PDA

View Full Version : POR-Boatwrights?

LeahA
08-31-2012, 08:40 AM
We are going to be eating at Boatwrights on our upcoming trip, what is good there? We are going for dinner.

somesong2sing
08-31-2012, 08:43 AM
i don't think anything is good there. You couldn't pay me to eat there actually. The smell is awful and musty, and the servers were rude. Our food was almost inedible.

Maybe pick another place! :-)

LeahA
08-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Well that stinks!!!!

:worried:

Quin
08-31-2012, 08:53 AM
DH liked the catfish. I am a total non-spicy-food fan so a restaurant with a Cajun theme was NOT my choice, but I had a great meal with the beef tenderloin medallions. It came with some asparagus and "adult macaroni" (pasta shells with white cheddar sauce). Yummy! The only thing I didn't like was what was listed as a "crayfish beignet". Heavy, greasy, and just nasty. But that was only 1 little element of an otherwise good dish.

LeahA
08-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks Quin! It's always good to hear different reviews!

autismgoesdisney
08-31-2012, 09:41 AM
I couldn't disagree more with a previous poster. Our server was good, food was good...I got the filet and my hubby got the pork chip. Both were good!

MickeyNicki
08-31-2012, 10:10 AM
DH had the beef medallions and enjoyed them very much. I had a pasta dish that you can get with shrimp or chicken but I just had it with the veggies and I loved it. The french onion soup and caesar salad is the same you would get anywhere else, they were tasty. The highlight of the meal was the dessert.....bread pudding with rum raisin ice cream. Better than Ohana dessert.

We enjoyed it so much we are planning on going back in Oct for our arrival night dinner

MickeyNicki
08-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Here is the link to my review with pictures

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41281929&postcount=116

Gorechick
08-31-2012, 10:18 AM
I just ate there 2 weeks ago and had the beef medallions and Mac and cheese too. The beef tasted good but the Mac and cheese was too al dente. I felt the portion was small for the price and the children's selections looked awful. My DS had the pizza and it was the worst we had all trip. I ended up sick all night after we ate there and do not know if it was from the food, a bug I picked up or both.

Kay1
08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
We're spending a weekend at POR in October for the F & W festival. I've been saying bad things about Boatwrights since the last time we ate there, maybe two years ago.

I just checked their menu on Disney's site and may give it another chance. The menu looks pretty good and has a bit more variety.

Good luck making your decision.

:)

LeahA
08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks everyone for your reviews!

LeahA
08-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Liked your review MickeyNicki!

wendylovesdisney
08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm going there in 3 weeks and now I'm scared!

Nairnyn
08-31-2012, 12:31 PM
We ate there on our last trip, and it was delicious! I had the prime rib, which was melt in your mouth good. And the cornbread was sooooo yummy! I couldn't stop eating it. :blush:

The service was also excellent, and super nice. We were there on our first night of our honeymoon, and they brought us out champagne. We were so appreciative, but told our server we don't drink. She came back a few minutes later with balloons, beads, and sparkling cider.

rand1953
08-31-2012, 01:24 PM
just ate there 8-29-12 ,7 of us, food was very good 4 had the prime rib 10 oz cut one had pork chop ,one had fish no complants service was good no smells , i would eat here again anytime .

prttynpnk
08-31-2012, 03:35 PM
We've eaten there several times- the only issue I've had was ordering poorly- the jambalya is spicey for me, but I was warned. The cornbread and the pecan pie would make me forgive them of just about anything!

LeahA
08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your reviews, I think we are going to keep it. We will be staying at POR and this fits our schedule and budget for this trip!

believinthemagic
08-31-2012, 05:06 PM
We had reservations for one dinner there last trip. Had such a good meal that we ended up there twice!!

Best prime rib ever!! And sauteed mushrooms, and cornbread....mmmmm...now I'm hungry!

I also like that it was not crowded and very laid back.

