PDA

View Full Version : List of rules for the kids

Aurora's Mommy
08-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Leaving in 10 days! Have a 10 & 13 year old, and want to sit down with them and go over "The Rules." Would appreciate some input:

(1) Take emergencies seriously! Come immediately back to the cabin to meet up with family & grab life jacket. In case of fire, do not come back to the cabin, follow the crews instructions [would especially appreciate feedback on this one, not entirely sure this is correct]

(2) When in an upright position, feet on deck! No standing on railings, furniture, etc.

(3) Do not invite anyone into our cabin.

(4) Do not go into anyone's cabin.

(5) No running and/or yelling in the halls (and not just during quiet hours).

(6) Remember your pleases and thank yous.

(7) If you are not with us, you must be with the kids activities, in the cabin, or have texted us with your specific location.

What have I missed?

jdb in AZ
08-15-2012, 11:10 AM
In case of emergency you meet at the muster station.

If you're in your state room when there's an emergency you grab your life jackets and go. Otherwise you could drown trying to reach the life jackets in your room. The ship has extra life jackets in strategic locations.

outahere
08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
You pretty much covered it. I would add:

Use hand sanitizer or wash your hands often.

A few cruises back (on the Magic) our DS contracted norovirus from something he touched in Ocean Quest - NOT a pleasant cruise.

NHdisneylover
08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Good list:thumbsup2

I do not know if this a an across the board change or not and have not sailed Disney since the Costa Concordia disaster, but on other lines we have been told ever since then that we are not to go back to cabins and fetch life jackets in emergencies--only bring it with you if you happen to be in the cabin when the alarm sounds--otherwise go directly to your muster station. I would tell them either might be possible and you will confirm at muster drill:thumbsup2

My kids are not allowed to use elevators except on formal night because DD wears heels. I do not think mine would "play" in them, but I hate when other kids/teens do and I figure the kids are young and healthy and can go on stairs and make up for some of that ice cream they are eating and leave the elevators for those with wheel chairs and strollers :goodvibes

After dinner/show they can only be at a family event, an event for their club or the room. No aimless wandering, or hanging out with friends while not in the clubs at night time.

pixarmom
08-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Good list!

This is probably too much, but our two older boys are 12 and 13 and we required them to stay together on the Dream last year when they were not with us. We're on the Wonder at the end of this month, and I think we might feel differently on a smaller ship / longer cruise. I'd appreciate any advice from more experienced cruisers - did you feel differently about giving your kids more freedom on the Dream vs. the Wonder?

But we were very definite about knowing their location at all times. This wasn't much of an issue because we would all look at the navigator, create a plan and know where we were going to meet next. But if they wanted to change plans, they had to text/call us on the wave phones first and get permission before going somewhere else.

Our kids also use the stairs - and so do we!

Gina
08-15-2012, 11:25 AM
This is the list I use for my DS. It has been altered and updated over the years as he has gotten older (he is 16 now) but the basics stay the same. Hope this helps. :)

CRUISE RULES
None of these are optional

You are not to enter any cabin without me. Ever.

No one is to enter our cabin except you.

If you are in our cabin alone, hang the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door. Remember to remove it when you leave.

You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by me or a CM. You are not to drink anything that you have let out of your sight.

If you change locations from where you last said you were going to be, you need to either swing by the stateroom and write it on the white board (including the time), or use a house phone somewhere and leave a message in our stateroom voicemail box.

Do not hang out, horse around or run in the stairwells, hallways or elevators.

Your curfew will be decided on each day. It will vary depending on the teen activities that are planned, and what time we need to start the next day.

Your KTTW card is tied to my credit card even though you have your own funds on there. It is up to you to check your balance daily. If you lose your KTTW card, notify Guest Services immediately.

Our dining time for dinner is 8pm, so you will need to make sure you allow yourself enough time to finish whatever you’re doing and head back to the cabin with enough time to get yourself ready and either leave with me at 7:45or meet me at the dining room entrance by 7:45 (or earlier if we’re taking pictures, which I will let you know about ahead of time.)

If you order room service, don’t forget to tip them. You know where the tip money is. Also don’t forget to gather up any dishes/silverware/napkins/etc. as neatly as possible for the room steward.

If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it by more than 15 minutes, then you will spend the rest of that day with me or in the cabin.

I expect you to be the Southern gentleman you have been raised to be, using please, thank you, and excuse me at all times. Hold the doors for people, allow people to get off of the elevator before you step on. Being on vacation is never an excuse for leaving manners at home.

Handwashing is a must!! If unable to wash your hands with soap and water, you will always have hand sanitizer available. USE IT!

No going to the outside areas of the upper deck at night.

Do not leave the stateroom a mess. The room steward has enough to do!
Keep all of your valuables in the cabin safe.

Always, always treat the ship crew members with respect, every last one of them. You know how they always go out of their way to make our cruises special and happy – go out of your way to smile and say “hello”.

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it. :rolleyes1

MagicRat
08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
We have had two successful Dream cruises with our DS (now 10) and DD (now 12) both pretty much being able to do what they want to do during the day. Aside from what you mentioned, two things I have found helped- I was very specific with them and told them it is ok for your to go by yourself, but if you are not where I tell you to be at x time, that's it for you going by yourself. I let them know that this was no option and if they weren't where they were supposed to be, the fun was over. Also, my wife an I carried the two wave phones and did not give one to the children. There are house phones all over the ship that they can call you from and I didn't feel like giving them a $250 phone to lose. Have a great time!

DakotaDisneyLover
08-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Great list! I'm hoping some 'slack' parents read this and realize they should have rules for their kids to follow on the ship ;)

CarolAnnC
08-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Just wanted to tell Gina that I love her list! The last item made me LOL. :rotfl:

moebear
08-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Wow, great tips. Our daughters will be 11 and 12 when we cruise in March/2013. Our last cruise was a couple of years ago - so them wandering by themselves was never an issue. This will be new territory! DH and I are pretty strict about what they can and cannot do by themselves. As far as i am concerned, you mess up a rule - privileges are gone. Subbing to this thread!

