PDA

View Full Version : What do you really think about T Rex

connchurch
08-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Made a reservation at T Rex but am having some apprehension now because I read somewhere their steaks were nasty. Thought it looked like a wide variety of choices for our family of 13. But have one really picky eater who really wanted to have a good steak dinner that night. Is our first day of arrival so need a restaurant outside the parks. Also want it to be only 1 table service. Any ideas?? Opinions of T Rex wanted.

Ginamarie
08-30-2012, 09:14 AM
We have enjoyed the food at TRex including the steak, which is a huge portion and my mom and sister have split both times we were there together. The atmosphere is loud and chaotic, but the kids liked the dinos and food has always been good.

For other non park 1 credit dinners with steak on the menu, I like the steak at Kona Cafe. Raglan Road also has good food, but I haven't tried their steak.

budafam
08-30-2012, 09:15 AM
We loved it. I thought the food was terrific but I didn't have a steak. I had the appetizer sampler... I still crave their quesadillas. They were excellent.

Julie521
08-30-2012, 09:28 AM
I have personally never gone, but I have a friend who is in Disney right now. We actually check in to the same resort on sunday. He texted me last night and said do not do T-Rex. They waited 90 minutes for their appetizers, ended up having to ask where their food was, and when it came out it was cold and over-cooked. Now of course like any restaurant this could of just been a bad night, but him and myself are servers, so we know how to look passed things that are out of the server/restaurant's control. He had a terrible experience.

sephorachick
08-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Made a reservation at T Rex but am having some apprehension now because I read somewhere their steaks were nasty. Thought it looked like a wide variety of choices for our family of 13. But have one really picky eater who really wanted to have a good steak dinner that night. Is our first day of arrival so need a restaurant outside the parks. Also want it to be only 1 table service. Any ideas?? Opinions of T Rex wanted.

I loved it! here is a review I did on it recently :)

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com/2012/07/t-rex-downtown-disney-review.html

mickey24
08-30-2012, 09:45 AM
It's all about the experience. Theming is awesome, my son loves it. Food is ok. We go in with the expectation of thinking its cool... not with the expectation that the food will be awesome so it depends on what you are looking for.

jessc79
08-30-2012, 09:47 AM
The experience was great. The food was ok. It was of the same quality as rainforest cafe.

kathie859
08-30-2012, 09:51 AM
The food was okay. I found the themeing---especially the noise level/flashing lights to be annoying. Of course, I'm also the one nut who thinks the whole WCC chaos is just too much during a meal:rotfl2: Obviously, I prefer a calmer mealtime experience.

BEASLYBOO
08-30-2012, 10:09 AM
We've eaten there twice! Both times the service was good and the food surprizingly tasty. It's part of the same chain as Rainforest but I think the food at T-Rex is much better.

The portions follow the theme, huge! Their chicken is delicious and the Pot Pie (can easily feed 3) has huge chunks of that delicious white meat rotiserrie chicken in it. The ribs, gigantic and very tender. We always start with the cheese dip, it comes with fresh multi colored tortilla chips. We have a few picky friends in our bunch as well, T-Rex wait staff made sure that the mahi and the steak came plain grilled, and both were perfectly cooked and came as ordered.

It's got the dinosaur theme, it can be a bit loud at times but it's a fun decor and it's worth experiencing!

Pollyanna Poppins
08-30-2012, 11:51 AM
We really enjoyed T-Rex on both of our trips. My kids actually prefer the Mojo Bones (ribs) at RainForest Cafe but really enjoy the atmosphere at T-Rex. I think that's really more what these two are about versus the actual food. I will say I'm a pretty picky eater and enjoyed the eggplant bruschetta that comes with the appetizer trio. We've never ordered steak at either of these so I can't comment on the quality. We had excellent service both times but we typically always visit in the off season.

wdwpirates
08-30-2012, 12:13 PM
DH and I really like T-Rex. We've tried the appetizer sampler, nachos, fried shrimp, ribs and rotisserie chicken....not all at once though!! The food has always been quite good. Large portions for your money, too.

The ice cave is our favorite area to be seated in. It seems that the tables are more spread out in there. I find in the main dining rooms that the tables tend to be right on top of one another. That doesn't make for a pleasant dining experience!

All in all it's a fun place with tasty food. Worth a trip at least once!

