PDA

View Full Version : TS Kids Menu Issues

clsteve
09-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Unfortunately, I'm VERY underwhelmed by the TS kids menus.

We're heading to WDW end of Nov on the DxDDP with one 10 yr old DS and one 7 yr old DS for their 1st trip (DW and myself have been many times since we were kids but swore we wouldn't go with the DS's until the youngest could go on everything the oldest could! I'm sure those with 2+ boys understand....::yes::).

The problem is: my youngest just cannot survive for the whole trip on chicken fingers, poor pizza and kid's-sized burgers-especially when his older brother is having an adult meal. Both have adventuresome appetites and enjoy everything from curry to sushi.

We're doing one TS for an early lunch in the parks and 2 credit sig's in the evening (Cali Grill, Narcoosee's, Flying Fish, Jiko, Brown Derby, Citrico's).

My question is: have any of you had success getting a kid's sized version of an adult entree by speaking with the chef or manager? I understand that the park restaurants may be difficult, but I was hoping the resort restaurants might be more willing to work with us. Thoughts?

Maxim
09-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm relieved to see that my DD is not the only who eats normally and is not interested by chicken fingers, PBJ sandwichs or burgers.

clsteve
09-02-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm relieved to see that my DD is not the only who eats normally and is not interested by chicken fingers, PBJ sandwichs or burgers.

It's really surprising to me- I would think some of the chefs would be embarassed to put out such an uninspired (and unhealthy) kids menu at their establishment. That's why I was hoping they would work wiith us.

kerriemiller
09-02-2012, 09:31 AM
I have not run into this problem yet. My kids are also interested in eatting regular meals. So I have been looking at the kids choices and I have found that at least at the resturants I looked at there is at least one regular menu option. Like at Coral Reef there is a fish of the day that comes with rice. And at Liberty Tree Traven there is a kid size version of the pineapple flat bread. And at Teppon Edo there are a couple choices for noodles. I think with a little planning we should be able to find them more options.

gtpoohbear
09-02-2012, 09:45 AM
My DD hates burgers, chicken nuggets, etc too. That's one of the reasons we do the DxDp, we have found that most of the TS restaurants usually have at least one choice on the kids menu that is decent. (Meatloaf, grilled chicken, fish, etc.) There are a few that are more lacking than others, but remember they can also share from your plate, and of course at buffets they can eat anything. CS is mostly junk for kids.

I've never tried myself, but I've never heard of anyone being able to order a kid-sized portion of something off the adult menu. I think they will only make exceptions like that if they have some sort of allergy or restriction that the kid's menu can't solve at all.

So, not sure where you are planning to eat, but keep checking the TS menus, there are quite a few with at least one decent kid's choice. I know it stinks though - DD will be 9.5 next trip and it was tempting to just "make" her 10 instead... if by chance we end up getting a good discount that would make up the difference I might still consider it.

Amyhoff
09-02-2012, 09:54 AM
I totally understand! I'm worried about my four years old!! She won't eat that crap either!

If I were you, I would upgrade him to an adult ticket. I couldn't justify feeding my kid that stuff for every meal. We are doing tons of buffets because my youngest is two and it's just easier for us, so I will be able to give the kiddos whatever they want.

Good luck!

AlohaAnnie
09-02-2012, 09:59 AM
That is one of the reasons we always did buffets more choices for the kiddos.

:goodvibes

lilipad
09-02-2012, 10:17 AM
I also have a 7 yr old that is more adventuresome. Some of the kids menus do veer off the chicken finger path; however, they are few and far between. If you go to the more "exotic" restaurants, you'll sometimes find more exotic kid size fare. We ended up ordering an adult portion and, more often than not, he finished it off. Never thought to ask for a smaller portion though.

clsteve
09-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I would love to see the compromise of allowing a child to order an adult appetizer as an entree- the french onion soup at Chefs de France or a kids-sized california roll at the Cali Grill, for example.

I know we will end up sharing our meals (as we always do), but it would be nice to see Disney set a better example for kids eating habits as well as give parents a chance to expand their children's food horizons at the same time they may be trying a new cuisine.

