PDA

View Full Version : Resort misconceptions you wish people would not make

Sparrow624
09-17-2012, 10:37 AM
I have 2 based on my trips to Disney over the last 7 years:

1. People who think/loudly proclaim that everyone who stays in the Grand Floridian is "rich." Due to the fact that the GF is a monorail stop, I have heard this one frequently (last time, a loud "must be nice" from a dad as we got off) and in fact, I would argue that it is quite the oppposite. My wife and I are teachers and save, pinching pennies, for 2-3 years to make the trip. Last time we were there, we jokingly called our floor the "government employees floor" as we met a fireman, another teacher, and an EMS worker and their families. Weird that we were grouped together on the same floor. I have consistantly met many people like this who save up for these trips at each stay. We only get to take a trip once every 2-4 years, so when we do, we like to splurge.

2. People who refer/act like poeple staying at a non-deluxe resort are somehow of a lower class. Or give the whole "why does OUR bus have to stop here" complaint. I guess this shows that there are some people that #1 complains about, but not everyone.

Who else has some?

Mariep26
09-17-2012, 10:52 AM

2. People who refer/act like poeple staying at a non-deluxe resort are somehow of a lower class. Or give the whole "why does OUR bus have to stop here" complaint. I guess this shows that there are some people that #1 complains about, but not everyone.

Who else has some?

You pretty much nailed mine with the second item. We stay value because right now my kids are completely nuts over Toy Story/Cars etc.. and I want them to have the full experience. We are looking at moderates for certain upcoming trips but I am in no hurry to try a Deluxe resort. I definitely get the impression here on the boards and elsewhere that we are judged based on this choice regardless of my motivations for the choice. I don't really care, just don't understand why people have to turn a fun, family vacation into an opportunity to judge others.. blech.

Sparrow624
09-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Completely agree with you. We are seriously considering staying at AofA next summer with our 1 year old. She loves bright colors. I have stayed in Deluxe and off sight, but we want to try other hotels. Will be interesting to see things from different perspectives.

spiceycat
09-17-2012, 11:11 AM
some people think that values are awfully and they have never even stayed in a value resort.

don't judge something until you try it.

DVC use to be a good value - now resale still is - but with the prices going up - up with each new resort - it is no longer the value it was. (unless you go resale)

Missytara
09-17-2012, 11:14 AM
I also think the biggest misconceptions are the bus services and other forms of transportation.

I love, love, love POR and often go solo, so I tend to travel at off-peak times during the day and a bit slower time.

I don't understand why people go at the busiest time of the year and the busiest time of day and don't expect the buses to be crowded.....

And I don't see why people would pick a resort solely on transportation. Some people will post with what resort has the best bus service. And that is such a subjective question.

I find a 15 minute wait not out of the ordinary, but people wait a few minutes are already getting ansty about the bus getting there.

tofubeast
09-17-2012, 11:19 AM
-CSR is just a 'conference hotel'. That it lacks Disney theme'ing. etc..etc..

gigi729
09-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Totally agree! We usually stay DLX but have stayed in values too! In fact after booking our trip for this Oct. at Bay Lake Tower we found out the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA were going to be opening earlier than originally anticipated. So we added 2 nts to our trip to stay there too! So I guess we are an anomoly to some people!!! Monorail loop and value all in one stay!!!:rotfl2: And we are neither rich or white trash, we are on 1 income as I am a SAHM. We too save and pinch pennies for 2 + years so that when we do come to Disney we can stay where we choose!!!;)

Raenstoirm
09-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Totally agree! We usually stay DLX but have stayed in values too! In fact after booking our trip for this Oct. at Bay Lake Tower we found out the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA were going to be opening earlier than originally anticipated. So we added 2 nts to our trip to stay there too! So I guess we are an anomoly to some people!!! Monorail loop and value all in one stay!!!:rotfl2: And we are neither rich or white trash, we are on 1 income as I am a SAHM. We too save and pinch pennies for 2 + years so that when we do come to Disney we can stay where we choose!!!;)

You are just like us. We tend to stay deluxe, but I really want to try every resort! I will say though, we stayed at ASM a few years back and I was not impressed. I had originally considered each All Star it's own resort to stay at and I just cant do that again. The external themeing was awesome, but the rooms were just icky (run down- "hotel" themed verses the mods and deluxes with their all inclusive themes- small uncomfortable beds). So we made a point to visit the exterior of all three and I lumped them together to say we stayed at the "All Stars." :rolleyes:

spiceycat
09-17-2012, 11:48 AM
You are just like us. We tend to stay deluxe, but I really want to try every resort! I will say though, we stayed at ASM a few years back and I was not impressed. I had originally considered each All Star it's own resort to stay at and I just cant do that again. The external themeing was awesome, but the rooms were just icky (run down- "hotel" themed verses the mods and deluxes with their all inclusive themes- small uncomfortable beds). So we made a point to visit the exterior of all three and I lumped them together to say we stayed at the "All Stars." :rolleyes:

think you would be surprised - the all stars have changed. all have been updates in the last few years.

Pop is different from the values - it to me is a more fun resort. besides love lakes - Pop has one - the all stars do not.

Belle & Ariel
09-17-2012, 11:49 AM
The misconception I laugh about every year is that All Stars share buses so Pop is better.
Every morning and night each resort has dedicated buses. Midday they share but even stopping at 3 resorts you have a shorter wait for a bus at the park so I think you are back quicker.

I don't judge income/status by where people stay. We live comfortably but choose to stay value or DVC and vacation 3-4 weeks a year. Others scrape to spend several hundred dollars a night once every couple years. Of course there are the truly well off who stay at the GF and the paycheck to paycheck who stay value.
I could care less where someone stays and don't understand why some are so interested.

HM
09-17-2012, 11:50 AM
The transportation thing gets to me too.

All Stars "share" buses say so many. I've hardly ever been on a shared bus when staying in the AS Resorts (seven stays). The only time they seem to share is midday when demand is down. Mornings and end of park days, your resort gets it's own bus.

Our best bus experience was our recent All Star Sports stay. We were never on a full bus, never had to stand, and we almost always got on a waiting us or waited less than five minutes. It was great.

Worst bus experiences were at during our stays at GF and the Poly. We had to wait ages at the resort for buses to come and when they did, we had to stand because they picked up other resorts first. There was never a time a bus was waiting to pick us up and generally we waited about 15 minutes and sometimes much more. Sure it's easy to get to MK or Epcot on monorail, but the other parks are not so easy.

And I agree with OP about GF. By the time we got to stay there, we'd already stayed at ASMu, CBR, WL, AKL, Poly, and BWI. We found that the very same types of people stayed at all of them, people from every walk of life. It didn't seem rich or stuck up at all.

uagirl
09-17-2012, 11:58 AM

1. People who think/loudly proclaim that everyone who stays in the Grand Floridian is "rich." Due to the fact that the GF is a monorail stop, I have heard this one frequently (last time, a loud "must be nice" from a dad as we got off) and in fact, I would argue that it is quite the oppposite. My wife and I are teachers and save, pinching pennies, for 2-3 years to make the trip. Last time we were there, we jokingly called our floor the "government employees floor" as we met a fireman, another teacher, and an EMS worker and their families. Weird that we were grouped together on the same floor. I have consistantly met many people like this who save up for these trips at each stay. We only get to take a trip once every 2-4 years, so when we do, we like to splurge.

This drives me crazy. I have only stayed in deluxe resorts. Twice as a child and both times my parents spent years saving up for the trip. Both times as an adult, my husband and I have saved like crazy to make it happen. We're doing it again this time. Could we go more often if we stayed value? Sure, but it's not what we choose to do. We are planning our next trip for 2014, and I've already started saving so we can hopefully give the Contemporary a try.

Oh, and we are both government employees as well. :)

LisaTC
09-17-2012, 12:07 PM
When we booked our first trip, I had to take our TA's observations with a grain of salt because I didn't want to be unduly influenced and did my own research. She told me not to stay at any resort that was deemed conference center because they would always be so busy and crowded. She didn't like the Poly and thought the rooms at GF were too small for the $.

Thinking back, I think I chose based on the grounds to be frank. I thought POR looked beautiful, relaxing, tranquil...and how bad could the rooms be when we would only be sleeping there. Well, it was beautiful inside and out. I priced GF (my dream resort, 2nd is AKL) and for the price we opted for POR because we wanted to do some other things with the $ we saved. It was a close call and we are work-day-Joes...he's in the construction arena (and we all know how that's been these past couple of years) and I work at a Univ. We probably will stay at GF one day or AKL because we'll save for it, which is what I think most people do.

The people I saw at the POLY and GF looked like normal, average ( GASP!) hardworking humans to me! What do I know? (I do work in HR and have a fairly good sense of humans)...they still looked like people I'd have a cup of coffee with! We ate at Narcoosee's and got to see some of the grounds/lobby, etc of the GF. Very pretty. I understand from some posts the rooms are "dated?" Don't know if that's true.

I heard the horrors of the POR buses. Never experienced it. :confused3 Heard the horrors of the "huge-ness" of POR. Never had a problem.

I think with young ones the Values would be more attractive to them because they are colorful, animated places.

Ask any self-made millionaire...a value, is a value, is a value. Conversely, you work hard, you save hard, you stay Deluxe, you deserve it. You work hard, you save hard, you stay Moderate or Value, just as good! It's a choice. I never felt the need to bemoan anybody that got on at GF or the Poly or whatever. Kudos to them I say.

I don't get being criticized for staying on property..I guess that would be mine.

KonaKaiTom
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
If people couldn't judge others based on appearance, we would have no reality television. What would the Kardashians do for a living then? LOL!!!!

Make the best of what you can afford is my motto. I've been fortunate to have stayed in Ritz Carltons and Motel 6s and everything in between. As long as they are clean and relatively quiet, I can adapt.

As OP have stated, some people might have saved for years for a trip of a lifetime, others, like me, choose to make and bring my own lunch to work each day so I can pick where and how long I stay on vacation. If someone wants to judge me for that, have fun, I've got better things to do.

Tom

Alexsandra
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
There are always people who are jealous of what others have and the saddest part is that they feel justified in judging others. Even if I had millions (which I don't by the way) it doesn't make me any happier than the next. I think it is more validating to work hard to save up the pennies to pay ourselves something nice once in a while. If I always had the cash to get what I wanted all the time, I would not appreciate it as much.

I prefer going to Disney more often and staying in a moderate than paying for a deluxe. Also, a deluxe resort is lost on my kids which now are 5 and 2. They are just happy to be at WDW. When I go on vacation I am just happy to be there with my family and feel blessed to be able to take such a trip. I think people loose sight of what is important, especially when they spend their time comparing themselves to others! (The grass is greener on his side...)

