PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Alcohol Onboard

Dustin
08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone,

Just curious about the limits of bringing alcohol onboard the ships. I know it has to be in a soft carry on container. I'm planning on bringing a soft cooler and maybe a backpack of beer cans. I just didn't know if there was a quantity amount restricted on Disney Cruise Line. Also is there a limit on liquor bottles considering they are made of glass. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dustin

kuhawk88
08-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Dustin,

You can bring as much alcohol as you can fit into a carry-on sized bag (approx 22L x 11H x 14W).

Here is a link to a thread with more info:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927298.

Have a great cruise!

nflmom
08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
thanks for the info!

linz02ag
08-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Is the allowable carry-on size the dimensions of a typical backpack?

jdb in AZ
08-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Is the allowable carry-on size the dimensions of a typical backpack?

Think of an airport scanner that your carry-on has to fit through. The one on the ship is the same size.

OKW Lover
08-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Hi everyone,

Just curious about the limits of bringing alcohol onboard the ships. I know it has to be in a soft carry on container. I'm planning on bringing a soft cooler and maybe a backpack of beer cans. I just didn't know if there was a quantity amount restricted on Disney Cruise Line. Also is there a limit on liquor bottles considering they are made of glass. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dustin

Dustin (the Dustin?)
There is no restriction on bringing on board glass bottles of liquor. Val & I routinely bring bottles of wine with us to drink in our cabin.

You must put your alcohol in your carry-on bag for DCL. Keep in mind that means you'll be hauling it around from the time you arrive at the port until you get into your cabins at 1:30 since there is no place to leave your bags.

Melissa S
08-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Also if you are bringing a large quantity I recommend bringing the receipts with you (we did this on our 8 night) just incase you don't finish it. You can bring back 1L duty free per person.

ilovetexas
08-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Also if you are bringing a large quantity I recommend bringing the receipts with you (we did this on our 8 night) just incase you don't finish it. You can bring back 1L duty free per person.

That's a good idea because we didn't even open the bottle of Crown Royal we brought; we were far too busy exploring the ship, the shore, or the insides of our eyelids!

MisterOJ
08-15-2012, 08:33 AM

Same thing happened to me on one of my cruises, but I didn't take a receipt. I explained it to the custom's agent and she told me it wasn't a big deala nd waived me right on through.

kdeans1010
08-15-2012, 10:33 AM
I would double the whole "make sure you can carry it for extended time periods" sentiment. I thought I could do it, had 2 bottles of wine, thought it wouldn't be too hard. Had a nice bruise on my shoulder afterwards.

MisterOJ
08-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I would double the whole "make sure you can carry it for extended time periods" sentiment. I thought I could do it, had 2 bottles of wine, thought it wouldn't be too hard. Had a nice bruise on my shoulder afterwards.

Or, just get a nice small bag with wheels that you can roll around. That's what I did last time and was able to brings 4-5 bottles of wine, 3-4 bombers of craft beer and a 1.5 liter bottle of rum.

mmouse37
08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Rolling bags are definitely the way to go!!!

MJ

LunaCup
08-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Or, just get a nice small bag with wheels that you can roll around. That's what I did last time and was able to brings 4-5 bottles of wine, 3-4 bombers of craft beer and a 1.5 liter bottle of rum.

Can the rolling bag be a small carry on size suitcase or does it have to be a rolling cooler?

mmouse37
08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Can the rolling bag be a small carry on size suitcase or does it have to be a rolling cooler?

It can be any type of suitcase or duffle bag or soft sided rolling cooler. No hard sided coolers are allowed. It just has to fit through an airport sized x-ray scanner. Also...no ice allowed in the bags.

MJ

LunaCup
08-15-2012, 11:58 AM
It can be any type of suitcase or duffle bag or soft sided rolling cooler. No hard sided coolers are allowed. It just has to fit through an airport sized x-ray scanner. Also...no ice allowed in the bags.

MJ

Awesome thank you for the info!! =)

jdb in AZ
08-15-2012, 12:07 PM
I've seen boxes of booze rolled on using the portable, collapsible luggage carts. The carts are less than $20 so I plan to get one before our next cruise to haul a week's worth of Diet Dr. Pepper onboard.