For example: at the Restaurant Marrakexh, I know there's no way I could talk my youngest into thinking the fruit cup, Child's Kefta -(Hamburger served on a bun with lettuce and tomato), Moroccan Pasta - (Served with meatballs in tomato sauce) are actually Morrocan cuisine.....

shannonstar
09-02-2012, 10:35 AM
This is why we usually end up eating at the Cali Grill, Boma, and such. They have a much better kids menu. Most of the Epcot World Showcase restaurants will also have at least one authentic option.

Kona has grilled fish, WCC has the skillet for kids.

You might have to do some searching and forgo quick service, but it can be done for the most part.

TheRatPack
09-02-2012, 10:36 AM
We do more buffets as well, gives the kids more options. We've not ran in to them eating chicken nuggets and burgers all week though, even when we eat counter service we can usually find a restaurant that has more variety.

Check out All Ears for menus and maybe plan some of your restaurants around those. The Menus-All Ears (http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm)

clsteve
09-02-2012, 10:39 AM
My DD hates burgers, chicken nuggets, etc too. That's one of the reasons we do the DxDp, we have found that most of the TS restaurants usually have at least one choice on the kids menu that is decent. (Meatloaf, grilled chicken, fish, etc.) There are a few that are more lacking than others, but remember they can also share from your plate, and of course at buffets they can eat anything. CS is mostly junk for kids.

I've never tried myself, but I've never heard of anyone being able to order a kid-sized portion of something off the adult menu. I think they will only make exceptions like that if they have some sort of allergy or restriction that the kid's menu can't solve at all.
So, not sure where you are planning to eat, but keep checking the TS menus, there are quite a few with at least one decent kid's choice. I know it stinks though - DD will be 9.5 next trip and it was tempting to just "make" her 10 instead... if by chance we end up getting a good discount that would make up the difference I might still consider it.

Maybe I'll just tell them DS7 is allergic to chicken fingers, cheese pizza, PB&J and kids burgers.....:thumbsup2

amym2
09-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I've heard of restaurants making adult sized portions of kids meals but never making kid sized portions of adult meals. I think if I were you, I would upgrade him to an adult.

The places you listed at least offer some variety in kids' meals- most have a steak and fish option. But I agree that it would be nice if they would offer smaller portions of adult meals. You can always ask, but I wouldn't count on it.

Secretselkie
09-02-2012, 01:01 PM

this is exactly what we are doing.. my DD will also be 9.5 when we go but we have put her on the booking as 10... this will give us more flexibility with the DDP credits and also mean that her and our other DD(4) can effectively share one adult and one child meal between them at TS meals which should mean they can get something they like ...

Like other people I am not happy about the junk they seem to consider acceptable for children for what is the main meal of their day :confused3

NoOrdinaryPrincess
09-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I've heard of some parents lying to make their children older to avoid this kind of problem. Would this be a possible solution for you?

BubMunkeyBles
09-02-2012, 01:22 PM
this is exactly what we are doing.. my DD will also be 9.5 when we go but we have put her on the booking as 10... this will give us more flexibility with the DDP credits and also mean that her and our other DD(4) can effectively share one adult and one child meal between them at TS meals which should mean they can get something they like ...

Like other people I am not happy about the junk they seem to consider acceptable for children for what is the main meal of their day :confused3

This. You end up having to upgrade his tickets to the adult ticket and also pay the difference in dining plan. From what people say it's usually worth the price difference.

clsteve
09-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Great suggestions, thanks much. DD10 will already be on the adult DxDDP, so I think we will go with DD7 on the kids, unfortunately, and share our meals around. for a 10 day stay, it's a significant enough increase in price and we also don't like wasting food (all adult meal portions might be too much for DD7 for 10 days).

But, I am going to try to see if the chef(s) will accomodate us on a few meals by asking if they'll put together a kids sized portion of the regular menu for us. It can't hurt to try and I'll give feedback on the forums to let everyone know if we had any success. I'm hoping some of the resort restaurants might be a little more open to the idea....

Since there seems to be quite a few of us in the same situation, if anyone else tries this before we go in November, I would love to hear how it went and which restaurants were open to the idea.

Thanks again everyone!

clsteve
09-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I'll also ask if they might substitute an adult appetizer for a kids entree- this would go a long way towards solving this issue for us. Looking at the menus, the price range should not be an issue for this.