The misconception I hate is that just because my kids are having a fit because their tired or their hungry or because they have been in the sun too long, does not mean they are bad kids or I am a bad mom. I hate when they give you that look, like you or your kids are aliens. At least, WDW is a place where most people understand that. I just don't get why some couples go to WDW when they hate kids!:confused3

GreenCntryGirl
09-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm not a fan of the presumption of income regardless of where one is staying.

Just because I can afford something more expensive doesn't necessarily mean I want to pay for it.

LisaTC
09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
The misconception I hate is that just because my kids are having a fit because their tired or their hungry or because they have been in the sun too long, does not mean they are bad kids or I am a bad mom. I hate when they give you that look, like you or your kids are aliens. At least, WDW is a place where most people understand that. I just don't get why some couples go to WDW when they hate kids!:confused3

I give a look...a look of empathy! The look of... I've been in your shoes, they must be so tired...that poor mother could use a spa day!

My husband gives a look, too..."boy I remember those day, thank heaven they are over!"

OT, but I deliberately try to make a comment to that effect when I see some people giving a parent the 'stink-eye' when their child is overtired and melting down to bring them back to reality that WDW makes kids tired and cranky. Deal with it! ;)

KonaKaiTom
09-17-2012, 01:07 PM

I watched a father berate his 3-4 year old son who was crying and screaming while we were in line for a ride - I think it was Pirates of the Caribbean - "Do you think everyone likes to wait in line, do you think they all want to hear you scream like a little baby...." I couldn't stand it and turned to him and said "sir, I don't think your son is having a meltdown because he is waiting in line -- he is having a meltdown because it is 10:45pm and he is exhausted!, so please stop yelling at him and put him to bed!" If it was morning, afternoon or early evening, I would have given the sympathetic, yep, been there, done that, thank God I'm not in you shoes -- but EMH at that late, what are you thinking?

Tom

ellie05
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
I think when it comes to Disney hotels is all about the theming. Dh and I want to try all the resorts because of the theming regardless of the categories. Actually DH liked POR more than WL it was so nice to walk out to a beautiful garden vs a hallway.
The reason we haven't stay at the values yet is because we weren't so appeal to the certain theme (we also are not big fan od the polynisian theme), but we do want to go to AoA maybe our next trip because this trip we couldn't pass the free dining.

tennessee
09-17-2012, 01:19 PM
I agree people are resort snobbs. I never judge a person by the resort they stay while at disney. My hubby and I travel alot and stay at nice hotels and base our trip around the hotel, but when we come to disney twice a year, we stay value, we stay most of our time at the parks and as long as the hotel is clean we could care less. Now if we were spending most of our time at the hotel then it would be differnt.I just love it when people on here say if you can afford why would u stay value, I love the values, it is so disney to me. So people dont judge, if u want to spend the money on the hotel and only go every 2 or 3 years than do it, we have to have a least one or two trips a year to get our disney fix. staying value means we can do this and still be able to go other vacations throughout the year.

Butterflygirl35
09-17-2012, 01:50 PM
I agree people are resort snobbs. I never judge a person by the resort they stay while at disney. My hubby and I travel alot and stay at nice hotels and base our trip around the hotel, but when we come to disney twice a year, we stay value, we stay most of our time at the parks and as long as the hotel is clean we could care less. Now if we were spending most of our time at the hotel then it would be differnt.I just love it when people on here say if you can afford why would u stay value, I love the values, it is so disney to me. So people dont judge, if u want to spend the money on the hotel and only go every 2 or 3 years than do it, we have to have a least one or two trips a year to get our disney fix. staying value means we can do this and still be able to go other vacations throughout the year.

I really think this works both ways... Just because I don't like values it does not make me a snob.. I don't like smaller beds, and bigger crowds... I have an autistic son who can get overwhelmed easily so I prefer a more laid back Disney vacation.it does not mean I judge others it just isn't right for me. So people who stay in Values should also not judge and call people who stay deluxe resort snobs.. The great thing about Disney is there is something for everyone

Lisann
09-17-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm so glad you brought up GF. I have never understood why people think that the Grand Floridian translates into snobbery. :confused3

Butterflygirl35
09-17-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm so glad you brought up GF. I have never understood why people think that the Grand Floridian translates into snobbery. :confused3

Agreed:thumbsup2

DebbieB
09-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Agree. It was the first resort I stayed at in 1994 and didn't have any preconceived notions and didn't feel that way at all.

*Fantasia*
09-17-2012, 08:31 PM
I watched a father berate his 3-4 year old son who was crying and screaming while we were in line for a ride - I think it was Pirates of the Caribbean - "Do you think everyone likes to wait in line, do you think they all want to hear you scream like a little baby...." I couldn't stand it and turned to him and said "sir, I don't think your son is having a meltdown because he is waiting in line -- he is having a meltdown because it is 10:45pm and he is exhausted!, so please stop yelling at him and put him to bed!" If it was morning, afternoon or early evening, I would have given the sympathetic, yep, been there, done that, thank God I'm not in you shoes -- but EMH at that late, what are you thinking?

Tom
I'm just wondering... what was his response? I applaud you. You are brave for confronting him. I wish I have the nerve to do that, but I am afraid that the parent will just scream at me and make the matter worse.

mistysue
09-17-2012, 08:40 PM
I think the funniest one we ran into was when my husband was in the elevator at YC. A little girl started talking and was telling him about something, then suddenly her mom broke in with "NO NO NO, we don't talk to HIM! He's staying on the 4th floor!" Of course, they were going up to club level... :( It hurt his feelings a bit.

I mean don't talk to him because he's a stranger or we don't know him or that's private or whatever... but what the heck is that? You have no idea how much another person in your same hotel paid for a room. It's possible there are even people in their precious club level who got a free upgrade. (the horror!) As far as she knew we could be paying more per night downstairs that others who were paying for club level with a discount. But somehow if you don't insist on 5th floor you are less of a person?

That was just so strange. I feel bad for the little girl.
We got a lot of strange responses (on both ends) letting people know we did a split stay with POP and YC.

jimjenkids
09-17-2012, 08:50 PM
very understandable....I have stayed at the Polly, when I was younger-with my parents....it was nice and more quiet and relaxed....the last trip we went with a mod and tried CBR, and my kids would rather go value and stay at POP....I think they like the bright colors and the family friendly atire.....What we spend for a "value or moderate" at Xmas, would alow us to do a deluxe during a lower time of the year.

I do think people do judge by where you stay. thus thinking that rich stay at the deluxe resorts.....we have chosen to go during the xmas season and thus we do pay more for a value than other times of theyear. I try not to justify to others as to why we stay where we stay. we have done all the all stars, POFQ, Polly, CBR as well as off site....there is NO one better place as long as you are at Disney. I do think that the first trip without the kids, we will be at the GF....It isnt one that my kids have wanted to do.....

we will be there in 93 days and cant wait....

Amy&Dan
09-17-2012, 08:57 PM
That the All Stars always share busses.

That the only way to nail the whole "location" factor is to stay deluxe.

That CSR is all about being a covention resort.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

missdisney1017
09-17-2012, 09:20 PM
To each their own! Personally we'd rather stay in a moderate and go once or twice a year! We hardly spend anytime in the room.

snowcupid
09-18-2012, 10:08 AM
We save up and wait for deals to stay at the CBR. One day I would love to stay at a monorail resort... but for now we are happy with CBR.

reiella
09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
#2 definitely,

#1, To be honest, I know folks who think that staying at any disney resort is a sign of doing well for themselves. And a few that think being able to have more than a staycation is well off. It's all perspective.

Missytara
09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
I like the fact that I am able to afford to go moderate once a year and I will be glad to go deluxe when I retire as something special.

I would hate to have to wait every three years to go, in order to go deluxe.

It is all a matter of choice.

KonaKaiTom
09-18-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm just wondering... what was his response? I applaud you. You are brave for confronting him. I wish I have the nerve to do that, but I am afraid that the parent will just scream at me and make the matter worse.

LOL, at just under 6' tall, I manage to tip the scales at 235lbs and weight train at least 4 days a week - "dainty" would not be used to describe me --- he shook his head and muttered something about people minding their own business and walked away.

Tom

artemis908
09-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Caribbean Beach gets a lot of hate because it's spread out, personally I LIKE that it's spread out because it means people aren't all clumped together. It feels more peaceful and less crowded. I like that the property also has a lot of beautiful landscaping and a little island in the middle. Essentially it's pretty easy to get to Old Port Royale no matter where you are or get a room near the bridge so you have an easy walk to OPR. CB also doesn't share a bus with other resorts like some others do.

waynesgirl
09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
A lot of people think my DH and I are loaded because we go to Disney and another spot every year. We are lucky that we have such great discounts available to us that make it possible- that is the reason we can.

I'm going to Disney because I want to give them my money, not because I have to do so.

(I know this wasn't a resorty answer but as you can see, I've stayed a lot and been to a bunch of different resorts.)

minnie mum
09-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Caribbean Beach gets a lot of hate because it's spread out, personally I LIKE that it's spread out because it means people aren't all clumped together. It feels more peaceful and less crowded. I like that the property also has a lot of beautiful landscaping and a little island in the middle. Essentially it's pretty easy to get to Old Port Royale no matter where you are or get a room near the bridge so you have an easy walk to OPR. CB also doesn't share a bus with other resorts like some others do.

I agree completely. It really annoys me when I read people comlain that CBR is too spread out. So is POR. So is CSR. POFQ is the only mod that has a compact layout. CBR is the perfect, laid back, tranquil resort for us. And you're right- having the villages spread out does make the resort a quieter, more peaceful place. As for the bus situation- we've never had a problem with them, after multiple stays. And for those who have to be close to dining and the main pool- pay for preferred and you're good to go- same as the other mods.

Having said all that, I really wish they'd put queen beds in the rooms there. Hopefully the next refurb will be soon.

minnie mum
09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
And regarding the issue of people in deluxe resorts being snobs. By and large this statement is false. But not completely.

There was a thread earlier this year where several posters loudly and proudly proclaimed their love for the deluxe resorts because they didn't have to deal with 'the riffraff' and 'trailer trash' that were to be found at the values and mods. :scared1: I know!! They actually had no shame in verbalizing this kind of ridiculous garbage.

Of course guests at the deluxes come from all walks of life and all socioeconomic strata! But some of those same guests still like to think they are better than everyone else based on the size of their platinum card limits.

