PDA

View Full Version : Cooler Question

ready2vacation
08-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Anyone pack perishables in a cooler and take with them rather than purchasing in Florida? Considering this since we're driving straight through (10 hours), but wondered if it was silly to go through the trouble.

dtum
08-12-2012, 06:28 AM
We have a cooler that plugs into the car and it worked for us one year, but it was only DH and I and it takes up a large part of the back seat. Last time we only took non-perishable (it seems some foods are region specific and we can't buy in FL) and decided to go to Super Target for the fresh things because DS was with us and we had DD and her family's things in our truck also. For us, both ways worked.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DISBoards

happymommy
08-12-2012, 11:54 AM
We definitely did when we drove - 12 hours - straight through. I packed hot dogs, cheese, I forget what else.

We also used plastic bins in the trunk to take our non-perishable items, like cereal and pasta. We took laundry detergent, a case of juice boxes, water, wine, lots! We were gone about 2 weeks total, and didn't have to go to the store once! The entire back of our minivan was full! Oh, we had the double stroller too.

swilshire
08-12-2012, 12:11 PM
The groceries are similar in price in Florida to regular prices at home, but we do bring enough milk for the first morning, any leftovers in the fridge, and a few things we bought on sale and/or with coupons from the freezer. Hot dogs for a good example. We buy only beef, which cost a fortune except when they are BOGOF at the grocery. Sometimes I have a coupon also. We throw in chicken (boneless breast) from the freezer, purchased when on sale for $1.99 a pound. Ground beef from the best sales.

Same with dry goods. If it is a must have and we got a great discount, we'll throw it in with us. Otherwise, we'll just buy it there. I get the local Publix ad and will buy any of their sale items that fit into our plans for the week.

Sheila

ready2vacation
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks! And Sheila, good to know as we are in TN also.

I think we'll do a hybrid and bring all the non-perishables and perhaps some of the perishables. We had planned on using a delivery service, but out plans changed some and it just made more sense to bring things this trip.