PDA

View Full Version : What are some good gifts for our CMs?

battlepanda
08-14-2012, 11:00 PM
What are some good ideas for small gifts to give our CMs? Anyone have any ideas or know what they might like? They'll still get more than enough cash, but just giving them an envelope at the end is kind of boring for me.

KWithers
08-14-2012, 11:26 PM
I've read pre-paid phone cards are appreciated. :)

TXDCLfan
08-14-2012, 11:38 PM

This is pretty much out dated,most cast members use a cheaper version of cellular at sea these days.

jdb in AZ
08-14-2012, 11:41 PM
They really need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

woody73
08-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Cash.

Woody

MTmomma
08-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Cash cash cash, oh, and did I mention cash?

woody73
08-15-2012, 12:09 AM
. . . They'll still get more than enough cash . . .
According to whom?

Woody

mickey7
08-15-2012, 01:33 AM
On the Alaska cruise we gave prepaid calling cards and the CM's loved them. A couple of them started to almost have tears and then I found out that they did not have a cell phone because they could not afford one. One of the CM's was going to use it to call home since she was working on this ship, her husband on another Disney ship, and their child with grandparents. In Skagway while walking around town we ran into our server who said hi and that he was going to the library to use the Internet and find a pay phone to call home. We bought ours at the Victoria port which had a small gift shop. But remember what country they are from and the lady that worked at the shop was very helpful and looked up which calling cards worked best for the country they are calling. Also at the Victoria port there were pay phones right outside the ship and I noticed some CM's from the ship using them from the time we got off to the time we were going back aboard the ship.

Tabologist
08-15-2012, 02:33 AM
I like this thread question. Other then cash and phone cards (we will tip) is there a creative pintrest-type idea? Maybe candy or other treat? Something they miss while onboard? Magazine, notebook, fun pen etc?? Im thinking if I were to send a "care package" to someone at camp what would I send? Of course it must be small and light enough to travel with. :) and, of course, a personal note, which I feel is always appreciated.

Cisco0214
08-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Just cash. They really don't have room or want any cute gifts .

Chuck Finley
08-15-2012, 06:18 AM
If you don't know someone well enough to know what they want or appreciate, perhaps it is an indication that it would be better to give the traditional and expected cash tip? If you feel this is too impersonal, add a nice hand written note explaining why you are so appreciative.

Macmaro
08-15-2012, 07:22 AM
I know there are some cast members that work onboard out of a love for Disney but I get them impression that most (not used as exaggeration) are there to make money. My heart goes out to all those that have told me stories of their children they have left behind. I will always give only cash.

Having said that, we did have one cast member that we always saw cleaning one of the public restrooms, treat our daughter like a princess. We took a photo of her and my daughter and had it framed a shutters for her. We also talked to her supervisor. One thing that has bothered me since then is that I wish I had given her some cash.

dthogue
08-15-2012, 07:52 AM
We live in Hershey, so I take along Hershey Chocolate (either kisses or miniatures, last year we gave large Kisses, which were a huge hit, I don't think they ever saw kisses that big) - we've done 5 cruises and our staff has always been thrilled with the gift. I attach the tip envelope and a postcard from Hershey thanking them for their service and give it out on the last night.

Tammy
princess:

declansdad
08-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Cash

brergnat
08-15-2012, 08:42 AM
A nice gift box, sealed up with a nice ribbon...containing a wad of cash.

Seriously. These people do not want to be your friends and they won't have a sentimental attachment to the cute gift you come up with. They meet hundreds of people each week. They need cash. Give them cash.

dylan'smom
08-15-2012, 08:59 AM
What are some good ideas for small gifts to give our CMs? Anyone have any ideas or know what they might like? They'll still get more than enough cash, but just giving them an envelope at the end is kind of boring for me.

We always like to include a card of some sort for ports (Starbucks, phone, etc.) and maybe candy - it's great to find out what kind they like/miss and pick it up in port, when we can.