MaggieBailey
08-31-2012, 05:51 PM
DH and I have eaten there several times, and love it! The only thing I didn't love was dessert, the Banana Foster... but DH had the pecan pie and I love that!

poohbear13
08-31-2012, 06:21 PM
This is our must go to place every trip. we are staying at coranado springs this year and we are making a special trip to eat at boatwrights. We love the service always nice and we love love love the food. DH and I tend to lean tward the prime rib. DS likes the catfish. I do have to say though that because it is heavly seasoned, if you don't like spice or salt you might want to ask for it to be toned down. But over all... we LOVE this restaurant!

metzgardesign
08-31-2012, 06:24 PM
....Or, as we refer to it.....Buttrot's. :banana:

scojos
08-31-2012, 07:50 PM
we ate there when we stayed at por in 2008, and returned in 2010 when staying at ssr!!

in 2008 (during ts faye) we ate there on our 1st night, straight of the plane, ds vomitted during dinner and dh took him ack to room to sleep, they boxed up all hubbys dinner inc bread rolls and butter, and sent dessert and coffee too... how kind???

DisneyFamily123
08-31-2012, 08:06 PM
.... The highlight of the meal was the dessert.....bread pudding with rum raisin ice cream. Better than Ohana dessert.

This is the main reason I'm going! Never been to Boatwrights but looking forward to this dessert. It will be one of our first dinners in case we like it so much we want to go back in the same trip.

catne
08-31-2012, 10:15 PM
we ate there this year...had the medallions, hubby had something way too spicy for me (sorry, don't remember what he had) We both enjoyed our food.My mac & cheese was delicious...and the desserts were excellent (something with booze on it, as I recall :-)

Service was good, except for getting refills on the beverages was slow, but other than that service was good...and they were absolutely slam-packed that night with the entire hallway & bar full of people waiting to get seated. It was pouring rain that night so I think a lot of people stayed at resort instead of going back to parks. We had ADRs and were seated within 15 minutes of checking in...but they were telling people wanting to get in that it would be 70-90 minutes wait times, it was that busy.

canopynut66
08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
used to have good prime rib and then went down hill so we have not tried it in four years. they also used to have great breakfast and stopped that long time ago. is to bad as really like POR we just do not eat there any more

Ro Z
08-31-2012, 10:27 PM
used to have good prime rib and then went down hill so we have not tried it in four years. they also used to have great breakfast and stopped that long time ago. is to bad as really like POR we just do not eat there any more

Last time we ate there was for breakfast. Haven't had dinner there in years. But in Nov we will be trying it again. Hoping for a good meal! Then drinks after with Bob in the lounge!!

Quin
08-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Then drinks after with Bob in the lounge!!

And that is the best reason of all to eat dinner at Boatwrights - to finish off a good meal with Yee-Haw Bob Jackson's show next door!

Ro Z
08-31-2012, 11:12 PM
:thumbsup2And that is the best reason of all to eat dinner at Boatwrights - to finish off a good meal with Yee-Haw Bob Jackson's show next door!

:thumbsup2::yes::::yes::

LeahA
08-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks all!

Sweet Melissa
09-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Last time we ate there was for breakfast. Haven't had dinner there in years. But in Nov we will be trying it again. Hoping for a good meal! Then drinks after with Bob in the lounge!!

That was our story too. We hadn't been there for anything but breakfast, but a freak snowstorm stranded us in Orlando for an extra couple days on our last visit and we added on a dinner at Boatwright's. It was a total sleeper hit. We loved everything we tasted (which, in a rare occurrence for us, included three courses each). I had the French onion soup, beef tenderloin and butterscotch crème brûlée. My partner had the gumbo, pork chop and pecan pie. We loved everything so much that we're making it a point to return when we visit again in November.

~Tonga Wingo~
09-01-2012, 02:45 AM
I ate there on my last trip in June and loved it. I love jambalaya and that is what I ordered. I also loved their pecan pie so much that I got a second piece to go for another day. Our server was the best one we had all week and he was really great with my niece and nephews who are a bit picky.

That week we ate at 'Ohanas (breakfast and dinner), Boatwrights, Ragland Road, Crystal Palace (breakfast), 50's, Garden Grill, 1900 Park Fare (dinner), Les Chefs, Kona, Le Cellier, Tusker House, LTT and The Plaza. It was our second favorite meal from the week. I say give it a shot if you think their menu looks good. We had great food and service. It's definitely not a signature meal, but it was one of my favorite family dinners that week because we had a great time and everyone, even the kids, enjoyed their food. I also think that the resort is very beautiful in a quaint sort of way.