PDA

View Full Version : Slippery Decks!

DreamBound23
08-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for good flip flops to wear when walking around the deck?

When we were on the Dream last year, there were many times where the deck was wet and my feet came out from under me...scary!!! :eek:

Princess Michelle
08-12-2012, 11:28 PM
I've been researching this very topic because of reports I had read of people slipping and falling (even some broken bones!) due to the slippery decks. I'm interested to read the replies.

Some that I've come across as recommended on other sites are Sperry (which actually had some really cute styles surprisingly) and Keens.

mmouse37
08-13-2012, 08:13 AM
the Magic this weekend had a big rainstorm on Friday right after boarding and then again on Saturday evening....decks were very wet. They had that water sucker machine running but there were still puddles around. I wore my FitFlops all weekend and felt secure. Of course you must be extra careful whenever the decks are wet.

MJ

magrudersmakes3
08-13-2012, 08:34 AM
I wore my Nike comfort fit flip flops on the dream and never had an issue. If you are cautious around wet spots you will be fine.

OKW Lover
08-13-2012, 10:04 AM
The trick with wet decks is to be wearing shoes with new thread, not old worn ones. And don't rush!

Woodmnky
08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
While not flip flops, I have had good success with rubber soled water shoes. They are not always the cutest, but I have never fallen and it is no big deal if they get wet.

JennLK
08-13-2012, 10:23 AM
I would go for something with good tread.... I have a pair of reefs that are good on slick surfaces and they are great for walking in general. I call them my WDW flip flops - because they can take the abuse the World dishes out :) It looks like I recently converted my hubby to reefs too.

I have noticed the Old Navy flip flops and ones like them don't usually have good tread - so I would avoid those.

steph5377
08-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Yep, slipped twice. Thankfully I didn't fall. The first time, no one saw me, the second time was right by the ice cream station. The deck wasn't even wet, I had regular rubber flip flips and a crew member saw me. We were both laughing pretty hard. I did see at least three people take a spill. Two little kids and a dad carrying soda.

mrsfuzzmo
08-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I love both Haviannas and Fit Flops. That being said, haviannas, while totally comfortable are not that great on wet surfaces.

Fit Flops are awesome on wet surfaces!

akheila
08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
when we do our morning walks when the decks tend to be wet I love my vibram 5 fingers, again not always the sexiest shoe, but I haven't fallen and even had the attention of some of the ships officers who saw me race across the deck without a slip.

Of course shoes with newer soles are ideal.

adedward
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
After a few graceful slips and slides with my flipflops, last cruise I wore my 5 fingers while on deck. They felt so secure, I loved them for shipboard shoes.

frugalwitch
08-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Not flip flops but Sperry Topsiders are great.