We usually stay at the mods because that's what is comfortable for us. We've stayed value before, and didn't like them. But that was just our esthetic preference. We know lots of people who would RATHER stay at their favourite value. We stay deluxe occasionally if we are there for a special occasion. But we would rather stay at a mod more frequently and for a longer period, than go less often and for a shorter stay if we went deluxe.

dansdad
09-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I agree completely. It really annoys me when I read people comlain that CBR is too spread out. So is POR. So is CSR. POFQ is the only mod that has a compact layout. CBR is the perfect, laid back, tranquil resort for us. And you're right- having the villages spread out does make the resort a quieter, more peaceful place. As for the bus situation- we've never had a problem with them, after multiple stays. And for those who have to be close to dining and the main pool- pay for preferred and you're good to go- same as the other mods.

Having said all that, I really wish they'd put queen beds in the rooms there. Hopefully the next refurb will be soon.

I could not have said this better myself!:thumbsup2

dansdad
09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
And regarding the issue of people in deluxe resorts being snobs. By and large this statement is false. But not completely.

There was a thread earlier this year where several posters loudly and proudly proclaimed their love for the deluxe resorts because they didn't have to deal with 'the riffraff' and 'trailer trash' that were to be found at the values and mods. :scared1: I know!! They actually had no shame in verbalizing this kind of ridiculous garbage.

Of course guests at the deluxes come from all walks of life and all socioeconomic strata! But some of those same guests still like to think they are better than everyone else based on the size of their platinum card limits.

We usually stay at the mods because that's what is comfortable for us. We've stayed value before, and didn't like them. But that was just our esthetic preference. We know lots of people who would RATHER stay at their favourite value. We stay deluxe occasionally if we are there for a special occasion. But we would rather stay at a mod more frequently and for a longer period, than go less often and for a shorter stay if we went deluxe.

I remember that thread and was equally shocked.:confused3

Karabee
09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I agree with these :goodvibes

The thing I hate is when people talk about "how far AKL is from everything". Really? Because AK is next door to it! If you look at a map, AKL is closer to AK, HS and the same distance to EPCOT as GF. It's just not the closest to MK. Plus, let's face it, for those of us who go there alot, we know something could be near or far and it's really going to depend on the transportation! ;)

I also agree with the "spread out" thing. I LOVE OKW and people seem shocked I would like a resort so spread out. If I can't walk around my resort a bit, with the beautiful well-manicured grounds and enjoy the fresh air and relaxation, I certainly shouldn't be walking around a theme park all day! :p (Clearly this doesn't include those with mobility issues).

I Love Pluto
09-18-2012, 12:22 PM
We are Passholders. We stay Value & Mod because that is what we LIKE, not because some law is laid for us.

Deluxe would take us down to less trips a year. 3 or 4 trips at Deluxe prices would not be possible. I NEED to see Mickey every few months. So - the Annual Passes with Value & Mod stays works for us.

I think it's all what a person wants & needs to get out of a vacation that dictates where we stay. If I made only ONE trip a year, I would definitely stay Deluxe. Why not?

No - I don't feel that anyone turns their noses up at me. I feel that I exist WITH the Deluxe people at WDW, not under them. :goodvibes

browneyedgrl4282
09-18-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree with these :goodvibes

The thing I hate is when people talk about "how far AKL is from everything". Really? Because AK is next door to it! If you look at a map, AKL is closer to AK, HS and the same distance to EPCOT as GF. It's just not the closest to MK. Plus, let's face it, for those of us who go there alot, we know something could be near or far and it's really going to depend on the transportation! ;)

I also agree with the "spread out" thing. I LOVE OKW and people seem shocked I would like a resort so spread out. If I can't walk around my resort a bit, with the beautiful well-manicured grounds and enjoy the fresh air and relaxation, I certainly shouldn't be walking around a theme park all day! :p (Clearly this doesn't include those with mobility issues).

I LOVE AKL, people told me I was nuts for wanting to stay there because it too so long to get anywhere. Uh no the bus rides were not bad at all and we never waited too long.

OKW is a great resort too!

mcd2745
09-18-2012, 01:23 PM

:thumbsup2 THIS!

People somehow get the notion that if you stay at CBR you'll be walking miles and miles to get back and forth to the pool and food court and also that you'll spend an hour on the buses before you leave the resort. We love CBR, have had very few bus issues and never had to walk that much to get around the resort.

When it comes to the GF debate...I really think it has less to do with how much it costs (the Poly really isn't that much less but doesn't get the same reputation) and more to do with the Victorian theme which a lot of people associate with a little "stuffiness", if you will. Whether that's fair or not...who's to say? I know I have never had any desire to stay there because that themimg does not appeal to me at all even though we could probably afford it.

We have stayed at two deluxes in the past - Beach Club and Contemporary. I was not impressed with the Contemporary at all and have no desire to return (my DS wants to stay there though, just for the "cool" factor of the monorail stopping inside the resort). The Beach Club I would return to, but for the main reason of location, location, location as we spend more time at Epcot than any other park. The theming is nice, but nothing that really draws me. Stormalong Bay is great, but since it closes early and you really don't get to use it upon returning from the parks after they close (we usually stay until closing), that kind of negates it.

So while we can afford to stay deluxe, we'll probably keep CBR as our main resort choice (none of the other mods interest me). And like I said above, I didn't care for the Contemporary and I have never had any desire to stay at the GF (same goes for the WL and DVC resorts - we prefer some mousekeeping). Boardwalk I'm completely indifferent towards - seems nice but if I'm going to stay in that area, might as well go back to BC. The only resorts I would really like to try are the Poly and AKL.

Like others have said, WDW is great in that it supplies guests with lots of choices. To each their own.

susieq76
09-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Its the "Wow, Disney again? You MUST be doing really well" comments.

Drives me crazy. The same people that say this go out to dinner twice a week while we eat home on a budget every night so that we can have our Disney vacation. Ugh.

Butterflygirl35
09-18-2012, 02:00 PM
CBR has great theming IMO but the only reason I wont stay are full beds.. To me it is a deal breaker.. Hopefully they change that soon!!!

I also love OKW, great laid back feel and boat to DTD..

That being said we LOVE almost all Disney resorts and go multiple times a year..

We choose by deals found, points availability, etc..

My only stay away from is Values and not because theme but I need the bigger beds..

I love GF but also love Boardwalk.. Every vacation is different and we love to try new resorts...Love the monorail but without a deal... I just can't justify it.. Hopefully a nice bounce back will be in our room at Boardwalk in January as I really would like to try Poly

hgeisler
09-18-2012, 02:01 PM
That the CR is boring and has no theming,so it is not worth the money. It may not have blatant theming,but it is a beautiful resort with an AMAZING view of MK,the fireworks,and Bay Lake. It has a great TS restaurant in the Wave (Sorry,not a fan of Cali Grill:/).The rooms are large and plush,the staff is friendly and attentive,and you can walk to the MK. What else could you want?;)

DVCismyhappyplace
09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
I just don't get why some couples go to WDW when they hate kids!:confused3

That's the misconception I wish people wouldn't make....DH and I are childfree by choice. We go to WDW because we LOVE it. Believe it or not, having traveled most of the world, some of my favorite romantic moments with DH have occurred at Disney. Disney is not just for kids nor is it just for people who like kids.

tsme
09-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I completely agree with you, DVCismyhappyplace. I'm not a fan of children. But I love Disney & it makes me & my DH happy to be there. It's not just for children or people who like children, it's for everyone!:thumbsup2

And I also get the comments of you're going back to Disney. A close friend of mine actually told me, "OMG, I don't know why you keep going back to Disney World, if I had that kind of money I'd travel the world!" :eek: Not very nice, but I knew she just didn't get it.

To get back on topic: We've stayed at the POR, Poly, & BC, loved all three, but Poly was our favorite. Mostly what annoys me is someone assuming that you're "crazy" to pay for a Disney hotel, whether it's deluxe, mod., or value. It's all about what you like. We love staying on properity & it's worth for us.

StitchandPooh'sMom
09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
My resort pet peeves:

1. That CSR is not "Disney" enough or not family-friendly since it is a convention resort. So are GF, BW, YC and CR, but people don't complain that they are not Disney enough or family-friendly enough. Maybe because CSR is a mod, it is less acceptable for the theming to be understated? Disney is about great theming and service, not just giant cartoon icons.

2. That we are somehow less worthy when we stay at a moderate instead of a deluxe. We sometimes stay at CSR, sometimes stay at a deluxe, and even occasionally stay CL. But the comments on the DIS suggest that we must somehow be "settling" if we choose to stay at a mod, or we just can't afford a deluxe. Which I can deal with pretty well personally, but the threads about the "value people" are just offensive. We don't stay value because DH prefers a queen bed and he doesn't like loud colors at a resort - it has nothing to do with the class of people or the price of the rooms. We have seen classy and not-so-classy people at different resorts as well as in real life - income is definitely not the determining factor. ;)

Scott MC
09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
I wish people wouldn't be so hard on the Swan and Dolphin. I've now stayed at both, but I've also sayed at the GF, BLT, WL, BC, BWI, and AKL. Five of my trips have also inclued Club Level stays. While I've enjoyed all my Disney deluxe stays, I also thoroughly enjoyed my Swan and Dolphin stays. Here's why....

1. Location, location, location....you can't beat the walk or boat ride to both Epcot and Studios.

2. Beds...they're better than any Disney-owned hotel...period.

3. Bedding and pillows....more luxurious than any Disney-owned hotel.

4. Toiletries...I enjoy them as much as H2o+ products at Disney-owned hotels.

5. S & D share buses with BWI and sometimes YC and BC....and are picked up last and dropped off first! Same with boats to the Studios!

6. There may be no hidden Mickeys in the room...but you can buy all the Mickeys your heart desires in the lobby gift shop....and looking out your window and seeing ToT, Expedition Everest, or Spaceship Earth? It doesn't get more Disney than that!

7. PRICE!- For our next trip, a full stay at a deluxe isn't financially in the cards, and we priced out both POR and The Dolphin. For a 4-night stay, the Dolphin rack-rate came out to be less than $100 more....total. For us...the location and the comfort make this choice a no-brainer. We're going to stay at the Dolphin...and I frequently see it on Priceline for about $45/night less than the rack-rate...if this happens, then it will actually be cheaper than a moderate! Deluxe hotel for less than a moderate? Yes please!

In summation....S & D aren't my favorite hotels on the property, but BC and BWI are, so we've decided that when we're blessed enough to have the funds, we'll stay at BC or BWI, but when money is tight, we'll be more than glad to stay at the Swan or Dolphin, and I think these resorts deserve a little more respect around here! ::yes::

*Fantasia*
09-18-2012, 07:48 PM
LOL, at just under 6' tall, I manage to tip the scales at 235lbs and weight train at least 4 days a week - "dainty" would not be used to describe me --- he shook his head and muttered something about people minding their own business and walked away.

