PDA

View Full Version : Car Return at Port Canaveral

smudge
08-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi I would just like to ask all you DCL vets out there a basic question about car drop off.

I have carried out a search for this but didn’t really come up with an answer…so here goes.

Our family are coming over from the UK to do a ‘Surf’n’Turf’ Holiday where one week is in Orlando the other is on the Fantasy and my question is about getting to the Port.

We have a hire car and will have to drop it off at the port however how far is the drop off/car hire office from the Disney Terminal? We are travelling with Virgin and all I know about the car at the moment is that it has 7 seats! Virgin usually use Alamo so I would guess its one of their cars.

Now do I have to drop the car off and get a shuttle to the terminal with my family and luggage, or can I drop them off first and then do the car and join them later. The main reason is I don’t really want to drag my 79 year old mother, who is with us, to the car drop off and shuttle it back. I think it would be better if I could drop her off first, is this possible.

A rather long winded way of asking a question but many thanks in advance…….

chrisd596
08-14-2012, 02:16 PM
You can drop off your luggage and passengers first at the Port depending on your assigned drop off time. Most of the car rental company's are located about 10-15 minutes away on Astronaut Blvd. Easy to get to. You will have to wait about 15-20 for a shuttle back to Port.

Pretty convenient. One trick is to give one person in your party your passport to check you in, but you will need to show another photo id, like a drivers license for you to get into dcl waiting area.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Capt_BJ
08-14-2012, 04:51 PM
usually use Alamo

technically there is no ALAMO location in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach

however if you search the ALAMO site they will point you to the Cape Canav' Enterprise location and their shuttle van DOES carry both logos. The building only says Enterprise so don't be concerned . . .

chrisd596
08-14-2012, 08:02 PM
I am using Alamo this year. Last year used Dollar and it was just ok on returning you to port ... 1/2 wait. The people that were being picked up by Dollar at the port and renting a car to go to disney or a/port the line was incredibly long at their location.

Year before that used Budget and it was a much better experience. But this could all be related to how many cruise ships are in the port at that time.

How was your experience using the Enterprise (Alamo) car return and shuttle back to the port??

Thanks
Chris

racingfandj
08-15-2012, 12:32 AM
We did what you are describing...dropped off DH, kids and luggage and mom and I returned cars (we had two). It was good because rental car shuttle was pretty full; however, we were able to get on first one leaving as it was just us and 1 bag each. If we had luggage or more people, we would not have made that shuttle and would have waited 30+ minutes longer.

It was our first time, so DH and kids waited outside in dropoff area for us to return. I do not think there is a place for anyone to sit down. I've asked in antoher post, but maybe there's a process for families to go through initial security checks separated? I'm not sure and couldn't give DH directions, so we all went through together.

smudge
08-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Many thanks for your replies...

I'll look at dropping them off first and then I do the car alone...

Cheers :)

chrisd596
08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
The others in your party, when dropped off can go directly up the elevator and do all the check in steps, including getting your boarding number.... Then all you will have to do is show a photo id and you can get your room key as well.

Chris