Once again, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Geordietyke
09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
We are doing 3 signatures and 5 buffets (inc Akershus) but have chosen to upgrade our dd's (7 & 8) because they too rarely eat nuggets/burgers and they would run a mile with PB&J or mac n cheese! We have free dining so we only paid the difference between the child and adult ticket which is so worth it for us.

The CM we spoke to said that lots of people chose to upgrade.

Tanyabeth8
09-02-2012, 02:59 PM
When I glanced at the menus for some of the signature restaurants you chose, it looked like some of the kid menus included steaks, seared fish, salmon and chicken dishes. Would they be happy ordering one of those meals and perhaps having a bite or two of the adults sushi etc?

purple figment
09-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Since you'll have 3 people on the adult dining plan, that will include 3 apps, 3 entrees and 3 desserts. We found the DxDDP to be a lot of food and could easily be shared with a 4th person. Perhaps your 7 year old could have one of the apps as his entree - such as the California Roll you mentioned at Cali Grill. He could also share entrees (e.g. with someone ordering the curry at Jiko for example.)

Therre's no guarantee that any restaurant will downsize an adult portion because then it starts down the slippery slope of doing it for picky eaters, adults with small appetites, etc. for a reduced price. If you want to ensure that he can order from the adult menu, you can age him up to 10 as others have said, but that will be an additional expense.

At best, you can ask, but be prepared to share your meals. Not too difficult as I mentioned since you'll be getting a lot of food. :)

jcemom
09-02-2012, 04:51 PM
We've never had a problem getting DD something interesting and filling enough at TS restaurants. (CS kids meals are another story -- tiny and boring.)

Where are you planning to eat -- the 1 TS places?

At AK: Tusker House is a buffet

At HS: 50's Prime Time has kids meatloaf that comes with an appetizer, Mama Melrose has kids chicken parm that comes with an app

At Epcot: Biergarten is a buffet, Garden Grill is family-style all-you-care-to-eat, Coral Reef has kids Mahi Mahi that comes with an app, Chefs de France has kids flounder, Rose and Crown has bangers and mash, Tutto Italia has spaghetti, Le Cellier has steak and cheese soup

At MK: Crystal Palace is a buffet, Liberty Tree has turkey or bbq chicken for lunch and dinner is family-style all-you-care-to-eat, The Plaza has sandwiches

Etc. While they may not have multiple "interesting" options at each meal, there is at least one. :thumbsup2

LilyWDW
09-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Honestly, either upgrade the child to 10 or don't do the dining plan. The dining plan doesn't work for everyone and it doesn't have to be made to work for everyone. If you don't like the restrictions then don't do it.

momof3ds
09-02-2012, 05:32 PM
We just got back and did deluxe dining, at Le Celier, our 3 kids were able to order from the regular menu for their entire meal.

sammyjo1871
09-02-2012, 05:52 PM
We are doing 3 signatures and 5 buffets (inc Akershus) but have chosen to upgrade our dd's (7 & 8) because they too rarely eat nuggets/burgers and they would run a mile with PB&J or mac n cheese! We have free dining so we only paid the difference between the child and adult ticket which is so worth it for us.

The CM we spoke to said that lots of people chose to upgrade.

This is something I never realized was possible. You can upgrade the dining plan from child to adult as long as you're willing to pay the difference? I can see how this would be quite expensive for parents with more than one child, but it's a nice option. We only do the regular dining plan and my son wants the adult options at CS as well as TS meals.

clsteve
09-02-2012, 05:56 PM
We just got back and did deluxe dining, at Le Celier, our 3 kids were able to order from the regular menu for their entire meal.

Wow, that's encouraging. Were all of them on the Kid's Plan?

Secretselkie
09-02-2012, 06:01 PM
This. You end up having to upgrade his tickets to the adult ticket and also pay the difference in dining plan. From what people say it's usually worth the price difference.

It is costing us 276 extra for adult rather than child ticket, and the cost of the upgrade of our dining plan from QSDP to DDP for another adult rather than a child... but, I worked out that because of the ability to be more flexible with CS credits it will actually save us 300+ :cool1:

I guess it will always depend what amount/type of food you know your child will eat and also where/how you plan to use the credits... For us it's a good way to do it :thumbsup2

Geordietyke
09-02-2012, 06:12 PM
To upgrade our tickets (14 day Ultimate UK ones) from 2 child to 2 adult ones, only cost us $85 (which is amazing as it's for 18 nights of DDP!), it then allows us 4 adult CS at a time (if we want to) and all those yummy choices at TS for our daughters.