Tom

Hehehe... He is smart for not saying anything after he saw you! ;) I wish he was smart of how to handled his child. At that late at night.. yep, that child should have been in bed. :worship: Kudos to you!

tianna26
09-18-2012, 08:01 PM

Just because I can afford something more expensive doesn't necessarily mean I want to pay for it.

Amen

robinb
09-18-2012, 08:31 PM
You mean other than being WDW's "flagship" resort, the most expensive resort on property, the only resort with two Signature restaurants plus the most expensive restaurant on property, a resort themed with staid Victorian restraint and the only resort with "Grand" in it's name? I agree ... I have no idea :rotfl:.

Sparrow624
09-18-2012, 09:37 PM
But again, even with all of those things you just mentioned...that does not make someone who stays there a "snob."

I guess regardless of how "open" of a discussion we attempt to have concerning this topic, people will always form their own opinions, accurate or not.

To the person who posted about Swan/Dolphin, we may be staying there this summer. Why? Just found out they have teacher rates. Can't beat the location for the price!

Butterflygirl35
09-18-2012, 10:11 PM
But again, even with all of those things you just mentioned...that does not make someone who stays there a "snob."

I guess regardless of how "open" of a discussion we attempt to have concerning this topic, people will always form their own opinions, accurate or not.

To the person who posted about Swan/Dolphin, we may be staying there this summer. Why? Just found out they have teacher rates. Can't beat the location for the price!

Totally agree :thumbsup2

The Grand Floridian is a great resort and just because we enjoy it does not make us snobs! I love shopping in Basin White and having breakfast at GF cafe....I wish I was there now!! Love the Convenience and location.. And chocolates on my bed did not hurt either :)

I am staying for the first time at an Epcot resort in Jan, can't wait!!! I am renting points for Boardwalk as it was the most cost effective....

ajh88
09-18-2012, 11:30 PM
DH and I were just having this discussion regarding the GF the other night. From our perspective, it isn't about snobbery, but having visited there several times (never stayed) for various things, there is a feeling of formality, at least in the main building, that is sort of fun for a little while but not what we would want for our entire vacation.

DD and I went for tea in the Garden View tea room. We got dressed up and we had a lovely time, but I'm not the dress up and have tea kind of girl on a day to day basis. I know that not everyone who stays at GF is that kind of person either, but it is part of what makes me feel just a little fish out of water there.

We have stayed at all levels of resort on-site and I will admit that TPV at the Poly is our favorite, but we enjoyed our stays at All-Star Sports and CBR as well.

My biggest pet peeve is people who complain about a resort based on poor mousekeeping. I just can't imagine not at least trying a resort if it appeals to me because a few people said they didn't feel like the housekeepers got their room clean enough. (And yes, I recognize that sometimes people have legitimate complaints and that with thousands of rooms, there are bound to be a few that are somewhat less than spectacular).

My second biggest pet peeve is people who complain the Poly is too dark. I was worried the first time we stayed there that we wouldn't be able to see anything, but it seems just as bright to me as our All Star room, maybe even more so because we got a lot more natural light. I guess it is a matter of opinion, but I definitely don't find them dark.

almcg
09-19-2012, 04:48 AM
We stayed at the Dolphin this past July and we loved it! What I didn't love was a lady complaining on the bus about the Dolphin! We were on the bus making our way back from Animal Kingdom and there was a lady complaining that "the people staying at the Swan/Dolphin get dropped off first, which I can't understand as they aren't Disney Hotels. We should be dropped at the Beach Club first, considering the amount of money we spent!" As she was standing we had to walk around her to get off the bus at the Dolphin. I must admit I felt a bit uncomfortable:confused3 I'm guessing she had had a long day and just wanted to be 'home'.

RedfromNL
09-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Some of the people mentioned here really remind me of a character in a british sitcom: Keeping up appearances. :happytv:

Don't know if it was ever shown on US tv, but it was hilarious :)

Mrs Bucket (pronounced by her as bouquet) always trying to appear better, always putting people or things down to make herself appear better. She ended up looking laughable, snobbish and none too bright of course.

When I meet people like that in real life it reminds me of her and I have to smile, that really annoys that type:goodvibes

We also get all the : Disney again? Whys stay in such an expensive hotel? yadayadayada stuff, forget them. I do whatever I like.

PS we are planning a trip to the WL:goodvibes
because we like being so close to the MK, we just plain like the hotel, you prefer the colourfullness of a value? Then stay at one!!! Remember: it's YOUR holiday, not anyone else's.

Belle & Ariel
09-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Alexsandra
I just don't get why some couples go to WDW when they hate kids!

Ooooh that's another myth we need to bust.

I don't think people hate kids. They are annoyed by children who are not taught to behave and parents are too lazy to discipline them. That's what the problem is.

Missytara
09-19-2012, 09:21 AM

I don't think people hate kids. They are annoyed by children who are not taught to behave and parents are too lazy to discipline them. That's what the problem is.

That one.

I am single and childless by choice; well, not totally by choice at first, but now I am all over the fact that in my early fifties, "life is all about me."

I am just not used to be around children, so I tend to shy away from experiences where I am directly one-on-one with them.

However, I love my disney trips every year; three times, I have done the cruise and people think I am completely nuts for being on a ship with a bunch of kids. But there is always things to do that are purely adult; like the spa, etc.

I have also had one of my most fun trips, with a five year old along. It was great to see the World through her eyes in an entirely different way. I stood out in the rain, wearing my hoodie, so she could see the parade at MK. I sat with her and we bonded, while her mom and dad and my neighbors went on rides she was too short or didn't want to ride on. We had an absolutely wonderful time.

I like the fact that at Disney, you can go and enjoy watching the kids enjoying themselves, but then you can go off on your own and enjoy some down time by yourself and it is still a wonderful place to vacation. What bothers me the most is when kids aren't given boundries by their parents, or they wander around texting their friends and not looking where they are going and you have to go around them and the parents do not say a word about it.

LisaTC
09-19-2012, 09:24 AM

That, and not realizing the WDW is exhausting, overstimulating and the poor kids need a break, a nap and a good meal. I think common sense doesn't always prevail. When I see a meltdown, I feel so bad for the kids. I just want to pick them up and take them off into the grass and give them a blanket lay on or pull out some crayons. It can't be go, go, go. They are going to act up, meltdown. To expect anything else isn't reasonable. Now, I've seen what you are talking about...parents letting their kids run amok and that's not good either, but that happens everywhere, even the grocery store.

*Fantasia*
09-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Agree. think if the kids are restless and they just want to relax in their own way... the family should just hop back on the boat/monorail/bus to their resort and have them run around there at the play area or swim or snack or nap... I think adults forget the children's need. Parents can be selfish- "We spent so much money at the Disney and we can't just hang around the resort!" Kids get tired.. kids get hungry.. kids are kids.. Let them be. It's the happiest place one earth... so let the kids enjoy themselves and let them be happy! :)

Missytara
09-19-2012, 09:40 AM
And so do adults, as well!!!!

Butterflygirl35
09-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Agree. think if the kids are restless and they just want to relax in their own way... the family should just hop back on the boat/monorail/bus to their resort and have them run around there at the play area or swim or snack or nap... I think adults forget the children's need. Parents can be selfish- "We spent so much money at the Disney and we can't just hang around the resort!" Kids get tired.. kids get hungry.. kids are kids.. Let them be. It's the happiest place one earth... so let the kids enjoy themselves and let them be happy! :)

YESSSSSSSS... People always think we are crazy for only spending half days in the park but it really makes a difference in our vacation... My kids are happy, well fed and relaxed that way.. Which makes for a happier mommy... Maybe when they are older.. Park Commando might come back.. but for now.... I always choose a resort I am happy to spend time in. Vacations are about being happy and enjoying time together as a family... not tiring everyone out to the point of meltdown...

cjsm&d
09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
We stayed at the Dolphin this past July and we loved it! What I didn't love was a lady complaining on the bus about the Dolphin! We were on the bus making our way back from Animal Kingdom and there was a lady complaining that "the people staying at the Swan/Dolphin get dropped off first, which I can't understand as they aren't Disney Hotels. We should be dropped at the Beach Club first, considering the amount of money we spent!" As she was standing we had to walk around her to get off the bus at the Dolphin. I must admit I felt a bit uncomfortable:confused3 I'm guessing she had had a long day and just wanted to be 'home'.

You are nicer than me. I would have made a point to say to DW or DS on the way off the bus, "Man, its great to be on the first stop on the way back"

:cool1:

cjsm&d
09-19-2012, 10:22 AM
That, and not realizing the WDW is exhausting, overstimulating and the poor kids need a break, a nap and a good meal. I think common sense doesn't always prevail. When I see a meltdown, I feel so bad for the kids. I just want to pick them up and take them off into the grass and give them a blanket lay on or pull out some crayons. It can't be go, go, go. They are going to act up, meltdown. To expect anything else isn't reasonable. Now, I've seen what you are talking about...parents letting their kids run amok and that's not good either, but that happens everywhere, even the grocery store.

Also listening to what the kids want, rather than dragging them around when they've had enough or want need to take a break. When DS was 4 or 5 I certainly didn't want to spend 45+ minutes at "Honey I shrunk the kids" or "The Bone Yard" playgrounds, but he really loved it, so DW and I would take turns checking stuff out while the other watched him.

Sometimes people with young kids forget that the trip is for the kids too.

We were always lucky. DS was never shy to say, dad, can we go back to the resort and play in the pool. Usually, that is what I'm always up for anyway!

One more thing, folks with little ones, should keep the ADRs either to a minimum or plan them out extremely well, especially at the parks.

*Fantasia*
09-19-2012, 10:23 AM
And so do adults, as well!!!!

Yes.. adults can have their moments too! I see couples explode at one another :furious: They could use some R&R themselves!

YESSSSSSSS... People always think we are crazy for only spending half days in the park but it really makes a difference in our vacation... My kids are happy, well fed and relaxed that way.. Which makes for a happier mommy... Maybe when they are older.. Park Commando might come back.. but for now.... I always choose a resort I am happy to spend time in. Vacations are about being happy and enjoying time together as a family... not tiring everyone out to the point of meltdown...
:thumbsup2 Vacation are about enjoying and relaxing... not tiring each other out or getting the nerves worked up and throwing shoes at one another. :rotfl2: If you are having this kind of vacation.. then you will for sure will need to take another vacation to release stress!