DVCNuts
08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
This is how we carried our bottles and Tervis cups. It fit very nicely. We used some bubble-wrap wine bottle protectors on the glass bottles, which you can see behind the cups and the Malibu. It is a rolling bag, smaller than the DCL max size. Worked great, and was easy to roll around while we waited for our stateroom to be ready.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/226352_3828996275669_1636617211_n.jpg

twopeasonepod
08-15-2012, 02:52 PM
We bring bottles of Stoli Vanil (1L instead of 750ml) and then use Diet Coke from the fountain. Perfect! Saves a ton of $. I still order cocktails at dinner, in Wavebands, etc. but getting a good start while getting ready or having a couple drinks after the boys go to sleep is much better this way! We got the DCL rolling duffles for the boys as a promo in July on the Alaska sailing and will use them as booze transport in October cruising the California Coast!

OKW Lover
08-15-2012, 03:26 PM
You may want to see this link for a succinct description (http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-adultactivities.htm#alcohol) of how to do this.

itzkelly
08-15-2012, 04:12 PM
What is the difference between how high a bag is and how deep it is? I assume the width is is from side to side.. I don't see a max on the length of a bag, so I assume duffel bags are ok?? :confused3

LunaCup
08-15-2012, 04:18 PM
This is how we carried our bottles and Tervis cups. It fit very nicely. We used some bubble-wrap wine bottle protectors on the glass bottles, which you can see behind the cups and the Malibu. It is a rolling bag, smaller than the DCL max size. Worked great, and was easy to roll around while we waited for our stateroom to be ready.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/226352_3828996275669_1636617211_n.jpg

That looks perfect! I love the bubble wrap. Any ideas for packing bottles of beer so they don't roll around in the luggage?

ilovetexas
08-15-2012, 04:23 PM
That looks perfect! I love the bubble wrap. Any ideas for packing bottles of beer so they don't roll around in the luggage?

Not sure about the beer, but this is what we took for four bottles of wine/champagne: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10010700&N=&Ntt=wine

If you can find something similar for beer, that would work.

LunaCup
08-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Not sure about the beer, but this is what we took for four bottles of wine/champagne: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10010700&N=&Ntt=wine

If you can find something similar for beer, that would work.

Something like that would be perfect. Thanks now I will know what to look for.

Tikihula
08-15-2012, 04:37 PM
I've seen boxes of booze rolled on using the portable, collapsible luggage carts. The carts are less than $20 so I plan to get one before our next cruise to haul a week's worth of Diet Dr. Pepper onboard.

I'm with you, only mine will be caffeine free diet Pepsi. ::yes::

afossett
08-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Anyone ever tried to bring a case of bottled water? I'm trying to figure that one out. I drink a lot of water and was hoping to bring some.

OKW Lover
08-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Anyone ever tried to bring a case of bottled water? I'm trying to figure that one out. I drink a lot of water and was hoping to bring some.

I'm sure people have done that but I don't know why. The water on board is perfectly good to drink. No chemical/mineral taste at all. Just bring along one of those refillable bottles and save yourself the hassle.

DL1957
08-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Here is a hint for those flying out of the country to sail on DCL. We are going on our second Med next year. When we did the Baltic DH purchased his Scotch on the airplane as duty free!:woohoo: Great way to purchase it at a reduced cost. Just carry off the plane to our hotel and then bring in our carry on when we board the ship! There are 7 of us on the next trip so we will have our alcohol covered!

PrincessShmoo
08-15-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm sure people have done that but I don't know why. The water on board is perfectly good to drink. No chemical/mineral taste at all. Just bring along one of those refillable bottles and save yourself the hassle.

:thumbsup2 This.

The water onboard is processed the same way most bottled water is - reverse osmosis/filtered. It's quite good. No need to bring on a case of bottles that you have to lug around before your room is ready. (DCL requests that all beverages you bring onboard be carried on, not in checked bags).

Just bring your favorite water bottle and fill up.

:cutie:

JoiseyMom
08-15-2012, 08:17 PM

We checked a case of water in 2008 on the EBPC. We wanted bottled water for the ports (especially Mexico). It wasn't an issue back them.

