PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Europe for Med. Cruise

duckman17
08-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Couple friends and I are planning to go on the Med. cruise out of Europe and we've set up the cruise part just need to find the best way to get there as cheap as possible. Two questions:
When is the best time to book flights to Europe?

What airlines to avoid? I saw some cheap airlines like Air Berlin and Turkish Air that give great deals I just want to make sure we get there.

Thanks,
Cameron

PrincessShmoo
08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Couple friends and I are planning to go on the Med. cruise out of Europe and we've set up the cruise part just need to find the best way to get there as cheap as possible. Two questions:

What airlines to avoid? I saw some cheap airlines like Air Berlin and Turkish Air that give great deals I just want to make sure we get there.

Thanks,
Cameron

We booked our air through DCL, didn't want any surprises if we didn't make it to the ship in time. It was on Delta. I hate Delta.

:cutie:

Itinkso
08-14-2012, 07:32 PM
We booked our air through DCL, didn't want any surprises if we didn't make it to the ship in time. It was on Delta. I hate Delta.

:cutie:

Delta was horrible when we returned from France earlier this month. We flew Air France from LAX to Paris and it was wonderful; best airline we've ever flown. Then our return, which we were expecting Air France, was on Delta - avoid at all costs! Friends of ours always rave about Virgin Atlantic.

blearbear4
08-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Give yourself plenty of time to get there! If you are wanting to dedicate any time to Barcelona, I would consider doing it before the cruise. I would recommend the Disney transfers if you do not want to spend any extra time in Barcelona!

Last year, we were booked with American Airlines, and our flight sat on the tarmac for over an hour, we had to refuel at a different airport, and we ended up missing our connecting flight to Barcelona by seconds! :furious: It was supposed to land 10 AM the morning our ship left Barcelona, so there was no way we would make it in time.

American got us and another family on the next flight (on the next evening!) to Barcelona and then connecting flights on a regional airline to Nice. The Disney transfers were great because we let Disney know we would arrive in Nice, and they sent a car to take us all straight to the tender to the ship in Cannes, rather than us having to find and pay for taxis.

I am not 100% sure about Turkish Air, but I know many Middle Eastern airlines still allow smoking on the plane, so be sure to check!

woody73
08-14-2012, 07:50 PM
. . . We flew Air France from LAX to Paris and it was wonderful; best airline we've ever flown.
We've flown Air France many times, and like them.

Woody

llkoolj40
08-14-2012, 07:52 PM
In 2010 we went on a Med. We were worried about being delayed because of the ash cloud, but the flight was canceled before the 2nd leg because of mechanical issues on US Air. We were stuck in Philadelphia. At the last moment, we were able to book a flight on Air Europa. They were helpful and it was a great flight. I would book them again before an American run airline to Europe again.

tajz90
08-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Air France was super nice, but they lost all of our luggage.
Virgin Atlantic is nice too. Small seat, free bear, have to pay for peanuts or pretzels!

Go early. We are leaving on Wednesday ;)

braysmommy
08-14-2012, 07:55 PM
We flew Air Lingus home from Barcelona after the EBTA and really liked them....well except the turbulence:eek:

Tired mom of 3 boys
08-14-2012, 08:02 PM
We're on Lufthansa...flying Wednesday to try to avoid any mishaps....

woody73
08-14-2012, 08:02 PM
. . . Virgin Atlantic is nice too. Small seat, free bear, . . .
Grrrrr!

Woody

tajz90
08-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Grrrrr!

Woody

Hahhaahaha! BEER ;). Sadly, I have a way of hitting enter before I read!

Epcotopia
08-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Hahhaahaha! BEER ;). Sadly, I have a way of hitting enter before I read!

Or maybe too much beer :rotfl:

To the OP, most European airlines are recommended. Avoid any american airlines at all costs!

DL1957
08-14-2012, 08:23 PM
I think all the airlines have their own challenges on any particular day and over the years I have flown a lot of them! :eek: On our 1st Med andthe Baltic cruiseson Disney we flew Delta both times with no problems. We had several friends who have also had the same good experience. That being said others have not had a good experience. I have had good and bad on Delta, United, Southwest and USAir.
We booked our air on Saturday price was not great but better than the $2,000 per person we first found. Like others have said make sure you fly in at least one if not two days before the cruise.

tajz90
08-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I think all the airlines have their own challenges on any particular day and over the years I have flown a lot of them! :eek: On our 1st Med andthe Baltic cruiseson Disney we flew Delta both times with no problems. We had several friends who have also had the same good experience. That being said others have not had a good experience. I have had good and bad on Delta, United, Southwest and USAir.
We booked our air on Saturday price was not great but better than the $2,000 per person we first found. Like others have said make sure you fly in at least one if not two days before the cruise.

Even with Air France losing our luggage and doing nothing to find it, it still was the nicest airplane we have ever flown on. Would go again in a heart beat, but would wear all of our clothes ;)

lilpooh108
08-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Here are my 2 cents...

Virgin Atlantic:
Virgin Atlantic was just ok (nice stewardess, good entertainment system) but SUPER SUPER SMALL AND UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS.

I mean, tiny. I'm 5'1 and I was cramped. The seats are "trendy" and they curve up on the edges. Horrible design. Plus in economy it was that gross cloth seating so it was smelly. Ugh.

On the way home the Virgin Atlantic crew were very, uh, curt. The manners were curt and I fell like I was being reprimanded every time I asked for something. Our entertainment system frizzed out on the flight home so there was nothing to watch. The food made me nauseaus (no joke). We were served some kind of fish jelly (or maybe it was fake pate). Ughh.

British Airways:
I thought I'd hate BA, but I flew them last time and the service was good. The planes were bigger and it was kind of like a cattle call but the seats were comfortable. Service was friendly and generally acceptable. Bathrooms were kept clean the entire flight (which wasn't true for AA). Terminal 5 at LHR is amazing. If you connect out of there, you won't be bored.