Debbart
09-19-2012, 10:27 AM
While I certainly believe that a room should be decorated nicely, in good repair and clean, I doubt that half of people's homes could pass the unbelievable white glove test some people put the rooms and mousekeeping through when they stay at resort.

cyb
09-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Some of the people mentioned here really remind me of a character in a british sitcom: Keeping up appearances. :happytv:

Don't know if it was ever shown on US tv, but it was hilarious :)

Mrs Bucket (pronounced by her as bouquet) always trying to appear better, always putting people or things down to make herself appear better. She ended up looking laughable, snobbish and none too bright of course.

Yes it has be shown in the US and I love the show! Hilarious!

pbarager
09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
We are giving our daughters a taste of both. 7 nights at AKL and 2 nights at Pop. Knowing them, they will have a blast at both.:beach::beach:

Butterflygirl35
09-19-2012, 11:49 AM
We are giving our daughters a taste of both. 7 nights at AKL and 2 nights at Pop. Knowing them, they will have a blast at both.:beach::beach:

Of course.. It is DISNEY!!! pixiedust: Have a great time!

NancyIL
09-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Agreed! :thumbsup2

A few people on the Disney Cruise Line board have made similar comments about the "clientele" who cruise on other cruise lines - especially Carnival. People who think they are better than others are the low-class folks, in my opinion!
I wish people wouldn't be so hard on the Swan and Dolphin. I've now stayed at both, but I've also sayed at the GF, BLT, WL, BC, BWI, and AKL. Five of my trips have also inclued Club Level stays. While I've enjoyed all my Disney deluxe stays, I also thoroughly enjoyed my Swan and Dolphin stays. Here's why....

1. Location, location, location....you can't beat the walk or boat ride to both Epcot and Studios.

2. Beds...they're better than any Disney-owned hotel...period.

3. Bedding and pillows....more luxurious than any Disney-owned hotel.

4. Toiletries...I enjoy them as much as H2o+ products at Disney-owned hotels.

5. S & D share buses with BWI and sometimes YC and BC....and are picked up last and dropped off first! Same with boats to the Studios!

6. There may be no hidden Mickeys in the room...but you can buy all the Mickeys your heart desires in the lobby gift shop....and looking out your window and seeing ToT, Expedition Everest, or Spaceship Earth? It doesn't get more Disney than that!

7. PRICE!- For our next trip, a full stay at a deluxe isn't financially in the cards, and we priced out both POR and The Dolphin. For a 4-night stay, the Dolphin rack-rate came out to be less than $100 more....total. For us...the location and the comfort make this choice a no-brainer. We're going to stay at the Dolphin...and I frequently see it on Priceline for about $45/night less than the rack-rate...if this happens, then it will actually be cheaper than a moderate! Deluxe hotel for less than a moderate? Yes please!

In summation....S & D aren't my favorite hotels on the property, but BC and BWI are, so we've decided that when we're blessed enough to have the funds, we'll stay at BC or BWI, but when money is tight, we'll be more than glad to stay at the Swan or Dolphin, and I think these resorts deserve a little more respect around here! ::yes::

I LOVE the Swan (especially) and Dolphin, and that's where I usually stay. I don't care that it isn't an official Disney hotel. I earn Starwood points for my stays, and those points can be used for free hotel nights or transferred to an airline frequent-flyer program.

However, in January I got a great AP rate at All Star Music, so that's where I stayed for a week-long solo trip. I enjoyed it and would stay there again.

mom2princesses2
09-19-2012, 12:44 PM

This was mine! :thumbsup2

mcd2745
09-19-2012, 02:20 PM
"Resort misconceptions you wish people would not make...."

That you should come back to your room and find a towel animal every day.

Magic3forme
09-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I love how so many people bash the Contemp for not feeling Disney enough? Really?? and it just looks like a big concrete block. that is my favorite resort.
I love the theming, and how many other resorts have a monorail run through it??
and the views from the theme park rooms... they can not be beat!!

cjsm&d
09-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I love how so many people bash the Contemp for not feeling Disney enough? Really?? and it just looks like a big concrete block. again realy??? that is my favorite resort.

That's not really a misconception, that's a difference of opinion. I have never stayed there, but I certainly would if the right package came along.

But you can objectively see how some folks look at it and see a big cement block. The inner lobby area is also very train station sterile looking.

*Fantasia*
09-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I love how so many people bash the Contemp for not feeling Disney enough? Really?? and it just looks like a big concrete block. again realy??? that is my favorite resort.

That's not really a misconception, that's a difference of opinion. I have never stayed there, but I certainly would if the right package came along.

But you can objectively see how some folks look at it and see a big cement block. The inner lobby area is also very train station sterile looking.

I agree. It's not really a misconception, it is called "opinion". Some doesn't feel or see the resort Disney enough. There is no right or wrong when it comes to how you feel or your experience. ...and I think in your case, you are defending your love for this resort which there is nothing wrong with that. We all have to respect everyone's opinion whether it's the opposite from ours. Really.. really. :)

mousefan73
09-20-2012, 01:22 AM
My first trip to WDW was as an adult; as a child my vision of WDW was the princess castle and the Mission Earth ball at epcot and how Epcot ( in my mind as a child) was built tomgive us an experience on how us how the future world would look. Part of this vision in my head was the monorail AND the Contemporary resort and how the train goes inside of it. For me the contemporary was like a space station like cool thing. And for me that was DISNEY world. That resort and the monorail was beside the castle, the one thing I i had to see first when i finally got to WDW.

Bell30012
09-20-2012, 01:40 AM
I used that snobbery of the Grand Floridian as a life lesson. My stepson was around 14. His total ambition in life was to be a skateboarder. He wore nothing but the black, spent hours drawing all the tattoos that he planned to have when old enough and would never get his hair cut without a fight.

One day we were waiting for a character meal at GF and I told him to look around at the guests of the GF. These people paid $500+ per night. They were people who could afford the best Disney had to offer. I then told him to count the number of visible tattoos on those guests. The number of men with earrings or men with little pony tails. Strangely, there were none.

He got the message. Now years later, his skateboarding career didn't make it and he has a regular job. He did get a couple tattoos but wisely got them in areas where they are easy to conceal with clothing. He has actually mentioned that moment to me and the impact it had upon his life.

Planogirl
09-20-2012, 01:43 AM
All this thread proves is that people have different tastes. Personally I don't care for either the Grand Floridian or the Allstars but only because the theming doesn't appeal to me. In the case of the budget resorts I prefer to stay in a moderate but mainly because I enjoy having the extras the moderates provide.

I do think that hotel snobs are rather strange though. Who cares where someone stays?

Mousemommy1
09-20-2012, 05:46 AM
All this thread proves is that people have different tastes. Personally I don't care for either the Grand Floridian or the Allstars but only because the theming doesn't appeal to me. In the case of the budget resorts I prefer to stay in a moderate but mainly because I enjoy having the extras the moderates provide.

I do think that hotel snobs are rather strange though. Who cares where someone stays?

I've been on the Dis for a few years and have honestly only seen people refer to themselves as a "hotel/resort" snob, not others calling people out for it. I think it is said jokingly, and just to indicate that the person won't stay at a "lower" level, so I always take it as something are proud of, or again use to describe themselves.

Conversely, when some of those same people describe values as "ghettos, trailer parks, etc..." I think that is terrible, and insulting to people who stay in values (and I'm sure you all have seen descriptives used to describe the perceived "type" of person who stays in a value). I think that is completely unnecessary and know for a fact that we have stayed in values, not because we are "ghetto" or "trailer trash" but because we needed a place to sleep and shower and didn't feel the need to spend hundreds of dollars a night for that (even if we could have afforded it).

We now are on a deluxe spree, but that's because our vacation style has changed and the extra money spent on deluxes are well worth it to us now. Value dictates where we stay, not our wallet or socioeconomic status.

Sparrow624
09-20-2012, 07:05 AM
I am glad to see that most people agree with me. As a teacher, I see this in many walks of life, not just with "resort" stay.

Had another misconception about the resorts at Disney yesterday while talking to the parents:

"Why are you considering wasting your money to go to Disney again? Go somewhere new. You have seen everything there by now and besides, you could get a beach house for a week for much less. At least consider staying at a Hilton or something else down there"

I think many people who have not been there view the Disney resorts, regardless of level, as "2nd class" to other "luxury" hotels or trips.

disney3000
09-20-2012, 08:07 AM
I used that snobbery of the Grand Floridian as a life lesson. My stepson was around 14. His total ambition in life was to be a skateboarder. He wore nothing but the black, spent hours drawing all the tattoos that he planned to have when old enough and would never get his hair cut without a fight.

One day we were waiting for a character meal at GF and I told him to look around at the guests of the GF. These people paid $500+ per night. They were people who could afford the best Disney had to offer. I then told him to count the number of visible tattoos on those guests. The number of men with earrings or men with little pony tails. Strangely, there were none.

He got the message. Now years later, his skateboarding career didn't make it and he has a regular job. He did get a couple tattoos but wisely got them in areas where they are easy to conceal with clothing. He has actually mentioned that moment to me and the impact it had upon his life.

Whilst not wishing to cause any drama at all and with respect, I have a visible tattoo, my boyfriend has shoulder-length hair and dresses almost entirely in black, and we both have good jobs at a University and are staying in a deluxe on our upcoming trip. It takes all sorts! :goodvibes

Mariep26
09-20-2012, 08:18 AM

While I can appreciate you wanting to sway your son to your way of thinking, this is just a case of you teaching your child to judge a book by its cover (again -- probably a good lesson that some people are close minded enough to do it so he needs to make decisions with that in mind). I am educated and have a good enough job that my husband stays home with our kids. I have tattoos and piercings and my husband has two full sleeves and a ponytail. We teach our kids about diversity and accepting everyone regardless of outward appearances and we try to teach them to be compassionate and kind and we battle against people who are close minded and judgmental.

Mousemommy1
09-20-2012, 08:19 AM
While I can appreciate you wanting to sway your son to your way of thinking, this is just a case of you teaching your child to judge a book by its cover (again -- probably a good lesson that some people are close minded enough to do it so he needs to make decisions with that in mind). I am educated and have a good enough job that my husband stays home with our kids. I have tattoos and piercings and my husband has two full sleeves and a ponytail. We teach our kids about diversity and accepting everyone regardless of outward appearances and we try to teach them to be compassionate and kind and we battle against people who are close minded and judgmental.

:thumbsup2

Butterflygirl35
09-20-2012, 08:21 AM
My first trip to WDW was as an adult; as a child my vision of WDW was the princess castle and the Mission Earth ball at epcot and how Epcot ( in my mind as a child) was built tomgive us an experience on how us how the future world would look. Part of this vision in my head was the monorail AND the Contemporary resort and how the train goes inside of it. For me the contemporary was like a space station like cool thing. And for me that was DISNEY world. That resort and the monorail was beside the castle, the one thing I i had to see first when i finally got to WDW.