I think the thoughtfulness is appreciated. I agree that they are working for money and don't have a lot of room, but I also agree that small thoughtful gifts/tokens are generally appreciated. :hippie:

On the Alaska cruise we gave prepaid calling cards and the CM's loved them. A couple of them started to almost have tears and then I found out that they did not have a cell phone because they could not afford one. One of the CM's was going to use it to call home since she was working on this ship, her husband on another Disney ship, and their child with grandparents. In Skagway while walking around town we ran into our server who said hi and that he was going to the library to use the Internet and find a pay phone to call home. We bought ours at the Victoria port which had a small gift shop. But remember what country they are from and the lady that worked at the shop was very helpful and looked up which calling cards worked best for the country they are calling. Also at the Victoria port there were pay phones right outside the ship and I noticed some CM's from the ship using them from the time we got off to the time we were going back aboard the ship.

It's good to know the phone cards are still a good idea. And I'm sure if they have a cell plan and don't need it, they can share it with a friend. :cool1: A cruise ship environment is so different from other work places and they are often isolated from things - one CM was really missing cheese (apparently they just have the sliced a la buffet type available to them) and there are certain treats they just can't go and buy.

I think we are all aware that they primarily should be compensated with cash, but I've experienced many times, over the years, when an extra token has been a perfect addition.

faithtrustpixie
08-15-2012, 09:03 AM
My husband occasionally receives little gifts at work which he kindly accepts with a big smile (although he almost always does not like/need/want them.) But he truly appreciates a hand-written note and/or a note to his supervisor about his great work.

Travel safely!!!!

WallaceFamily
08-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I know there are some cast members that work onboard out of a love for Disney but I get them impression that most (not used as exaggeration) are there to make money. My heart goes out to all those that have told me stories of their children they have left behind. I will always give only cash.

Having said that, we did have one cast member that we always saw cleaning one of the public restrooms, treat our daughter like a princess. We took a photo of her and my daughter and had it framed a shutters for her. We also talked to her supervisor. One thing that has bothered me since then is that I wish I had given her some cash.

I'm not sure how I would feel if my boss gave me a framed picture of me and her/him together. Should I hang it on my wall or throw it in the bin? Seriously, people, they want and need cash. I'm a school teacher and even hated the candy my students gave me (I know that is not nice, but teachers I know are very health conscious). Although stationary is nice...

sue
08-15-2012, 09:05 AM

BEWARE, I posted something very similar to this about a month ago and I wished I never posted it. Some people can be very nasty about this subject. I totally agree with what you are asking for , just saying others won't and they are NOT afraid to speak their minds.

TDC Nala
08-15-2012, 09:07 AM
If you are going to give food items, bring sealed or wrapped ones, like sealed bags of candy. Homemade food items won't be allowed.

One of the best things you can do for a crew member is mention them by name with a good review on the comment card you fill out on the last day of your cruise.

sue
08-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Just cash. They really don't have room or want any cute gifts .

Maybe polling ALL cast members would be helpful instead of ASSUMING that they don't appreciate some of the small tokens that guests have given them along with a tip. Honestly, I can't believe how many people on these boards are so against extra tokens of appreciation. Do you ALWAYS get exactly what you want? I was brought up, that it is the thought that counts and as long as they are getting the tip outlined by the cruise line, I personally don't see the harm.

Tabologist
08-15-2012, 09:22 AM
BEWARE, I posted something very similar to this about a month ago and I wished I never posted it. Some people can be very nasty about this subject. I totally agree with what you are asking for , just saying others won't and they are NOT afraid to speak their minds.

I see this... There are givers and takers in life. You can never be both.

poohssmum
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
On a recent cruise, we were told by 2 separate CMs that during their time off they were making a b-line right to their "favorite store" .... WalMart. At the time I did a bit of a mental head slap and thought, "DUH ... gift cards!!" Over and above the recommended gratuities, we also gave cash in the envelope on the last night.

shaycamp21
08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
No flames please but I think it's always best to just give cash. I know there are lots of reports here that CM's are gushing with gratitude over little trinkets and tokens but how else are they supposed to act, he / she can't very well say what may be on his/her mind. I am sure many of us have received gifts that we don't want / need but have acted like it was the best gift ever in front of the giver, so as not to hurt their feelings. Just my 2 cents.:goodvibes

Raspberry Beret
08-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Cash! Cash in a box! Cash in a bag! Cash in an envelope! Make a cute little Pinterest crafty item but include some Cash! Doesn't matter as long as it's Cash. Cash!!! :lmao: :lmao:

WallaceFamily
08-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Here is the thing...

