PDA

View Full Version : Tonys Town Square

LeahA
08-31-2012, 07:37 AM
We have never been to this restaurant in all the years we have been to Disney. We decided to try it for lunch on our next trip. What are the better choice options here. I have heard mixed reviews!

Thanks!

eliza61
08-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Any option is better than Tony's. Go inside, take a picture (It's a lovely restaurant) and then leave. Do not eat the food, it is the only restaurant on Disney that I describe the food as down right NASTY.
My son's chicken parmagina was burnt. waitress was appalled. other son had spaghetti that was overcooked and mushy, my seafood dish was chewy and tasted bad, dh can't even remember his lasgna. These are basic italian dishes and they were all gross.

I like the plaza, limited selection, mainly sandwiches and salads but good.

I'd starve before eating at TTS again. seriously

Nomad70
08-31-2012, 08:09 AM
It has been almost 3 years, but we just did not like this place at all. DD and I were going to give it another try during our December trip, but I changed it to Chrystal Palace for Breakfast after reading the recent reviews.

LeahA
08-31-2012, 08:14 AM
That's too bad, we've eated everywhere else, just thought we'd try something different!

scrappymel
08-31-2012, 08:18 AM
we ate there on our last trip. food is about like olive garden or any chain italian. i wouldn't call it bad at all... not fancy, but not bad. the desserts were very tasty. we had excellent service at tony's as well. and as a pp said, the restaurant is lovely. check out the sidewalk out front... lady and tramp put their feet in the wet cement. :)

CraigInPA
08-31-2012, 08:57 AM
My wife and I both felt the food there was horrible. Consider Liberty Tree Tavern the best of the sit down table service restaurants at MK, with Plaza being a close second (and only because their simple sandwich faire and no appetizers makes it less of a value for anyone on the dining plan).

sephorachick
08-31-2012, 09:11 AM
ate here one time. Never again! :( better options are out there. Why not go to monorail hotel for that meal instead?

kissy
08-31-2012, 09:32 AM
We just ate there last Sept. I got lasagna, DH got steak. He didn't like his steak, I loved my lasagna. I would eat there again. I've heard alot of bad reviews but everyone has their own tastes. Dessert was delicious too!

LeahA
08-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone for your reviews!

PAcpl
08-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Tony's seems to get a bad name, but DW and I have eaten there a number of times and never thought it was that bad. I would say it is on the same level as the Plaza in my opinion. It is the Magic Kingdom and it is what it is. Do not compare it to the World Showcase. I personally think Liberty Tree Tavern's dinner menu is the best sit down meal in the park. But you need a variety and if you have never been to Tony's you have to check it out at least once to form your own opinion.

The first time we went our server was Claude (he is still there). He said everything on the menu was good, but stay away from the Pork Loin. He said and I quote "The Pork Loin, it suck!" in his very thick accent. It was our first taste of a real experience in Disney and DW and I were hysterical. Up to that point it was all magic and pixie dust, to hear that was very unexpected!

When we do go back to Tony's we always hunt Claude down and say hello.

As to what to eat, the last dish I tried was the Spinach Calzone and it was FANTASTIC!! I am not a big spinach eater, but that homemade dough was superb!

Dani C
08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
The vegetarian meals I have eaten there were all good. Can't speak on the meat dishes obviously, but my daughter liked them so they can't be that bad. (She is picky.)

Every restaurant will serve a "bad" meal at times and Disney is no exception. Also, different people have different tastes and expectations. If you aren't too picky, are open to trying new things (ask your server for recommendations), and don't set your expectations too high, you should be fine with trying it. If you don't enjoy it, consider it a lesson learned and opt for something else next time. Enjoy your visit!

Soarin' Rocks
08-31-2012, 12:02 PM
We have always enjoyed Tony's and haven't anything that was bad there. Is it on the same level as a fine dining restaurant? No...but it's perfectly fine. The people I've eaten with have always enjoyed it too - different people at different times. I say try it!!

mickeysbestfriend
08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
three chances and took them off my list. I have never had a good meal there...in fact...the last one was chicken parm and it was so badly burned it crunched when I tried to cut it. I let my waiter know and he agreed it was pretty bad. The pasta wasn't any treat either...it was a sticky glob that must have been lost at the bottom of the pot. I didn't pay for the last meal there and would only ever try it again if it was free :(

brertoad
08-31-2012, 02:22 PM
There are thing I like and things I don't like about TTS. Great location, awesome to be seated on the patio when the MSEP is going on. I like their dinner rolls. The food isn't awesome, but it's decent, the restaurant is quaint and charming in it's own way, one of a kind. First time we went we had horrible service - worst ever at Disney, her name was Maryanne. I ordered the ravioli and was extremely disappointed with the meal and portion. For $18 you should get better than 5 thin floppy raviolis. Second time we went it was much better, I ordered the lasagna.