I totally agree... To me the Castle and Monorail are DISNEY!!! It means I am closer to the Magic!! pixiedust:

1stvisit0909
09-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Wow, wonder what people thought about us, when we had our value package with FD reserved at ASMU and got a double free upgraded to a 2bd room villa at OKW. :rotfl2:

The trash invaded! :rotfl2:

I admit, just hopping on a OKW bus after Wishes while a million people waited in line for the AS buses made me REALLY glad and thankful we got the upgrade though, when my 4 year old was sound asleep on my shoulder, and I could just sit on the bus no problem.

We decided on POFQ b/c if hubby and I had to sleep in a double bed for a week there might be a D I V O R C E but they sure look cute. :goodvibes

My dream is to one day stay Savannah view at AKL though. I think that would rock. I just cant justify the cost.

TigrLvsPooh
09-20-2012, 08:48 AM
This is a really interesting thread. I think many times we get our feelings hurt if someone makes negative comments about a resort near and dear to our hearts. Over the years I have seen people have some really passionate reviews that I always try to step back and look at objectively, rather they be negative or positive. So many factors go into choosing a resort, I know for myself I have many favorites for a hundred different reasons. But getting back to the OP about the GF comment, I find it odd that this man on the monorail would even assume you were staying there. Many people get off and on at that stop, you've got some of the best restaurants on property, including a very popular character dining spot. So I wouldn't think much about his comment being a general consensus by any means. I think most of the negative opinions about certain categories of resort can be labeled under "lack of knowledge". If you've never stayed at a value, or never stayed at a deluxe, then you really can't give another person advice or opinions of which is better over the other. I've had some really magical stays at Pop Century, as you can see from my signature we stay there a lot, and I've had equally amazing stays at deluxe resorts. Here on the DISboards I think we've successfully educated so many people about Disney resorts the misconceptions have decreased significantly. :)

5stljayhawks
09-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Tell someone you camped at Disney... It horror, shock, amazement....

Camp changes folks, maybe it's because one is not protected or able to hide behind the walls of the hotel room. We all know our fellow neighbors share common, interest outside of disney. it's camping. Kids walking, playing and riding bikes. adults chatting, sharing stories and travels. It's an open community, unlike any other disney resort.

Don't knock it before you try it....... If you have any doubts check out the camping forum or stop by during Halloween or Christmas time and see what I mean.

stasijane
09-22-2012, 12:35 AM
I guess this really isn't a misconpetion about a resort, but continuing with the discussion. I honestly dont care one way or another what people thing of the resort I am staying in. Yes I do stay value when I choose to stay onsite. I have different ways of thinking when it comes to hotels. I am a very simple person, half the time I even stay off property. :faint: All I do is shower and sleep. When I am there I leave early in the morning and dont come back until late at night. I also figure the less I spend on hotels the more Disney Dooneys I can come home with! :cool1: but thats my choice what I spend my money on, and I would never say anything about the choices anyone else makes.

iheartmickey1111
09-22-2012, 12:51 AM
some people think that values are awfully and they have never even stayed in a value resort.

don't judge something until you try it.

DVC use to be a good value - now resale still is - but with the prices going up - up with each new resort - it is no longer the value it was. (unless you go resale)

I will admit, I was one of those people who thought the values were icky- I stayed at AKL my first time there, and from the pics on the Disney site, the values just didn't look appealing. But last year I stayed at Pop and fell in love with it! This spring, we stayed at Coronado Springs (hated it) and honestly of all the levels, I like the values the best! I tried so hard to get a room at ASMovies for next week but never could :( so I am staying at Pop again. Honestly though, for me, I think Disney needs better photographers for their pics of the resorts on their website! The pics don't do ANY of the resorts justice!!

Karabee
09-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Honestly though, for me, I think Disney needs better photographers for their pics of the resorts on their website! The pics don't do ANY of the resorts justice!!

YES!! When we got to POP I was shocked at how the lobby was not at all what it looked like online. They make it look just horrible but I thought it was perfectly nice - we spent a lot of time looking at the shadow boxes. Another reason to say don't knock it until you try it!

glenpreece
09-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Who else has some?
So true.

AliceIn
09-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I find it very amusing that people think that where a person stays at Disney is at all reflective of the social class they belong to. The truth is, all sorts of people stay at every level of resort. There are plenty of folks at values who could easily afford deluxe, but who choose not to do it for various reasons. There are folks at the deluxes who scrimped and did without for years to be able to afford their one week vacation at the Poly. There are folks who are going into major debt to stay at any Disney hotel when their income can support only the cheapest off site hotel. Don't judge by where a person is staying!

Lionqueen2
09-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Over the years we've stayed in various resorts on and off property depending on our mood, needs, etc. One year at one of the All-Stars (can't remember which one), DH and I stopped for a drink at the bar outside near the pool area. We started talking to the bartender and he mentioned that he had started out working at the GF, but applied for the job at the All-Stars as soon as there was an opening. Of course, we were curious about his decision and he responded by telling us that he found guests in the All-Stars friendlier and that they tipped better.

NancyIL
09-22-2012, 11:07 AM
I find it very amusing that people think that where a person stays at Disney is at all reflective of the social class they belong to. The truth is, all sorts of people stay at every level of resort. There are plenty of folks at values who could easily afford deluxe, but who choose not to do it for various reasons. There are folks at the deluxes who scrimped and did without for years to be able to afford their one week vacation at the Poly. There are folks who are going into major debt to stay at any Disney hotel when their income can support only the cheapest off site hotel. Don't judge by where a person is staying!

Going into debt isn't such a good idea!

Our first multi-day WDW trip was in April 1996. Because there were 5 of us, and the least expensive WDW resort that could accommodate us was Dixie Landings (later renamed Port Orleans Riverside) - we stayed off-site. I booked the Homewood Suites in Kissimmee @ $69/night. Then I found a coupon for the Quality Inn Lake Cecile (on 192 in Kissimmee) @ $27.95/night - so we ended up staying there! It was perfectly adequate, but when we returned in Nov. 1997, we "upgraded" to the $47/night Hampton Inn! :rotfl2:

I also stayed at the Comfort Inn (now Clarion) Lake Buena Vista with my 3 kids for 2 nights in April 1999 @ $29.95/night. We splurged the next 2 nights and stayed at the newly-opened Toy Story section of All Star Movies @ $99/night. That's when I became an on-site (most of the time) convert!

fla4fun
09-23-2012, 04:56 AM
I agree that there are a lot of misconceptions out there about Disney transportation, especially as it relates to specific categories of resort. I have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts and haven't had many transportation issues (other than every DTD bus at every resort seems to take twice as long to arrive as the theme park buses). People think that staying deluxe means you will never have to wait for transportation, and that the transportation will never be crowded. They complain if they are staying at the Epcot resorts that YC/BC share a bus, without thinking that the MK deluxes share buses too (and oddly - why CR or WL share with Poly or GF has always confused me. If the MK resorts are going to share, it would make more sense to go Poly/GF and WL/CR :confused3). By the same token, everyone has these huge fears that the value buses will be completely overrun with people - and some of my best bus rides have been from value resorts. Granted, I don't go during peak season and try to avoid the morning and evening rush, but the rides have been fine. If everyone would just think of Disney transportation as "public transportation" (which it is) maybe they would be more realistic about it.

As to your resort choice reflecting your overall "status" in the world, that's just a load of bologna. Every family chooses their resort based on what they want out of their vacation. None of us know why the person in the next room picked that particular resort for that particular trip. And I, for one, don't care. When I go on vacation, the only thing I care about when it comes to other resort guests is that they are quiet at night so I can get some sleep. While I prefer staying deluxe for the proximity to the parks, I've stayed at all levels for all different reasons. Sometimes it's because of budget, sometimes it's for convenience, sometimes I'm spending a lot of time at the resort (or maybe not even going to the parks), sometimes it's for variety since I go often, and sometimes it's just a place to rest my head. There isn't a right or wrong decision when it comes to choosing a particular resort - just what works for your family.

I think another misconception people have before they arrive is that the deluxe resorts are truly "deluxe" in the off property sense of the word. The main draw for the deluxe resorts (for the most part) is their location - they tend to be closer to the theme parks. Oh, they have a few more dining and shopping options than the mods do, and the rooms may be a little larger, but now that the mods have queen beds, the gap is narrowing a lot between the mods and the deluxes. If people arrive at GF expecting it to be like a Ritz Carlton or a Waldorf Astoria, they will be disappointed. The deluxes are nice, and I stay in them as often as I can, but you can get so much more for the same price outside the "world" that it's like comparing apples and oranges. I think it's so important for people to research the hotel they will be staying in, wherever their travels take them. Don't just go to one website, or read one review - really check it out so you know what you're getting.

LisaTC
09-23-2012, 07:29 AM
I agree that there are a lot of misconceptions out there about Disney transportation, especially as it relates to specific categories of resort. I have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts and haven't had many transportation issues (other than every DTD bus at every resort seems to take twice as long to arrive as the theme park buses). People think that staying deluxe means you will never have to wait for transportation, and that the transportation will never be crowded. They complain if they are staying at the Epcot resorts that YC/BC share a bus, without thinking that the MK deluxes share buses too (and oddly - why CR or WL share with Poly or GF has always confused me. If the MK resorts are going to share, it would make more sense to go Poly/GF and WL/CR :confused3). By the same token, everyone has these huge fears that the value buses will be completely overrun with people - and some of my best bus rides have been from value resorts. Granted, I don't go during peak season and try to avoid the morning and evening rush, but the rides have been fine. If everyone would just think of Disney transportation as "public transportation" (which it is) maybe they would be more realistic about it.

As to your resort choice reflecting your overall "status" in the world, that's just a load of bologna. Every family chooses their resort based on what they want out of their vacation. None of us know why the person in the next room picked that particular resort for that particular trip. And I, for one, don't care. When I go on vacation, the only thing I care about when it comes to other resort guests is that they are quiet at night so I can get some sleep. While I prefer staying deluxe for the proximity to the parks, I've stayed at all levels for all different reasons. Sometimes it's because of budget, sometimes it's for convenience, sometimes I'm spending a lot of time at the resort (or maybe not even going to the parks), sometimes it's for variety since I go often, and sometimes it's just a place to rest my head. There isn't a right or wrong decision when it comes to choosing a particular resort - just what works for your family.