We only learned we could upgrade from this forum :)

no capes darling
09-02-2012, 06:25 PM

This is what we did before hitting the "adult" age. I'm glad to be done with buffets/family style nearly every meal, but having a kid that happily eats nearly anything, it made it way less frustrating for that short timeframe.

Mommy2Jameson
09-02-2012, 06:28 PM

I agree that buffets are a great solution! That way everyone can get whatever they want and try everything!

Mommy2Jameson
09-02-2012, 06:33 PM
This is something I never realized was possible. You can upgrade the dining plan from child to adult as long as you're willing to pay the difference? I can see how this would be quite expensive for parents with more than one child, but it's a nice option. We only do the regular dining plan and my son wants the adult options at CS as well as TS meals.

Yes, you can "up" your child's age, but if I remember correctly, you have to upgrade their park tickets as well? Like they update the age on the reservation so you cant have an adult meal plan and child park tickets.

gtpoohbear
09-02-2012, 06:40 PM

My dilemma with whether or not to upgrade is that both of my kids are actually just under a cutoff - or will be. DD will be 9.5, DS will be 2.5. To upgrade both of them (+ ticket upgrades) would be about $1000 for the 7 night stay.

Sure it would be nice to have more choices and not have to worry about sharing. But not sure that it's $1000 nice, kwim? Of course, I could just upgrade one of them, but then which one, and is that fair, yada, yada.

If by chance we got free dining I'd do it in a heartbeat, (but that't not likely in April) otherwise we'll probably just make do this one last time. After all, part of our reasoning for going in April was that it would be a lot cheaper than waiting until after their birthdays in Aug/Sep. Most everywhere we will eat does have one token "good" choice on the kid's menu, but it kind of takes away the whole "choice" concept.

Mommy2Jameson
09-02-2012, 06:49 PM
My dilemma with whether or not to upgrade is that both of my kids are actually just under a cutoff - or will be. DD will be 9.5, DS will be 2.5. To upgrade both of them (+ ticket upgrades) would be about $1000 for the 7 night stay.

Sure it would be nice to have more choices and not have to worry about sharing. But not sure that it's $1000 nice, kwim? Of course, I could just upgrade one of them, but then which one, and is that fair, yada, yada.

If by chance we got free dining I'd do it in a heartbeat, (but that't not likely in April) otherwise we'll probably just make do this one last time. After all, part of our reasoning for going in April was that it would be a lot cheaper than waiting until after their birthdays in Aug/Sep. Most everywhere we will eat does have one token "good" choice on the kid's menu, but it kind of takes away the whole "choice" concept.

I took my son when he was 2.5 y/o. We did lots of buffets and he was able to get his own plate and eat what he wanted. I did order him a kids meal at 2 TS places. One place charged me, which was what I expected. At Askerhaus, she did not charge me. I was happily surprised.

For QS, most of the adult meals were large enough that he shared with me without any issues. I would get fruit for dessert each time which he would eat.

There is a lot of good information on the Disney Food Blog. I don't think i'm allowed to post a link, but if you search:

Disney Dining Plan FAQs: Kids and the Disney Dining Plan

you should find it easily!
It tells you exactly what is and isn't allowed with the various ages and meal plans! :)

scojos
09-02-2012, 06:52 PM
we upgraded our dd who was 8, and was the est decision ever!
i wouldnt upgrade the 3 yrold, just upgrade ur eldest and they can share... its alot of food....

jcemom
09-02-2012, 08:08 PM

If by chance we got free dining I'd do it in a heartbeat, (but that't not likely in April) otherwise we'll probably just make do this one last time. After all, part of our reasoning for going in April was that it would be a lot cheaper than waiting until after their birthdays in Aug/Sep. Most everywhere we will eat does have one token "good" choice on the kid's menu, but it kind of takes away the whole "choice" concept.I agree with the others. Don't upgrade the little one. The difference in cost between a child ticket an an adult ticket isn't much. The difference between no ticket and a child ticket is a lot. Upgrade the older child if you want to, and pay out of pocket for whatever the little one wants -- buffets will be free. That will be less expensive than paying for another park ticket.

carrie6466
09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
We opted not to do the ddp this year. One of the reasons is that DD 9, doesn't like WDW chicken nuggets, pizza, mac n cheese or pb & j. Last year, she ordered a kids meal at every meal and then shared with DH and I and the kids meal just went to waste.

