PDA

View Full Version : 2 credit TS

Princess_taffy05
09-02-2012, 12:06 PM
In your opinion, which 2 credit TS restaurants are actually worth the 2 credits?

hoosll
09-02-2012, 01:30 PM
We love Yachtsman and Artist Point. Wonderful meals at both restaurants.

Tanyabeth8
09-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Yachtsman. I love Jiko too, but feel that Yachtsman is the better deal for 2 credits.

figment_jii
09-02-2012, 03:46 PM
My favorite is Narcoossee's. I order the lobster, so it's a good (i.e., economical) use of two credits.

Pakey
09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Are you looking for best food or best value of dollars to credits. The lobster at Narcoosees and the porterhouse at Yachtsman are probably the best value but these are my least favorite signatures. My top signatures, for food quality, are Flying Fish, Citricos, Jiko (I like appetizers better than entrees here) then Ca Grill (sushi only) Brown Derby and Artist Point. We enjoyed Portabello but haven't been since it joined DP. We were not impressed with WP's Dining Room, even before DP.

juliebug1997
09-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I would say the Yachtsman and California Grille.

B-Ride
09-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Are any restaurants worth 2 credits for absolute $ value? IMHO, no.

However, my wife is not a big eater and CS lunches are a real waste for her as she struggles to get through them. Next year we have decided to forget the pure economics and use 4 of her CS credits to eat dinner at WPE and use the extra TS credits to try a signature.

Hopefully the posts in this thread will help us decide which one to try.

CraigInPA
09-03-2012, 07:00 AM
It depends upon what you mean by "worth".

In pure economic terms, the "worth" (economic value) of a 2 credit meal should be at least twice the "worth" of a single credit meal. In that case, there is no signature dining experience that is "worth" 2 credits.

In subjective terms, the "worth" (overall experience value) of a meal is whether you think it's superior to what you would receive from a single credit meal. In this definition, one has to consider the ambiance, service, food quality, etc... instead of the actual dollars spent. In this case, there are few, if any, signature dining experiences that aren't "worth" 2 credits.

I personally believe that Narcoosee's and Artist Point are "worth" it. I haven't tried Jiko, but will in February. I hope, based upon all the reviews, that it finds itself in this group as well.

Craig

vinotinto
09-03-2012, 02:04 PM
We've had dinner at the following Signatures:
Cali Grill
Narcoossee
Citricos
Flying Fish
Brown Derby
Jiko

Of those, we enjoyed Cali Grill, Jiko and Flying Fish the best. We thought the food there was the most creative. Narcoossee was fine. I enjoyed the whole fish, but certainly seemed more casual and less inventive. Solid, but missing that extra special factor. Citricos was good value. The meal was expensive and there were some interesting choices, but I'm a huge lover of Mediterranean food and sometimes when we are big fans of something, a place may not quite live up to expectations. I would certainly give it another chance. Brown Derby's food was good, but being inside HS, it was so loud, which is why I don't put it in my top 3.

In our next trip, we have ADRs at Yacthsman, Cali Grill, Brown Derby and Flying Fish. So, obviously, we liked Cali Grill, Brown Derby and FF enough to return.

On the regular DDP, none of the Signatures are particularly good value. A meal there will not cost twice as much as other TS restaurants. Some of the entrees at the non-Signature restaurants were close in price to what I ordered at the Signatures. For example, my entree at Narcoossee was $35 and at HBD, it was $36. Many 1 TS restaurants have entrees above $30. So, if you are interested in a Signature, I would pay OOP for it and save your dining credits for a more expensive 1 TS meal.

JerseyJanice
09-03-2012, 02:15 PM
If you can get the "chef's tasting menu" at the Flying Fish Cafe, it is an outstanding value for 2 credits as it includes appetizers in addition to an entree and dessert.

Hoolie99
09-03-2012, 05:16 PM
We have tried the California grill, brown derby, and jiko. California grill was the best by far. Best food, best service, best view. Brown derby second for excellent food but no view..

Really can not stress how good everything was. The server poured me three samples of wine because I couldn't decide. The entrees were delicious and creative. The view was spectacular... Everyone says go for fire works. But I say go during daylight...

MentalVacation
09-03-2012, 09:54 PM
We have done Cali Grill, Jiko, Narcoosees all in the same trip:

I would rank them:

Narcoosees
Cali
Jiko

My husband would rank them:

Jiko
Narcoosees
Cali

He still raves about the steak and mac/cheese he had at Jiko. We both agree the crab cakes and cheesecake at Narcoosees was excellent. And the chef made me the most amazing custom sushi platter that was pregnancy-safe and wonderfully delicious. We had a child and another adult with us at Jiko and Narcoosees and I'd say Jiko was the least kid-friendly of all the restaurants we went to. (Cali had tons of kids at it even at the super late hour we were there) My mom was with us at Jiko and Narcoosees and I'd say she'd rank Narcoosees highest as well. It was just a really well executed meal from start to finish.

MentalVacation
09-03-2012, 09:56 PM
oooops. sushi platter: at cali grill.