JKSWonder
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
This is the list I use for my DS. It has been altered and updated over the years as he has gotten older (he is 16 now) but the basics stay the same. Hope this helps. :)

CRUISE RULES

If you are in our cabin alone, hang the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door. Remember to remove it when you leave.

You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by me or a CM. You are not to drink anything that you have let out of your sight.

If you change locations from where you last said you were going to be, you need to either swing by the stateroom and write it on the white board (including the time), or use a house phone somewhere and leave a message in our stateroom voicemail box.

Your curfew will be decided on each day. It will vary depending on the teen activities that are planned, and what time we need to start the next day.

Your KTTW card is tied to my credit card even though you have your own funds on there. It is up to you to check your balance daily. If you lose your KTTW card, notify Guest Services immediately.

Our dining time for dinner is 8pm, so you will need to make sure you allow yourself enough time to finish whatever you’re doing and head back to the cabin with enough time to get yourself ready and either leave with me at 7:45or meet me at the dining room entrance by 7:45 (or earlier if we’re taking pictures, which I will let you know about ahead of time.)

If you order room service, don’t forget to tip them. You know where the tip money is. Also don’t forget to gather up any dishes/silverware/napkins/etc. as neatly as possible for the room steward.

If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it by more than 15 minutes, then you will spend the rest of that day with me or in the cabin.

I expect you to be the Southern gentleman you have been raised to be, using please, thank you, and excuse me at all times. Hold the doors for people, allow people to get off of the elevator before you step on. Being on vacation is never an excuse for leaving manners at home.

Handwashing is a must!! If unable to wash your hands with soap and water, you will always have hand sanitizer available. USE IT!

Always, always treat the ship crew members with respect, every last one of them. You know how they always go out of their way to make our cruises special and happy – go out of your way to smile and say “hello”.

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it. :rolleyes1

This is terrific. Now that my daughter is a "tween" and can leave her club without notifying me, this is exactly the sort of stuff I want her to know.

I personally don't want her roaming the ship. Not yet. So for now, at least for her age, I am adding things like "I will pick you up at club at our agreed upon time. You are not to leave the club for any reason without notifying me first either ahead of time (for a planned club activity) or via the wave phone."

Gina
08-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Just wanted to tell Gina that I love her list! The last item made me LOL. :rotfl:

LOL, thanks! Luckily, my DS has always behaved himself, but I'm a big believer in letting kids know exactly what is expected of them and the consequences if they veer off that path. No "hoping" they act right, or assuming they know how to behave. No surprises. :goodvibes

jmpooh
08-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Last year when we cruised my DD was 11. She is very responsible and mature for her age. I was still a nervous wreck. I was very happy that they had the phones to text and call. We gave her many of the rules listed. And made sure i mentioned them to her everyday. I appreciate everyone posting their rules because there are some I didn't even think to mention to her. I will be writing them down so I don't forget when we go on our cruise the end of the month!

jetskigrl
08-15-2012, 12:38 PM
In addition to the things listed, I also gave my DD an additional rule.

If she is returning to the stateroom alone, she is not to open the door if there is someone standing nearby (alone) or behind her. I explained how easy it would be for a man to follow her, wait for her to open the door and then push her inside.
If there is a family or a single person that is way down the hall, fine. Just not when it is just her and another person alone in the immediate hallway. If she finds herself in that situation, she is to keep walking to someplace with a lot of people around and then come back in a few minutes or call us to meet her.

I know it sounds extreme but it is the same thing I practice myself when walking out to my car alone at night, etc. I just want her to be aware of who is around her.

Agent555
08-15-2012, 06:45 PM

If she is returning to the stateroom alone, she is not to open the door if there is someone standing nearby (alone) or behind her. I explained how easy it would be for a man to follow her, wait for her to open the door and then push her inside.
If there is a family or a single person that is way down the hall, fine. Just not when it is just her and another person alone in the immediate hallway. If she finds herself in that situation, she is to keep walking to someplace with a lot of people around and then come back in a few minutes or call us to meet her.

I know it sounds extreme but it is the same thing I practice myself when walking out to my car alone at night, etc. I just want her to be aware of who is around her.

Great Rule!!! People are assaulted on cruiseships and better safe then sorry!

Eleblanc
08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
I think these are fantastic, not just for the cruise but for everyday life. Good job!

CRUISE RULES

poohbear luvs grumpy
08-15-2012, 06:59 PM
You pretty much covered it. I would add:

Use hand sanitizer AND wash your hands often.

A few cruises back (on the Magic) our DS contracted norovirus from something he touched in Ocean Quest - NOT a pleasant cruise.

Your list is great the fact that you have rules means your kids are going to be that much better behaved and protected

DL1957
08-15-2012, 07:27 PM
You parents are all awesome! DH and I were not blessed with children but have wonderful nieces and nephews. In our almost 10 DCL crusies 90% of the parents are just like you folks. We just need to get the other 10% be as respectful to their children and others as your folks are. Well done parents!

BeeTeacher
08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
I intend to treat the cruise ship no differently than I would a disney hotel. I would not let my 10 year old wander a disney hotel alone, why would I let her do this on a cruise ship?

So while my 10/12/14 year old CAN check themselves out of the clubs, they will know to call me , and I will come get them, simple. Call me over protective.... Im okay with that! lol!

tubtruck
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow at what point are they allowed to behave like kids, glad my parents had a far more laid back approach, gave me fond memories.

penel3
08-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Wow at what point are they allowed to behave like kids, glad my parents had a far more laid back approach, gave me fond memories.

Seriously?! They are allowed to be kids the entire time they are on the cruise........respectful, thoughtful, SAFE kids...!

bumbershoot
08-15-2012, 08:18 PM

What does it mean to "behave like kids"?