Lufthansha:
By chance we got that famous $200 (incl tax) airfare to Rome in 2005 while KLM was going through bankruptcy reorganization. Lufthansa flights were comfortable, service adequate but the connection times were horrible and they hub out of Minneapolis and that is a sad airport. Our connection out of AMS was delayed by 5 hours so we sat in that airport for 11 hours. :mad: After that, I consider them unreliable.

Air France: Loved them! Good service, acceptable food. Our luggage took some time coming out but hey, it wasn't that bad.

For our Med cruise next year, we are flying BA going and UA coming back.

Air Berlin codeshares with AA, so make sure if you choose AA you're not actually buying an Air Berlin flight (if you don't choose them). They tend to have long layovers in MUC or BER.

HTH.

Valencia Joe
08-14-2012, 08:33 PM
The mistake we made in 2007 was not checking the weight limit on luggage. We stopped in Paris a few days before the cruise and found a really cheap flight from Paris to Barcelona. When we got to the airport and was checking in, we found out that there were different weight limits for inter-European flights and was confronting a $500 baggage fee (there were four of us). The clerk was really nice and waived the fees because we were traveling with children (then 7 & 3).

NancyIL
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Or maybe too much beer :rotfl:

To the OP, most European airlines are recommended. Avoid any american airlines at all costs!

I use American Airlines miles for my flights to/from Europe, and I prefer to fly American non-stop as far as it will take me. (In May, it was non-stop Chicago to Rome.) My least favorite are connections at London Heathrow. If you use AA miles for your flights, and it involves British Airways through London - BA will charge about $200 pp more (each way) in international taxes than if you are on an American Airlines flight to or from London.

"Missing the boat" is the main reason I would never arrive in Europe the same day my ship sails. Another reason not to do so is jet lag.

kaseyC
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
We usually use United miles on Star Aliance carriers. Our past two years most of our flights have been on Lufthansa. We've always have been fortunate to get great connections usually through Frankfurt or Munich. For next summer we are flying a mix of United and SAS for DH and DD 16 to Copenhagen Me and my youngest two DDs are sailing the Magic to Europe and flying SAS from Barcelona to Copenhagen. All 5 of us will fly home from Copenhagen to Chicago on Lufthansa unless I get lucky and they open up award tickets for the non stop SAS/United code share to Chicago.

tufbuf
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
For those who had layovers in Paris, how often do you lose/miss your luggage?

sayhello
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
When I did the Med in 2010, I flew Iberia airlines (Spanish airline). I really liked them a lot, and the plane & seats were pretty comfortable. Only problem was the entertainment was all in Spanish with subtitles! I highly recommend them! They had the best prices for the itinerary I wanted, too.

Sayhello

Itinkso
08-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Also need to add that Delta code shares with Air France; even though our outbound was a Delta #, we flew on Air France.

NancyIL
08-14-2012, 09:52 PM
We usually use United miles on Star Aliance carriers. Our past two years most of our flights have been on Lufthansa. We've always have been fortunate to get great connections usually through Frankfurt or Munich. For next summer we are flying a mix of United and SAS for DH and DD 16 to Copenhagen Me and my youngest two DDs are sailing the Magic to Europe and flying SAS from Barcelona to Copenhagen. All 5 of us will fly home from Copenhagen to Chicago on Lufthansa unless I get lucky and they open up award tickets for the non stop SAS/United code share to Chicago.

Right now I'm trying to book award tickets to Copenhagen in mid-June. I could book one-ways at the lowest mileage level, but they all involve multiple BA flights and high taxes. I will try to be patient and wait for American to release more award seats on AA flights from Chicago to London (whether non-stop from Chicago or connecting in the US to another AA flight) - then BA from London to Copenhagen. On the other hand, we could fly from Champaign to Chicago to Helsinki (all on American Airlines) for $10 total - then buy Helsinki to Copenhagen tickets on SAS for only a few dollars more than the taxes would be from Champaign to Chicago to London to Copenhagen! Then there are the return flights - oy!

MadHatterMom2
08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
To the OP, we flew Air Berlin in June and loved them. Planes were clean, comfortable, great service, on time, no lost bags. They were just as good as Lufthansa.

Regarding Turkish Air, the crew on our cruise ship this summer (not DCL, but NCL) all flew Turkish Air because they loved the airline vs. any other carrier.

In general, we prefer overseas carriers to U.S. carriers, as others have stated.

woody73
08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
When I did the Med in 2010, I flew Iberia airlines (Spanish airline). I really liked them a lot, and the plane & seats were pretty comfortable. . .
We've had excellent service on Iberia.

Woody

debsters41
08-15-2012, 03:14 AM
When I fly to the US, I shop flights 11 months out. The rates then are the cheapest I have found, but I refuse to look at last minute prices. (I don't want to eat my heart out!)

Swiss.com is a fabulous airline, I have found them to have very competitive rates and they have never lost my luggage, unlike Iberia, Delta and American Airlines. The seats are comfortable and they have seatback entertainment.

duckman17
08-15-2012, 03:40 AM
Thanks for everyones input! I always thought the american run airlines would be preferential but it looks like for about everyone it's better to use the international ones!

disneyholic family
08-15-2012, 04:44 AM
AA often has the cheapest rates...(at least it did last summer)...

check on kayak.com to find the cheapest rate..

often cheaper to book a round trip ticket and then only use one way of the ticket..

all airlines suck - go for the cheapest rate..

woody73
08-15-2012, 07:27 AM
AA often has the cheapest rates...(at least it did last summer). . .
That was before AA filed for bankruptcy in November 2011.

I would be careful about booking with AA. We were booked with AA for after a cruise, and they canceled the flight!

Woody

RedSox68
08-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Love Continental and U.S. Airways. We flew Aer Lingus in 2007 -- JFK to Barcelona with a plane change in Dublin. We loved our flight from US to Dublin. The flight from Dublin to Barcelona........not so much. The crew were very curt and were only interested in selling souvenirs. For a 2+ hour flight they didn't offer any beverages at all, not even water! But I would still fly them again as the longest leg of the journey we were very well taken care of -- lots of food, drinks, snacks and screens in the back of the seats for movies, etc.

CandyMandy
08-15-2012, 07:39 AM
One word: SWISS.

