PDA

View Full Version : Weather 1st Week of December

Amommy21
09-20-2012, 05:34 AM
DH just dropped the bomb that we might go the 1st week in December. What will the weather be like? Will it still rain every afternoon? Shorts or long pants? What will swimming be like?

We are from the northwest so anything over 70 is warm to us and we have webbed feet and aren't afraid of a little rain.

traceyw
09-20-2012, 07:02 AM
You really just have to keep an eye on the weather. We've gone that week several times and had years where it was in the 80's every day and years when there was frost in the morning and we're in sweatshirts all day. It does tend to be drier at that time, though, and is a terrific time to go with all the holiday decorations in full force.

Chaoticsweetness
09-20-2012, 07:09 AM
DH just dropped the bomb that we might go the 1st week in December. What will the weather be like? Will it still rain every afternoon? Shorts or long pants? What will swimming be like?

We are from the northwest so anything over 70 is warm to us and we have webbed feet and aren't afraid of a little rain.

Last year it was on the warm side, we wore shorts until it started cooling down at the end of the week. It rained twice.

2010 it was freezing! No joke, we wore layers.

Florida weather is iffy in December. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast & pack to be prepared for anything.

Missytara
09-20-2012, 07:21 AM
First, there is no way of predicting weather this far out. Florida is part of the Atlantic, so it has hot/cold spells just like the rest of us; it is not like the Caribbean, where you have a range of temperatures that it sticks to.

I have been the week after Thanksgiving almost every year since 2000. The weather has never been the same from year to year. Also, I work outside, so I tend to tolerate cold better than most; what could be considered "cool" to someone else is actually very comfortable to me.

Therefore, it is best to check the weather about two to three days before you leave (the forecast will change if you watch it 7 to 10 days before you leave). Look at the temperatures and dress what is comfortable for you in that temperature. Plan on taking layers, that you can easily modify as the day goes on.

DebbieB
09-20-2012, 07:29 AM
I've gone that week many times. I've seen highs in the 40's and highs in the 80's, it really varies. Prepare for everything and make your final packing decisions right before you go by looking at the forecast. If the high is under 70, it gets cold at night, I've had trips where I brought my winter coat.

lylone
09-20-2012, 08:37 AM
We went last year to the World the same week and actually live in GA. It was chilly in the evenings but warm during day. Also, it is quite humid in Florida and while you are chilly, you can also be sweaty.
But do watch the weather forecasters....but even they can be wrong sometimes also.
I would pack a variety... Jeans, shorts, t shirts, sweat shirts and always bring your swim suit just in case. The pools are heated....

Karabee
09-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Last year it was on the warm side, we wore shorts until it started cooling down at the end of the week. It rained twice.

Florida weather is iffy in December. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast & pack to be prepared for anything.

I was there in 2012 also - it was SO COLD!!! I just remember walking around thinking "it must be warmer back home!" :lmao: It ended up being some of the coldest FL days on record!

So as others have said, it really ranges. So bring layers and at night plan on wearing pants. I would also suggest a poncho for the water rides - even if it's not cold out, it's not the type of weather I would want to stay wet in.

MinnesotaMouseketeers
09-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Now a-days you can go on-line and check the forecast ahead of time. That's how we knew we would have to dress for winter in Orlando this January when we went. So we brought the appropriate clothing. We had two mornings when we woke up in the mid 30s. The rest of the trip was fantastic.

Check on-line before you go. Or be prepared for some cool weather when you pack. I doubt (fingers crossed) that you will run into what we had.

Alabama Minnie
09-20-2012, 06:36 PM
This is our FAVORITE time to go. Most of the time we have worn t-shirts during the day and packed a long-sleeve shirt or light jacket for the evenings.

In 2010 when we went they had RECORD cold temps. in FL. It was so cold we had to miss the parade at MK but it was really more magical to sit and watch the Osborne lights drinking hot cocoa and the snow misting on you. We don't get alot of that down here. I even got to wear those Xmas sweaters I had been taking every year.

WEDWDW
09-20-2012, 06:53 PM

I was there in 2012 also - it was SO COLD!!! I just remember walking around thinking "it must be warmer back home!" :lmao: It ended up being some of the coldest FL days on record!
I think Karabee meant 2010.;):)

In 2010 when we went they had RECORD cold temps. in FL. It was so cold we had to miss the parade at MK but it was really more magical to sit and watch the Osborne lights drinking hot cocoa and the snow misting on you.