This year we got AP's and are going to try TiW and see how that works out for us.

Makes me glad to see that she's not the only kid that doesn't like the kids meals :)

Hopefully
09-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Great suggestions, thanks much. DD10 will already be on the adult DxDDP, so I think we will go with DD7 on the kids, unfortunately, and share our meals around. for a 10 day stay, it's a significant enough increase in price and we also don't like wasting food (all adult meal portions might be too much for DD7 for 10 days).

But, I am going to try to see if the chef(s) will accomodate us on a few meals by asking if they'll put together a kids sized portion of the regular menu for us. It can't hurt to try and I'll give feedback on the forums to let everyone know if we had any success. I'm hoping some of the resort restaurants might be a little more open to the idea....

Since there seems to be quite a few of us in the same situation, if anyone else tries this before we go in November, I would love to hear how it went and which restaurants were open to the idea.

Thanks again everyone!

I agree with a PP. It seems that the DxDDP isn't going to work for your family. If you are paying OOP, you can order whatever you want for them, where ever you are.
I agree you can ask the chefs to "work with you", but I certainly wouldn't expect a positive response. I don't see why you expect them to prepare a childs size of an adult entree for you.
I guess like lots of things in life "it is what it is" and if it isn't right for your family, you don't have to buy it.
Good Luck.

jessica23
09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
I agree with a PP. It seems that the DxDDP isn't going to work for your family. If you are paying OOP, you can order whatever you want for them, where ever you are.
I agree you can ask the chefs to "work with you", but I certainly wouldn't expect a positive response. I don't see why you expect them to prepare a childs size of an adult entree for you.
I guess like lots of things in life "it is what it is" and if it isn't right for your family, you don't have to buy it.
Good Luck.

Exactly. You aren't being forced to purchase the plan. You can just not do it and not have the issue anymore as you can order whatever your want then

vinotinto
09-03-2012, 08:28 AM
I have read many reports, and I have not seen anyone been successful at getting a kid-size portion of an adult entree, but I don't think you necessarily will need to go that route. Is this your first time going to WDW with the DxDP? If so, you will find that the amount of food that you will get with the 2 adults and 1 child as adult, each getting an adult app + entree, will more than supplement the 7-year old's meal. There's plenty to share. We are 2 adults and 2 kids and, for example, when we go to Cali Grill, we order sushi as an app and there's plenty of sushi to share with the 2 kids, as the portions are that big.

BUT, it does not hurt to ask if there are any other choices for kids. Speaking of Marrakesh, we were offered veggie couscous as a meal for a child, even though it wasn't in the "official" menu. It's basically the same veggie couscous. I think things like soups and stews - they have them already cooked for the adults - they can easily put a smaller quantity on a plate. But, things that have to be cooked-to-order, they are limited to what is on the menu. Remember all the food is already prepped and cut to portions. It's not just that portioning off the already prepped ingredients is hard, it's also time-consuming for the kitchen to do it mid-way through service. In the Signatures, the presentations can be elaborate, so portioning off a smaller amount can be challenging.

Some of the restaurants have had meal for the kids in the kids menu that are very similar to what they offer the adults. We've eaten at all of the following, so I'll try to showcase some of the choices that we saw that were not just chicken fingers type of food:

1) Angel Inn - 'kids' tacos entree choices were identical to adults' taco choices. App was a fresh spinach salad. Portions were huge. Food was very authentic.
2) Coral Reef - Kids' Mahi Mahi was pretty good. There was also a fish of the day.
3) Tusker House lunch buffet - Kids can choose from anything on the buffet and there were some great choices (salmon, samosas, salads, etc.).
4) Biergarten - Kids can choose from anything in the buffet and there were some good choices as well.
5) Marrakesh - As I said previously, we were offered veggie couscous.
6) LTT - Turkey with mashed potatoes - same stuff they serve the adults.
7) Kouzzina - Greek lasagna, fish of the day.
8) Sanaa - grilled fish with pilaf.
9) Signatures - All of them have a grilled steak or grilled chicken or grilled fish. The fruit salads are wonderful, not just the sad melon and grape cups everywhere, but chunks of real fruit - berries, pineapple, etc.

