PDA

View Full Version : Swan Resort questions

tkbbmom
08-13-2012, 11:54 AM
We began planning a trip for Dec. for our family of 6 (3 adults and kids 9, 14, 16). We just found out we have the option for the following but we've never not stayed at a Disney resort - w/ the exception of a quick one day trip.

The package would be:
Swan resort room w/ 2 queens, mini-fridge, coffee maker,etc. for $168.75 a night which includes resort fee/parking fee -- obviously we'd need two rooms.

8 day park hopper tickets w/ the 8 plus options (this is the water-park, quest) for $228.00 per person -- my understanding is that these aren't tied to our room keys bec of the special rate, but that we would still get the Early park admission w/ staying at the Swan.

I'm thinking this would be a good rate - am I correct?

We have options to add other events also at discounts - Cirque De Soleil, Sea World, Universal, etc. we would be more likely to do those w/ the great rates than if we were paying the higher rates at the Disney resorts. Any opinions on the extras?

It's during Free Dining - but my understanding is free dining isn't part of Swan.

We always like the re-fillable mugs - I'm not seeing if those are available at Swan - anyone know?

My little one wants to know if we'll still have the Disney programming on the TV like in the resorts?

I've been trying to read through the 70+ pages on the Swan thread to get more info and other Swan threads. It seems many really like the Swan, but others don't have the love for it since it's not Disney. My dh teases that I'm a Disneypod - I admit it's a little hard to think of no Mickey icons throughout the resort - but the price sure seems right.

The other resorts we're looking at are AK villas or Key West villas -- we've also considered a couple rooms at mods or deluxe. Our other quotes we've received have been bet/ $7500-10,250.

cjsm&d
08-13-2012, 12:16 PM
We began planning a trip for Dec. for our family of 6 (3 adults and kids 9, 14, 16). We just found out we have the option for the following but we've never not stayed at a Disney resort - w/ the exception of a quick one day trip.

The package would be:
Swan resort room w/ 2 queens, mini-fridge, coffee maker,etc. for $168.75 a night which includes resort fee/parking fee -- obviously we'd need two rooms.

8 day park hopper tickets w/ the 8 plus options (this is the water-park, quest) for $228.00 per person -- my understanding is that these aren't tied to our room keys bec of the special rate, but that we would still get the Early park admission w/ staying at the Swan.

I'm thinking this would be a good rate - am I correct?

We have options to add other events also at discounts - Cirque De Soleil, Sea World, Universal, etc. we would be more likely to do those w/ the great rates than if we were paying the higher rates at the Disney resorts. Any opinions on the extras?

It's during Free Dining - but my understanding is free dining isn't part of Swan.

We always like the re-fillable mugs - I'm not seeing if those are available at Swan - anyone know?

My little one wants to know if we'll still have the Disney programming on the TV like in the resorts?

I've been trying to read through the 70+ pages on the Swan thread to get more info and other Swan threads. It seems many really like the Swan, but others don't have the love for it since it's not Disney. My dh teases that I'm a Disneypod - I admit it's a little hard to think of no Mickey icons throughout the resort - but the price sure seems right.

The other resorts we're looking at are AK villas or Key West villas -- we've also considered a couple rooms at mods or deluxe. Our other quotes we've received have been bet/ $7500-10,250.

There is a really good thread on here with everything you need to know about the Swan.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2904771

I think that price is terrific! Just for the location alone.

amberpi
08-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Swan has the same programming fordisney plus more normal channels.

Not sure on the refillable mugs because it's not something we'd use (unless it came with wine:), but I think not. I've just never seen big refill stations... Take that with a pillar of salt

No dining plan, but yes on emhs.

Where are you finding that price on park hoppers? It's amazing!