They are run by Lufthansa and therefore the service and stopwatch efficiency are the same (you will get where you are going on time). If you book far enough out, their fares are very competitive. Their Airbus A330s are arguably one of the more comfortable long haul aircraft if you are stuck in coach.

DisneyOHFan
08-15-2012, 08:41 AM
We are flying Delta to Barcelona next June, but basically it is to use FF miles for 2 tickets. We are arriving 2 days early to get adjusted to the time, but also to allow time for our luggage to catch up with us in case it gets lost. I do not want to start out my vacation stressed.

Tracerr00
08-15-2012, 09:15 AM
One word: SWISS.

They are run by Lufthansa and therefore the service and stopwatch efficiency are the same (you will get where you are going on time). If you book far enough out, their fares are very competitive. Their Airbus A330s are arguably one of the more comfortable long haul aircraft if you are stuck in coach.

I agree with this! I used to work for an airline and I am specifically looking for an A330 for the long haul flight. So even if I have to pay a little more to get that plane I will! If I'm on an 8 hour flight I want to be comfy and choose my entertainment. :)

NHdisneylover
08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
I prefer Swiss Air and Lufthansa for international flights. Swiss Air often has very good rates to Barcelona from the east coast.
I agree with the trend that you are seeing that most of the time the European carriers do a nicer job with trans Atlantic flights.

For those who had layovers in Paris, how often do you lose/miss your luggage?
My husband travels about 40 weeks per year for work and flies a lot. Our house rule for vacations now is that it has to be more than 25% cheaper than any other option before we will even consider flying through Paris. We tend to be super budget conscious and travel on the cheap--so that should tell you something:lmao:

debsters41
08-15-2012, 10:49 AM
:rotfl2: Now that I think about it, nearly each time my luggage was lost (delayed, never totally lost thank goodness) it was through Paris CDG... :confused3

abdgeek
08-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Thanks,
Cameron

I just booked my flight on Delta for the DCL Med Cruise next June. Prices had already gone up about $100 from last week, so I wouldn't wait too long to book. I always come in at least a day early when I cruise to minimize any issues with flight delays. I usually book about 11 months out because I only want one layover. The longer you wait to book, the less choice you will have about your itinerary and you will still pay the same price. Once I book my flight, I always go in monthly to make sure that the price doesn't go down for my itinerary. Unfortunately, it never has.

sayhello
08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
:rotfl2: Now that I think about it, nearly each time my luggage was lost (delayed, never totally lost thank goodness) it was through Paris CDG... :confused3I flew out of Paris CDG airport last Fall, and it was one of the WORST airport experiences I have ever had! Lines that never moved, security folks who had no clue, etc. I got to CDG over 3 hours prior to my flight and came within 5 minutes of missing the flight!

Sayhello

CandyMandy
08-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I agree with this! I used to work for an airline and I am specifically looking for an A330 for the long haul flight. So even if I have to pay a little more to get that plane I will! If I'm on an 8 hour flight I want to be comfy and choose my entertainment. :)

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

The other nice thing is the SWISS cabin crews are friendlier and less uptight than their Lufthansa counterparts. That neutral nation legacy I guess!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Swiss_stewardess.jpg/800px-Swiss_stewardess.jpg

fsugirl333
08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
So is it safe to say that most folks don't book airfare through DCL? Is it for financial reason or the flexibility of picking it yourself, or something else?

Thanks in advance :)

DisneyOHFan
08-15-2012, 03:51 PM
So is it safe to say that most folks don't book airfare through DCL? Is it for financial reason or the flexibility of picking it yourself, or something else?

Both

disneyholic family
08-15-2012, 04:02 PM
charles de gaulle airport is famous for being one of the most user unfriendly airports on the planet.... :)

NHdisneylover
08-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Both:thumbsup2

sayhello
08-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Thanks in advance :)Another vote for both!

Sayhello

Kirbo
08-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I just checked flights for us and was totally shocked by the prices! The one-way tickets were strikingly more expensive than round-trip (we're doing the TA and then the first Med). We already signed up for Disney Air. It's getting us to Galveston, then the boat, then home and it's $1174 each. That includes transfers. I was hoping that when flights were released we'd be able to find better prices. Cheapest flights from BCN to home are $995 roundtrip. That doesn't include getting us to Galveston or our transfers. It's on Air Canada. The cheapest one-way is $936 on Icelandair. The next cheapest is $1757 on multiple airlines :faint:.

We're spending more on the flights than on the three weeks of cruising! Wow.

Good thing it's going to be so much fun! pixiedust:

ETA That was just looking at www.kayak.com

woody73
08-15-2012, 05:57 PM

There are two advantages of booking flights through a cruise line. One is if there is a problem getting you to the port in time, they will fly you to the next port to get you onboard.

The second is if there is a problem such as a natural disaster while you are on board, they will assist you to make other arrangements for your return flight. We were on the Disney Magic 2010 eastbound Transatlantic when the Iceland ash clouds caused hundreds of flights to be canceled in Europe. Those who booked air through DCL received flight assistance while onboard. Those who didn't received a memo with the airlines' phone numbers.

On the flip side, flights booked through a cruise line typically do not have the best flight times, connections, or seat assignments. That's often a tough pill to swallow for people who like to plan in advance.

Woody

stlouismickey
08-15-2012, 06:37 PM
We did the Med cruise last year and I don't think the airline mattered to us as much as when we got there. We flew United on miles through Germany. I think getting to Barcelona on Thursday (left Wednesday) was nice so we had plenty of time to tour on Thursday night and all day on Friday. It also put a built in cushion in case something went wrong with our flight.

*Flower*
08-15-2012, 06:42 PM
We are flying Delta to Barcelona next June, but basically it is to use FF miles for 2 tickets. We are arriving 2 days early to get adjusted to the time, but also to allow time for our luggage to catch up with us in case it gets lost. I do not want to start out my vacation stressed.

We flew Delta to Barcelona on award tickets last September to catch the Magic for the WBTA. The OOP price was $80 per ticket because we upgraded to the 'extra leg room' seats. That cost $40 per ticket. The bad news was there were big plastic boxes bolted to the deck that took up all of our 'extra' leg room.