If after looking through these choices, it does not look like this will fit your 7-year old's eating habits, I would simply cancel the DxDP. At over $250 per day for your family, you can go to each restaurant you want to eat in and order what you want for your family and you probably will not spend that much. The DxDP is great when you have a party of real adults or adults + children under 10 and are going to some character meals/fixed price restaurants, but for a family that has adults and Disney Juniors going to Signatures and non-buffet TS, it seems to me that it is less value. Your choices for the child are limited and you are basically buyinga huge amount of food in advance.

clsteve
09-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Good Luck.

You're missing the point of my original premise and question. The DxDDP DOES work for the family. I've run the spreadsheets and have done very careful comparisons of the menus and price points. It is a significant savings fo us and fits our family eating habits. An early TS lunch followed by a later signature dinner is how we usually vacation.

However, many seem to be underwhelmed by the kids menus (offerings and healthiness) and I've never been an "is what it is" person. If the price point is the same, asking to substitute an adult appetizer (using the french onion soup at Le Chefs de France as an example) or a child's portion of the curry with rice (since it's already prepped) at Sanaa, I don't think is that out-of-the box, unusual, difficult, or cost prohibitive for what are considered upscale restaurants. I would not ask or expect them to child-size a filet. We've done this with no issues at establishments all over the globe.

The DISboards are replete with wonderful stories of accomodating CM's in all other areas of WDW. Why does the DDP need to be "it is what it is" if it's an apples to apples switch to their bottom line?

Hopefully
09-03-2012, 10:15 AM
You're missing the point of my original premise and question. The DxDDP DOES work for the family. I've run the spreadsheets and have done very careful comparisons of the menus and price points. It is a significant savings fo us and fits our family eating habits. An early TS lunch followed by a later signature dinner is how we usually vacation.

However, many seem to be underwhelmed by the kids menus (offerings and healthiness) and I've never been an "is what it is" person. If the price point is the same, asking to substitute an adult appetizer (using the french onion soup at Le Chefs de France as an example) or a child's portion of the curry with rice (since it's already prepped) at Sanaa, I don't think is that out-of-the box, unusual, difficult, or cost prohibitive for what are considered upscale restaurants. I would not ask or expect them to child-size a filet. We've done this with no issues at establishments all over the globe.

The DISboards are replete with wonderful stories of accomodating CM's in all other areas of WDW. Why does the DDP need to be "it is what it is" if it's an apples to apples switch to their bottom line?

My thought is that "working for you" means more than just financial considerations and even dining style. It also considers the inclusions and the exclusions of the plan you are purchasing.
I feel that you have clearly stated that the included child menu choices for your 7 year old don't work. You want special accomodations made for you in various upscale restaurants. Those are not included, thus my thought that it isn't right for your family.
Disney has to put boundaries around its plan offerings somewhere. It is with their childrens menu offerings.
As others have mentioned, you can pay to upgrade your 7 yo so that they have access to the adult menu, or you can choose to pay OOP, for that meal, or you can choose not to purchase the DxDDP for your family at all,
You have several choices, but expecting Disney chefs to make accomodations just for your family is asking too much, in my opinion.
Have a Great Vacation, whatever you choose.

LisaTC
09-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Most of the Signatures, as previously mentioned have much better child choices, if you peruse the menus. We got the DP last year because it was offered during the time we were going. I could've turned it down and gone another route, but thought we'd try it. I was fairly meticulous in researching menus with your same dilemma. I have a DD8 who is an exceedingly adventurous eater. She isn't a nugget/pbj/mac/cheese kid either. We're Italian and eat lots of veggies/salads/pasta, etc. So if she could get a salad/pasta, she did. She loves a good steak. I have read and I wish I could find it that if you put special dietary requests in your reservation that some chefs have come out and talked with patrons of children near the 10 year old age and have modified an adult meal. It was mostly with a pasta or fish dish. That was easily modifiable in a smaller portion. That said, I don't know that it is customary, however. Last time we ate at:

HDDR - first night, she loved it. Ate like little oinker.
Narcooses' had a good childs menu. I thought she had steak.
Rose & Crown - she loved the fish 'n chips
Boatwrights - the day we stayed in..she had the pasta with no cheese/no sauce -- they made it with a white sauce for her, I'm pretty sure, but don't see that on the child's menu anymore.
'Ohana's - she ate what we ate
One breakfast we had at Rainforest Cafe because I had a gift card, so she ordered whatever and they have a good kids menu.
Akershus breakfast was fine as well.

