PDA

View Full Version : First time at Disney - Staying at Poly

MonogramMom
09-17-2012, 12:25 PM
We arrive on Saturday. We are all first timers and would love any tips or tricks. I keep reading about the refrigerator doors being tricky....

StacyMarie
09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
If the volcano pool is too crowded or loud, the quiet pool is the best. When we stayed at the Poly, we didn't spend any time in the volcano pool. It was WAY too crowded. The quiet pool was right out our door and was never crowded.

dansdad
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
We arrive on Saturday. We are all first timers and would love any tips or tricks. I keep reading about the refrigerator doors being tricky....

Two VERY informative links you should check out.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2985839
http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

Have fun!

heidijanesmith
09-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Two VERY informative links you should check out.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2985839
http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

Have fun!

Congrats on your 1st stay and the Poly pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

The Poly is our favorite resort, for sure. We did have issues with the fridge not staying cold. I have read that if you leave the cabinet door open, it increases the air flow, which makes the fridge work better.

This did not help our fridge out. Maintenance came to look at it, but it really did not keep stuff cold enough (milk and cream cheese). we brought with us two collapsible coolers. We just filled them in the AM and PM with ice and that kept all of our stuff cold.

We liked the quiet pool better also, the volcano pool was crowded.

Make sure you explore the resort and take the monorail to explore the other MK resorts. So much fun!

TDluvsDaisy
09-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I've stayed at the Poly 3 times now. Each was a magical experience.

Take time to roam the resort. It is so peaceful. My DH says that even though the resort may be nearly full, it never seemed crowded.

The main pool is really fun, however the quiet pool was not busy first thing in the am. DH and DS had a ton of fun playing and swimming.

The surry bikes are great!! (check for spiders before getting in!)

Captain Cooks is tasty! If you want something to go ask for a paper bag if it's not out on the counter. They have lids for the plates too.

tinkermommyof3
09-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Congratulations! Poly was our first resort and it is still our favorite. There are so many fabulous things about the Poly as you know and will find out. However, the transportation options make it so convenient in many ways. Boat, monorail or bus. You have the TTC (transportation and ticket center) within walking distance. Take this to Epcot and save some time. Also, after a few trips we realized there was a TTC bus at Animal Kingdom Park. When the Poly bus line was very long, we walked over to TTC bus. We were dropped off just a few steps from Poly. :goodvibes

Belleofthehouse
09-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Keeping the cabinet door open to the fridge definitely helped keep things cool for us.

Use the TTC if your bldg is close enough. We never went to the GCH to catch the monorail, because we were sooo close to TTC!

Capt. Cooks is delicious!

Enjoy the quietness of the beach area in the evenings. I am NOT a fan of the MK for Wishes, but the beach is a perfect spot see the show.

Have a great time!

DisneyFansInNYC
09-18-2012, 09:06 PM
We have never stayed at Poly but want to. You mush eat at Ohana. It is great. We never miss it. If you don't have reservations - try to get them.

mickeynut1
09-18-2012, 09:13 PM
You will love the Poly :goodvibes. The Poly is our favorite resort and we love everything about it. The grounds are beautiful, the volcano pool is fun, Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals/snacks, and the beach is an awesome place for relaxing in a hammock :cloud9:. Plus it's so peaceful walking around at night under the lit tiki torches. Have a great trip :wizard:.

woodkins
09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Biggest tip is to walk to the TTC for the monorail rather than the GCH!

Butterflygirl35
09-19-2012, 08:44 AM
I have not stayed at Poly but I have stayed at GF.. but first I just wanted to say...

HAVE A MAGICAL TRIP!!! pixiedust:

The monorail is convenient but the boat launch is relaxing (if you are not in a hurry) and gives you amazing views and photo opps.

DznyCrzy11
09-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Keep the cabinet door to the fridge open, the fridge will stay cooler this way. If you are going to EPCOT, it's faster to walk to the TTC rather than taking the monorail all the way around. If you get a room with a balcony, sit out on it for a little bit and just enjoy your surroundings. If you leave MK late at night and the resort monorail is packed, take the boat. It's also nice taking the boat to MK in the mornings.

Sent from my GalaxyS II

DznyCrzy11
09-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Oh, and be sure to watch the fireworks from the beach atleast once! Have you put in a request for a specific longhouse? I would suggest a marina view at Fiji. We love Fiji because it's so close to the GCH, which we were in and out of alot. The marina view is great, especially if you get a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony. It is a little further from the TTC than some of the other longhouses but we didn't mind the walk as it's a nice, relaxing walk.

Sent from my GalaxyS II

The Fox Menagerie
09-19-2012, 03:08 PM
We are staying at the Poly next June for the first time. Thanks OP for the question and other posters for the great information!

cmadara
09-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Love, love , love it!! The first time we took our DD to WDW, I had originally book the CBR. I got a call a couple of months before our trip to say they were closing the CBR for a huge overhaul. Would we mind being upgraded to the Poly for an extra $100- for the entire trip- not per night!! I said "book it!!!" We have been staying there ever since!
Capt Cook's is great and Ohana's is fabulous!
Have a wonderful time- we will be there in November!pixiedust:

Masonmj84
09-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Love, love , love it!! The first time we took our DD to WDW, I had originally book the CBR. I got a call a couple of months before our trip to say they were closing the CBR for a huge overhaul. Would we mind being upgraded to the Poly for an extra $100- for the entire trip- not per night!! I said "book it!!!" We have been staying there ever since!
Capt Cook's is great and Ohana's is fabulous!
Have a wonderful time- we will be there in November!pixiedust:

Wow, that is some serious pixie dust!

B's Marie
09-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Congratulations! Poly was our first resort and it is still our favorite. There are so many fabulous things about the Poly as you know and will find out. However, the transportation options make it so convenient in many ways. Boat, monorail or bus. You have the TTC (transportation and ticket center) within walking distance. Take this to Epcot and save some time. Also, after a few trips we realized there was a TTC bus at Animal Kingdom Park. When the Poly bus line was very long, we walked over to TTC bus. We were dropped off just a few steps from Poly. :goodvibes

Great tip!!:thumbsup2