I'm not seeing "don't giggle", "don't have fun", or anything else on those lists. Just "how to be a decent human being who doesn't ruin the good time of others and doesn't get killed or assaulted".

Basically the same stuff my mom taught us when we were little back in the 70s (and what her mom taught her and her sibs in the 40s). Sure, we were a little more free-range, IMO that was a bit overboard back then. Not sure how the parents were so disconnected from us back then! On the other hand, I was (and still sort of am) convinced that my mom was psychic, as she always knew if we'd been up to something while she wasn't home!

SamandWill1921
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
These rules are fantastic! My parents raised me with manners and no matter how much fun you are having you should never forget those manners. It doesn't matter if you are on a cruise, at the mall with your friends, or at your great aunt's fancy dinner party you should always be a polite, pleasant person. There is no reason why you can't cut loose and have a good time on vacation but there is also no reason why all etiquette should go out the door.
There IS such a thing as having fun, and that does NOT have to include misbehaving. Are kids going to mess up? Of course. But that's the parent's job, to issue consequences so that they learn from the experience and become better people for it.

I don't have children but this is the way I was raised, as well as most of my close friends. This is how I intend to raise my children and how I am helping to assist in raising my younger brothers (10/8/4). I'm so happy to know that DCL has parents that have standards for their children. My DH and I were a little worried the place would be a evil spawn free for all :goodvibes

Gina
08-15-2012, 08:54 PM

I just shared this response with my DS and he had a good laugh over it. :thumbsup2 It's amazing how well children/tweens/teens respond to rules and structure. The greatest gift any of us can give our children in the long run is independence, and with that comes self-reliance. Someplace like a cruise is a great place to give them a bit more freedom than they might have in an open city or something, and while bad things can absolutely happen anywhere, there are fewer opportunities on a cruise ship and the rules posted by everyone will pretty much avoid all of those "opportunities."

And my son says he has more fond memories than all of his friends. :goodvibes A framework of guidelines and trust that is held sacred = more freedom to have fun!

Aurora's Mommy
08-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow, thanks for the great reponses. There was so much I didn't think of.

But, I have to say, Gina, :worship: . Wonderful list.

I'm going to assimilate all this information, and come up the list we will go over with the kids.

Thanks especially for the emergency information (we haven't sailed in 3 years). Also wanted to note that I don't know if I would be as comfortable giving the kids such freedom on a larger boat. I love the Magic because it is managable and feels cozy.

The kids will have a wonderful time, even if their Dad and I insist they wash their hands!

Drew770
08-15-2012, 09:10 PM

CRUISE RULES

I swear I was reading these rules and my mother's voice was what I heard! Some things are timeless.

The last one in particular hit a note! Mom and Dad always knew what I had done before I even got through the door!

Clotho
08-15-2012, 09:39 PM
AH! You guys are nearly making me tear up with "GO, GREAT PARENTS, GO!"

These are great rules, and address common courtesy and common safety issues. Nothing in here makes me cringe with hover-parenting--the opposite in fact, it inspires the children to be independent with a compass!

These are all things my parents taught us, and I am constantly appalled at how rare it seems to be these days. Thanks for doing your part to support common courtesy and self-awareness in the next generation!

McNabrat
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM

CRUISE RULES

I want to cruise with you and your family!! Way to go & well stated! :cheer2:

ilovetexas
08-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Gina, you are my new best friend and I want to make sure that you (and your son) are always on my cruises! This is how my parents raised us, with an expectation that we would have fun while being decent people aware of the world around us and our place in it. Good job!

And yes, back in the good old days, our moms always had eyes in the backs of their heads. ;)

jennyjinx3
08-15-2012, 10:20 PM
This thread is one of the greats.:goodvibes

mom-of-twins-2002
08-15-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm going to use a modified version of this with my 9yo DD's for our sept trip. Great ideas!!

vickxo
08-15-2012, 11:08 PM
While I think actually giving a typed out list to a tween or teen is a bit silly, i do not think it is silly at all to make sure your kids know those rules. If my mom were to hand me a list when I was 15 and go here follow these rules - I would have probably laughed at her, but if she just talked to me instead I'd listen and follow them.
I just wish more parents took the time to teach their kids manners like you all are doing! If I had a dollar for every time I said "WHERE ARE THAT KIDS PARENTS?!?" on my last cruise lets just say I'd be going on A LOT more cruises!

A little boy on pirate night before all the activities started was running up and down on the stage - was opening the pirate chest & playing with the canons and was asked to stop MULTIPLE times by cruise staff members and told not to be on the stage - the mother goes to the kid - "go back up there so I can take a picture" - so the kid does - the mother than says sit on the chest - the kid doesn't want to because he just got in trouble for touching it not 2 minutes earlier, and tells his mom "i'm not supposed to touch it" the mom than says the most horrifying thing I ever heard - "IT'S DISNEY - YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT." :headache:

Dreamscome2ru
08-16-2012, 05:48 AM
That is excellent advice. I plan to use that too. I'm always amazed at people who are completely unaware of their immediate surroundings. I've thought often about how to help my daughter develop that valuable instinct.

Gina
08-16-2012, 10:41 AM
You guys are all awesome... Thanks for the kind words, and THANKS to the OP for starting this thread and giving us an avenue to share ideas in regards to our kids. :cheer2:

Honestly, I think a lot of what I have put into practice over the years has come from necessity. I've been divorced since DS was not even 2, and it has been just he & I since then. We've been going to WDW since he was 4, and cruising since he was 5, and since it's just me I can't be there with him ALL the time. But I've never been a hover-parent anyway -- I'm raising my son the same way my brother and I were raised, as Clotho so perfectly put it, "independent with a compass." We had freedom, but we were reminded often how quickly that freedom would go away if we took advantage.

While I think actually giving a typed out list to a tween or teen is a bit silly, i do not think it is silly at all to make sure your kids know those rules. If my mom were to hand me a list when I was 15 and go here follow these rules - I would have probably laughed at her, but if she just talked to me instead I'd listen and follow them.