The good news was that as we were in those seats- they were kind of considered 'business' class, and we ended up with a LOT of free alcoholic beverages between Atlanta and Barcelona. :thumbsup2

The crew was amazingly nice also, and kept asking if they could get us more doubles to drink! That's only the second flight that I've ever slept pretty well on.

Enjoy your cruise!!

asemaria
08-16-2012, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE

The good news was that as we were in those seats- they were kind of considered 'business' class, and we ended up with a LOT of free alcoholic beverages between Atlanta and Barcelona. :thumbsup2
[/QUOTE]

:goodvibes Sounds great!

We are always in the "find cheap airlinetickets" mode since we LOVE WDW and live in Europe (Sweden). We always buy the airfair 11 month out because you can get only 1 stop instead of 2 for the same price.

Worst experience? : United Airlines, uncomfortable seats, everything looked old, monitors didn't work and not so nice staff (and the plane was laaaaate) SAS : old planes, and old seats.

Best? : Air Canada was very comfortable and the kids loved the entertainment, lots to choose from. Nice staff
Lufthansa: seats ok, entertainment just ok, but the staff OMG DS 7 got sick on the plane and they were great! They helped us with everything and got us to a doctor at Frankfurt airport. DS got an IV and the Lufthansa staff was great with helping us with getting us to our plane in time.

Mediocre? : the rest, Delta, AA,

When we are cruising in the Med in June next year we are happy that we only get to buy tickets within Europe :goodvibes

DL1957
08-16-2012, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE

:goodvibes Sounds great!

We are always in the "find cheap airlinetickets" mode since we LOVE WDW and live in Europe (Sweden). We always buy the airfair 11 month out because you can When we are cruising in the Med in June next year we are happy that we only get to buy tickets within Europe :goodvibes[/QUOTE]

If you are on the June 15 cruise please join our meet thread.

jel0511
08-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Thanks,
Cameron
didn't read the whole thread, so you might already have an answer. We're going to the Med next summer and just booked our air. We also went to the Med in 2010, so I had a good idea on what I wanted to pay. We paid just under 1,000 a ticket in 2010, so I was trying to keep the fare the same for next year. We ended up paying 1017 per ticket, not too bad IMO. It wasn't worth waiting, since that's around what I was willing to pay. For summer travel that's about the best you're going to do, 1000 per person, based on my prior experience.

duckman17
08-16-2012, 12:56 PM
didn't read the whole thread, so you might already have an answer. We're going to the Med next summer and just booked our air. We also went to the Med in 2010, so I had a good idea on what I wanted to pay. We paid just under 1,000 a ticket in 2010, so I was trying to keep the fare the same for next year. We ended up paying 1017 per ticket, not too bad IMO. It wasn't worth waiting, since that's around what I was willing to pay. For summer travel that's about the best you're going to do, 1000 per person, based on my prior experience.

What airline are you flying?

jel0511
08-16-2012, 02:12 PM
What airline are you flying?

US Air out of PHL

fsugirl333
08-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks everyone, I think we will book ourselves. We want to spend a few days in Barcelona before the cruise anyways. :woohoo:

StephenKay
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Hi there,

We live in the north of Scotland and have travelled numerous times across the atlantic to WDW and also to europe and Barcelona to pickup DCL cruises, many of the airlines such as BA/Virgin Atlantic are good however all airlines can go badly wrong. Please dont make the mistake I did last year for the WBTA, due to work commitments for my wife and I we travelled from our home and flew south to London and overnighted at a local airport then flew to Barcelona the next day, the baggage was checked through although didn't arrive. So basically we had no clothes only what was in our carry ons and some of my medication. We had a huge fight at the check in because I didn't want to set off as it seemed hopeless to me to do the journey, in the end we boarded after DCL ran us to a supermarket to get emergency clothes. Unfortunately the place didn't have much and another 3 couples were in the same situation having used delta and air berlin, in fact 47 people were affected. We did get our bags back days later in Maderia and thanks to some friends it didnt totally ruin the cruise, although we are scared for life.

The moral of the story is please spilt your clothes between bags and remember to overpack medication using any airline and give yourself at least a day or preferably 2 days in Barcelona before departing. If I were you I would use BA.

collectoraholic
08-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I've been looking at flight options for us for the past few days for our June Med Cruise. We'll be flying from Houston to Barcelona and I'm hoping to fly on Swiss Air, as they are one of the Star Alliance partners w/ United and my husband and I are both Platinum FFs on United, so hopefully that will help us to get upgraded. Having to do a little shuffling b/c if I book on Swiss from IAH to BCN, it puts us on United flights. But if I do it thru their multi-flight booking, I can route us thru Chicago and get us on the Swiss Air flight for the overseas portion, which is what I want. Found a *decent* price, so I'm waiting on my husband to get home so we can discuss it.

debsters41
08-17-2012, 06:11 AM
I've been looking at flight options for us for the past few days for our June Med Cruise. We'll be flying from Houston to Barcelona and I'm hoping to fly on Swiss Air, as they are one of the Star Alliance partners w/ United and my husband and I are both Platinum FFs on United, so hopefully that will help us to get upgraded. Having to do a little shuffling b/c if I book on Swiss from IAH to BCN, it puts us on United flights. But if I do it thru their multi-flight booking, I can route us thru Chicago and get us on the Swiss Air flight for the overseas portion, which is what I want. Found a *decent* price, so I'm waiting on my husband to get home so we can discuss it.