LeahA
08-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Thank you for your responses the last13 trips we have never eatern there, we will give it a try this time. My kids actually love Olive Garden, so if I can keep the 3 of them happy, that's fine with me, mediocre meal or not!

Thanks for your reviews!

jazz0007
08-31-2012, 04:41 PM
We've gone there quite a few times as well. I'm with the camp that says it's ok.....nothing to rave about but nothing terrible. The atmosphere is pretty. We would go back (and are in October :) ). I think you should try it if you've never been. There are SOME people that don't think it's awful!! :)

noahdove
08-31-2012, 06:41 PM
We tried there in early August and never again...nothing was good at all...I feel we wasted a meal on the dining plan...

eliza61
08-31-2012, 06:45 PM
I had to laugh because as I'm reading the reviews and thinking, "when did it become the norm to go to a restaurant where the best of the reviews are "it's not horrible"? and those are the best reviews.

Let me ask you, would you try a restaurant at home where 70% of the people said it was terrible and the other 30 basically said it was nothing to rave about but edible?

just thought it was funny

LeahA
08-31-2012, 10:58 PM
I had to laugh because as I'm reading the reviews and thinking, "when did it become the norm to go to a restaurant where the best of the reviews are "it's not horrible"? and those are the best reviews.

Let me ask you, would you try a restaurant at home where 70% of the people said it was terrible and the other 30 basically said it was nothing to rave about but edible?

just thought it was funny

I like hearing other people's OPINIONS and their REVIEWS, but I would like to try it myself, if it sucks, then we won't go again. I am not on the Dining Plan and we are travelling during the Holiday Season. We have eaten at LTT the last several years and don't want counter service.

MinnieLee
09-01-2012, 04:55 AM
We like to try a new restaurant every trip and DH and I went to Tony's one trip. It was nothing to write home about. Edible but not great. Not one of the restuarants we would go back to anytime soon. Atmosphere was nice but not worth going back for atmosphere when there are so many other choices.

eliza61
09-01-2012, 07:32 AM
I like hearing other people's OPINIONS and their REVIEWS, but I would like to try it myself, if it sucks, then we won't go again. I am not on the Dining Plan and we are travelling during the Holiday Season. We have eaten at LTT the last several years and don't want counter service.

I wasn't trying to criticize or talk anyone out of it. I was just thinking of how when I'm home and looking for a new place to eat, I read reviews on yelp or tripadvisors. I would never think of trying a place at home if 70% of the reviews were bad. maybe it's because I live in a big city so just way to many other options...
but at disney, I would be tempted to try it....

That's all it just struck me as odd.

forever11709
09-01-2012, 08:04 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tony's! I cancelled a le cellier ADR on my last trip to go to Tony's, it is almost always our last meal before we leave to come home and I LOVE their chicken parm, and my mom loves thee spag n meatballs :) I know I'm the odd one out here but it is a must do in my book ..

Amy&Dan
09-01-2012, 06:27 PM
We really enjoy Tony's. We have eaten there several times over the years and never had anything but a very enjoyable meal, with great service, great atmosphere and think its far from "not horrible".

Now, I do notice that many people who do not care for Tony's are from the east coast where excellent, non chain Italian restaurants are all over the place. I live in a suburb of Denver and the only Itailan around here is Olive Garden. So that is my story and if anyone wants to argue with me about how much Tony's sucks, go right ahead!

Its all about different tastes for different folks. Remember, that if you search a username of someone that hates Tony's, you might see them post on another thread about a restaurant they love, that you hate!

My dh always gets the steak, last time (in April of this year) I got the tilapia and risotto (was a special), ds got the steak and dd got the lasagne. We all loved it and the desserts were really good. I LOVE their pistachio creme brulee. :cloud9:

I have to say this place gets the most dedicated haters of any other restaurant but for us, we enjoy it.

I am bummed, I can't get a ressie for dinner at all for our October trip but LTT, Crystal Palace and the Plaza all have many openings. So somebody besides me likes Tony's!

Vidia1975
09-01-2012, 07:08 PM
We actually tried Tony's our last trip in Nov/Dec and Loved it. DH & I both got the braised lamb shank. I thought it was one of the best meals I've eaten in a while. We liked it so much, we're going back on our next trip in 2wks (the 1st night actually).