Then you'll really laugh when I tell you that not only is the list printed, but my son and I both sign a revised copy before every trip. :thumbsup2 It's a contract -- and I believe strongly that the act of him signing off on it fosters accountability. But we all parent differently, and we all know our own kids best. :goodvibes

ericalynn1979
08-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the great lists everyone, filing them away for future reference.

DH and I expect the same behavior of our children when we are on vacation as when we are home. We expect them to be polite, decent little human beings. But the safety and checking in stuff is good to have.

MissLiz
08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Great lists!!!

So far, my DD's have been too young to check themselves out or be anywhere by themselves, but some of these rules would work for them, too.

And printing it out so it's right there? Priceless! I don't know how many times I've heard my 10-year-old say "You didn't tell me that." or "I didn't know." With it in writing? Guess what? Now you know. :lmao:

UCFALUM
08-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Great thread!
I just read all the rules to my 10 & 12 year old DS and will modify them for our trip. Love, love the idea of them signing the rules.
TFS!

shandrananette
08-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Great advice...DS is 2, so of course he's not on his own (ever, much to his chagrin), but good ideas as he grows. Especially some of the safety things (not going into anyone's stateroom, etc.), which are good advice anywhere. I'm embarrassed to say I've never put much thought into how risky it is to open a hotel room to try and get inside if someone is nearby. I probably would, thinking I'd be safer inside. But now I won't!

jmpooh
08-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Today while my DD and I got our hair done I went over the rules that Gina posted as well as the others on here. A lot of them she already knew but some of the made her think. I don't think giving them guidelines and structure is a bad thing! In fact many of my friends now tell me they wish there parents had given them a few more rules and guidance when they were growing up!

stulaurie
08-16-2012, 06:29 PM
My DD is never allowed to use the elevator when coming back to the Cabin after her Club, or anytime at night. Too many people who have been drinking, and alot can happen behind closed doors. She is also not allowed to go outside at night for any reason by herself or with friends.

DLW8
08-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas....I had been thinking about this, but hadn't sat down to make a list to review with the kids (and I love the contract idea, Gina!)

This will be their first time in the Edge with more freedom, so I definitely want to make sure we are all on the same page with the rules.

I also like the post about the parents had the wave phones, and the kids can use the house phones. We had been considering getting an extra phone so each kid would have one, but perhaps I will use that now. They can use the house phone or a friend's wave phone to contact us.

Gina
08-17-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm excited about the wave phones! We used walkie talkies for years, and then he just got too old for that and we went to the find-a-house-phone plan, but this will be so much easier.

I also wanted to thank a pp for the rule about noticing if anyone alone is around you before you go in your room -- I honestly had not thought of that at ALL. That's why I love threads like this... We all learn new stuff every day. My own list has been cobbled together over the years from different suggestions here and there, plus my own observations on cruises. That tip I just learned is going on my list now!

mistyt
08-17-2012, 10:38 PM
This thread is one of the greats.:goodvibes

I agree! I haven't read the entire thread yet, and it might seem like common sense, but I see it happen all the time:

Please be kind to the environment and DO NOT throw ANYTHING overboard! It may be safe for human consumption, but could possibly harm an animal or the ocean!

sftnslky
08-18-2012, 11:00 AM
:firefight Putting on my fire suit :firefight Before I post our rules please remember that each family/parent/child is different. And hopefully each parent KNOWS their own child's limitations. :thumbsup2 With that being said.....

Our teenage girls MUST not bring their cell phones. One of our last Disney Cruises they were texting the whole time "but we have unlimited text" and our bill was over $700 :eek: when we got home.

We do not like using the wave phones so the fastest way is to either call the cabin from a house phone and leave a message where you will be, or if you in the cabin you can also leave a message from your cabin phone.

Our girls curfew is 1 hour past the time that the teen club closes. After that you must be back in the cabin. That way it gives them time to go up and grab some pizza/soda/hot chocolate make plans with their friends for the next day.

Our boys are not forced to eat any meal with us, but they can not just live on ice cream/soda/chicken strips popcorn:: They have to have something healthy at least once a day :rotfl2: after all it is their vacation as well. They don't get to eat junk food at home.

None of our kids are allowed to walk through the Adult's only areas.

They don't have to attend any of the shows, but they usually end up seeing most of the movies....since it is EXTREMELY expensive to take 6 people to the movies at home it is a very rare treat.

Our kids have all been taught from a very early age to open doors for ladies, elderly, or someone with an arm full. They all say please and thank you 95% of the time, And that doesn't stop just because we are on vacation. In fact a little brag moment here. On our last cruise the lady who answers the room service phone sent me and our kids a hand written letter each saying how proud she was of the kids, they were always polite, always tipped, and were very respectful. :flower3: and how she wished many other kids would be.

Our boys do have check in and out privileges and they do not have to attend any activity that the clubs are having.

And lastly..which I'm sure I'm forgetting alot...is do not make it harder for any CM/Cabin Steward/Waiter their job is SUPER hard as it is. :goodvibes

uscgrl93
08-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Gina, I love the "leave a message on the whiteboard" idea. I never thought about that! Bringing a small whiteboard to leave in the room is a great idea...for every member of the family! I am so adding that to my list of things to bring!

momtoleasawav
08-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Although I wouldn't print out the rules and have my kids sign them, mostly because I dont feel the need too, I have recently spent some time with my neighbors children, ages 10 and 11 and I WISH their parents would enforce some rules, any rules. Being in public with them is sometimes embarrassing, they have no limits and no consequences when they misbehave. On or off a cruise, I would like to draw a contract up for them!

rantnnravin
08-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Gina, I love the "leave a message on the whiteboard" idea. I never thought about that! Bringing a small whiteboard to leave in the room is a great idea...for every member of the family! I am so adding that to my list of things to bring!

