PDA

View Full Version : Stressed over Bongo's ADR.

Gotta Love Eeyore
08-30-2012, 10:16 AM
My family wanted to try some new places this trip so I booked Bongo's Cuban Cafe for dinner the night we are going to DTD. Then I started reading reviews...some love it and some hate it. What I really want to know is what you experienced Disney peeps think.

Help!

Maggie Lizer
08-30-2012, 10:46 AM
I liked it. My DH loves it. We've been twice, and I had the Ropa Vieja both times and thought it was delicious. My husband had some kind of steak.

Tanyabeth8
08-30-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm also going to Bongo's the night I get there. I've been nervous too because I cancelled a reservation at Portabello for it and now I've been hearing all kinds of rave reviews about Portabello. I think I'm going to stick with Bongo's though because I'd like to try it. If it stinks, oh well, I'll grab a snack later.

TheRustyScupper
08-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Our Ratings of Bongo's Cuban Cafe: (4/1/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: C
. . . staff attentiveness: D
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: The food is about average, and not too far off
the going rate for pricing. However, the service leaves
far too much to be desired - bordering on rude. Better
to chose Mexican beer than mixed drinks, as the drinks
are quite disgusting. They even managed to mess up a
"Seven-and-Seven". The outdoor QS serving window is
superior to the indoors TS eatery, as the Cuban Sandwich
and Steak Sandwich are quite tasty. (We are fond of going
to a noon-matinee at the AMC movies after a sandwich from
the serving window.)

Robert P
08-30-2012, 12:47 PM
IMHO:
Indifferent service. Bland food nowhere close to even our NC Cuban restaurant fare (which isn't over the top great mind you). The walk up window is a good choice in a pinch, but we won't be going back for a sit down meal any time soon.

There are too many better places to dine at DTD.

minnie mum
08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
My family wanted to try some new places this trip so I booked Bongo's Cuban Cafe for dinner the night we are going to DTD. Then I started reading reviews...some love it and some hate it. What I really want to know is what you experienced Disney peeps think.

Help!

I think that you're overthinking the whole thing. You selected Bongo's for a reason. You will never find concensus on any restaurant. Opinion as to the quality of a restaurant is just too subjective. I will never understand why anyone (not just you, OP) gets their knickers in a twist over something as mundane as selecting a restaurant for a meal. OK, maybe if you're organizing a once in a lifetime feast.....but really, I'ts just a meal!

Go and have your dinner. If you don't like it, then pick somewhere different on your next visit.

LilyWDW
08-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Service was not great. It was slow, but not rude. Food was good but nothing outstanding. We walked in for lunch because I got lost in DTD (first trip back then) and couldn't find where we had planned to eat.

maraki527
08-30-2012, 01:09 PM
my family enjoys it. I have tried the Mojitos, Black Bean Soup, El Churassco Flank Steak wirth rice and sweet plantains. MMMM!!!

KeroKero
08-30-2012, 01:50 PM
We've booked an ADR for Bongos for our trip next week as well, and we're excited. Yes, there are bad reviews (good ones too obviously), but there are basically bad reviews for every restaurant on property. To each their own! :lmao: I like to try as many restaurants as possible and formulate my own opinions on each.

geek+nerd
08-30-2012, 05:22 PM
DH and I went in June and we were pleasantly surprised with our dinner there. We had a very attentive waitress and enjoyed the food. I had cheese flan for dessert, and it was wonderful, kind of a cross between cheesecake and regular flan (which I love and have eaten lots of). We did not have any alcoholic beverages since neither of us drinks.

I say keep your reservation. We plan on returning to this restaurant.

dansyr2514
08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
I haven't eaten there for years but did enjoy it when I was there. I agree...don't overthink it. I've never had a terrible meal in wdw! If it appeals to you give it a shot. Some of our current fav's were something I booked just to try something new.