PDA

View Full Version : Pod Coffee Maker Questions or Yet One More Coffee Thread

hughjulia
09-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Ok, I know there are already two coffee threads this morning. Huh, Sunday morning and people are thinking about coffee. I wonder why that is?

Basically, I want to know all things pod. What are your experiences and tips with the pod coffee maker.

Normally I bring my own coffee to the resort. I bring filters, and a pack of disposable coffee cups as well. I make a pot of coffee while my wife is getting ready, and I drink it on the balcony. It is a great way to start the day. I bring my coffee because I like what I like. I like this Bolivian coffee from Costco right now, but really it doesn't matter what the coffee is. I bring it because it is the coffee I like. I also like my coffee strong, so I want to be able to add as much as I want. Depending on how long my wife takes, I may brew a second pot, fill up my disposable cup, and head out to the park with the perfect cup of coffee. Perfect from my point of view anyway.

Now the pods have thrown a small wrinkle in my perfect morning, but I sure it can be dealt with.

How do you make the coffee stronger? Do you just add less water?

Should I bring my own pods? Does anyone recommend any?

I seen some filters on Amazon that allowed you to make your own pods. This seemed perfect, but when I read the reviews I saw that they needed a $40 sealing machine. That seems weird.

I also seen an Amazon reviewer mention that Senseo just stopped selling the pods in the US. Is this a dying product that Disney has invested in? I know the Keurig thing is really selling well. Maybe the K-cups are killing off the pods.

hokie98
09-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I've been reading this sorts of threads too, and recently I looked at my local WalMart to see if they had the Senseo pods. They don't, but for $2.48, they had this contraption (it's more than twice the price at Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6

That seems like a better idea than pods if you prefer your own coffee. I'd let the water flow through the coffeemaker to get it hot, then pour the hot water over this 'over the cup' filter. It takes a couple more steps than tossing a pod in the coffee pot, but may be worth it.

BenandMorgsMom
09-16-2012, 04:19 PM
I experienced the pods for the first time in July. I am a coffee drinker so imagine my surprise when after bringing all my own filters and coffee (DVC Member habit) to find that the CSR had that new contraption.
Mousekeeping left only 2 pods per day. That is 2 TINY cups of coffee and 4 days of a 10 day trip they forgot and left no pods. I wrote a bunch of notes. It became pathetic.

The coffee is weak at best and that is all I can say.
My solution and one I have previously posted. Upon check-in inquire if they have an old fashion coffee maker and take it from there. I have one of those Melita self brewer and they work well, but you will not have a pot of hot water to pour into it to get the brewing action you desire for a nice cup of Joe.

Good luck.

hughjulia
09-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I've been reading this sorts of threads too, and recently I looked at my local WalMart to see if they had the Senseo pods. They don't, but for $2.48, they had this contraption (it's more than twice the price at Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6

That seems like a better idea than pods if you prefer your own coffee. I'd let the water flow through the coffeemaker to get it hot, then pour the hot water over this 'over the cup' filter. It takes a couple more steps than tossing a pod in the coffee pot, but may be worth it.

There are a surprising number of positive reviews on Amazon for this item.

I think what you are suggesting would work, although each batch is going to be pretty small. It would probably net even less than a cup.

I do know that my wife would think I'm nuts. "So let me get this strait, you are brewing coffee but not adding any coffee. Then you are going to take the coffee you brewed without coffee to make coffee by pouring it through coffee. Why aren't you adding coffee again?"

They need an emoticon where the smiley face is making a crazy sign. Although it might crash from overuse.

I'm really thinking about trying this. The device is only a couple of bucks at Walmart. I can do a dry run at home using microwaved water.

hughjulia
09-16-2012, 06:47 PM
My solution and one I have previously posted. Upon check-in inquire if they have an old fashion coffee maker and take it from there.
Good luck.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

I have read on a couple of threads where the individual was told no, we do not have a regular coffee maker you can use.

minnie mum
09-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I've totally given up with the disney in-room coffee makers. I don't care anymore- I'm bringing my little 4 cup maker, filters and my own coffee. :rolleyes1

hughjulia
09-16-2012, 09:00 PM
I found these two somewhat recent reviews on Amazon.

"The pods are never in stock, making my nearly new senseo coffee machine useless. They don't care about customers anymore I think."

"I can no longer buy the pods in the stores or on the Senseo (or Phillips) website. The website keeps posting that they are backordered. Been a long time now. Very disappointed in the company and I no longer have any pods left so Senseo is now garage decor."

Wondering if Disney stocked their resorts with a dead or dying product line.