PDA

View Full Version : Juneau Helicopter Glacier Trek - Do we bring boots?

Robub
08-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Hoping a recent cruiser on this excursion can advise us.. Do we need to bring hiking boots for the Helicopter Glacier Trek in
Juneau. Have seen some posts that indicate the operator provides "glacier boots" for guests to wear over running shoes. Getting ready for our sailing on Aug 27th and want to pack appropriately and sparingly! Thanks :).

kcashner
08-12-2012, 12:50 PM
You can...but on our recent Celebrity cruise, the excursion operator provided things to put over our shoes. I can't say whether DCL uses the same operator.

remlap
08-14-2012, 12:36 AM
We booked ERA on our own, but everyone else in our two helicopters was from Disney official tours.
They gave us these boots you slip on over your shoes. It was easy and provided traction. I was wearing my hiking boots, they said I could go without, but they'd strongly recommend I wear them, so I did.

maleficent_fan51
08-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Last June we did the Helicopter Glacier Walkabout through DCL. DCL used North Star Trekking for our excursion. I believe North Star are the same people who will do the Helicopter Glacier Trek. North Star was fantastic! They provided all gear, ie. jacket, pants, trekking boots, gloves, hip pack for your personal valuables, spiked cleats over your boots, trekking poles, water, etc. They preferred you use their gear.

Since our excursion was in the afternoon, we got off the Wonder as soon as we could and took a taxi to Mendenhall to view the glacier at its base. We were very glad we did this...gave us a different perspective. Hiked the trail to a beautiful waterfall, saw some minor calving and toured the visitor center. We arranged with our taxi driver to pick us up and take us back to the ship in time for lunch before our excursion.