I think another misconception people have before they arrive is that the deluxe resorts are truly "deluxe" in the off property sense of the word. The main draw for the deluxe resorts (for the most part) is their location - they tend to be closer to the theme parks. Oh, they have a few more dining and shopping options than the mods do, and the rooms may be a little larger, but now that the mods have queen beds, the gap is narrowing a lot between the mods and the deluxes. If people arrive at GF expecting it to be like a Ritz Carlton or a Waldorf Astoria, they will be disappointed. The deluxes are nice, and I stay in them as often as I can, but you can get so much more for the same price outside the "world" that it's like comparing apples and oranges. I think it's so important for people to research the hotel they will be staying in, wherever their travels take them. Don't just go to one website, or read one review - really check it out so you know what you're getting.

This is an excellent post. Very well said. I view the deluxes exactly the same -- proximity to the parks. It would seem that some of the surrounding/nonDisney hotels could actually be nicer/larger - room wise. I have friends who often stay at the Swan or the Hilton and find them very nice. We, too, had mostly great experiences with transportation as well. Getting to MK with the buses instead of our car was always speedy. We even took the bus to MK, then the boat to FW to HDDR, per CM's suggestion, rather than drive and it was really quick and enjoyable. Granted, it was October, but it was very efficient. Plus you get to see the castle at night lit up.

Very good post!

Bell30012
09-24-2012, 04:39 AM
It is often assumed that transportation will be better at the Deluxe level resorts versus the Value or Moderates. Fla4Fun is right. The transportation services at each resort has its ups and downs. We stated at BLT in February 2012. Getting to MK was super easy, monorail action. However, I found the wait for a bus to AK or HS to be longer than any wait I'd experienced at POP.

robinb
09-24-2012, 07:08 AM
I have one! The misconception that you must move both heaven and earth to stay at a WDW resort or you just won't have as much fun as those people who are in the "Disney Magic" 24/7. If that means that you need to cram your family of 5 into a small room at POR or sleep in a double-sized bed at POP ... so be it!

tinkermommyof3
09-24-2012, 07:41 AM

:thumbsup2. We feel more at home with the theme of Poly. When we stayed at the GF, the theme was not as relaxing but still great (we prefer tropical). Snobbery was NOT an issue. Now I get a kick out of CL. We have stayed and are going back next month to Poly CL and our first time at GF Sugarloaf (want to try food, looks yummy). We find CL a great convenience for our family of 5. I did notice during our stay that a few other guests came across as if it were a badge of honor to stay CL (a little bit of snobbery). It is actually quite affordable with a good discount. Yes, I know that is subjective depending on one's income. But, it is kind of amusing to my family how some people portray themselves as VIP's when staying CL (Just an observation). Maybe they were, VIP's!;):confused3

*Fantasia*
09-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Misconception.. Just because you're staying on Disney property doesn't mean that your stay is going to be perfect all the time. Nothing in this world is perfect.. and in Disney, it's not always fantasy. There is reality in Disney! When things doesn't go your way or things are not going right.. it's the reality. Paying a big chunk amount of money to Disney, that's reality! ...and just because you didn't get your towel animals, don't get all upset with Disney. Your Disney experience can be as "magical" as you want it to be. It's what you make of it. :thumbsup2

TheRatPack
09-24-2012, 03:47 PM
We stay value and we don't feel 'cheap'. We spend roughly 7000.00 on our trip after all is said and done. We've also stayed off site in our earlier years and spent 1000.00 or less on a quick weekend trip because that's all we could afford. I think that everyone spends what they are comfortable with. My grandparents scoff at spending more than 50.00 or so a night at a hotel LOL.....so our 'budget value' trip would give them a heart attack.

maryj11
09-24-2012, 04:28 PM
I have stayed at the values, moderates, and deluxes. I dont judge people by the resort they stay in :confused3. I like all the Disney resorts but prefer the moderates or deluxes. We stayed at the Poly last year and loved it , not once did I think oh we are not as rich as everyone here :rotfl: But we did go to the GF to 100 Park Fare for dinner and I did feel a little out of place. I dont know what it is about that resort but it does seem like a rich persons resort. We came from Epcot to the the GF and didnt go back to the our resort to freshen up. Boy did I feel like I needed to take a shower, change my clothes, and brush my hair :rotfl:

JennyDrake
09-24-2012, 05:23 PM
If Pop Warner is there your vacation will be RUINED.

VAfamily1998
09-24-2012, 05:36 PM

I have to say, that is my main hesistation with staying in a value--I'm worried about the very large groups "taking over."

DznyCrzy11
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I had read alot of good comments on here! My husband and I have stayed value, moderate, and deluxe. We prefer deluxe because of the accomodations and resort amenities. With the Disney Resorts, alot of what a person chooses has to do with the theme that either they enjoy most or they feel their kids will enjoy most, it also depends on how much time you will spend at your resort, and which location you prefer. We prefer staying at the Poly because we love the atmosphere, theme, amenities, and accommodations. It's a once/year vacation for us so we do not mind paying the extra money to stay at the Poly.

Sent from my GalaxyS II

Funky Chicken
09-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Our last two family trips were at ASMu on a FD package and at AKL on a room-only discount. The AKL trip was honestly not that much more money based on when we traveled and the offers available. I could just as easily pick any other resort for the next trip, and it would be a differenttrip. My main focus is on value, and that doesn't usually mean "what's the cheapest option?".

I guess if I had to name a favorite resort it would be AKL, and my reasons would be many of the same ones that people rule it out. I LIKE that it is a little removed from the rest of the world-it can be really helpful for kids to not be fully stimulated at all times during a stay. I don't mind the extra 5-10 minutes on a bus, and a lot of the time we drive within WDW anyway.

As far as the whole "riff-raff" "white trash" thing goes-I could care less how much money you do or don't have, or how much you choose to spend on your vacation. It's about your behavior and how you treat each other/other guests/WDW cast members. I have seen more than one person who appears very well dressed/well heeled/well educated abuse everyone they came into contact with at WDW, with that behavior being most prevalent at Monorail Resorts.

sharadoc
09-25-2012, 12:16 PM
I hate when people say "the buses at Fort Wilderness are the worst of any resort on property." I would say they offer the best service. On average, the bus stops are clearly the closest to EVERY cabin/site over any other resort that requires a long walk from your room to a bus stop. Taking an internal bus to different areas of the Fort or to an external bus is SO much more relaxing over having to use a park bus to travel internally throughout the resort, like you do at SSR, CSR, OKW, CBR, POR, etc.

"You MUST stay at YC/BC over Boardwalk because of Stormalong Bay". I think you have to have a specific, capable swimming child(ren) to be able to truly enjoy. Plus most of that pool is just a pool with sand on the bottom. The slide, small lazy river and a couple of the other "play" areas could get SO crowded that you can't relax and enjoy them. And if you have to keep an eye on your child the whole time, it's a LOT of territory to cover.

jerseygirl81
09-25-2012, 04:14 PM

I have read this as well. We have stayed at CSR 3 times and have only seen a few people that looked like they were there for work with casual clothes (khakis and a golf shirt) and a name tag. And it definetly has a relaxing resort feel! Linda :)

Carrie in AZ
09-25-2012, 09:10 PM
I haven't read all the replies so not sure if anyone has stated this or not.....

The misconception that bothers me is when people say the CR does nothing for them in terms of theming and that it looks like a hospital or like a hotel in any other city. Some refuse to even consider it! The reality, for me, is that it is the most amazing resort! It has large modern rooms and the view from the tower cannot be beat. We've only stayed TPView and the view of the castle is hard to beat, especially at night. But the view in the morning is magnificent: You can look out and see the expanse of the Poly, GF and Seven Seas Lagoon. You can see the boats transporting guests to the MK and the buses coming and going also. LOVE IT!! I've seen pics of views from the rooms facing Bay Lake they look amazing also. Love the restaurants, the pools and being able to hop on the monorail INSIDE of the building.

And, finally, the very best experience of all??? Walking out the front door and being on your way to the MK!! It is the most wonderful benefit and absolutely the best experience. LOVVVVE the CR!!!

It always makes me feel a bit sad when I read negative opinions from those that have never even given it a try.

awoogala
09-25-2012, 09:26 PM

Well, my husband (musician with tattoos, who also has a successful day job), and I (tattoos, black, blue, and purple hair), could pay for the GF, but I find it kind of ugly. I'd much rather do the Poly!
(but so far I've done POP, Contemporary, and this BLT). Not everyone ho is successful likes to spend it like that. And everyone with tattoos is not a failure, either. :goodvibes

The V Gang
09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
I really think this works both ways... Just because I don't like values it does not make me a snob.. I don't like smaller beds, and bigger crowds... I have an autistic son who can get overwhelmed easily so I prefer a more laid back Disney vacation.it does not mean I judge others it just isn't right for me. So people who stay in Values should also not judge and call people who stay deluxe resort snobs.. The great thing about Disney is there is something for everyone

I agree. We have visited WL, AKL, Poly, GF and POR. While they were all lovely I was a bit disappointed with our stay at POR yesterday. I wasn't thrilled with the exterior entries and the four bus stops. We've had some sort of discount every year (40% off room, free dining or (my fave) buy 4 get 3 free) - I'm definitely not a resort snob. My husband is a hard working union electrician and forthe past two years I've been a SAHM (did I mention we have 5 kids...lol).

We spend alot of time at our resort and usually don't leave for the parks until 4ish. For this reason, resort choice is very important to us. Were going togive AoA a try but decided on going back to GF next year because we love everything about the hotel (especially what we've heard about the renovations). We've chosen to drive down (for the first time) so the $ we save on airfare will more than make up the difference.

We could go to AoA and save some $ but lets face it. We live in NJ, the kids have school, my husband gets two weeks of vacation a year and airfare/park tix for my family costs ALOT (no way we have the patience to drive 17 hours to FL twice a year...hahahaha).

awoogala
09-25-2012, 09:40 PM

Pop warner almost delayed my flight from New jersey once. The kids wouldn't sit down or stop chanting, the chaperones all sat in the back of the plane, doing nothing to help the flight attendants, who frantically had to raise their voices and threaten them with losing our flight time before it got under control.
They absolutely increased wait times, especially when one person would run ahead, then they would all jump in line together...and so many lines had large groups of kids, cheering incessantly (agh!) So, yeah, I would not say "ruined",but I would never go during pop warner again if I could help it. (and we did not have them at our resort, which I have heard is even more fun.)
I don't think it's pop warner, per se, just the fact that 10 kids to every chaperone is always rowdier than kids with their families!

