PDA

View Full Version : Just back from split CR/POR Stay

poohgirl6
09-17-2012, 05:56 PM
We were at CR 09/02/12-09/09/12 then transferred over to POR for 5 nights.

We have stayed at CR twice before this trip (and one trip received a scathing review from us, the second one was just ok). So I wasn't really too excited about staying there this time.:rolleyes: However, DH had a conference at CR and the conference rate was $148 + tax and we scored a Tower Room with Bay Lake view. :cool1: I gotta say, we ended up loving this room:lovestruc Our view of Bay Lake, the marina, the Contemp pool, was awesome. We were on the 8th floor, center (first room off the elevator) and had a really nice-sized balcony. Watching the EWP each evening was such a nice ending to our day. The room was clean, in good shape, and very roomy. Loved everything about it except for those ridiculous bathroom sinks:mad: All CMs at this resort were friendly and helpful, and a few were even magicalpixiedust: The elevators were fast and we had no probs with them. My only complaint (and it is pretty minor) is lack of QS options. The Contempo Cafe was user-friendly, quick, and food was pretty decent....just not very many choices and they got old after a week there. I realize there is CA Grill and The Wave but we weren't on dining plan, and didn't have the budget or time for TS all the time :rolleyes1 And, I did have to go to the Garden wing to do laundry, which was a minor inconvenience :laundy: I did love the convenience of just swiping my room key to pay for it though:thumbsup2 All in all we absolutely fell in love with the CR and experienced Disney Magic unlike any we've had in many years:beach: Can't believe I am saying this, but my family will definitely return to the CR on our next trip:rotfl2:

We then transferred to POR and the transfer was quick and easy. We had CR Bell services pick up our luggage and tag it for us then we headed over to POR for lunch. We checked in, ate lunch and went to room, called POR bell services, and they delivered our luggage at 3pm. :thumbsup2

We had stayed at POR (back when it was Dixie Landings) several years ago. This is truly a lovely resort with mature, lush landscaping and a very peaceful atmosphere. Our room was fine in terms of cleanliness + size (even after moving over from the larger CR rooms). The CMs were great and the food choices/quality were awesome IMHO. Spent a few evenings at the main pool + hot tub and it was fine. Dixie Landings has grown up nice! Only cons for us: the crazy crowds at food court for breakfast (and I do mean crazy:crazy: ) and the buses. It's been a long time since we stayed at a resort where our only park transportation was buses and now I remember why:eek: Although we never waited more than 15-20 mins for a bus, we never rode a bus (early, mid-day, or late night) where the bus wasn't packed and lots of people were not standing (sometime it was us that stood, sometimes others). On the plus side: I never saw rude guests or drivers. Saw lots of folks offering seats to ladies, kids, elderly, etc.:) I wouldn't mind going back to POR at all, but I would prob rent a car to avoid bus burnout.

This was a trip of many new experiences for us: 1) We used ME for the first time since we flew instead of driving. ME was so efficient and easy. Was very impressed with this service. 2) My kids did the Disney YES Program and we purchased discounted park tickets through them. They enjoyed the class they took, and it saved us about 40% on our ticket prices. Would also highly recommend this for those who could qualify (only certain ages and certain times of year, cannot be combined with any package, etc). 3) We also worked as volunteers at both nights at MK during NOJ 09/07-09/08/12. The crowds were not nearly as bad as I had anticipated and even with heavy rain on the first night, a great time was had by all. 4) DH attended conference at CR the first week and then we began our vacation. Although we were exhausted before we even started touring the parks (the rest of our family volunteered as help at conference the whole week), we all agreed it was pretty easy combining work + fun and would do it again. 5) Spent 12 nights at WDW (previously 8 nights longest trip). We were able to do everything we wanted and I was ready to come home.

Favorite trip memory: We met up with some close friends for a late night dinner at Ohana and just about the time dessert was served Hallowishes began with the soundtrack piped into the restaurant. It was amazing and made me want to attend one of those parties to see it! It was such unexpected magic:goodvibes

JerseyJanice
09-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Thank you for a fun-to-read review!

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. In our 2000 trip, we spent 3 nights at CR, then 5 nights at French Quarter. It was one of my favorite trips ever. :cloud9: Both resorts were different enough that it almost felt like 2 trips in one.

Welcome home! :wave2:

poohgirl6
09-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Thank you for a fun-to-read review!

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. In our 2000 trip, we spent 3 nights at CR, then 5 nights at French Quarter. It was one of my favorite trips ever. :cloud9: Both resorts were different enough that it almost felt like 2 trips in one.

Welcome home! :wave2:

Awww thank you for reading along:) Glad to be home, catch up on sleep + laundry, but already planning next year's trip:p

Sadie22
09-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Our last stay was at the Contemporary, a tower room with Bay Lake view, on a convention rate. That spoiled me.

poohgirl6
09-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Our last stay was at the Contemporary, a tower room with Bay Lake view, on a convention rate. That spoiled me.

Yep, that'll do it;) I was really shocked at how much better we liked the Tower Wing over our previous Garden Wing stays:lmao: