PDA

View Full Version : Taking snacks/dessert to enjoy later

kaguilbeau
08-29-2012, 07:07 PM
In reading some of the dining reviews, I've notice some people say that they bring a dessert (cupcake, muffin, cheesecake, etc) back to the resort to save for later.

My question is: HOW? I did see that some of these came in a plastic hinged type container. But some of them are served on small paper plates. Do they ask for it to be put in a to go container? And if you are not going straight back to the room, do you just put it in your backpack or purse?

We'll be using Disney transportation and won't have a rental car. Just trying to imagine the logistics of bringing the food back to the room.

CajunMomof3
08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
First off, how are things in your area of LA? Being a Cajun girl with family in NO, I am on edge today...

We have gotten desserts to go from TS restaurants and taken them back to the hotel pretty much immediately. We have also gotten snaks "to go." The only ones that I am remembering for sure were from the Germany carmel shop, the candy store on Hollywood BLVD in HS (these were in little paper bags that could go into the backpack), and food court at POR.

kaguilbeau
08-29-2012, 07:54 PM
thanks for the feedback. The one I questioned the most was shown in a picture served on a paper plate. I guess they could've requested a to-go container.

We are just to the west of where the eye is. It's been windy and light rain all day. It's just so slow moving. The footage I'm seeing from N.O., etc looks alot worse than what we've gotten.

purple figment
08-29-2012, 08:01 PM
At most TS restaurants, if you're too full for your dessert, it can be boxed up by your server.

CS places often have pre-packaged desserts.

If the food is on paper plates, some places might have boxes, but quite often you'll have to improvise. They might be able to provide another plate or paper bowl. We carry ziploc bags as well.

Most of the time we have dinner late so we head back to the room afterwards. You could also store things in a locker.

nanienamou
08-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Last year, the Boulangerie Patisserie in France gave us our pastries to go, in a cardboard box, because we wanted to have them the next morning.:)

CajunMomof3
08-29-2012, 10:04 PM
We are just to the west of where the eye is. It's been windy and light rain all day. It's just so slow moving. The footage I'm seeing from N.O., etc looks alot worse than what we've gotten.

Glad all is well your way. Hope that things stay calm for you.

catne
08-29-2012, 10:20 PM
if you do plan on taking pastries back to room for next-day breakfast, I suggest packing several large zip-lock bags to put the to-go boxes in when you get back to the room. Most of the to-go boxes we've received at WDW were not air-tight so the pastries go stale overnight. Popping them into ziplock bags helped keep them fresh :thumbsup2

EmpressBubbles
08-29-2012, 11:47 PM
At counter service restaurants, if I know up front I won't be able to eat a dessert, I often ask for something from the kid's menu. Usually, the desserts from the kid's menu are more portable. For example: prepackaged cookies, grapes or apple slices.
I also agree with all the PPs about the ziplocs. I try to keep a couple of sandwich baggies in my waist pack in case there is something I decide I want to keep for later! ;)

Pollyanna Poppins
08-30-2012, 12:02 PM
I also love ziplocs and carry them in my backpack every trip. Most places will give you some sort of to go box or bag. The really messy things are not worth fooling with unless you're going straight back to your room. We are on the Gulf and this storm has been a breeze. I've got relatives in Mobile and surrounding areas that have said the same. I hope everyone the Ms and New Orleans way have seen Isaac fizzle right on out as well.

daizieduck
08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks for posting about zip loc bags for snacks. Great tip! :thumbsup2 I will bring some when we go in 50 days! :hyper:

wdwpirates
08-30-2012, 12:32 PM
I've never had any trouble getting a to-go container at either CS or TS spots. They will even provide you with a bag to carry it in if you request one. We take pastry back to the hotel from Main Street Bakery all the time.

Great tip on the zip locks!! I'll have to bring a few larger ones on our next trip!

Kimosabe
08-30-2012, 01:32 PM
On our last trip, I knew we were heading to Starring Rolls Cafe in DHS for cupcakes that would be eaten later -- they close early, we had lunch and early dinner ADRs, and I knew we would be miserable if we tried to eat them immediately. So...before the trip, we bought a couple of hard plastic single cupcake containers to avoid the cupcakes' getting squished in my backpack. Turns out that these cupcakes would not fit in the containers! The "to go" option was a paper bag, so we took it and I tried to keep the bag near the top of my backpack to avoid smooshing them. We got them back to our resort later that night, and they were still quite tasty, but not quite as perfectly-formed as before. Ziplocs are great for emergencies, but depending on what you're trying to protect and the timeframe before returning to your resort, you might consider packing two or three little tupperware/rubbermaid style containers. There are so many versions (including disposable ones) available these days that you could find something sufficiently lightweight but sturdy enough to protect the food for later.

disnut8
08-30-2012, 05:55 PM
In addition to the ziploc bags, we carry a plastic grocery bag with us. Then we just put the pastries (or whatever) in there and carry like that back to the resort. That's what we do almost every night when leaving Epcot and my husband sees a big old bear claw. We don't have to shove it into a backpack and hope it doesn't get smushed.

scojos
08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
slightly:offtopic:, but if u want a dessert for bfast explain this at the TS and they can provide you with options not on the menu, i took many fruit salad/yogurts for bfast, as me and 1 of the kids would share, one 1 occasion after the skillet at wcc, no one had room for dessert so they packed me 5 fruit salads...holy cow i could have feed 30 with all that fruit!!!!

just saying:lmao:

hokie98
08-30-2012, 06:17 PM
We would get fruit/parfait/etc as our CS dessert too and take it back to the room for breakfast the next AM too!

TwoAtDisney
08-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Starring Rolls Cupcakes - If getting several, the bag they provide does not allow the CC boxes to lay flat, so it's hard to carry. Therefore, we always pack 2 flat-bottom paper grocery bags & take them with us when going to HS. DDP is a lot of food for us & we don't eat snacks each day. So the last day we spend them all on SR CCs & POR Magic Cookie Bars. We stay offsite after our Disney stay, so we eat them then. Usually we still have some leftover, so we pack them in ziplocks & take them home in our checked bags, protected between soft clothes - yum!

WCC - Not only will they let you take out your dessert, they will let you take out whatever is left in your skillet - if you ask.

Baggies - To prevent bugs in our room, we always secure all food in our fridge or in zipped tight baggies.

MinnieLee
08-31-2012, 04:44 AM
We always stop at the Patassiere in France and bring home choc. croissants for the next morning (10 seconds in the microwave - delicious), something for that night and a cheese platter. They pack everything in the white cardboard bakery boxes so no problem carrying it back.

MK bakery will pack in the clear, plastic "clamshells".