I would think a pack of post-its would do the trick too - just stick 'em to the mirror:goodvibes

sheadley
08-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Then you'll really laugh when I tell you that not only is the list printed, but my son and I both sign a revised copy before every trip. :thumbsup2 It's a contract -- and I believe strongly that the act of him signing off on it fosters accountability. But we all parent differently, and we all know our own kids best. :goodvibes

I was thinking when I read the list, I would print it out AND make us all sign it. PERFECT! Bravo!

lesabrowning
08-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Gina - Great rules!

My husband and I have 8 kids and have lived with a similar set of rules, all but the youngest is now in college and they thankfully turned out very well. (I credit the rules.. LOL) For the record, my kids would say they grew up "being kids" and having a HUGE amount of fun.

I think for the most part it is good to just go over the rules before vacation and you likely do not have to print them out, especially since the whole point is that you have been living this way in your homes all along. The one exception is probably with many teenagers. My teens, who were never what we might think of as "difficult" would tell you that sometimes teens just want you to lay it out on paper so that the details are perfectly clear. LOL (this pertains more to things like curfew than say being polite, but why not just list all your rules and hit print for the teens...LOL)

This is a great group of Disney parents, I would be thrilled to cruise with any of you!

MaleficentRN
08-18-2012, 04:34 PM
If I could add one I told my kids:
Only take/ order what you will eat. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to put it on your plate. If you do, you must eat it.

GoofyTwinDad
08-18-2012, 05:14 PM
If I could add one I told my kids:
Only take/ order what you will eat. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to put it on your plate. If you do, you must eat it.

Does this mean you will force your kids to eat it if they don't like it. I believe eating on a cruise is a great time to broaden their digestive horizons. I would love it if my children would try new foods, if they don't like it they can always fall back on their favorite food.

MaleficentRN
08-18-2012, 05:57 PM
No. It means don't be a glutton. If I had a dime for every kid I saw with two doughnuts, a bagel, a muffin, cereal, bacon and sausage on their plate and eat two bites or a kid make an ice cream cone, take a lick then toss it and get another, I could pay for the Roy suite on my next cruise.

GoofyTwinDad
08-18-2012, 06:31 PM
No. It means don't be a glutton. If I had a dime for every kid I saw with two doughnuts, a bagel, a muffin, cereal, bacon and sausage on their plate and eat two bites or a kid make an ice cream cone, take a lick then toss it and get another, I could pay for the Roy suite on my next cruise.

I agree with that. Thank goodness my kids would eat more fruit than anything else they served on the buffets. I was referring to eating at the MDR's and trying new foods.

princesspwrhr
08-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Our teenage girls MUST not bring their cell phones. One of our last Disney Cruises they were texting the whole time "but we have unlimited text" and our bill was over $700 :eek: when we got home.

Funny you mention this. This was one of the FIRST things we discussed with our 14yo once our cruise was booked. I still haven't decided what to do with her iPhone yet, but we had a LONG talk about international costs - data & texting, not just calls. What I want to do is temporarily disable text, all apps that use data and phone calls while on the cruise, essentially turning it into an iTouch. But that doesn't seem possible. So I will probably just lock it up.

We are traveling with one of her best friends, who I am 99% positive will have her iPhone with her the whole time. Alone, I'm fairly certain that my daughter would respect the rules and her worst infraction would be responding to a text with 'can't talk on cruise see you in a week". With peer influence (her friend is a phoneaholic) I'm pretty sure we'd both be coming home with crazy bills. We're not leaving the phone at home because we're going to Disney the week before and the girls will be allowed some freedom in the parks and need the phone to get in touch with us.

Then the debate is on about the wave phone. lol

dbxazd
08-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Great lists peeps :) I'd be glad to cruise with y'all too :) I'm subscribing to this thread to show my 2 kids and my niece & nephew before we go in December. While my 2 have sailed before and our last cruise went fine but it's never a bad thing to go over the rules/guidelines each time :)
Robin

NYKaren
08-18-2012, 06:45 PM
You can disable the data if you put the iPhone in Airplane Mode under settings. Then under General turn off data and/or voice roaming

This is a great thread! We used the whiteboard idea this cruise and it worked perfectly!

mmackeymouse
08-18-2012, 08:36 PM
(5) No running and/or yelling in the halls (and not just during quiet hours).

I would add, no running anywhere, not just the halls, unless within the safe confines of the sports court. I cannot remember if no running on deck is a DCL rule, but it definitely should be, as running on deck is just about asking for a broken limb.

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.[/i] :rolleyes1

That is beautiful. It reminds me of the "Rules for Dating," where the guy says, "I am the all knowing god of your universe." I know all. I see all. I will always find out.

You can disable the data if you put the iPhone in Airplane Mode under settings. Then under General turn off data and/or voice roaming

Yes, but I think in that situation, the teen would be able to get it disabled herself, if not her tech savvy friend. I think the poster was hoping there was something that could be done through their carrier to lock it temporarily.

I agree, the best thing to do is just lock it up in the safe or hide it or whatever you need to do. That's probably the best course of action. And, talking to the friend's parents about the costs of at-sea usage may convince them to confiscate hers as well.

One thing I would add would be, and it may seem rather obvious, but to follow all DCL rules and policies. ie: do not go into any adult areas. On CC, where it says, "Not past this point" it means not past that point. Flash photography not allowed. No saving of chairs. And so on and so forth; and just to reinforce with them that on the cruise that they will encounter rude people. They will encounter people that are dishonest. They will encounter people that pay no attention to the rules. But, that they are still expected to follow the rules.

sheadley
08-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Great thread.

And the question about the daughter and the cell phone, I would just lock it up before sail away party and give it back when debarking. Period.

