PDA

View Full Version : O'hana dinner (how long) question

cutigress
08-30-2012, 10:10 AM
We're going to Disney for Feb 2-6 (me, DH, DD, and my parents). I've never been to 'Ohana before for dinner but have wanted to every trip... so I put my foot down and we're going this time! :)

So here's my question. I made reservations for 5 pm at 'Ohana on Mon, Feb 4. We were going to go to AK that day beforehand, and then take the bus to 'Ohana. After dinner, we want to go back to MK for the evening. This is one of the nights they'll be doing the Main St Electrical Parade at 7 pm. Would we have time to get back for that? Or would we really be pushing it? Would we have time to do the the Wishes Dessert party that night? Just trying to figure out what to do when. :)

cutigress
08-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Hmm. Now that I look at that, I don't see how that would work. I'm thinking I may switch things up unless you guys tell me otherwise.

rainynight
08-30-2012, 10:14 AM
We've only been to Ohana once and loved it so much that we have two dinners booked for our upcoming trip. We had a 5pm ressie (and our upcoming ones are at 5 as well) and was out a little after 6. There was a long line to wait when we got there a bit before opening, but everyone got seated very quickly and the food started coming right away.

You will have plenty of time to make the parade:)

Also to add...probably not a good idea to do the dessert party after Ohana cause you will be STUFFED and their bread pudding is amazing.

smiths02
08-30-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't know about the parade, but I cannot imagine doing the dessert party after a meal at Ohana just a few hours before. At that point, you are basically just paying for the view...that is A LOT of money to throw down to see Wishes, IMHO

cutigress
08-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks y'all. I'm switching things all around now. :)

budafam
08-30-2012, 11:18 AM
We were the second family to be seated at 5pm and we didn't walk out of there until 6:45. Their pace seems to be much slower than everyone else's at WDW.

Kimosabe
08-30-2012, 02:12 PM
More often than not, you would be fine on timing (5:00 res and 7:00 parade). We usually watch the parades from the front circle anyway, so it would be easy to sneak back into MK and quickly find a good parade-watching spot without having to fight the crowds back up Main Street.

With that in mind, we were at Ohana a few weeks ago and did not get seated until 30 minutes after our reservation time. It was at 8:00 rather than 5:00, so there had been time to get backed up. If they open at 5:00, then it sounds like (from other posts) that you would probably be fine. Having now eaten there, I could see where one person's experience might be vastly different than someone else's...if you are there primarily for the meat skewers (as I was!), you are somewhat at the mercy of your server(s), as they are running around the restaurant trying to make everybody happy, alternating the meats, etc., etc. Food comes out pretty early in the form of salad, appetizers, and sides, but it can take a while for all four skewer options to make their way around to you, as they come one at a time. It is now one of my favorite restaurants at WDW, and I would not want to feel rushed to get out. (To be fair, my wife and daughters liked it but were not as impressed as I was.)

We have also done the Wishes dessert party, and it is a wonderful experience, but I agree that you'd be sufficiently stuffed after Ohana and might not be ready for a buffet of desserts just two or three hours later, especially for what you'll be paying for it. We were bummed on our dessert party night because Tinkerbell did not fly that night (too much wind) and my wife had just gotten a fancy new camera and was hoping to get a close-up. I guess that gives us reason to do it again sometime!

sarmat1
08-30-2012, 02:58 PM
We had 7 pm ressies and left around 9. It really depends both on how much you want to eat (they'll keep bringing food until you tell them to stop) and whether you have kids who want to participate in the activities. My kids did the hula dancing as well as the coconut sweep race. DW and I participated in the anniversary dance.