PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Teen Club - Vibe - Bad Experience/What to Do?

flipflops42
08-15-2012, 12:06 AM
My DS, age 14, and I went on the Fantasy 7/21/2012. This was DS first cruise and he was really looking forward to meeting other teens at Vibe. We went to the meet and greet on the first night. Then, he went three more times. DS finally gave up. :( The CMs were just babysitters and didn't engage the kids at all. (I walked into the club once to take him his iPod and he was sitting in a chair with his arms folded, along with 3 other boys his age. :mad: The older teens, 16-17 yrs old, were hogging the video games) The CM was right there. Doing nothing. Just chatting with a fellow CM. The planned activities were a bust too. I asked five other teens about their experiences in Vibe. They said the exact same thing.

I am planning another DCL Fantasy trip for our entire family (2 teens this time - Celebrating my daughter's Sweet 16!) in March 2013. I'm worried that they are going to be disappointed. Vibe is the main reason she wants to go on Disney. What has been your teen's experience at Vibe? Should I give DCL another chance or should I consider Royal Caribbean?

DCW
08-15-2012, 11:33 AM
My DS, age 14, and I went on the Fantasy 7/21/2012. This was DS first cruise and he was really looking forward to meeting other teens at Vibe. We went to the meet and greet on the first night. Then, he went three more times. DS finally gave up. :( The CMs were just babysitters and didn't engage the kids at all. (I walked into the club once to take him his iPod and he was sitting in a chair with his arms folded, along with 3 other boys his age. :mad: The older teens, 16-17 yrs old, were hogging the video games) The CM was right there. Doing nothing. Just chatting with a fellow CM. The planned activities were a bust too. I asked five other teens about their experiences in Vibe. They said the exact same thing.

I am planning another DCL Fantasy trip for our entire family (2 teens this time - Celebrating my daughter's Sweet 16!) in March 2013. I'm worried that they are going to be disappointed. Vibe is the main reason she wants to go on Disney. What has been your teen's experience at Vibe? Should I give DCL another chance or should I consider Royal Caribbean?

Hello,
Sorry to hear about that experience. Our first cruise my DS was 12 and to young for Vibe which he really wanted to go to, he was in the tween club. IT took 3 days to warm up to the CM's and other kids, but then we had to track him down as he was doing all kinds of activities. Our second trip he was 16 and he was so excited to go to Vibe and he loved it. The Cm's lead acitivities and interacted with them and he bonded with a bunch of other kids. In fact they are all still FB friends and chat regularly. SO our next cruise is for DS 18th Birth Day. He wanted to be on the ship for his b day, but found out that if you are turning 18 during the cruise you will be booked as an adult and not allowed to use Vibe. So he wantd to beable to be in vibe so bad we are going the week before his birthday.

I think your experience was isolated and I think your net one will be great. Did you share this with customer sevice? I think they would be very interested to hear this

racingfandj
08-15-2012, 11:11 PM
We were on the Fantasy over the 4th of July. My niece (14) loved the Vibe. She talks about the CMs constantly and also made a group of friends she has stayed in contact with since. The CMs have a lot of responsibility and try to get groups and games going; however, I think it really depends on the "crowd" as to how successful that is. I would say give it another try.

sweetpee_1993
08-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Our first cruise was on the Dream last September. I had 2 teen boys in Vibe and they described the counselor interaction much the same as the OP's experience. Both said they seemed interested in hanging around other cast members and not the kids. During that cruise my oldest didn't spend much time there at all. We sailed on the Magic in May and the Vibe experience couldn't have been more different. Both boys loved it! The counselors were very involved with all the kids and the entire bunch became a tight little group. I saw very little of the boys because they were always off with the club doing things. Both my boys rave about the Magic over the Dream because of the difference in personable counselors. Both still keep in touch with friends from the cruise, too. My oldest is pretty hesitant about sailing on the Fantasy next May. At this point his biggest reassurance is that his cousins will be sailing with us and he looks forward to the time with them. Such a shame. No, the OP isn't the only one to experience that with Vibe. I don't know what to offer as far as what to do about it. I made sure to write it in on my comment card.

SA53
08-16-2012, 05:24 AM
We were on the cruise right before the op and my ds had the exact same experience. He only went the first night though. The kids were left to make their own way. On our cruise it was an older crowd in the vibe and my ds who is a young 15 did not feel comfortable. My dd didn't really love the edge either but went another 2 times. It was weird that I thought I would never see my kids on a Disney cruise and instead I never saw satellite falls!!!! We are going on again in 2 years when both my ds and dd will be in the vibe so they will have each other. Quite frankly I loved every minute of the cruise maybe even more because my kids were with me all the time.

K in SA

disneyholic family
08-16-2012, 05:42 AM

you should have written this on a comment card when you were on the cruise.
They do read the comment cards and that alone might help prevent this from happening again.

I would also email or mail DCL with exactly what you wrote here.

unless you complain they won't know about it in order to correct it.

if it were me however, i probably would switch to RCCL - the oasis or allure of the seas...

NHdisneylover
08-16-2012, 05:51 AM
My DD had a similar experience on our last sailing on the Magic. They also cancelled many scheduled activities 20-30 minutes before they were scheduled and then turned away kids who cam in 10-15 minutes before saying there was "no interest" even though plenty of kids were showing up in that time frame.

It seems like sometimes you get great staff working with the teens, and sometimes not. Who you get can really make or break the club experience. Luckily my kids both love the family activities too, so if the club is a bust they will just migrate to those.

lmhall2000
08-16-2012, 08:58 AM
I think if my son had been by himself he likely would have had the same experience at 14...some 14 year olds just do not have the confidence to engage...my now 17 year old son would simply ask to have a turn or find someone to do something else with, but at 14 probably not. We met a family through the cruise meets who had a son the same way, they buddied up and had a great time...our next cruise was kids sail free so we took a buddy of his with us...they had a blast!