Is your daughters friend traveling with you or are her parents on the cruise as well? If she's your guest then I would lock hers up with your daughters as well. Done. End of story. :).

dbxazd
08-18-2012, 10:28 PM
I have a smart phone that I love and some would say (ahem my DH) that I am addicted to it and I do know how to turn off all the data etc.......but I still lock my phone up in the safe once we start sailing (I use it while we are eating lunch etc on embarkation day right up until the boat starts moving) ands then turn it on again when we are back in Port Canaveral. Neither one of my kids have phones yet, but when they do, it'll be the same rule for them :).

I also have used the "there are people I'm friends with on FB that are going to be on this cruise that you don't know I know.....so I will know if you are acting inappropriately" line in the past and will use it again :)

Robin

Subi WRX
08-18-2012, 11:36 PM
I would settle for no ding dong ditch (all the suites have doorbells, and doorbells are like elevator buttons: kids can't help but press them).

princesspwrhr
08-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Great thread.

And the question about the daughter and the cell phone, I would just lock it up before sail away party and give it back when debarking. Period.

Is your daughters friend traveling with you or are her parents on the cruise as well? If she's your guest then I would lock hers up with your daughters as well. Done. End of story. :).

We don't even cruise until June so we've only begun thinking about it. But the initial gut parent feeling (that I usually do go with) is to lock it up, no questions asked. Thankfully my daughter will survive.

Her friends parents are also going. I adore them, which is why we're all going together, but they are a bit less strict and have a bit more spare cash so they tend not to worry quite so much or monitor their daughters spending and habits quite so much. (ex- this daughter gifted my younger kids with 2 huge bags of clothes from Justice the summer she & my daughter went into middle school. Some still with tags and that fit my daughter so obviously fit her. Her reason - she's to old to wear Justice. I double checked that her parents were fine with it and all 3 of my girls received some nice clothes. :banana: )

This is a great thread! We used the whiteboard idea this cruise and it worked perfectly!

I didn't even think of airplane mode. As I mentioned, we're probably going to just lock it up, but I do like that there are other options to consider.

Grandma4ever
08-19-2012, 08:41 AM
This is the contract we signed with my nieces (age 9 going on 3) This may give others additional ideas:

Disney Behavioral Contract

I will stay within 10 feet the adults in my group. If I should wander off the requirement to hold an adults hand at all times will be put into place and last for at least 30 min. Each time I wander off the time I must be attached to an adult will be increased.
I will listen to the instruction from Mom, Janet and Lois and will follow them with no more than 2 requests.
I will set quietly during meals and eat my meal. If I fail to eat at least 50% of the meal I will not get to eat dessert. There will be no snacking in between meals so it will be important to eat when we have the chance.
I will get up when asked and get dressed for the day.
I will attempt to use the restroom anytime I am asked.
I will be respectful of others personal space
No arguing or fighting of any kind
I will not climb on the railing at any time.
I will not leave the company of the adults without getting permission first.
I will not run at any time
I will not jump in the pool
I will respect other by using my inside voice at all times. This means there will be no yelling or screaming, for any reason, at any time, when on the boat.

We developed a reward system that provided some spending money. The better they did the more cash they had control over.

MowgliFan
08-19-2012, 07:54 PM
We were on the Dream earlier this year when our kids were 11 and 12. Our rules were that they:

come back to the cabin before dinner to get changed and go eat with us
stay together
back in the cabin by 1 a.m.
no going in anyone else's cabin
no one coming into our cabin

lauradis
08-20-2012, 06:02 AM
If you have Verizon you can turn your service off, on just one line for how ever long couple hours to months. It will extend your contract by the time the service is off if it is the main line in you family plan.

I grounded my daughter for 2 days last year and sent her to exile in her room. hopped on computer to verizonwireless.com and turned her service off, to give her time to think.

CarolAnnC
08-20-2012, 07:53 AM
I would settle for no ding dong ditch (all the suites have doorbells, and doorbells are like elevator buttons: kids can't help but press them).

They can be taught self control, you know. If my kids were doing this and would not stop, they sure would not be cruising. Even at home, I have seen how long it takes my mom to get up off the sofa with her crippling arthritis and to painfully get up to the door to find out it was a prank, well that is just unacceptable.

sheadley
08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
They can be taught self control, you know. If my kids were doing this and would not stop, they sure would not be cruising. Even at home, I have seen how long it takes my mom to get up off the sofa with her crippling arthritis and to painfully get up to the door to find out it was a prank, well that is just unacceptable.

I agree if they wouldn't stop, they would be punished. I don't think that's what the poster meant though. I think she meant that kids are like magnets to doorbells and buttons. If they see them, they will want to push them. I could see my 5 or 8 year old pushing one to see what happens. I would, of course, correct them the first time and that would be the end of it. But I can't make them stop being curious. I can make them accountable for the times after I told them to stop.

penel3
08-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I agree if they wouldn't stop, they would be punished. I don't think that's what the poster meant though. I think she meant that kids are like magnets to doorbells and buttons. If they see them, they will want to push them. I could see my 5 or 8 year old pushing one to see what happens. I would, of course, correct them the first time and that would be the end of it. But I can't make them stop being curious. I can make them accountable for the times after I told them to stop.

Of course, kids will be kids, lol! I am expecting some of this "curiosity" on our upcoming cruise, as we will have a doorbell....I would just smile when I opened the door. It's the older kids....generally 11-12 and up who tend to play the "ding, dong, ditch" which we have experienced even in hotel rooms without doorbells, just knocking on the door, ugh! If they are playing that game after 11 at night, I would call and complain....

sheadley
08-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Of course, kids will be kids, lol! I am expecting some of this "curiosity" on our upcoming cruise, as we will have a doorbell....I would just smile when I opened the door. It's the older kids....generally 11-12 and up who tend to play the "ding, dong, ditch" which we have experienced even in hotel rooms without doorbells, just knocking on the door, ugh! If they are playing that game after 11 at night, I would call and complain....

Totally agreed! (high five)

Subi WRX
08-21-2012, 01:04 AM

I don't have kids and I don't travel with them. I was merely pointing out that we've yet to cruise without someone ringing our doorbell and running away.