If it will help 'sweeten' the deal... Swiss gives out a piece of chocolate at the end of each flight and sometimes gives premium ice cream after dinner! :cool1:

disneyholic family
08-17-2012, 06:21 AM
on the flip side, i have to be in the US for my october conference in orlando followed by my 4 night dream cruise..
i still haven't bought an airline ticket... :eek:

my fear of flying slows me down....once i buy it, i know i actually have to get on that plane..

eventually i'll buy something...whatever seat is still available to get me to the other side of the atlantic :)

asemaria
08-17-2012, 08:03 AM
[/QUOTE]

If you are on the June 15 cruise please join our meet thread.[/QUOTE]

I am on June 8 cruise, but thank you for thinking of me. :goodvibes
I have already joined "my" meet thread. Now to think about FE-gifts :rolleyes1

DisneyOHFan
08-17-2012, 08:04 AM
If you are on the June 15 cruise please join our meet thread.[/QUOTE]

I am on June 8 cruise, but thank you for thinking of me. :goodvibes
I have already joined "my" meet thread. Now to think about FE-gifts :rolleyes1[/QUOTE]

Yippee!!!1 :)

collectoraholic
08-17-2012, 10:36 AM
If it will help 'sweeten' the deal... Swiss gives out a piece of chocolate at the end of each flight and sometimes gives premium ice cream after dinner! :cool1:

S~O~L~D~! :rotfl:

I love me some chocolate and ice cream! :upsidedow

Even though we'll have to make 2 more stops if we do the flight route to get us on Swiss Air, I think we're going to do it. One b/c of what everyone here has said about them and their service. & Two b/c we can fly from BCN to Zurich and stay for a few days to tour around Zurich and then fly home and it will only add a few hundred dollars to the total cost of the flights (IAH to BCN) to do it. :thumbsup2 So this weekend we're going to research to make sure that we'd really want to go to Zurich (can't imagine why we wouldn't want to tour there) and then see about getting our tickets! :dance3:

Thanks everyone! :yay:

woody73
08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
. . . we can fly from BCN to Zurich and stay for a few days to tour around Zurich and then fly home
In May we traveled through Switzerland for over two weeks and loved it.

We like the chocolates at Laderach, which has many shops. Link (http://www.laederach.ch/home.html)

If you stay in Zurich, I recommend a day trip to Lucerne (Luzern). It's only one hour by train.

Woody

tajz90
08-17-2012, 10:57 AM

We like the chocolates at Laderach, which has many shops. Link (http://www.laederach.ch/home.html)

If you stay in Zurich, I recommend a day trip to Lucerne (Luzern). It's only one hour by train.

Woody

I want info on Switzerland :) we ate planning on a trip there after the med next year for a few days and thought Zurich will be our spot. Can we do a couple of diff day trips? What would you suggest?

collectoraholic
08-17-2012, 11:06 AM

Woody

Thanks so much for the info, Woody. :thumbsup2 I really appreciate it & we'll definitely look into that day trip option to Lucerne. :)

CandyMandy
08-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I want info on Switzerland :) we ate planning on a trip there after the med next year for a few days and thought Zurich will be our spot. Can we do a couple of diff day trips? What would you suggest?

I lived in Switzerland for several years after college. My short list:

The Lac Leman (better known as Lake Geneva) region - specifically the Canton of Vaud. What is arguably the greatest medieval castle experience in Europe is there, at the Château de Chillon near Montreux. The steam boat ride there from any of the cities and villages along the lake is just heaven:

http://www.globeimages.net/data/media/208/Chateau_De_Chillon_Castle_Montreux_Switzerland.jpg

Locarno, in the south central section of the country, right along the Italian border. The Swiss version of the Riveria, complete with palm trees:

http://www.patletendre.com/swiss-page5-2001/park-locarno.jpg

The train ride from Zermatt to St. Moritz. Generally agreed upon to be the most spectacular mountain train route on earth. Almost 8 hours long, but worth every moment. The only thing that comes close to this in the US is the Durango Silverton narrow gauge in Colorado -and having done both, the Swiss experience is better.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HQhNUNo0vYA/TZYF16z9YJI/AAAAAAAAe60/fCP7sex929g/s1600/glacier-express-train.jpg

Wegen: small village in the central part of the country, at over 4,000 foot elevation. If you really want the get the authentic, immersive sense of where the whole Heidi "narrative" came from, here it is.

http://www.touristmaker.com/images/switzerland/Postcard-Landscape-swiss-alps.jpg

collectoraholic
08-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Great pics, CandyMandy! Do you have any specific info/things to not miss in Zurich? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. We'll probably be there from late afternoon/early evening on a Tuesday until Friday (maybe Monday if the budget can handle it). Will there be enough for us to do to feel like we're getting our monies worth?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup2

tajz90
08-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Great pics, CandyMandy! Do you have any specific info/things to not miss in Zurich? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. We'll probably be there from late afternoon/early evening on a Tuesday until Friday (maybe Monday if the budget can handle it). Will there be enough for us to do to feel like we're getting our monies worth?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup2

Hoping to do specifically that area and day trips from there too. We are thinking maybe only 3 days.... Maybe 4 if we can fit it in.

CandyMandy
08-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Hoping to do specifically that area and day trips from there too. We are thinking maybe only 3 days.... Maybe 4 if we can fit it in.

Collectoraholic and Tajz90: I have a trip file on Zurich I put together for our two days there prior to our DCL cruise last summer. I will see if I can upload it and PM both of you with the link.

As a preview of what you will see, Zurich is nice -but not really representative of the country; it's the financial center and much more urbane in feel than what you experience when you get into more rural areas. So I would recommend thinking of it as a base for some excursions, which are easy given Zurich is a rail hub and the Swiss train networks are excellent. And a warning - Zurich was also just rated as one of the most expensive cities in the world, so get ready for some sticker shock if you are looking at hotels there!

collectoraholic
08-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Collectoraholic and Tajz90: I have a trip file on Zurich I put together for our two days there prior to our DCL cruise last summer. I will see if I can upload it and PM both of you with the link.

As a preview of what you will see, Zurich is nice -but not really representative of the country; it's the financial center and much more urbane in feel than what you experience when you get into more rural areas. So I would recommend thinking of it as a base for some excursions, which are easy given Zurich is a rail hub and the Swiss train networks are excellent. And a warning - Zurich was also just rated as one of the most expensive cities in the world, so get ready for some sticker shock if you are looking at hotels there!