QS was tricker. Sometimes I traded her, to be frank. AK worked well at Flame tree..she had chicken as did we all, I think. Casey's we all had the same thing. Her only hotdog the whole trip. I'm considering upgrading her this year. We go in December and she will be 9 and I think it will be worth it even though I've picked some of the same restaurants. We have an ADR at Whispering Canyon and I know she'll hate that kids menu.

noahdove
09-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Buffets worked great for us as well.

purple figment
09-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I've never been an "is what it is" person. If the price point is the same, asking to substitute an adult appetizer (using the french onion soup at Le Chefs de France as an example) or a child's portion of the curry with rice (since it's already prepped) at Sanaa, I don't think is that out-of-the box, unusual, difficult, or cost prohibitive for what are considered upscale restaurants. I would not ask or expect them to child-size a filet. We've done this with no issues at establishments all over the globe.

It's not always an "apples to apples" switch particularly when you're talking about the non-Disney owned restaurants because at those places they are reimbursed by Disney according to the rules of the dining plan. They won't be able to sub an adult app or an adult entree on the child's credit because it's not listed on the child's menu and therefore not reimbursed. It has nothing to do with the price point being the same.

The Disney operated restaurants are more likely to do what you ask, but even some of themwon't be able to depending on which entree you're asking for. Yes, it's easier for a curry stew, but many entrees can't be reduced.

Yo've been able to do this at restaurants all over the globe because you were probably paying out of pocket. Using the dining plan at DW adds another layer of rules that the restaurant and you have to accept. Otherwise, the dining plan is not a good fit for your family, whether it's financially viable or not.

As I said earlier, and others have also said, the DxDDP is a lot of food and with 3 adults ordering an app, entree and dessert each, there should be plenty for your 7 year old to share. Let your 7 year old have one of the appetizers, such as the soup or have one of the adults order what the 7 year old wants and share it at places which cannot make the chld's portion of an adult entree or sub the app.

dixonsontour
09-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I think you will be fine with the 7 yr old as a child.

Choose your 1 TS meals as buffets or family style or go for non disney owned places. in my experience they offer kids better options not the usual kids fare. eg raglan rd, teppan edo, tutto italia

All the signatures offer 'real' food for children. Prosaic nation has done a nice dining review on here this week - 7 days DxDDP Mom and son trip - showing some of the kids options.

nemofans
09-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Some of those restaurants you mentioned had steak or salmon on the kids menu. That's what my DS ordered.

tinkluvr23
09-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I always notice they often don't offer kids vegetarian options. I have a niece that does not eat red meat and a fully vegetarian nephew. I also have a glutton free niece.

alex9179
09-03-2012, 09:09 PM
My thought is that "working for you" means more than just financial considerations and even dining style. It also considers the inclusions and the exclusions of the plan you are purchasing.

Exactly.

It's about more than "running the numbers". If you feel that exceptions should be made for your younger child, then it's not a good fit.

It's a PLAN. What's included in the plan is not sufficient for your family as a whole so you'd like Disney to make exceptions, therefore it may not work for you.

There are plenty of people who would like the inclusions changed, but that's not necessarily a choice at the dining establishments who are owned or contracted by Disney to accept the it.

I don't feel like my kids would appreciate the kid meals EVERY night, either. My situation makes an AP and TIW card a viable solution. Otherwise, paying out of pocket would be another option.

Maxim
09-03-2012, 09:19 PM
. I also have a glutton free niece.

I love the typo!!
My MIL is gluten intolerant also :cutie:

brymolmom
09-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Thanks again everyone!

I don't think they will do this - nor should they based on what you said yourself....the price difference is significant for child vs. adult which is why the adult offerings are so much better (ie: they COST more). Can you imagine if they allowed this? I'm sure there would be a whole lot more of 14 year olds who have small appetites who would 'suddenly' become 9 on the reservations...I'm having trouble getting your issue though - I checked a few of those restaurants and Narcossee's and Citricos have awesome kids options - pasta, pork loin, shrimp, grilled chicken, steak, fish.....So where exactly is your child going to get nugget'd to death?