But good to know they can be taught self control.

BAT
08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
I don't have kids and I don't travel with them. I was merely pointing out that we've yet to cruise without someone ringing our doorbell and running away.

But good to know they can be taught self control.

OT, but I wanted to share. My BF was asked by a kid to ring a bell for him because he couldn't reach (on a busy street). He did, and before he knew it the kid had ran off. That was an evil twist of ringing the bell...

pdwimmer
08-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Simple rules for my kids:

Keep wave phone and key card handy
Let us know if you will not be joining us for dinner
Always say please and thank you
Respect other people's space
Come back to the room if you are feeling overwhelmed by the number of people and relax a bit

jahber
08-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I just want to say, I hope you're ALL on MY cruise! I love seeing kids who know how to be kids and still be respectful at the same time.

We have a rule about responding politely to everyone, but especially adults.

I've been working with my 5yo and 8yo on interacting with adults. They are quite shy. On our first cruise as we were walking down the hall, a room steward said to my daughter (8 ), "Hello, princess, how are you?" She replied, "Fine. How are you?" and we kept walking. I don't think I even noticed (although I SHOULD have, as this does NOT always happen with her. She's so shy!!!). The steward gave us a big smile and said, "Fine! Thank you!" Then he explained that children almost never responded to him. I think we made his morning with that small gesture. And he made mine by making a big deal out of it for my kids. That was awesome reinforcement for them!

Gina
08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I just want to say, I hope you're ALL on MY cruise! I love seeing kids who know how to be kids and still be respectful at the same time.

We have a rule about responding politely to everyone, but especially adults.

I've been working with my 5yo and 8yo on interacting with adults. They are quite shy. On our first cruise as we were walking down the hall, a room steward said to my daughter (8 ), "Hello, princess, how are you?" She replied, "Fine. How are you?" and we kept walking. I don't think I even noticed (although I SHOULD have, as this does NOT always happen with her. She's so shy!!!). The steward gave us a big smile and said, "Fine! Thank you!" Then he explained that children almost never responded to him. I think we made his morning with that small gesture. And he made mine by making a big deal out of it for my kids. That was awesome reinforcement for them!

I think most adults probably don't respond to them either! One cruise when I was in Rockin' Bar D, I got to know the bartender a little bit. Really nice guy. Next cruise a year later, he not only remembered me but what I like to drink. I was flabbergasted and told him so, and he replied that the vast majority of people barely talk to the staff at all, much less say "thank you" or "please" or anything else. He said they remember the ones who do. That stunned me even more... Are any sort of service staff really just invisible to people?? Have manners disappeared completely? So sad!! :sad2:

Kudos to you for helping your kids become more social, and polite at the same time. It would be a much better world if more people -- young and old -- practiced that! :flower3:

Piglets Mommy
08-21-2012, 01:20 PM

This is a great one! Thanks! We have already begun discussing some rules with our kids (will be 9 and 13 when we sail) but I hadn't thought of this. I might add to it to just head straight to the kid's club if this happens and call us, and we will come get them.

For those of you who say no being on open decks after dark, why is that? I would think walking the deck and chatting with their friends, riding the Aqua Duck or playing on the sports deck would be fine. I obviously don't want them running around causing trouble or doing anything unsafe, but I wouln't have thought to tell them to not be on open decks at night. Thanks in advance for your insight/reasoning on this...this is our first cruise with kids.

damiel
08-21-2012, 02:25 PM

CRUISE RULES

This is perfect. I copied it to go over with me 15 yo DS tonight.

Illini_Fan
08-21-2012, 07:15 PM
... There are house phones all over the ship that they can call you from and I didn't feel like giving them a $250 phone to lose. Have a great time!

On our last cruise (on the Wonder), we didn't pay attention to the location of the house phones. Are they located in central spots on each deck (i.e. the elevator banks)? Or are they just randomly placed about the ship?

thanks

pdwimmer
08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
This is perfect. I copied it to go over with me 15 yo DS tonight.

I love this list. But my kids would never be able to remember the whole thing. So I keep mine a bit shorter, with the same basic elements included. Go parents that actually care about their kids and don't let them run through the ship with no boundries! I think we are all on the same page.

My only additional rule is for them to watch out for other kids that may put themselves in a dangerous situation and to immediately report it to a CM or the nearest adult. Back in February there was a boy about 11 that was holding up his younger brother over the protective side of the ship. Literally hanging over the water. My son not only snatched the child from the brother's arms but alerted an adult immediately.

mcroadman
09-22-2012, 10:13 AM
[We are delighted to be doing our first cruise and our daughter now has a great list of rules that she will be aware of from "the get-go!" Thanks to the moms and dads for sharing. We want everyone on board to have a good time.. fewer missteps, means more fun and less tears because we will have fewer misunderstands!

pirate: Mean Momma :)

LoriS
09-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks so much for all the great ideas. We cruise next Saturday and this is my daughters first time in the Edge.

ceight
09-22-2012, 12:01 PM
I know each child has to have a wrist band that they wear the entire cruise. Are those trackable by the wave phones?

SteamboatWillie1021
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM

CRUISE RULES

Wow! My kids are 2 and 4 but this I need to save for the future! Behavior and manners are SO important and I don't think enough parents teach these things. I'm sure just by reading this you have nothing to worry about. By this point you have taught him how to be a gentleman and I'm sure it is second nature. GOOD JOB MAMA BEAR!!!:thumbsup2

TDC Nala
09-22-2012, 02:38 PM
I still haven't decided what to do with her iPhone yet, but we had a LONG talk about international costs - data & texting, not just calls. What I want to do is temporarily disable text, all apps that use data and phone calls while on the cruise, essentially turning it into an iTouch. But that doesn't seem possible. So I will probably just lock it up.

Put the phone in airplane mode and shut off the data services. You can do these under Settings. Then she can use it as a camera and for music or whatever - but no making or receiving calls or texts or data. You would have to trust her not to turn that stuff back on though.