How cold was it in the legendary December of 2010?:)

It was "22 degrees,Horticulture Cast had to cover up all the plants" cold!:)

I STILL haven't thawed out!:)

I am getting cold just looking at the Pop Century plants all covered up!:)

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww131/kjm71958/086-1.jpg

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww131/kjm71958/064.jpg

ktlm
09-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Shorts or long pants?

BOTH! The weather can be anything and it can change FAST. I'm talking we have literally been in shorts one day and winter coats the next. You might have swimming weather for all or part of the week, you might not. Do not trust the forecast even if you look at multiple sources the night before you leave including the local stations websites. We have been every December for the last 4 years, and I made that mistake the first year. Final check the night before from multiple sources showed right around 70 degrees for the high predicted every day for a week. Perfect weather for thin long sleeved shirts and jeans, right? Well, they had an unexpected heat wave our second day there and it was between 82 and 85 degrees the rest of the week. We were sweating! We had to buy T-shirts and boy were we wishing we had shorts with us. We have started off the week with 80 degree temperatures in shorts day and night and ended it in sweaters and coats. We've been at MVMCP in shorts and not cold at all with all our cute christmas clothes staying in the suitcase, and we've been with our cute Christmas clothes covered up by coats. Most trips it has been dry, but one trip we had what I refer to as "the monsoon". Torrential rains off and on for about a day and a half. Pack a little bit of everything so that you will be prepared for anything.

WEDWDW, I love it every time you post that forecast picture! That is so WDW in December- might be 80...might be 50!

MickeyNicki
09-20-2012, 07:10 PM
We have gone the first week in Dec for years and a few times the temps were in the low 30's to low 40's at night but the day is usually comfortable, mid 60-70s

I love it! Gets me in the holiday mood. Living in SWFL for 22 years my idea of cold is not the same as someone from the north.

I live 3 hours south of WDW and it is much warmer here at the same time of the year

Dizzytime
09-20-2012, 07:14 PM

Congratulations on going, and what a great time to be there! Christmas, wow! and it's sure one of our favorite times to be at DW weather-wise, too.

You've already heard it could be hot, could be cold, could be wet, or...whatever. The many times we've been there it's usually something in between or a mix of all of the above. We have normally expected, and mostly had, warmer,sunnier days and cooler nights but we prepare anything, especailly the up's and down's. Since we're coming from CA we just pack a of a little of everything, plus laundry soap.... and that's worked out great.

I would not trade the weather in Dec, Jan ,Feb in Fla for any other time of year. I know you'll have fun!

:goodvibes

MinnesotaMouseketeers
09-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Congratulations on going, and what a great time to be there! Christmas, wow! and it's sure one of our favorite times to be at DW weather-wise, too.

I would not trade the weather in Dec, Jan ,Feb in Fla for any other time of year. I know you'll have fun!

:goodvibes

Just want to agree with Dizzytime, while it can be cool and or cold it is a fantastic time to be in WDW. Christmas decorations are beautiful. And a Cold day in WDW is way better than a HOT/HUMID day in WDW. We did an August trip; over my DW's birthday. She insisted on going. When we got home she admitted that August was a mistake. The heat and humidity was just TOO much.

Karabee
09-21-2012, 10:10 PM
I think Karabee meant 2010.;):)

Oops!!! I did :)

sndral
09-21-2012, 10:55 PM
How cold was it in the legendary December of 2010?:)

It was "22 degrees,Horticulture Cast had to cover up all the plants" cold!:)

I STILL haven't thawed out!:)

Yep, I was there in 2010, and remember seeing coverings over the plants. I still have that cute pair of knit gloves w/ Mickey hands on them that I bought! I'd brought things to keep me warm as 2009 Dec was fairly cold, but 2010 was even colder. It was cold like 2010, in late Dec. 2000, when I was there as well - a lot of the tropical plants bit the dust that year. Last early December was gorgeous, I'm hoping this year is just like last year.

BenandMorgsMom
09-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Oh my....I am rolling on the floor. Those pictures of the TV and the weather forecast is hysterical. I could not agree more about the variability of weather. We went down Thanksgiving day in 2010 thru the first week of December. I can honestly say I was shaking my head at the cold but it is hit or miss. I start the "Weather Obsession" several weeks out and pack accordingly. I will be down this year again 12/1 for a little holiday cheer. I have my warm checklist and the cold checklist ready to go.
Thanks for the visual memories. :thumbsup2