PDA

View Full Version : Sushi in WDW

ratcatshell
08-31-2012, 01:01 PM
OK, we are going in December during free dining and probably going to upgrade to Deluxe. Where should we go for sushi? I have searched the forum for reviews on Wolf Gang Puck Dining Room (my daughter loved the idea of the lobster maki roll) but I can't seem to find any reviews. I have seen that alot of people seem to like California Grill for the sushi. I myself don't eat it so a resturante with regular options would be appreciated. Any suggestions?

JimmyV
08-31-2012, 01:13 PM
The California Grill will still be open in December, but you may have a tough time getting a reservation. However, if your group is small, you can find space at either the bar or the counter of the open kitchen to sit, as those areas do not take reservations. The sushi at the California Grill is quite good.

There is "take away" sushi in the Polynesian Great Ceremonial Hut (lobby) up on the second floor right by the monorail entrance. That is all they sell, so it wouldn't be a place to go for people who don't want sushi, but others could do take out at Capt'n Cook's. (Capt'n Cooks also sells sushi, but AVOID).

Kona, (the sit down restaurant just to the right of the sushi counter in the Poly) also has sushi on the menu and it is good. And that restaurant serves plenty of other things as well.

Kimono's in the Swan Hotel has excellent sushi, but the rest of the menu is limited. Still, there is stuff there for a non-sushi eater.

If going just for sushi, my preference would be:
Kimono's (bigger selection than California Grill)
California Grill (excellent sushi and a great view)
Polynesian walk-away stand.

If going for sushi and needing a place with alternatives, my preference would be:
California Grill
Kona
Kimono's

All that said, I have not been to Wolfgang Puck's in a while, so I won't comment on the sushi, one way or the other. I am certain that others have opinions.

Karabee
08-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Kimonos is amazing - but unfortunately the menu is limited. There are rolls that are not raw fish though if you can do cooked seafood (something to think about). Kimonos is also not on the Dining Plan so that's probably out.

My top choice for you would be California Grill based on the need of sushi and something else. The sushi/sashimi at CG is absolutely wonderful and you can find something too :)

smiths02
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
What about Tokyo Dining? Is the sushi good there?
They also have tempura and grilled meat selections

psac
08-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Definitely California Grill (keep trying to get an ADR if you decide here, people cancel all the time, especially closer to the date), or Kona. At Kona when you sit they'll ask if you want the sushi menu as well. You can see the sushi menu on all ears, some items are a little un-traditional (Hawaiian spin), but it's very good. Their non-sushi food is excellent for a non-signature. California Grill food is generally excellent, period.

Mackie Mouse
08-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Another vote for Cali Grill here! My personal recommendation is to do a really late dinner so you can enjoy both sushi and the Wishes fireworks...the view is unparalleled up there! The sushi is also delish - we had a great roll resembling a rainbow roll when we went there. Yum.

disfan33
08-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Yet another vote for California Grill! We were there one week ago and the Spicy Kazan roll was to die for! Their flatbreads are also wonderful.

gatour
09-01-2012, 09:26 PM
I would go with Tokyo Dining.

California Grill is excellent but can be hard to get into.

Wolfgang's used to be great, but it now has its up and down moments.

Kimona's is good but kind of weird atmosphere.

jfinke
09-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Kimono's has the best overall sushi on site, IMHO. But, as others have mentioned, there is not a whole lot else. You are going to go there for the shushi.
Lots of people like CaliGrill and I have had it several times, but I don't get the hype.
Kona Cafe is similar, though I think you can actually sit at the sushi bar and order by piece.
I only had it one time in Japan and I thought it was pretty good.

ahutton
09-02-2012, 12:35 PM
We love Tokyo Dining - great sushi and good other Japanese options too.

B-Ride
09-02-2012, 07:28 PM
I would recommend Kona Cafe. For people who don't like sushi the food at Kona is fabulous (our favourite at WDW). For people who do like sushi you can ask to order from the sushi menu from the Kona Island Sushi Bar which looked pretty amazing although I can't vouch for the sushi as we all ate from the regular menu.

rentayenta
09-02-2012, 08:14 PM
We're doing Kona Cafe too. DS and I love sushi but the rest don't. We'll order from the sushi bar and have it brought over. Everybody wins.

We thought the sushi at Cal Grill was really good.

Princess_taffy05
09-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Our friends rave about Kimono's. Can't wait to try!

amberpi
09-02-2012, 09:02 PM
For best sushi it's kimono's hands down, for the atmosphere give the nod to cal grill. For an in park opition, tokyo dining works.

Enjoy your trip!