PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Hotel- give me your thoughts.

erinclemmer
08-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I am planning a trip for next January and considering booking the Port Orleans Hotels. I have never stayed there before. Fill me in on what you think of it and if there is anything I should be aware of. Also, does anyone know when it was last renovated.

spacemountainmom
08-12-2012, 11:55 AM
I am planning a trip for next January and considering booking the Port Orleans Hotels. I have never stayed there before. Fill me in on what you think of it and if there is anything I should be aware of. Also, does anyone know when it was last renovated.

Try portorleans.org

You can find out pretty much anything you need to know about either Port Orleans resort.

JerseyJanice
08-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I think a room rehab was very recent and for all I know, may still be on-going.

We stayed there in June 2002 and February 2008 and enjoyed the resort very much both trips. It's big, but very beautiful and offers a lot of great amenities, like the boat to Downtown and Yee-Haw Bob in the lounge. Food court is excellent and so are swimming options.

MrsB1228
08-12-2012, 12:13 PM
I second the suggestion to visit portorleans.org! You'll find all kinds of information on both Riverside and French Quarter including room photos, activities, on site food court and restaurant menus, the recent renovations, etc. It's a great resource.

On a personal note, POFQ is our favourite resort at Disney. We love the smaller size, the beautiful, lush landscaping, the boat to Downtown Disney, the walk between our resort and Riverside. FQ has a decent food court, and IMO Riverside probably has the best food court of any resort. It's a wonderful place to come "home" to after a long day in the parks. :goodvibes

intrep93
08-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Depends on which part of the resort you are looking at. We've never stayed at Riverside, but are planning our 2nd stay at French Quarter in Sept. Although both are fairly large properties, Riverside is by far the bigger of the two. Both have boat service to Downtown. Riverside has more dining options and more swimming pools. I've heard bus service at Riverside can include long waits depending on the time of year. I believe buses stop at French Quarter first and then if there is room they stop at some of the Riverside stops. Otherwise they dispatch more buses for Riverside. That is during non-peak times. During peak times, Riverside may just run their own buses all the time. We are traveling with 2 children. Last time we stayed at POP with our older 2 and had a great time, but this time we are bringing our youngest and for him, we think after a day of sensory overload in the parks, he will be able to wind down and sleep better in a quieter environment like French Quarter. We will probably only hit the pool/hot tub once during our stay and rarely eat at our hotel as we are all day park people! French Quarter is a great place for couples. As park people we request a room with an ugly view of the parking lot so we are only steps from the bus stop! If that's a concern for you, make sure you ask where bus stops are at either FQ or Riverside so you can request a building near where you want to be. And as always - poolside is noisy side!!! Good Luck!

tinkerbella16
08-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I have stayed at both Riverside & French Quarter and I cannot say enough good things about these resorts. I do believe they are done the revovations.. POFQ is definitely finished and I think POR has finished a couple months ago. Depending on which one you want to stay.. Riverside is much bigger and spread out, but offers a little more like.. quiet pools, the main pool is more fun, a sit-down restaurant, better food court and all of the amenities are at Riverside so if staying at FQ, you can just walk or take a bus/boat over and use them since they are sister resorts.

POFQ is my favorite.. I love its size and charm. I like the theme there and the grounds are just beautiful with the cobblestone streets and signs. It really is a relaxing resort.. both are! There is only one bus stop as opposed to 4 at Riverside. Sometime they share. Both time I stayed at POR or POFQ we rarely ever shared busses and we were there at a slow time of year. The one thing I really love about these two resorts, are the boats to DTD.. so relaxing and nice views on the way!

pwdebbie
08-12-2012, 03:32 PM

The Port Orleans French Quarter refurb started in Nov. 2010 (we were there then) and was finished in 2011. They started the refurb at Port Orleans Riverside right after that, and I am pretty sure they are finished there now too.

I've only stayed at POFQ so I can't make a comparison with other resorts. It is very peaceful. The decor is not "loud" but rather is calming. The music is fun, jazz music that plays quietly in the background. The landscaping is beautiful. If you want a quieter resort, this is the place. If you want something more vibrant and lively, you might want to consider a different resort. Check out the POFQ FAQ thread for more info (as well as portorleans.org -- Andre administrates the POFQ FAQ thread and also does the portorleans.org website).

Kathy Z
08-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Yes, as of a few weeks ago the POR refurbishment is complete.

TandLMommy28
08-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I never want to stay anywhere else. It's perfect for me. Love the grounds, love the boats, love the food courts. The price is much more reasonable than the absurd deluxe prices and I feel like you are getting a lot for the money.

My favorite thing is the contrast from the parks. Both PO resorts are so calm and soothing and I love coming "home" to that after the parks.

nkereina
08-12-2012, 06:40 PM
POFQ renovations finished up about a year ago, while POR renovations are almost complete and have been ongoing for the last year. Both resorts now have queen beds.

POFQ is much smaller and though it's more quaint and easier to navigate, IMO, it makes it feel more crowded. We found the bus stop and food court to both be crowded there. POR is much bigger so if walking is an issue, you may not like it there. Walking doesn't bother us and we loved the food court as well.