TheRustyScupper
09-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Our Ratings of Tony's Town Square (Dinner): (12/12/2011)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Not something to write home about. Meat
dishes are average and Italian entrees are akin to
Chef-BOY-AR-DEE; tomato sauce, but definitely not a
marinara. The appetizers are average. In a pinch,
will do, but there are far better choices. Desserts
are simple, but pretty good. Hard to justify going
the first time, let alone going back.

laceemouse
09-01-2012, 09:01 PM

We ate at Tony's a few years ago and loved what we got. We plan to try it again this December. We have eaten at other places that everyone loves and not liked them. LTT is just like Boston Market to us. To each his own:confused3

laceemouse
09-01-2012, 09:02 PM
We actually tried Tony's our last trip in Nov/Dec and Loved it. DH & I both got the braised lamb shank. I thought it was one of the best meals I've eaten in a while. We liked it so much, we're going back on our next trip in 2wks (the 1st night actually).

:thumbsup2

goofyintoronto
09-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Any option is better than Tony's. Go inside, take a picture (It's a lovely restaurant) and then leave. Do not eat the food, it is the only restaurant on Disney that I describe the food as down right NASTY.
My son's chicken parmagina was burnt. waitress was appalled. other son had spaghetti that was overcooked and mushy, my seafood dish was chewy and tasted bad, dh can't even remember his lasgna. These are basic italian dishes and they were all gross.

I like the plaza, limited selection, mainly sandwiches and salads but good.

I'd starve before eating at TTS again. seriously
These are my thoughts exactly,...i only disagree about the appearance, I think its cold and uninviting. I dont think its pretty at all. As for the food, its absolutely disgusting. I would never set one toe in that restaurant as long as i live. I cant believe they call that italian food. In what world? Your way better off eating at The Plaza, or LTT, or even CP! Anything but Tony's.

goofyintoronto
09-01-2012, 09:18 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tony's! I cancelled a le cellier ADR on my last trip to go to Tony's, it is almost always our last meal before we leave to come home and I LOVE their chicken parm, and my mom loves thee spag n meatballs :) I know I'm the odd one out here but it is a must do in my book ..

softballmom3
09-02-2012, 05:52 PM
We actually really enjoyed Tonys. I would definitely go back!! I had a flatbread and pistachio Creme Brûlée. It was pretty darn good :).

eeyoreforever
09-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Another thumbs up for Tony's from me. We've ate here every trip (we do both lunch and supper) for the last 10 years and never had a bad meal. My personal favorite at lunch is the eggplant dish. For supper we usually get the shrimp scampi and I've had the salmon and steak also, both of which were excellent.

Give it a try and see what you think. Hope you like it as much as we do.

Lifeangel1
09-03-2012, 07:36 PM
We have always enjoyed Tony's and will be eating there again in 26 days.

vtownpatty
10-31-2012, 06:38 PM
We had lunch there on our first trip 3 years ago and enjoyed our food. We are eating dinner there on our upcoming trip in December.

mikeyg1479
11-05-2012, 01:04 PM
For me, its very standard Italian place- probably the bottom of all table seating Italian places in Disney. The food was edible, but nothing special- I'd rather eat at the Olive Garden, but maybe a step up from the local dive Pizza joint that makes pasta too.

However, great location & atmosphere. For me, the magic kingdom kind of lacks anyway for table dining at dinnertime (not experienced "Be Our Guest" yet) so its about as good as anything to me if your looking to sit down and eat dinner at the Kingdom.

Worked out well eating dinner there and being right in the neighborhood to grab a spot for the evening parade.

AuntPol
11-05-2012, 01:26 PM
We enjoyed eating there. It was great for viewing the parade.

3 of us had the steak and it was cooked perfect and delicious. The asparagus was great. The potato side dish was barely warm though tasty. The bread was okay. My daughter liked it a lot but it was likely frozen bread rolls. My daughter had spaghetti and meatballs and it was too much food for her. She could have split it. She liked it but she is easy to please as long as it's pasta.

Two people got chocolate cake and it was huge. I didn't taste it so can't comment. I had the tirimasu and it was delicious and they did a chocolate stencil of Lady and Tramp on the plate that my kids enjoyed seeing.

If you are picky about your Italian food, it might not be for you but if Olive Garden is okay, then it should be fine. I'm Irish and am not a diehard Italian food fanatic and live in the South where Olive Garden and Papa John's are your Italian options lol so I was fine with it. I would eat there again, especially at parade time, but it wasn't great enough to be a "must" do. I may try some other places first.

Stbissell
11-05-2012, 08:34 PM
It's not bad. I had chicken Parma which was comparable to Olive Garden. Nothing to write home about but not terrible. My fiancée had a steak which she said was very good. Her daughter had the Mickey mouse shaped raviolis which were good. I tried one. Dessert was very good. I had pistachio creme brûlée.

The best part was that it was our first night, we got seats on the patio and got to see the parade. It was great since it was my future step daughters first time seeing it. That made the meal. However, it was pure luck.

Not planning on going there next summer when we go but I'm not opposed to going back at some point. So many places to try before we go back.