PDA

View Full Version : Late Lunch before a flight out- EPCOT resorts

QueenElinor
08-27-2012, 05:56 AM
I need advice for a late lunch (around 1:30-2 pm) on Dec. 19. We're flying out at 6pm and will probably be at DHS that morning (but I don't know for sure, so I don't want to plan for there). I have ressies at the Captain's Grille, but am not overly excited about it. It doesn't look like there are any other places that will take an ADR at that time.

What are my options for a TS restaurant at that time of day around the BW, S&D and YC/BC- and how likely are they to be crowded? I liked the idea of an ADR just to be sure we stay on schedule for our flight. We will be departing from the YC.

Thanks in advance!

cluvsdisney
08-27-2012, 06:43 AM
It's usually pretty easy to get a table at ESPN on a weekday afternoon.

MinnieGirl33
08-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Agree with ESPN but if you want a place that takes ADR's to be safe, the walk from UK/Canada/France to YC/BC isn't bad through the International Gateway.

If you will have a car, House of Blues might be a good option as well.

QueenElinor
08-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Thank you for the ideas, but we are soooooo not sports fans! My family would rebel if I tried to get them to go to ESPN.

We plan to go to House of Blues earlier in the week. :)

The reason why I was trying to stick to the immediate vicinity of our resort (YC) is that I just don't know where we'll be off to that morning. So I figured, for sure we will be coming back to the hotel- but now that you mention it, there's no reason to do that since we have our own car. I certainly am not going to let the kids off on their own (they are teens/young adults) before a flight, that's for sure!

So, let me rephrase this- if you could have a nice departure lunch ANYWHERE outside a park- where would it be?

AlohaAnnie
08-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank you for the ideas, but we are soooooo not sports fans! My family would rebel if I tried to get them to go to ESPN.

We plan to go to House of Blues earlier in the week. :)

The reason why I was trying to stick to the immediate vicinity of our resort (YC) is that I just don't know where we'll be off to that morning. So I figured, for sure we will be coming back to the hotel- but now that you mention it, there's no reason to do that since we have our own car. I certainly am not going to let the kids off on their own (they are teens/young adults) before a flight, that's for sure!

So, let me rephrase this- if you could have a nice departure lunch ANYWHERE outside a park- where would it be?

We would probably do Wolfgang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney. You never know when you have last minute shopping to do.

Or Captain's Grille, it is located at the Yacht Club.

:goodvibes

Quin
08-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Since you have a car, you can and should check out of your resort before heading anywhere. Frankly, on my departure day I prefer a late breakfast - Boma for choice. If you would rather do lunch, I think your 3 best options are all on the monorail loop: Kona, GF Cafe, or The Wave. WCC only if the 'antics' would appeal to the kids and would not drive the adults crazy.

Even if you stay with lunch, you might want to move that lunch time up a little. You have a 6 pm flight. It's the last week before Christmas so the airport is going to be crowded. As the afternoon wears on you will also have local rush hour traffic to contend with. You may lose a little time returning the rental car. And you'll need to stop at a gas station. Throw in a little bad weather, or some road construction, and you could miss that flight. ME picks people up 3 hours before their flight for a good reason. You want to plan on being done and in the car by 3 pm at the very latest. I wouldn't risk a 2 pm ADR.

QueenElinor
08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
We would probably do Wolfgang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney. You never know when you have last minute shopping to do.

Or Captain's Grille, it is located at the Yacht Club.

:goodvibes

I actually had my eye on Wolfgang Puck for dinner- in the Denver International Airport! :) But there's a little French bistro there I'm happy to switch to if we eat at the WPE in DTD.

Since you have a car, you can and should check out of your resort before heading anywhere. Frankly, on my departure day I prefer a late breakfast - Boma for choice. If you would rather do lunch, I think your 3 best options are all on the monorail loop: Kona, GF Cafe, or The Wave. WCC only if the 'antics' would appeal to the kids and would not drive the adults crazy. I like the idea of seeing one of the other resorts. We have a dinner ressie for GF Cafe, but it doesn't work that well with our schedule, so this is a great time to reschedule it. We are choosing lunch over bkfst since I'm never sure how the connections will go in Denver in December! We may not eat any more real food that day until we get home at 11pm mountain time.

Even if you stay with lunch, you might want to move that lunch time up a little. You have a 6 pm flight. It's the last week before Christmas so the airport is going to be crowded. As the afternoon wears on you will also have local rush hour traffic to contend with. You may lose a little time returning the rental car. And you'll need to stop at a gas station. Throw in a little bad weather, or some road construction, and you could miss that flight. ME picks people up 3 hours before their flight for a good reason. You want to plan on being done and in the car by 3 pm at the very latest. I wouldn't risk a 2 pm ADR.The flight is actually later than six, and the 2pm time is the absolute latest- we'll probably go earlier- I just hate hanging around in airports. I seem to do it a lot, though :). We don't have any luggage to check and always preprint our boarding passes. We've traveled a lot so I'm pretty much in tune of what we're up against. My biggest concern is sleeping in DIA!

PamelaKay
08-27-2012, 03:02 PM
T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe if you want someplace loud and fun. I thought the food was ok at both.

Love the Earl of Sandwich idea and really, if you wanted, you could get sandwiches to go and take with you on your flight.

I have not tried it yet, but I read good things about Trails End at Fort Wilderness. I have also read good reviews of the Turf Club at Saratoga Springs resort. It is on my list to try.

I took my parents to lunch at GF Cafe and they loved it.

Itinkso
08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
There's a Macaroni Grill in the airport if you wanted to maximize your time in the parks on the last day and still ensure that you can drop off the car in plenty of time.
But, I would consider The Wave or GFC. For lunch GFC offers an Angus burger with lobster!

Ro Z
08-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Big River is good and right at the BW. There were only 2 other tables the last time we went for lunch (march). So should be able to get in. Haven't been to Capt Grille for lunch in a long time but we thought it was good the last time. Our last 2 trips we ate at Paradiso for our last lunch. For our 1st lunch last time we ate at Raglan Road. Both very good!

QueenElinor
08-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions-

After all the good points that were brought up I decided to change my mind about eating in the EPCOT resort area and reschedule that GF Cafe visit for lunch the day of our departure, and in its original timeslot on the preceding Friday night I've got us scheduled for Jiko.

So now we'll get to visit two more deluxe resorts- which I really wanted to do to check out the decorations during the holidays.

Thanks again, I'm very glad I asked about this!