The V Gang
09-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Well, my husband (musician with tattoos, who also has a successful day job), and I (tattoos, black, blue, and purple hair), could pay for the GF, but I find it kind of ugly. I'd much rather do the Poly!
(but so far I've done POP, Contemporary, and this BLT). Not everyone ho is successful likes to spend it like that. And everyone with tattoos is not a failure, either. :goodvibes

We love the Grand Floridian! My husband has a heavy Brooklyn accent, both arms covered with tattoos and a shaved head (he's a union electrician). I have tattoos as well (I'm a full time mom but used to be a project manager). My 7 year old son sports a mohawk, my baby has a mullet (so cute!) and my girls are obessesd with monster high tattos (that aren't as washable as one might think).

We never felt out of place at the GF then again we weren't really paying attention to anyone else.

The V Gang
09-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Pop warner almost delayed my flight from New jersey once. The kids wouldn't sit down or stop chanting, the chaperones all sat in the back of the plane, doing nothing to help the flight attendants, who frantically had to raise their voices and threaten them with losing our flight time before it got under control.
They absolutely increased wait times, especially when one person would run ahead, then they would all jump in line together...and so many lines had large groups of kids, cheering incessantly (agh!) So, yeah, I would not say "ruined",but I would never go during pop warner again if I could help it. (and we did not have them at our resort, which I have heard is even more fun.)
I don't think it's pop warner, per se, just the fact that 10 kids to every chaperone is always rowdier than kids with their families!

LOL...I'm crossing pop warner weeks and brazilian tour group months off of my possible times to visit!

Btw- I just noticed your from NJ...us too!

jessa07
09-26-2012, 05:09 AM
A lot of great comments here! I have been to Disney at least a dozen times and for the first time this November, we are staying in a value. DVC was booked and this is a quickie budget trip. I'd rather stay at any Disney resort than not stay at one at all!

Mousemommy1
09-26-2012, 06:22 AM
I have to say, that is my main hesistation with staying in a value--I'm worried about the very large groups "taking over."

I've never personally run into this issue at a value resort. Now CBR....that's a different story. So, I guess I wouldn't automatically assume that because its a value resort, you'll have these issues.

minnie mum
09-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I haven't read all the replies so not sure if anyone has stated this or not.....

The misconception that bothers me is when people say the CR does nothing for them in terms of theming and that it looks like a hospital or like a hotel in any other city. Some refuse to even consider it! The reality, for me, is that it is the most amazing resort! It has large modern rooms and the view from the tower cannot be beat. We've only stayed TPView and the view of the castle is hard to beat, especially at night. But the view in the morning is magnificent: You can look out and see the expanse of the Poly, GF and Seven Seas Lagoon. You can see the boats transporting guests to the MK and the buses coming and going also. LOVE IT!! I've seen pics of views from the rooms facing Bay Lake they look amazing also. Love the restaurants, the pools and being able to hop on the monorail INSIDE of the building.

And, finally, the very best experience of all??? Walking out the front door and being on your way to the MK!! It is the most wonderful benefit and absolutely the best experience. LOVVVVE the CR!!!

It always makes me feel a bit sad when I read negative opinions from those that have never even given it a try.

You love the CR, and that's just fine. Other people find it sterile and institutional. Please note the topic of this thread- it is about MISCONCEPTIONS, not OPINIONs.

Opinion is a personal judgement. It varies from one individual to another. There is no right or wrong. So saying that the CR is the most amazing resort at WDW is an opinion and is open for debate.

A misconception, OTOH, is an error, a mistake, or a misunderstanding. So (for example) saying that staying at the CR is affordable for every guest wanting to stay at WDW would be a misconception- it is objectively wrong.

minnie mum
09-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I've never personally run into this issue at a value resort. Now CBR....that's a different story. So, I guess I wouldn't automatically assume that because its a value resort, you'll have these issues.

You're very lucky that you haven't had that issue at a value. We have had that particular blessing. :rolleyes2 Ugh.

But you are right- it is not just confined to the values, nor is it at ALL of the values. It can happen with any level resort, just not with the frequency found at the values. It's simply a matter of doing your due diligence. If I had properly done my homework, I would have known about the cheer/dance throngs at AS Sports on that fateful spring vacation.....

Melodious
09-26-2012, 03:26 PM
I agree with the OP. It's fine to discuss your opinions such as I won't stay offsite, I won't stay onsite, I don't like the theme of the GF, I have found the buses to be slow at AKL, whatever. What really bothers me is when people comment on the types of people who stay at those resorts. I hate reading a seemingly innocuous thread and someone will just slip it in, people who stay at the GF are snobs, people at deluxes are cheapskates who don't tip, people who stay at the values are white trash... :faint:

NoOrdinaryPrincess
09-26-2012, 03:30 PM
I hate the implication that people who stay offsite are somehow having an inferior vacation experience. While I usually stay on-site when I visit WDW, sometimes there are situational motivations that make an off-site resort a better choice.

Mousemommy1
09-26-2012, 04:26 PM
You're very lucky that you haven't had that issue at a value. We have had that particular blessing. :rolleyes2 Ugh.

But you are right- it is not just confined to the values, nor is it at ALL of the values. It can happen with any level resort, just not with the frequency found at the values. It's simply a matter of doing your due diligence. If I had properly done my homework, I would have known about the cheer/dance throngs at AS Sports on that fateful spring vacation.....

Agreed! Our CBR experience was shortly after I joined the Dis and I wasn't too active on it, so I hadn't done as much research as I could have, or I would have known about the cheer leading competition....:headache:

But now a days, I research maybe a little too much :goodvibes
But I shouldn't be victim to any "surprises". ::yes::

maxiesmom
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM

I see that posted all of the time, and I didn't find it to be true. We stayed at the Music resort during Pop Warner a couple of years ago, and had no problems with them at all. No rudeness at the bus stop or food court. No loud noise at all hours of the night.

I see the same thing posted about the Sports resort too. And during our stay there, the only reason I knew there was a girls basketball team there at the same time is because we saw them at the food court. Just walking around like normal people. No running amuck, shoving people around or yelling or carrying on like crazy idiots.

jerseygirl81
09-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Its the "Wow, Disney again? You MUST be doing really well" comments.

Drives me crazy. The same people that say this go out to dinner twice a week while we eat home on a budget every night so that we can have our Disney vacation. Ugh.

I totally agree with this! DH and I do without many extras that some family and friends spend money on (eating out, nail salon, cigarettes, starbucks, very expensive pocketbooks, etc.) and complain they can't afford a trip. If they cut back or cut out some of that stuff and put that money in an envelope they would be suprised how quick it adds up. Linda :)

cjsm&d
09-28-2012, 07:09 PM
I hate the implication that people who stay offsite are somehow having an inferior vacation experience. While I usually stay on-site when I visit WDW, sometimes there are situational motivations that make an off-site resort a better choice.

Not really a misconception. It's a matter of opinion. I have stayed both off and on, and have had great times doing both. But I truly do fell like I'm missing a little something when we have to stay off property. Again, that's just my opinion

Planogirl
09-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Not really a misconception. It's a matter of opinion. I have stayed both off and on, and have had great times doing both. But I truly do fell like I'm missing a little something when we have to stay off property. Again, that's just my opinion
I agree except you get those who say that EVERYONE who stays offsite is missing something. Not necessarily. That person with that opinion might be unhappy if they stay offsite but that isn't necessarily true of everyone.

I personally like both for different reasons.

xipotec
09-28-2012, 07:54 PM
I hate when they assume I am;

A Floridian because i stay at GF
A Polynesian because i stay at POLY
An artist because i stay at AA
Well you get the idea ....
:p

Infamousmare
09-28-2012, 08:42 PM
So glad someone started this! We stay deluxe because that's where the villas are...and the villas have mutliple bathrooms, washer/dryers and kitchens. Also, some (BLT, BCV, BWV) are within a reasonable walking distance to certain parks, so nice for the older and younger set we have with us. ;) (Wait, did I just imply that only old people stay in villas?) :rotfl2:
When traveling with the in-laws and small children, it's just better for us to cough up the extra $$ to have these amenities. You can bet that in a couple of years when the kiddies are bigger, I'm going to strong-arm the grandparents into staying at cheaper resorts!

The first poster said something about a dad making the "Must be nice" comment about people getting off the monorail at GF. Um, did he not understand that some people were likely getting off just to eat at 1900 PF? Or might have been stopping by to check out the decor? Or that people staying there might have saved for years/used a discount code? I don't get comments like that. :confused3

The following are sort of annoying to me in the parks:

1. Loud comments or stares about whining/tantrumming kids. You have no idea what's going on - move on and worry about your own problems.

2. Assuming that anyone using an electric cart is fat/lazy/doesn't need it. I've seen the nasty comments here and I've heard them in the parks. Doesn't mean there aren't people who don't use them properly, but one can't generalize like that.

3. Assuming that people without obvious handicaps who use a handicap pass are cheating the system (has happened to us with our autistic son - we've had people actually try to cut in front of us in the handicap/accessible line or make rude comments because they just assumed we were in the wrong place!)

4. Assuming that all cast members are there specifically to do your bidding and are personally responsible for every aspect of your happiness. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people talk down to wait staff, front desk personnel, mousekeepers about some issue that has nothing to do with that person's job. (If your dinner is cold, politely ask to exchange it for another, don't berate the waiter!) It drives me nuts. Yes, they are part of the Disney magic, but they still need to be treated with respect and dignity.

North of Mouse
09-28-2012, 09:04 PM
If you think people are judging you for staying, or not staying, at certain Disney Hotels, try this one----

My DH & love the Ft. Wilderness Campground and have stayed there since the 2nd year they opened. A couple years ago we were on the boat back from MK when several families were coming in for the Hoop de do show, a young girl old enough to know better loudly proclaimed that she was not happy that they had to go to a campground just to reach the dinner show :rolleyes1 Her mother, thinking probably that it would sound better, said, but honey, it's a very nice campground!

My DH & I still laugh about it. Wanted to let her know that some of the MH's there may have cost more than her house, but we realized it was ignorance brought on by what she was taught. We love camping all over (raised our children on camping vacations) and quite honestly prefer our MH over any of the hotels there. We could stay in any of them if we wanted to, but don't want to. It's the mentality of a lot of people that if you camp, you are trashy and can't afford anything else. It's a way of life just like staying in Hotels. Whatever anyone enjoys and can do on vacation is the thing to do. Any and all of the hotels there are nice, they just aren't us. :)

RedfromNL
09-29-2012, 12:56 AM

That would get me too. I just don't like people who act like they know the secret to a good holiday and if you make a different choice you're foolish/stupid/whatever. (I dont like them in other settings either :))

I like being on-site. For me it enhances the holiday. If it doesn't for you then don't!! It is your holiday, enjoy it your way.