If you mean your lunch meal...STick to buffets or just select your restaurants very carefully - For example - Tony's in MK has steak skewers and pasta on their child's menu.

My kids like pizza and nuggets - but not for every meal. It is very doable to stick to the proper kids menu and not have them eating those options every day, we've done it many times and that was with the regular DP - it'll be a breeze with the Deluxe. You just have to plan accordingly.

LisaTC
09-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I just upgraded my DD who will be 9 when we go to an adult ticket to get the adult dining because she is, as I mentioned in previous post, a very diverse diner. It was literally about $20.00 for the week. Granted we have the dining promo, but it was worth it. She'll have a better selection. Last year, she was a bit disappointed from time to time, so hopefully this time she'll enjoy her selections much better. Some of the signature restaurants will be more flexible with regard to making a dish. They even asked us last year at Narcoosee's about modifying for her without us even having to ask. However, I wouldn't count on that at the nonSignatures. Buffets shouldn't be a problem kidwise.

maxiesmom
09-07-2012, 06:57 AM

If you plan on asking to change this or that at almost every meal, then I have to point out that the plan doesn't work for you. And I mean this in the nicest way possible. What will you do if you go to eat and the restaurants won't switch out an app for an entree or won't make a kid's sized portion of something? You will be throwing money away. That doesn't sound like the plan works for your family.

Dinsey has a pretty strong history of NOT allowing substitutions or changes for people on the dining plan. You are taking a big chance, and I certainly wouldn't bank on them allowing any substitutions. And what will you do when they tell you no? You do need to have that plan in the back of your mind.

Also, have you really taken a good look at all of the menus? They are in no way all full of chicken strips and burgers. Maybe a bit more research would be helpful. You can find thing such as steak or fish on kids menus, but you have to look for them.

MSSANDRA
09-07-2012, 08:52 AM
My 5 year old truly thinks he is an adult:). He was not going to be willing to eat off the kids menu while we dinned on the good stuff.
We were on the regular DDP on our last trip in Jaunary. I don't think he ever ate a kids meal. We simply share everything with him and had plenty of food. AT TS service we just told them he was going to share with us.For the Fantasmic package he had to order to get the ticket for the show so we did and it sat uneaten. We used his CS credits mostly for the 3 for 1 snack exchange and for a couple of snack meals for our always hungry teen. It worked for us.

TDC Nala
09-07-2012, 09:04 AM
You can ask. But one of the tradeoffs of selecting a dining plan is that kids have to order from the kids' menus. The TS restaurants would likely be able to accommodate lifestyle choices like vegetarianism, and allergies. Ask, you may be surprised what they'll let your kids get - or you may get that they have to order what's on the menu.

disnut8
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Just because I was bored at work, I looked at the kids menus from the list of the OP. I saw one place that had a burger and one place that had a pizza. I didn't see any chicken nuggets (bit I had to do this quickly). Almost all the places have steak, grilled chicken, and/or fish. So it's not hockey puck burger, dried out nuggets or cold pizza we are talking about.

I think the OP should give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt since she's never been to Disney World with her kids on the Deluxe Dining Plan. Maybe it's just too much thinking it's going to be a disaster.

Minnesota!
09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
We tend to do a lot of buffets, too, for this reason. While my ODS would gladly eat a cheeseburger at every meal (not because he won't eat anything else...cheeseburgers just happen to be his most fave food ever!), my YDS really wants variety!

Boma, Biergarten, Tusker, etc. I would love to go back to Akershus...but my boys are mortified at the thought. We all loved the cold board.

tinkluvr23
09-07-2012, 06:50 PM
I love the typo!!
My MIL is gluten intolerant also :cutie:

Hehe oops. I need to be glutton free also if that is the case!

EEs*Mommy
09-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I love that I am not the only one with this issue. My littles will be 4 4 4 and 7 on our trip and I'm not even considering the dp because the will do much better splitting adult meals which I'm hoping they let them do since it would be more than the cost of kids meals. I know we picked BOG twice because has steak and all but one of my littles love steak. I wish the ratatouille was on the kids menu but he will get his own or be eating some of mine.