You will love the swan. Have a wonderful vacation!

amberpi
08-13-2012, 12:35 PM
I want to assure you that the hotel is magical, just more subdued and honestly a little more upmarket feeling than even the gf to me. It's very beautiful, just less garishly Disney, but I feel like I get plenty of that at the parks and the swan is a bit more relaxing.

pjredhead
08-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Park Hoppers $228 for 8 days. How did you get that? Did I miss something?

vicki_c
08-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Park Hoppers $228 for 8 days. How did you get that? Did I miss something?

Something about that seems wrong. An adult ticket of that type costs almost $400.

tkbbmom
08-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I want to assure you that the hotel is magical, just more subdued and honestly a little more upmarket feeling than even the gf to me. It's very beautiful, just less garishly Disney, but I feel like I get plenty of that at the parks and the swan is a bit more relaxing.

I'm assuming they decorate for Christmas like the WDW resorts. Relaxing I like!

The park hopper deal and rates are through a group for homeschool families. We were ready to book when I someone on another board asked if we were going w/ the group w/ the discounted prices. So, I had to go check it out.

TDC Nala
08-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Swan/Dolphin has their own refillable mugs, they are for use only at the Swan/Dolphin and you can bring them back. They do not have a Disney design. They can be purchased at Picabu at the Dolphin.

The tickets sound like they may be Y.E.S. tickets, especially since this is being booked through a homeschooling group. If any of the kids are going to group classes through Disney that is probably what they are.

If you are at the Swan, you would not be able to have your tickets tied to your room keys anyway, as the Swan/Dolphin are not Disney resorts. The Disney Dining Plan is not available at the Swan or Dolphin, free or paid.

tkbbmom
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Swan/Dolphin has their own refillable mugs, they are for use only at the Swan/Dolphin and you can bring them back. They do not have a Disney design. They can be purchased at Picabu at the Dolphin.

The tickets sound like they may be Y.E.S. tickets, especially since this is being booked through a homeschooling group. If any of the kids are going to group classes through Disney that is probably what they are.

If you are at the Swan, you would not be able to have your tickets tied to your room keys anyway, as the Swan/Dolphin are not Disney resorts. The Disney Dining Plan is not available at the Swan or Dolphin, free or paid.

I'm okay w/ the mugs not having Disney characters - we have a number of them anyway. Last few times we went I didn't like that they weren't themed to your resort but all look alikes. The kids just like the ability to walk over and get drinks whenever they want - like they don't at home anyway.

I don't know what Y.E.S. is so I'm not sure. For the deal each school age child is required to attend one class - they are 2-3 hours in length - so it's probably the Y.E.S. tickets you're referring to.

vicki_c
08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Yes, those are YES tickets. Now I understand. That's good,I was afraid you had made an expensive miscalculation somewhere.

jeankeri
08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
We have stayed at The Dolphin twice- bit of a different vibe, but you still get park transportation (no ME though, so have to figure out transportation to the resort if you are flying into MCO). The pool area is very nice (shared with Swan)- it is still my boys favorite.

cannonboys
08-13-2012, 05:07 PM
In June, we decided to add an extra day to our trip and stayed at the Swan for one night before we began our vacation at SSR. We had never stayed there before and always heard great things about it. We are strictly Disney Resort people and thought this is "on property" and thought, what the heck. We were not happy AT ALL!! The beds were very comfortable, the lighting in the bathroom was dim and small! It didn't have the Disney feel especially when you have convention guests everywhere. I missed the food court area and it wasn't all about Disney because they also had Nickelodeon on the TV, at least we didn't see the Disney promo with Stacy. I didn't like the fact that we had to pay to park. But, we DID LOVE the convenience to Hollywood Studios via boat.

It's tough because it is a good room rate, but if you've always stayed on Disney property, then you'll feel a huge difference. How about Art of Animation or 2 Value rooms?? I'd stay on property to get the free dining, but that is just my 2 cents. Also, check out youtube and you can get a better feel of the rooms. I like to see what people have posted. Hope this helps!!

amberpi
08-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Both resorts do a GREAT job of decorating for the winter holidays! No worries on that account.