All kids should be instructed to stay out of other staterooms (that do not belong to their party) and against inviting anyone into their stateroom.

BAT
09-22-2012, 03:10 PM
I know each child has to have a wrist band that they wear the entire cruise. Are those trackable by the wave phones?

No, they are not trackable at all. What they do is "know" when the kids go in or out of the kids' club.

TracyJAE
09-25-2012, 03:45 PM
What ages do the kids have to wear the wrist bands?

cruisecrasher
09-25-2012, 03:51 PM
What ages do the kids have to wear the wrist bands?

Any child who is in the oceaneer club or lab. So thre and potty trained and up.

jahber
09-25-2012, 04:58 PM
No, they are not trackable at all. What they do is "know" when the kids go in or out of the kids' club.

And kids do not have to wear them the entire cruise. They only have to wear them when they are in the clubs on the ship. :)

My kids asked us to take them off at night. They also don't need them in the kids club on Castaway Cay. They don't have scanners there, so they will just issue a band without attaching the tracker. That reduces the risk of losing it while swimming!

mama2ellie
09-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Funny you mention this. This was one of the FIRST things we discussed with our 14yo once our cruise was booked. I still haven't decided what to do with her iPhone yet, but we had a LONG talk about international costs - data & texting, not just calls. What I want to do is temporarily disable text, all apps that use data and phone calls while on the cruise, essentially turning it into an iTouch. But that doesn't seem possible. So I will probably just lock it up.

We are traveling with one of her best friends, who I am 99% positive will have her iPhone with her the whole time. Alone, I'm fairly certain that my daughter would respect the rules and her worst infraction would be responding to a text with 'can't talk on cruise see you in a week". With peer influence (her friend is a phoneaholic) I'm pretty sure we'd both be coming home with crazy bills. We're not leaving the phone at home because we're going to Disney the week before and the girls will be allowed some freedom in the parks and need the phone to get in touch with us.

Then the debate is on about the wave phone. lol

Our boys turn their iPhones to airplane mode once we step onboard the ship. It will not work for anything that requires an internet or wireless signal. Music and standalone apps only.

Kbrush
09-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi,
iPhone's in airplane mode can still use wireless. You just have to re-enable wireless after you put the phone into airplane mode.

One money saving solution is to call your carrier, give them the dates you will be on the ship, and have them disable long distance calls, data roaming etc. for those dates. I do this when I go overseas and it works very well. The phone is always on again on the date I specify.

Be sure to go into Network settings and turn off data roaming and cellular data and also turn off things like push notifications and location services.

Cheers

Karen

eyesing4u
11-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Would I be going a little overboard if I told my girls 12 & 13 that they are not allowed on the verandah when an adult is not in the room? Pun intended!

moebear
11-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Would I be going a little overboard if I told my girls 12 & 13 that they are not allowed on the verandah when an adult is not in the room? Pun intended!

My daughters will be 11 and 12 on our next cruise and they are never allowed on the balconies without an adult unless they are sitting down and we can see them at all times. I am paranoid that way and I get many an eye roll. But tough! :)

dizneekrazee
11-22-2012, 11:44 AM
These are great lists. Saving this thread for future use.

disneydreaming92701
11-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Wow! My kids are 2 and 4 but this I need to save for the future! Behavior and manners are SO important and I don't think enough parents teach these things. I'm sure just by reading this you have nothing to worry about. By this point you have taught him how to be a gentleman and I'm sure it is second nature. GOOD JOB MAMA BEAR!!!:thumbsup2

Awesome list. And just like you there is never ever a vacation from manners.... my kids know I expect them to always behave as appropriate young ladies.

KitKat90731
11-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Thank you soo much for all the great tips! My DS's are 8 and 10 and pretty well mannered. ;-) But even that, I will totally be sharing every single one of these with them. Also I made a sign on ver bright paper to attach to the inside of our door that calls out:

Remember
Please and Thanks you's
Be little men (they know this means to hold doors, help any one that needs help like the elderly)
No running, climbing, or jumping on anything
Make friends, not enemies
Eat 75% of every meal

disprincess4ever
11-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Lol my mother never taught me these things! On my next cruise I'm either going to feel really prepaired, or really paranoid.

slg4crzn
11-24-2012, 12:08 AM
I love all the suggestions. Maybe the title should be suggestions for all cruisers. It would be one big happy cruise if everyone was kind, polite, thoughtful, respectful, safe and happy! I'm going to write out a list and remind my cruisers.

erinsmom03
11-24-2012, 11:53 AM
I love all the rules, and I will be subscribing for sure! Our DD is only 9, and we will be cruising with family, another 9 year old and a 7 year old. A lot of the rules are not applicable, but many are pretty universal, regardless of age! I also picked up tips for DH's and my cell phones, hadn't thought much about them! Thanks!

goeva
12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
These rules are great! Saving it for future use as well.

DreamBound23
01-09-2014, 06:45 PM
These are great rules. I plan on drafting up a "contract" for my daughter to sign ;)

Saamh
01-09-2014, 08:10 PM
All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.[/i] :rolleyes1

I love this! Nothing better than ensuring your kids behave than letting them know mom has connections and will know EVERYTHING you do!

EastYorkDisneyFan
01-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.[/i]

I love this! Nothing better than ensuring your kids behave than letting them know mom has connections and will know EVERYTHING you do!

of course that depends on if they decide to say anything. On one of the cruises I was on with a group of poel from a message board I saw one of their teens running up a set of stairs. He stopped and looked at me as he definitely knew I knew his mom and dad, I didn't say anything to either of them as in my mind he didn't really o anything as him and the rest of the group just walked away.

k3chantal
01-09-2014, 09:36 PM

CRUISE RULES

Love this! We are going on our next cruise and our oldest will be 14. Definitely will be reviewing and holding him to something very similar!!