Thanks CandyMandy, that'd be great! I look forward to seeing your trip file on Zurich, as I'm sure it'd give us a better idea if it'd be worth it to spend our $ to go there after our cruise vs. going elsewhere. :)

tajz90
08-17-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks :) we were planning on staying there, but I'm open to other suggestions.... :$

CandyMandy
08-17-2012, 02:39 PM
As another preview, here's a map of Switzerland showing all the rail lines. To give you and idea of travel times, from Zurich to Luzern is about an hour. To Bern (the capital) is about two hours. To get all the way down to Montreux on Lake Geneva is about three and a half hours.

http://www.alleuroperail.com/eurorailway-maps/swiss-rail-map-lg.gif

collectoraholic
08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks CM--Just a quick question. Would it be better to maybe to go Geneva instead of Zurich? I'll check Swiss Air and see if our travel plans could take us from Barcelona to Geneva and then back to Houston instead of Zurich for about the same price, jic it is.

tajz90
08-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks CM--Just a quick question. Would it be better to maybe to go Geneva instead of Zurich? I'll check Swiss Air and see if our travel plans could take us from Barcelona to Geneva and then back to Houston instead of Zurich for about the same price, jic it is.

We are flying from Houston too. I can fly where needed :) thanks

CandyMandy
08-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Would depend on the airfare difference - I sense Swiss gives the best prices for flying into or through their main Zurich hub. Being based in Geneva would probably impact your experience in both positive and negative ways: on the one hand, being right in the Lac Leman region, which is a journey in and of itself; between Geneva, Lausanne and Montreux, you could easily eat up 2-3 days (and in the process would be getting to know the below form of transport very well). The downside is it would be more train travel to get up into the central and western regions where the real dramatic alpine terrain and beauty is.

http://genevalunch.com/files/2010/06/la_suisse_belle_epoque_steamboat_lake_geneva_2010. jpg

LAWalz23
08-18-2012, 02:50 PM
We are planning for next August and never being to Europe, will hotels hold your bags for the day as the flights we have looked at get in in the morning? And what time is typical of check in in Barcelona.

LAWalz23
08-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Adding to the above questions, what time is the earliest to fly back to the US from Barcelona?

abdgeek
08-18-2012, 06:12 PM
We are planning for next August and never being to Europe, will hotels hold your bags for the day as the flights we have looked at get in in the morning? And what time is typical of check in in Barcelona.

When you land, go straight to your hotel and check-in. If the room is not ready, you can leave your bag with bell services. My room was ready when I got to the hotel at 9am and I was allowed to check-in. Now this was one of the DCL hotels, but I had made my own reservation. Not sure if that made a difference.

Depending on your airline, flights from Barcelona seem to be leaving starting at 9:30am or so.

duckman17
08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
We were able to get some nice tickets with miles going from LAX to Paris in business class on Air France. I know the horror stories of bags getting lost in CDG but I'm really hoping it doesn't happen to us.

carpenta
08-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Adding to the above questions, what time is the earliest to fly back to the US from Barcelona?

According to Disney don't book before 12:30 P.M. for return. This will leave ALL the direct flights off the list of return flights from Barcelona to the U.S. You will have to overnight if you want a flight BEFORE 12:30 P.M. Plus there are NO direct flights for the east coast after noon out of Barcelona. We have booked a 2013 cruise out of Barcelona on DCL and now will probably have to cancel because we cannot afford (time wise) that extra day.:mad:

DisneyOHFan
08-19-2012, 06:55 PM
According to Disney don't book before 12:30 P.M. for return. This will leave ALL the direct flights off the list of return flights from Barcelona to the U.S. You will have to overnight if you want a flight BEFORE 12:30 P.M. Plus there are NO direct flights for the east coast after noon out of Barcelona. We have booked a 2013 cruise out of Barcelona on DCL and now will probably have to cancel because we cannot afford (time wise) that extra day.:mad:

Our flight is scheduled for 11:40. We called DCL and they suggested getting a private car service and it shouldn't be a problem. There are a few threads that talk about previous Med cruises catching flights as early as 10:30 AM, but they suggest taking your own bags off

carpenta
08-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Our flight is scheduled for 11:40. We called DCL and they suggested getting a private car service and it shouldn't be a problem. There are a few threads that talk about previous Med cruises catching flights as early as 10:30 AM, but they suggest taking your own bags off

Yes we cruised in 2010 and our flight went out @11:00 A.M. and we had plenty of time.We also had Disney transfers to boot. BUT Disney told us that they would not be responsible for any problem that may occur if you miss any flight made before 12:30.Disney said that the City of Barcelona put into effect the policy of time for flights. In 2010 we hit a bad storm returning to Barcelona and were in panic mode we would miss the flight. :crazy2:

Cousin Orville
08-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Our flight last yr (after the DCL Med) was 11:55a. We took a Disney transfer that morning and had plenty of time. Anything before 11:30 would make me nervous.

debsters41
08-20-2012, 02:49 AM

transferring in Europe won't add that many hours if you want to be safe on time but not cancel.

carpenta
08-20-2012, 06:56 AM
transferring in Europe won't add that many hours if you want to be safe on time but not cancel.

Yes we feel that in Europe the airports are very easy to transfer (at least the airports we have used). BUT the same direct flight that would usually take 8.5 hours would take 20 hours for us if we select a flight that has transfers included. :confused3:)

debsters41
08-20-2012, 07:49 AM
The best I could find to fly to Vermont is leaving BCN at 11:55 and flying for 15 hours with two layovers... not exactly ideal....

:sad1:

cntclark
10-10-2012, 09:00 PM
We arent flying out until the last trip in Aug. to the MED but have seen a lot of flights traveling aircanada. Has anyone flown them into Europe? We werent planning to fly out until that fri afternoon arriving at 715am the morning of the cruise. Am a little worried after reading posts of getting delayed or cancelled. Anyone shed some light on this?

glassslipper2004
10-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Subbing - not sure when to buy tickets...

collectoraholic
10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
We arent flying out until the last trip in Aug. to the MED but have seen a lot of flights traveling aircanada. Has anyone flown them into Europe? We werent planning to fly out until that fri afternoon arriving at 715am the morning of the cruise. Am a little worried after reading posts of getting delayed or cancelled. Anyone shed some light on this?