Dalamara
08-30-2012, 12:15 PM
I LOVE it!!! I went twice on my last vaca just a few months ago. The first was at regular dinner time, and the server was AMAZING... The second time was a very late dinner (like 11pm) and the server was AWFUL :confused3. However, that doesn't make me change my mind about the overall experience. The food was great, and you get huuuuge portions. I particularly enjoyed the Footprints Flatbread, and the Layers of the Earth Lasagna. Yes it is a loud restaurant, but the atmosphere is upbeat and cheerful, and oh so much fun!! I have already made ADRs for our next trip. I think it's a must do! :thumbsup2

shannonstar
08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
The food is good, not wow over the top, but good. My son absolutely loves the theming, so we go.
I have found plenty on the menu that appeals to me, so we will continue to go back. This time, we are hoping to sit in the ice cave. I do sometimes feel like the dinos are watching me eat.

jamuth
08-30-2012, 05:34 PM
It was terrible. Kids had the standard chicken nuggets that were unimpressive and expensive. The positive was the theming. I would go once and that is it. We sat in the middle area that was an ice cave. Kids didn't like it. It was hard to see everything.

Luvamouse
08-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Crazy, loud, can be dark, large portions- bruschetta our favorite! We've had excellent waiters both times and this is NOT Victoria and Alberts. Go to have a good meal and a great time. Not a romantic dinner with tuxedoed waiters. If your children can have a sensory overload, it might not be the best place. We love the ice cave, such a cool (no pun intended) experience.

One warning. Do not allow your children to leave you before the bill is paid to go "look in the gift shop". Your 16 and 11 year olds may just end up in Build-A-Dino and have it nearly done by the time you arrive if they are very efficient shoppers... Minnie the Pterodactyl and then last year Diesel the Triceratops have made the long ride home from FL to RI.

meggiebeth
08-30-2012, 07:07 PM
What exactly happens in TRex? I have heard there is a meteor shower but what exactly is this?
My brother will be 9 when we go. He is very keen to go and see the theming. Is TRex better than Rainforest Cafe?

jessc79
08-30-2012, 11:17 PM
What exactly happens in TRex? I have heard there is a meteor shower but what exactly is this?
My brother will be 9 when we go. He is very keen to go and see the theming. Is TRex better than Rainforest Cafe?

I think it's similar to RF cafe. Lights, mood, etc. my 9 year old son still talks about it. I know he wants to go back but the food is so - meh - that I'm not sure I want to drop 100+ on it.

I don't know how to explain the meteor shower but its pretty neat. I liked the overall experience and how happy is made DS

Ro Z
08-30-2012, 11:32 PM
DH gets the trio. I think it is shrimp, steak and chicken. Not cheap but that is his go to meal. He really likes it!!. I am usually good with an app. Nachos, mozz or the app trio. But I have had the chix fried steak. Yum and The usual sammies. And pizza. All good. We like it and will be there again in Nov!!

Ro Z
08-30-2012, 11:38 PM
IMO Trex is better than RFC only because it is more updated. RFC looks old in comparison. We still go to RFC. Food is pretty much the same. But if you are looking for theming. TRex is better.

taaren
08-31-2012, 01:26 AM
Crazy, loud, can be dark, large portions- bruschetta our favorite! We've had excellent waiters both times and this is NOT Victoria and Alberts. Go to have a good meal and a great time. Not a romantic dinner with tuxedoed waiters. If your children can have a sensory overload, it might not be the best place. We love the ice cave, such a cool (no pun intended) experience.

One warning. Do not allow your children to leave you before the bill is paid to go "look in the gift shop". Your 16 and 11 year olds may just end up in Build-A-Dino and have it nearly done by the time you arrive if they are very efficient shoppers... Minnie the Pterodactyl and then last year Diesel the Triceratops have made the long ride home from FL to RI.
Thanks for the warning. This is what I'm afraid of with DS6 and my friend's DS5. We're not expecting spectacular food, though I'm hoping for some wraps like RFC has and DS likes the popcorn chicken, so :confused3, just going to enjoy a unique dining experience. Don't you have to go through the gift shop to get into and out of the restaurant? We have a difficult time leaving RFC in Anaheim without at least some cups ...

iheartmickey1111
08-31-2012, 01:42 AM
I love it! I have eaten there twice- dont remember what the first time, but last time I had a huge amazing yummy burger. I love the atmosphere too. I'll definitely be eating there again in Sept for my solo trip- no kids needed to talk me into eating there!

amycakes
09-01-2012, 12:05 AM
We just got back and we enjoyed our experience. We ordered the ribs and my son ordered the shrimp. The food came promptly and was hot and tasty.

My son and daughter loved sitting in the ice cave. There is a lot going on in the restaurant with the lighting, sounds and movement of the dinos so your kids have to like that sort of thing.

We ordered the extinction dessert and my son loved the volcano in the middle (dry ice).

Our server was great and we told him so..... my kids order a lot on the side such as sauces, coleslaw etc and all their requests were met and all drinks were refilled.

My son loves geology so he cracked a geode from the shop.

We would go again :)

hotcarib
09-01-2012, 12:26 AM
If you like:
Rainforest Cafe
Chili's
Red Lobster
Friday's
then you'll be fine with T. Rex
DH LOVES!!!!!!!!!!!!it and I can never find anything I like let alone love but after a cotton-tini (YUM!!!!) I can eat a salad and some of his appetizers and be happy.
Also, it's more an experience than a food haven. It's loud, but really the animatronics are so special kids and adults appreciate them!

wdwfan1
09-01-2012, 09:37 AM
The hamburgers were good but I dont know about steak. For 1 credit outside the parks you might try Captains Grill at the Yacht Club. It isnt the Yachtmans Steak House, but the steak was good.

DisneyMomto3Boys
09-01-2012, 09:44 AM
2 trips ago we decided to stay at a non Disney resort on property (waldord astoria) and did not book any meals. We arrived at DTD around 5 or 5:30 pm, just planning to do Earl of Sandwich or WPE, and Trex (which had been completely booked) was magically wide open! We REALLY liked it. The prices weren't too bad (similar to the Rainforest Cafe) and the theming was super de duper cute! We also thought the food was pretty good; better than the RFCafe in my opinion).

scojos
09-01-2012, 10:38 AM
found this to show my asd son... maybe will help someone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2HhzldLn9I

Tistal
09-01-2012, 11:15 AM
If you're going for the theme you'll love it.

If you're going for the food, and have an experience like us, you'll hate it. The food was overcooked and bland. We walked out asking ourselves how much we paid for that

Disneylover99
09-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Ate at T Rex this week.

I ordered the steak. It was okay, but kind of chewy.

Mind you, I had eaten super delicious steak at San Angel the day before and melt in your mouth tender steak from Le Cellier the day before that. So, kind of an unfair comparison I guess.

All in all, We won't go back to T Rex. The food was okay. The service was good. But it was just too loud for my family. Which, I knew it would be, but we still wanted to try it.

Gorechick
09-01-2012, 03:22 PM
We had a really good meal there 2 weeks ago. Portions were huge, service was good, wasn't more loud than I expected it to be.

JimS4210
09-01-2012, 04:01 PM
We ate there this past May and we were pleasantly surprised with the food. We took our 5 year old grandson who is a dinosaur nut. We figured the theming would be great (which it was), but the food was better than we expected. We started off with an appetizer sampler which was huge. It came with quesadillas, ribs, wings and maybe something else - don't remember. I had the lasagna which I thought was really good and the portions were huge.

The biggest drawback was the noise. It got really noisy during the meteor shower and the animals went crazy. I remember we ate right next to a big wooly mammoth.

Overall, it was a good meal, not great, but worth the trip at least once, especially if you have a little kid or two...

Jim

Art 1
09-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Been there twice. Will never eat there again. It's as bad as Rainforest Cafe.

sPaRkLeSpAz
09-01-2012, 05:15 PM
T-rex is really cool! The food isn't as great as the cool atmosphere in my opinion though.

jwmoss
09-01-2012, 05:25 PM
We went this past December and would not recommend it to anyone. The food was sub-par at best and you couldn't hear yourself think it was so loud. The kids thought it cool at first, but after 2 hours of constant loud noise and annoying light flashes, we were all really glad when the check came.

BuzzLiteyear
09-02-2012, 10:44 AM

We ate at T-REX about 2 weeks ago. I had the steak and it was fine. Not the best I've ever had, but it was good. I think my wife had the chicken / ribs and they were very good (and filling).

ZoeisMommy
09-02-2012, 10:49 AM
We don't really go for the food...its more for the experience and atmosphere. What we do is order the countdown to extinction and all share the dessert (it fed 8 people) its the best route I think :-)

wdw&sonny
09-02-2012, 11:10 AM
If you like:
Rainforest Cafe
Chili's
Red Lobster
Friday's
then you'll be fine with T. Rex

:thumbsup2 But you don't go to those restaurants for steak. If you want steak, go to a steakhouse.

It's like any other themed restaurant or dinner show...you shouldn't expect gourmet food. Expect an interesting, unique dining environment and hope you get a decent meal.

We had the burgers and quesadillas and thought they were better than expected... Better than Friday's burgers.

JimS4210
09-02-2012, 11:24 AM
:thumbsup2 But you don't go to those restaurants for steak. If you want steak, go to a steakhouse.

It's like any other themed restaurant or dinner show...you shouldn't expect gourmet food. Expect an interesting, unique dining environment and hope you get a decent meal.

We had the burgers and quesadillas and thought they were better than expected... Better than Friday's burgers.

Exactly! It is what it is... A themed restaurant at WDW that serves decent, not great food. Personally, I wouldn't go to a place like T-Rex and order a steak, I'd stick with something like burgers or pasta.

It's not Shula's or even Le Cellier and doesn't try to be. The food isn't bad, but no, they don't have a melt in your mouth Filet Mignon. WDW does have good steaks or Seafood if that's what you're looking for, but Shula's or Narcoosee"s doesn't have dinosaurs...

Jim

flamom
09-02-2012, 12:44 PM
when we had dinner at T-Rex in June Ds and I had the ribs and enjoyed them very much. I'd definately eat there again.

scojos
09-02-2012, 04:39 PM
, but Shula's or Narcoosee"s doesn't have dinosaurs...

Jim

it does when im there :rotfl:

North of Mouse
09-02-2012, 07:45 PM
If you want to go for the atmosphere/experience, then go, if you are just thinking the food is great - then you might want to think twice. But actually, everyone has an opinion, and only you can tell what yours will be, after you go ;)

We hated the flashing lights, plus our food was only very so-so. We didn't find the portions that large as half of our platters were french fries, which we didn't eat much of. Again, we all have opinions, only yours count for you :) We have no plans to go back though.

makingplans4WDW
09-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the post, OP. My family has an ADR for T-Rex in November. It's fun to hear the opinions out there and looking forward to making my own.

Ro Z
09-02-2012, 09:27 PM
it does when im there :rotfl:

Thats funny:goodvibes

canopynut66
09-02-2012, 09:33 PM
T Rex is owned by same chain as rain Forest and the food at RF is great. maybe was a bad nite that someone got a tought one had that happen to me at Konas and I love Konas steaks as a rule but in January had a tought one and then brought another and it was worse... my sister was there as well and had same kind of steak and hers was great??? will go back this trip. the manager there was rude and condensending but he will be gone more than likely anyhow. have not been to T Rex but is not far off the menu or RF just different names to fit the themes

ToGreen78
09-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I LOVE IT!!!! DH and I have been 3-4x and have never had a bad experience. If your expecting a 5 star restaurant than you'll be disappointed!!! It's a fun place to eat.

mouseketeermama
09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
We found it to be pretty good, better than expected. We had the app tower thing, very good! The eggplant brushetta was so delicious! I had a burger and it was massive but pretty much like any other chain burger out there. If I would have known it was so big, my husband and I would have shared. We ended up doing the Chocolate Extinction for dessert and it was super good! So impressive for the little ones. If we go again, I will skip the main dish and just do apps and dessert, it is more than enough food.

davedmaine
09-03-2012, 08:14 PM
90 minutes? I bet you've told your friend a million times not to exaggerate..

I have personally never gone, but I have a friend who is in Disney right now. We actually check in to the same resort on sunday. He texted me last night and said do not do T-Rex. They waited 90 minutes for their appetizers, ended up having to ask where their food was, and when it came out it was cold and over-cooked. Now of course like any restaurant this could of just been a bad night, but him and myself are servers, so we know how to look passed things that are out of the server/restaurant's control. He had a terrible experience.

Ro Z
09-03-2012, 08:38 PM
90 minutes? I bet you've told your friend a million times not to exaggerate..

WHAT!!! :scared1:Who waits 90 minutes for anything.:confused: I would have been looonggggg gone 70 minutes ago! And happily eating at Paradiso. Lol!
We have been to T-rex lots of times and we really enjoy it!:)

elaine amj
09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
We have enjoyed the food at TRex including the steak, which is a huge portion and my mom and sister have split both times we were there together. The atmosphere is loud and chaotic, but the kids liked the dinos and food has always been good.

We weren't allowed to split of DDP.

We were there last week and had been looking forward to a fun meal. When we got there, we were told our TA messed up our ressies and it was for a different date (even though I double checked with her just before we left *sigh*). No problems, we were told to wait and they would accommodate us. My kids made a beeline for the dig area where they had a lot of fun digging for fossils. Less than 10 mins later, they called us and I had to drag them out kicking and screaming (ok - a bit of an exaggeration LOL). We were seated right outside the ice cave - very good seats where we could see everything and right beneath the meteor showed (which I found rather unimpressive to be honest). We didn't want to overeat so decided to split 2 meals for 2 TS credits. Our waitress took our order and went off. While waiting, wewandered the restaurant taking pics of the dinos. My DD is rather apprehensive with dinos (but is much better than she used to be!) so she stayed at a distance.

At this time the waitress came back and said there was no way we could share meals on the DDP at all. We asked for a manager and were told the same thing. No way, no how. We discussed it and decided to leave. My DS was a bit unhappy with our decision but after settling at Cooke's of Dublin enjoying a band and some delicious chicken strips, he forgave us and didn't ask to return to TRex.

I'm glad we left. It was a fun place but we had other meals planned and didn't want to spend all 4 TS credits there. By the way...we ate at 14 TS places in 12 days and had not a whit of problems anywhere else sharing our credits. All other restaurants were completely gracious, some splitting our meals for us. At Whispering Canyon Cafe, the kids had the skillet while DH and I shared a steak (which they split for us). During a refill of the skillet, our waitress even gave DH some ribs and I some corn to "hold for the kids". She was so gracious - she got a nice tip there!

I thought the theming was better mostly because it's interesting and different.