PDA

View Full Version : urgent care near WDW

TeamBlack
09-14-2012, 11:53 AM
We leave in a few days for a 10 day stay at WDW. and was wondering if there is an urgent care or pediatric urgent care near WDW. Or does anyone know of a doctor that will do a house call, we will be staying at the POR Riverside.
Our 3 year old has picked-up a cough, and I'm thinking worst case sinerio right now.
Thanks

Mack1
09-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Urgent care facilities and hospitals near Walt Disney World

Buena Vista Urgent Care
8216 World Center Dr., Suite D
Orlando, FL 32821
407-465-1110

Buena Vista Urgent Care offers a range of services for primary and urgent care, family care, and minor injuries. Services include walk-in and 24 hour emergency care (call for the latter). The location is near SR 535.

Centra Care
12500 South Apopka Vineland Rd. (SR 535)
Orlando, Florida 32836
407-934-CARE (407-934-2273)
Hours of Operation: Weekdays, 8 a.m. midnight, and weekends, 8 a.m. 8 p.m.

Centra Care is located near to Downtown Disney, and offers a range of non-life threatening services, including family medicine, pediatrics, and orthopedics. They offer free transportation to and from area hotels, resorts, theme parks, and other attractions.

There are also a number of other Centra Care walk-in centers in Orange county that may be more convenient depending on where a guests is staying. Hours vary with locations, which include facilities at:

Azalea Park 509 South Semoran Blvd., Two blocks south of the 408, (407-277-0550)
Conway 5810 S. Semoran Blvd., corner of Semoran & Hoffner Ave. (407-207-0601)
Dr. Phillips 8014 Conroy Windermere Rd. (407-291-9960)
Lee Road 2540 Lee Rd. Winter Park, east of I-4 (407-629-9281)
Sand Lake 2301 Sand Lake Road, one block west of Florida Mall (407-851-6478)
Waterford Lakes 250 N Alafaya Trail Suite 135 (407-381-4810)
Winter Garden Village 3099 Aloma Ave. (407-654-4965)
Florida Hospital Celebration Health
400 Celebration Place
Celebration, FL 34747
407-303-4000

Located in Celebration, Florida, off of I-4, East Highway 192 and State Road 417, Florida Hospital Celebration Health is a 112-bed facility. It serves a wide range of health care needs, including family and general services, a pharmacy, and 24-hour emergency services.

ctl
09-14-2012, 11:59 AM
If you take your child to see your own pediatrician today, they can evaluate him and give him supportive care, or if necessary a prescription that you can fill if needs be. A cough is usually viral and only needs supportive care, but just to be sure have him checked. If you explain you are going on holiday they will usually give you a prescription to hold "just in case". I ended up having to take my DD when she was small to a doc-in-the-box near WDW and it cost a bunch. OTC cold and cough meds have been limited for kiddos by the FDA, so I would try your own doc before you leave. Better safe than sorry.pixiedust:

Lavaluma
09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
If you can fit it in, I second the go to your pediatrician before your trip. I hate taking my kids to urgent care because they tend to like over medicating. One time for a cough, an urgent care (not at WDW) told us to give DS (4 at the time) antibiotics, cough medicine and allergy medicine because one of those would take care of whatever he had.
Another possibility is that it could be allergies. Both of my children suffer from them and take children's allergy medicine daily. If we forget a day, I can tell because they start coughing that night. Before we started giving them the allergy medicine continuously, the majority of the times I took one of them to the doctor for a cough, it ended up being allergy based.

dvcwannabe
09-14-2012, 01:07 PM
The Medical Concierge: www.themedicalconcierge.com makes resort room calls. I just emailed them this morning to see if they come to POR, as that is where we are staying in Oct. I am trying to cover all my "just in case" bases also.

J&J
09-14-2012, 06:25 PM
once i had to call a doctor from disney. he came with a nurse then sent me to the hospital in an ambulance. they do not take changs on your health. the visit was charged none for the ambulance,

TeamBlack
09-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think were set now.

kendraokane
09-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Just responding about the new FDA guidelines the previous poster mentioned. There is no cough medication for children now under 6 years of age. Most coughs end up being caused by a viral infection such as the common cold- in which no antibiotic would be prescribed. The second cause would be from post nasal drip caused commonly by allergies, at that point usually children's Claritin is prescribed (ages 2 &up). This will dry up the nasal passage so the drip doesn't occur. Of course if your child had any underlying medical conditions such as asthma , I would see your own md before your trip for guidance.

123Dis4Me
09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
While at WDW in August, DS spiked a fever with a sore throat. After talking to the front desk at Art of Animation Resort I called Centra Care. We did not have a rental car, but Centra Care picked us up, brought us to the facility, filled the prescription for an antibiotic for strep, and dropped us back at the resort (no charge for transport). While it was not ideal to be sick at WDW, it was manageable. The front desk at the resort gave us pamphlets on the Centra Care and I think they even mentioned that there are doctor's who do housecalls. I hope the cough clears up before the trip :)

momof2minnies
09-16-2012, 08:19 AM
We used Centre Care in the past and although expensive, it was doable and we were back in vacation mode soon.

Linda

Missytara
09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
We used Centre Care in the past and although expensive, it was doable and we were back in vacation mode soon.

Linda

Definately agree; I had the makings of bronchitis a few years ago, and knew I had to be treated immediately or I was not going to be able to fly home a few days later.

They asked me what medication my doctor normally prescribed to me with no issues and while it was expensive, I was able to fly home that weekend.