I definitely wouldn't take a flight that would get me into BCN the morning of the sailing. No way, no how. Add to the risk of delay(s) the jetlag factor, I'd get in to Barcelona at least two days before the cruise sets sail.

To let you know, whenever we've flown Air Canada, it's always been a good flight w/ great crew.:thumbsup2

HTHs! Happy sailing! :sail:

collectoraholic
10-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Subbing - not sure when to buy tickets...

Buy when the fares that come up when you price it out are an amount you are comfortable paying. :thumbsup2

AngelDisney
10-13-2012, 10:49 PM
I am flying out from Toronto and usually take Air Canada. However, the trip to Europe for 20 days including the 7-Day Med Cruise in August needs $$$. After doing some research, I have decided to try Air Transat and save $700 for two pp. $700 means more tours and excursions during the trip. Just booked tickets today and paid $160 extra for seats with more leg room and width.It's direct flight both ways from Toronto to Paris then Barcelona to Toronto. I would not want to take the risk of missing a connecting flight since it's only DD and me. Now I need to research on European flights between cities I will be visiting before the cruise.

Pixie dust everyone! Have fun planning!!

cntclark
10-14-2012, 08:57 AM
I am flying out from Toronto and usually take Air Canada. However, the trip to Europe for 20 days including the 7-Day Med Cruise in August needs $$$. After doing some research, I have decided to try Air Transat and save $700 for two pp. $700 means more tours and excursions during the trip. Just booked tickets today and paid $160 extra for seats with more leg room and width.It's direct flight both ways from Toronto to Paris then Barcelona to Toronto. I would not want to take the risk of missing a connecting flight since it's only DD and me. Now I need to research on European flights between cities I will be visiting before the cruise.

Pixie dust everyone! Have fun planning!!

For travel within Europe i heard Easyjet.com was cheap and good. Some of the flights were like 16-100 euro one way from city to city :)

jel0511
10-14-2012, 09:26 AM
For travel within Europe i heard Easyjet.com was cheap and good. Some of the flights were like 16-100 euro one way from city to city :)

True, but they slam you on the baggage fees........:scared1::scared1::scared1:

holula
10-14-2012, 09:36 AM
True, but they slam you on the baggage fees........:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Well, slam is more relative. I love Easyjet. I just take carry on. If there are two of you travelling, try and pack one large suitcase and two small ones so you can carry on most of your luggage and only have to pay for one checked bag. Their baggage fees are no worse than US carriers and they are very cheap.

Easyjet accept normal size carry on unlike a lot of other low cost airlines that have smaller carry on dimensions too. WizzAir/Ryanair you have to have a smaller bag to carry on than Easyjet.

sayhello
10-14-2012, 09:54 AM
We arent flying out until the last trip in Aug. to the MED but have seen a lot of flights traveling aircanada. Has anyone flown them into Europe? We werent planning to fly out until that fri afternoon arriving at 715am the morning of the cruise. Am a little worried after reading posts of getting delayed or cancelled. Anyone shed some light on this?First, I totally agree with the PP who said that you really, REALLY should not fly that far expecting to arrive the morning of the cruise. There are SO MANY things that can go wrong with flights, especially international flights. The chances of you missing your cruise is huge. And the jet lag *is* awful. I flew overnight to Barcelona, and arrived early in the morning of the day prior to the cruise. I was dead for most of the day, and all my plans to see Barcelona went out the window. If you want to know crazy circumstances, I came *that* close to having Barcelona airport closed when I flew due to that volcano in Iceland. And DCL said "The cruise is still going. So sorry if you miss it!"

For your question, I flew Air Canada to London last year, and it was a perfectly fine flight. I flew a small plane from Ohio to Toronto, and then Toronto to London. The flight was on time, and pretty unremarkable, which is a good thing. In fact, there was a hurricane heading up the East Coast, and a lot of flights got canceled, and the only reason I wasn't delayed is because I was flying out of Toronto instead of JFK.

I'd fly Air Canada again.

Sayhello

kventventx
10-14-2012, 10:36 AM
We are on the 12 night June 27 cruise. We are coming from California and are flying into London the week before. We are flying British Airways. BA has changed the flights on us already twice and want us to pay for new seat assignments every time they change the flights. Luckily I booked the air through our travel agent and they have been battling BA for us so we don't have to keep paying extra fees. After looking at hotel prices in Barcelona prior to the cruise it wasn't that much more to get a flat in London for the week. We are flying into Barcelona early Thursday morning and have been assured we will have lots of time to make it to the ship. Using Disney transport from BCN to the ship. On the return, since there isn't a flight out of BCN after the 12:30 cut off we are again flying to London and then from there to the US. London had more flights out later in the day.

Four Bears
10-14-2012, 12:32 PM
I just purchased travel insurance, and the policy specifically EXCLUDED Virgin Air due to ?bankruptcy issues. The policy that we bought through ***************** was CSA, so I can't vouch that all policies will be effected.

jennypenny
10-14-2012, 02:00 PM
For your question, I flew Air Canada to London last year, and it was a perfectly fine flight. I flew a small plane from Ohio to Toronto, and then Toronto to London. The flight was on time, and pretty unremarkable, which is a good thing. In fact, there was a hurricane heading up the East Coast, and a lot of flights got canceled, and the only reason I wasn't delayed is because I was flying out of Toronto instead of JFK.