Most CMs on a cruise are of another culture and in most cultures, a "gift" is synonymous with giving "cash".

In the case of giving cash to people who are working, it is VERY thoughtful. Giving trinkets is not thoughtful. Just because you thought about something to buy and wrapping it with a bow or tissue paper does not make it thoughtful. Yes, it does make for a rather pretty presentation, but I think if I were a CM who was away from family to make money to send home, I would be thinking "I hope there is cash in there or a card that will help in my rehiring or promotion".

Giving cash in this case is very thoughtful.

kngtrtn
08-15-2012, 10:00 AM
in most cultures, a "gift" is synonymous with giving "cash".

This sounds like so much bunk! Please point to the research that proves that "in most cultures the only thing considered a gift is cash"

I've visited many places on this planet earth and that is the first time I've ever heard that statement!

To the OP - do not feel bad about all the replies you are getting. This topic always brings out the people who believe cash is the only option - and they make it clear if you do not agree with them you are wrong.

Most of us who whould post our thoughts and ideas on this subject have stopped posting because we are basically told we are idiots. These people claim that thier "friend" is a CM or a CM on the ship told them they do not like the gifts but are just money grubbing greedy individuals who really care nothing for the passengers.

That is supposed to make think it is true - no matter how many other people post that they have a "friend" who is a CM or where told bt many CMs on the ship that they truly enjoy the little gifts people give them - as long as it is in addition to and not instead of the money tips!

I'm appalled that the DISBoards has done nothing to stop this group from hi-jacking every thread about this and belittling people for what many consider a woderful, thoughtful thing (and there are many CMs that enjoy the gifts).

Tabologist
08-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I read through an older post on this and someone mentioned giving away their door magnets at the end of the cruise. Or making up some specifically for them that say "thank you" This sounds like a nice small addition to the !!!EXTRA CASH!!! And Positive comment report we will be giving. Maybe they will decorate their room with it. Maybe they'll send it to a loved one. Maybe they'll toss it. But my kids and I will have fun making and sharing them.

declansdad
08-15-2012, 10:08 AM
This sounds like so much bunk! Please point to the research that proves that "in most cultures the only thing considered a gift is cash"

I've visited many places on this planet earth and that is the first time I've ever heard that statement!

To the OP - do not feel bad about all the replies you are getting. This topic always brings out the people who believe cash is the only option - and they make it clear if you do not agree with them you are wrong.

Most of us who whould post our thoughts and ideas on this subject have stopped posting because we are basically told we are idiots. These people claim that thier "friend" is a CM or a CM on the ship told them they do not like the gifts but are just money grubbing greedy individuals who really care nothing for the passengers.

That is supposed to make think it is true - no matter how many other people post that they have a "friend" who is a CM or where told bt many CMs on the ship that they truly enjoy the little gifts people give them - as long as it is in addition to and not instead of the money tips!

I'm appalled that the DISBoards has done nothing to stop this group from hi-jacking every thread about this and belittling people for what many consider a woderful, thoughtful thing (and there are many CMs that enjoy the gifts).

I don't think anyone has said the OP was wrong. The truth of the matter is CMs have limited space and it is impossible for a guest to know what a CM would like as a gift. If they truly want or need something, the can use the cash to purchase it.

Besides giving a good tip, the next best thing you could do for a CM would be to make sure their employer knows that you thing they did an exceptional job.

faithtrustpixie
08-15-2012, 10:15 AM
My apologies. I certainly didn't mean to offend or apply judgement to your desire to get little trinkets or gifts for cast members. Of course you should do whatever you wish to do and enjoy yourself doing it. I just wanted to let you know the experience for my family when my husband receives trinkets/gifts. Obviously, just expressing my opinion.