TinkerbellinLouisian
09-03-2012, 10:03 PM
We LOVED The dining plan in days past...

Our situation now is better served by OOP.

That being said... If I were still on the Dining Plan I would consider CRT: Cinderella's Royal Table worth 2 credits for:

LOCATION : Every Diser should dine in the castle at least ONCE!:thumbsup2
Atmosphere: The castle itself is gorgeous (think of the history of this building!) and the Royal Treatment provided is very special (Very special my Lord !)
Food: Food isn't the BEST I've had at WDW but I did enjoy my last meal there and the other attributes trump any negatives with the food...That being said I would definitely say I enjoyed my food at CRT as much as at...say... Hollywood's Brown Derby.
COMPANY: The Princesses are SPOT ON in character and moved my group to tears, excitement, Pouting (my son because he was so enamoured), many many fun times with the princesses were had by all
EXTRAS: The pics provided and pic opportunities are precious !

Just my opinion... have a magical visit !

Mary

elaine amj
09-04-2012, 10:00 AM
We've only done 2 signatures - both during our last trip.

Narcoossee was very good. Had the lobster and steak so an expensive meal. The cheesecake was out of this world good - maybe the best I've had (and I've had all kinds of very good cheesecake). Had a window seat so view was awesome and a fantastic waiter who was funny, attentive, and very very good.

Would I go back? I doubt it. I was happy we did it but for us, it's a case of did it once, no need to repeat - especially since it cost 2 TS. We enjoyed our 1TS meal at Turf Club almost as much and our 1 TS meal at Ohana a bit more (this one was for the fun factor though). I actually enjoyed our 1 TS filet mignon at Le Cellier better than the filet here.

As for what a PP said about CRT - I'm so glad we did it this trip. Crazy $$$ but well worth it to forever say we "ate in the Castle". The new breakfast menu was very good - particularly my lobster and crab crepes. I really liked that it was all you care to eat and DH and I ordered 2 entrees each. The kids adored their wand and sword. The drawbacks? Super rushed - we dithered like crazy and were out in 1 hour. The princesses were just OK - better interaction at Akerhus.

All in all, we're not 2 TS folks and will just stick very happily with 1 TS places from now on.

Cafeen
09-04-2012, 10:38 AM
For DDP, few of them are worth it to spend credits on. This is because it's unlikely to create a meal at any of the signatures with just an entree, dessert, and drink that is equal to twice the cost of the same entitlements at most 1 TS restaurants (for dinners). For example, a 2013 DDP TS Credit will "cost" you roughly $35 (if I'm remembering the calculations correctly), so you'd need to get at least ~$70 worth of value out of those two credits, just to break even. Few, if any 2 TS meals cost that much individually.

For DxDDP, the math is different (though, a bit closer in 2013). Since you get more credits and each credit offers more (app plus the stuff on DDP), the cost to value ratio of the credits is far easier to attain. For example, a Dx credit in 2013 will cost ~$31, so for a 2TS, you'd need to hit ~$62 to break even. This is much more doable considering the extra entitlement for that particular meal (the appetizer) and the fact it's a lower credit cost as well. (Note: 2012 numbers were considerably easier to hit, it was in the $26-27 per credit range if I remember right).

Now, are the signatures good? For sure. Most of them are a step or two above your standard fare. Prices across the board are a "bit" inflated though (as we all know), so set your expectations appropriately. A meal at the same price point would be far different in your hometown than in Disney's restaurants (this goes across the board, not just signatures).

(As a note, the Chef's Tasting Menu at Flying Fish is NOT available on the DDP).

sabcook
09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
We always do the deluxe plan so we get the appy as well for the two credits- it does make a difference. Those I think are definately "worth" two credits in terms of quality and experience are....

Artist Point
Bistro
California Grill
Citricos
Jiko

I would say Brown Derby is on the line only because we have had very inconsistent experiences there - sometimes we love it and sometimes we leave there thinking - huh?

I wouldn't spend two credits on Flying Fish or Narcoosees (just personal preference).

We do usually spend them on CRT and HHMR but only because we get so many on the deluxe plan that it works out for us.

Good Luck!

TheNewMrsB
09-04-2012, 11:55 AM
To DH and I, California Grill, Artist Point, Narcoossee's and Yachtsman are worth it, as evidenced by the fact that we've returned there time and again.

We don't go in expecting 4 or 5 star quality - our expectations are reasonable. We do, however, dress nicely, take our time through the meal (CG and Narcoossee's are usually at least 2 hours), chat up the servers and let them know throughout the meal how pleased we are (at least, I do...I'm pretty enthusiastic sometimes) which usually results in even better service, and generally make it a point to soak the whole thing in. It doesn't hurt that we've never been disappointed by a meal at any of the above referenced restaurants - especially CG, which we're hopelessly in love with. To us, the experience as a whole warrants 2 credits.

Maybe it helps that we usually have Mickey-shaped stars in our eyes while we're in WDW. But then again we had a slightly below-par experience at Rose & Crown which turned us off of them forever, so we're not exactly pushovers when it comes to dining. We know what to look for and we know what we feel is worthwhile and what isn't.