Sayhello

We flew Air Canada last year to Vancouver for the DCL Alaska cruise. We were happy with them also. We were able to book an Air Canada flight through Continental's website with Continental miles which made it an even better deal.

canadakath
10-14-2012, 04:32 PM

Keep in mind that the direct Air Canada flight from Toronto to Barcelona may NOT be on one of the more updated aircrafts. From their website:
Please note: New cabin interior - featuring personal touch-screen TVs or lie-flat Executive First Suites - is not available on three B767-300 (763) aircraft that operate flights between Canada and certain international locations, including:
Athens (ATH), Greece
Barcelona (BCN) and Madrid (MAD), Spain
Cancun (CUN), Mexico
Dublin (DUB), Ireland
Maui/Kahului (OGG) and Oahu/Honolulu (HNL), Hawaii
Montego Bay (MBJ), Jamaica,
Varadero (VRA), Cuba
The above list is subject to change without prior notice. Please select Layouts 4 or 5 at left to view details on these aircraft.
I personally hate flying Air Canada within Canada for many historical mishaps, but internationally they do OK. And just being able to fly direct with two kids is worth it - they have enough of their own electronics to not need the better TVs and don't need to lay flat to get comfy! I would much rather an 8 hour travel time instead of 15!

tajz90
10-15-2012, 10:01 AM

It's frustrating. I started looking for air and most flights that I've seen leave at 11:55 am. :(

Anal Annie
10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
First, I totally agree with the PP who said that you really, REALLY should not fly that far expecting to arrive the morning of the cruise. There are SO MANY things that can go wrong with flights, especially international flights. The chances of you missing your cruise is huge. And the jet lag *is* awful. I flew overnight to Barcelona, and arrived early in the morning of the day prior to the cruise. I was dead for most of the day, and all my plans to see Barcelona went out the window. If you want to know crazy circumstances, I came *that* close to having Barcelona airport closed when I flew due to that volcano in Iceland. And DCL said "The cruise is still going. So sorry if you miss it!"

Sayhello

I agree 100 times +. Just let me expand on this bit. We flew Air France for our big European adventure last summer. Everything was WONDERUL going over. The meals. The service. We were on one of the giant Airbus A380's that holds over 500 pax - very cool. We did our days in Paris then moved on to Barcelona...again, no problems. Come time to go home and the sky falls. We made it back to Paris from Barcelona OK - but we only had 1 hour to go thru customs again and get to our new gate so it was a REAL PUSH and we JUST got to the gate as they announced a 45 min. delay. WHEW. THEN after the 45 minutes were up our flight was CANCELLED!! OMG WHAT A MESS!! Air France was horrible, horrible, horrbile. NO communication to the passengers - and there were 500 of us (again supposed to be on an Airbus A380) and let me tell you some of them got pretty out of control and they had to call security to remove some people. It was UGLY. It took hours and HOURS to sort out. They eventually put all of us up in 'el cheapo 1 star hotels there at the airport for the night and I was sooo glad we'd packed clean clothes and toiletries in our carry-ons (many others had NOT).

NOW, here's the part you want to pay attention to and why you should NEVER plan to go the day of. We had used a parking voucher that I bought on Groupon to park at a Hampton Inn hotel near Dulles airport - and we had a hang tag in the window which gave our return date. So now I was in a panic over would they tow us or what if we didn't come back on time. So for peace of mind I had to make an international call to the hotel to explain what had happened & to say please don't tow us. WELL, wouldn't you know that because OUR FLIGHT was cancelled they also cancelled the outbound US flight too that was to come back over to Paris because THERE WOULD BE NO PLANE!!! :scared1: So the hotel was aware of the situation because Air France was also using them to house the displaced customers on this side of the pond! I just kept thinking how lucky we were that this hadn't happened to us to START our trip. While it was a crappy way to END it - it would've been worse to have had our first flight out cancelled! I was also thankful that we had planned on having several days in Europe before the cruise. I would've been SICK to my stomach had we planned on flying in the day of cruise and this had happened.

ALWAYS fly in an extra day or two in advance!! Regardless of the airline. Crap happens. Flights get cancelled. People get screwed. Don't let it be you!!!

AngelDisney
10-15-2012, 05:21 PM

We are arriving at Paris about two weeks before the cruise. Will spend 5 nights in Paris and then 4 nights in Vienna before going to Barcelona for 3 nights. I totally agree that going in early is a safer choice. The morning of can be hectic if anything goes wrong. I have a 2:00 pm flight back to Toronto on the disembarkation day. I should have enough time to catch the flight.

Easyjet unfortunately does not fly to Vienna from Paris. I have been checking Niki and I think they don't charge the 1st checked baggage but Air Berlin does.

I am not sure when I should book these flights within Europe for better deals. I did check out the train option and I think flying is a better option for me.

This is so different from planning a WDW or a DLR trip. Feeling very anxious!

Pixis dust everyone! Have fun planning!!

NancyIL
10-15-2012, 05:26 PM
It's frustrating. I started looking for air and most flights that I've seen leave at 11:55 am. :(

I wouldn't have a problem booking an 11:55 a.m flight from BCN.

holula
10-15-2012, 05:30 PM
We are arriving at Paris about two weeks before the cruise. Will spend 5 nights in Paris and then 4 nights in Vienna before going to Barcelona for 3 nights. I totally agree that going in early is a safer choice. The morning of can be hectic if anything goes wrong. I have a 2:00 pm flight back to Toronto on the disembarkation day. I should have enough time to catch the flight.

Easyjet unfortunately does not fly to Vienna from Paris. I have been checking Niki and I think they don't charge the 1st checked baggage but Air Berlin does.

I am not sure when I should book these flights within Europe for better deals. I did check out the train option and I think flying is a better option for me.

This is so different from planning a WDW or a DLR trip. Feeling very anxious!

Pixis dust everyone! Have fun planning!!

For flights within Europe book as early as you can ESPECIALLY on something like Easyjet (or any other budget airline). I love Vienna, it's a beautiful city. :)

debsters41
10-16-2012, 12:53 AM
I second pp's advice about booking as early as possible within Europe. Telephone representatives of a couple of European carriers all advised me as such while I was finalizing my plans for next summer.

Have a wonderful vacation!

AngelDisney
10-16-2012, 03:41 AM
For flights within Europe book as early as you can ESPECIALLY on something like Easyjet (or any other budget airline). I love Vienna, it's a beautiful city. :)

I second pp's advice about booking as early as possible within Europe. Telephone representatives of a couple of European carriers all advised me as such while I was finalizing my plans for next summer.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Thanks for the heads up! I will do that ASAP. :thumbsup2

NHdisneylover
10-16-2012, 04:11 AM
Personally, we find flights within continental Europe to be generally at their lowest about 2 1/2 to 3 months out. We have been successful getting just about anywhere (including London actually) for 99 Euro round trip on a major carrier with luggage included that way.
Just as in the US though--you can never be sure.