PrincessShmoo
08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
We checked a case of water in 2008 on the EBPC. We wanted bottled water for the ports (especially Mexico). It wasn't an issue back them.

Just fill up your own bottle with water onboard the ship for excursions. No extra bottles that have to be recycled.

bumbershoot
08-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I saw this (http://www.thewinecheck.com/) linked to a while back. Seems like a great idea if you're flying with wine/etc!

twopeasonepod
08-15-2012, 08:25 PM
:thumbsup2 This.

The water onboard is processed the same way most bottled water is - reverse osmosis/filtered. It's quite good. No need to bring on a case of bottles that you have to lug around before your room is ready. (DCL requests that all beverages you bring onboard be carried on, not in checked bags).

Just bring your favorite water bottle and fill up.

Does this mean in the staterooms, too? I purchased a case onboard last time, but would much prefer to just use a hydroflask!

SWB
08-15-2012, 08:44 PM

This is what we bring with us - very slim and works well. We put it in our rolling carry on luggage with our adult beverages so it doesn't get broken.

Steve

http://www.amazon.com/Brita-42629-Slim-Pitcher/dp/B0000AP7NV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345081256&sr=8-2&keywords=water+filter+pitcher

PrincessShmoo
08-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Does this mean in the staterooms, too? I purchased a case onboard last time, but would much prefer to just use a hydroflask!

The water onboard (drink station, staterooms, showers, MDRs, bathroom sinks) all comes from the same source.

bmalonef45
08-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Just thought I'd add to this. Our last cruise we packed a soft sided cooler with rollers to bring along. The morning we left port I went over to the Publix and got a case of Corona Light bottles. It was a 5 day trip and and it worked out great. My only regret was that I got glass bottles. For in the room this was fine but I didn't feel comfortable bringing the glass on deck when we went by the pool. The next time I will probably by the metal bottles or cans instead. I'm usually a bottled beer snob but I'll make the sacrifice for safety's sake.

I am surprised more people don't take advantage of DCL's policy to let you bring your own. Now if I could just figure out a way to get my Jimmy Buffett Margarita machine on board I'd be SET!!!!

Keira1387
08-16-2012, 12:00 AM

:thumbsup2

MissNikki19
09-13-2012, 12:01 AM
What is the alcohol limit? I am hearing mix information about the the limit. Is it unlimited or 1 per person.

Clotho
09-13-2012, 12:08 AM
What is the alcohol limit? I am hearing mix information about the the limit. Is it unlimited or 1 per person.

Pretty much whatever you can fit into a standard carry-on. No limits are listed anyplace.

Ptwolfman
09-13-2012, 12:08 AM
It's only limited as to how much will fit in your carry on. NONE in checked bags

sissy_ib
09-13-2012, 12:09 AM

Unlimited on DCL. Just carry it on.

Sebby
09-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Just thought I'd add to this. Our last cruise we packed a soft sided cooler with rollers to bring along. The morning we left port I went over to the Publix and got a case of Corona Light bottles. It was a 5 day trip and and it worked out great. My only regret was that I got glass bottles. For in the room this was fine but I didn't feel comfortable bringing the glass on deck when we went by the pool. The next time I will probably by the metal bottles or cans instead. I'm usually a bottled beer snob but I'll make the sacrifice for safety's sake.

I am surprised more people don't take advantage of DCL's policy to let you bring your own. Now if I could just figure out a way to get my Jimmy Buffett Margarita machine on board I'd be SET!!!!

Might be hard to tell who brought stuff on board and who didn't, since you're supposed to consume it in your stateroom unless you're taking a bottle to the dining room.

What is the difference between how high a bag is and how deep it is? I assume the width is is from side to side.. I don't see a max on the length of a bag, so I assume duffel bags are ok?? :confused3

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/beverage-policy/alcohol-policy-onboard/

No limit stated, just has to fit in your carry-on bag which can't exceed 22"x14"x9"

High/height is how tall it is off the ground.
Deep/depth is how far from front to back
And yes, wide/width is how far from side to side.

It all depends on which way you turn your bag. I'd imagine a regular duffel would work just fine. If in doubt, get out your a tape measure and see what the different dimensions are.