I do want to suggest that whatever you decide to do, you also consider writing a personal letter to DCL if you encounter an exceptional cast member. We had an awesome Stateroom Host and I wrote a letter and enclosed a picture of him making a towel animal with my daughter. I even received a letter back from DCL expressing their appreciation for my letter.

Travel safely, have fun and do whatever gives you joy,

WallaceFamily
08-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Omg. Chill.

I didn't do any research except thru my life experiences...just like you. Plus, I am of another culture who has lived (not visited) overseas off and on throughout my life. All I am saying is that in other cultures, there is no taboo when giving or receiving cash. It is said to be impersonal, when in other cultures, it is not.

Nobody is an idiot for posting their opinions. I'm sorry you felt that someone may have called you that. And please, do not misquote me by putting quotes around your own words.

But I did offer nice stationary as a gift idea. ::yes::

AlexandNessa
08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
OP, are you sorry you asked yet? :goodvibes

WallaceFamily
08-15-2012, 10:31 AM
OP, are you sorry you asked yet? :goodvibes

:lmao:

jenf22
08-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Maybe polling ALL cast members would be helpful instead of ASSUMING that they don't appreciate some of the small tokens that guests have given them along with a tip. Honestly, I can't believe how many people on these boards are so against extra tokens of appreciation. Do you ALWAYS get exactly what you want? I was brought up, that it is the thought that counts and as long as they are getting the tip outlined by the cruise line, I personally don't see the harm.

I agree. I'm in the boat of people who read these threads, but try not to get involved (I read every page of your other thread and am sorry I didn't stand up to defend you then). But I do wonder how many CMs would like a gift card, a phone card, or a bag of candy. If what everyone assumes about CMs is true - that they are all working to support a family in another country, wouldn't you think they would want something for themselves every once and a while? I know when I was a totally broke college student if someone gave me a check or cash (birthday, Christmas, whatever), I paid bills with it. If someone gave me a candy bar or some bubble bath, I was happy to have something for me that I didn't feel obligated to pay bills with. I didn't curse under my breath that they should have given me cash because I was broke. Maybe these folks would feel the same and appreciate a small gift (as well as their tip). I think the DIS people are a very small percentage of the total guests on board, so it's not as if they would be getting hundreds of gifts per cruise. Just my two cents.

Cinderelley
08-15-2012, 10:37 AM
In the case of giving cash to people who are working, it is VERY thoughtful. Giving trinkets is not thoughtful. Just because you thought about something to buy and wrapping it with a bow or tissue paper does not make it thoughtful.

Please give your definition of thoughtful as you contradicted yourself. Perhaps you meant practical?

Giving something to someone in appreciation and the ability of the receiver to use the gift/appreciate the gift are two separate things. The giver was well-meaning in the gift even if it was not practical.

As far as something to give to the CMs, I would agree with extra cash and add a handwritten note. They would be able to use it for whatever purposes and also know they were appreciated. Unless of course, they mentioned something they missed and you were able to get it in port. That would work two. :thumbsup2

WallaceFamily
08-15-2012, 10:38 AM
I read through an older post on this and someone mentioned giving away their door magnets at the end of the cruise. Or making up some specifically for them that say "thank you" This sounds like a nice small addition to the !!!EXTRA CASH!!! And Positive comment report we will be giving. Maybe they will decorate their room with it. Maybe they'll send it to a loved one. Maybe they'll toss it. But my kids and I will have fun making and sharing them.

Yes, I read thru that thread too and like the idea of giving them your door magnets especially ones that are Disney generic so that the CMs can give them to the next family coming onboard. This could earn them extra points and thus getting a bigger tip from that family.

You know what? THAT is exactly what I will do!

mmouse37
08-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Since people can't ask questions without getting jumped on I am closing this thread.

Really people.:furious:

MJ