PDA

View Full Version : 3 night sailing: Will I hate it that it's so short?

jpeka65844
08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
So I'm considering doing a "quickie" cruise with DS in Dec 2013.

Is a 3 night cruise worth it? If we don't do this one, then because of schedules, it will most likely be 2015 before we cruise again (even though we could go longer on that one....) but I don't know if we can wait that long!

Opinions?

Rogillio
08-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Yes. But I hated that our 12 day cruise was too short too. ;-)

tajz90
08-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Any and all DCL cruises are too short, but if it's a 3 day or nothing, I'd take the 3 day :)

TXDCLfan
08-11-2012, 02:26 PM

Is a 3 night cruise worth it? If we don't do this one, then because of schedules, it will most likely be 2015 before we cruise again (even though we could go longer on that one....) but I don't know if we can wait that long!

Opinions?

IMHO that is way to short...we did a 5 day and said never again 7 days is just right for us.:cool1::cool1:

darkwing818
08-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Hate to be negative, but we did one 3 day cruise & swore we wouldn't do another. Just way to rushed, we were literally unpacking when it was time to repack & leave the ship. It just wasn't an enjoyable part our vacation. Just our 2 cents worth. Thankfully we still had 6 days at WDW, before we headed home. :cool1:

mickeyfan1
08-11-2012, 02:37 PM
No.

savannahcat
08-11-2012, 03:12 PM
IMHO that is way to short...we did a 5 day and said never again 7 days is just right for us.:cool1::cool1:

I agree. We did the 5 day cruise on the Dream in June and thought it was too short, even though we spent 8 nights at Disney afterward. We'll try seven nights next time, but I have a feeling I'll still feel the same way...

jdb in AZ
08-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I agree. We did the 5 day cruise on the Dream in June and thought it was too short, even though we spent 8 nights at Disney afterward. We'll try seven nights next time, but I have a feeling I'll still feel the same way...

My favorite Disney cruises have been 15 days. :thumbsup2 I doubt we'll sail on the Dream til the itineraries change. And no, we're not interested in a back-to-back on the Dream just to get a week-long cruise out of it.

disney1990
08-11-2012, 03:28 PM
any and all dcl cruises are too short, but if it's a 3 day or nothing, i'd take the 3 day :)

agreed.

Macmaro
08-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Like others have said, if it was all I could fit in, I would do it. It is rushed though. We're on a 5 day next week because of our schedules. My wife prefers the shorter and I prefer the longer so we usually compromise on the 7 day. I want to do transatlantic but I have not yet been able to convince her. I would go and just be prepared to rush.

mellyp
08-11-2012, 03:35 PM
It's too short. 7 night is perfect for my family. But if 3 days or nothing, we will take it.

bonjoe07
08-11-2012, 03:41 PM
If a 3 day cruise is all i could fit in my schedule then its better than nothing, however a longer cruise will be best

PrincessTrisha
08-11-2012, 05:16 PM
We did a 4 night in April and found it was long enough to satisfy the cruise desire until our next "long" vacation. I'm not sure I would feel the same way about a 3 day because there is no sea day and IMHO, I feel cheated on a cruise if there isn't a sea day.

NancyIL
08-11-2012, 05:22 PM
All 3 of my Disney cruises have been 4 nighters to the Bahamas, and the first one was with my elderly mother. She and I weren't great cruise roommates, and by the time the cruise ended - I couldn't wait to get off the ship! Thank goodness I planned to spend 4 days at WDW afterwards...solo! ;)

kcashner
08-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Honestly, I can't see myself doing a 3 night again. I did one as a 4/3 B2B and one as a combination with a 5 night WDW trip. A 3 night cruise is really 2 1/2 days long. The cost of getting to and from Florida is the same whether you cruise for 3 or 14 nights unless you live close enough to drive. DCL tries to cram all the most popular activities into those 2 1/2 days and the guests seem to be frantic because they might "miss" something. Seriously, the guests can be a bit nuts! If at all possible, turn that 3 night into a 4 night; otherwise just wait.

collectoraholic
08-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Opinions?

In the 17 DCL cruises that I've done, they were the following lengths:

3-Nighter: Once
4-Nighter: Five Times
5-Nighter: Once
7-Nighter: Six Times
8-Nighter: Once
11-Nighter: Two Times
15-Nighter: Once

& We have the following upcoming cruises booked:

7-Nighter: Three Booked
12-Nighter: One Booked

So you can see, we like the longer cruises. The only reason we did the 3-Nighter that we did was b/c we got a fantastic last minute deal for myself & DH. Yes, it was short, but wasn't too bad. We know what we had going in, but we did definitely miss the day @ sea that you have on a 4-nighter vs. a 3-nighter. The one good thing...not having to pack too much/over pack. :lmao:

My suggestion is this: If you can still switch it to at least a 4-Nighter, I would b/c that day at sea really gives you the chance to explore the ship. Whereas on a 3-Nighter, being in ports, you just loose that ability do explore imho.

HTHs! :thumbsup2 & No matter what, even 3-nights on a ship is better than no nights on a ship. ;)

IlovemythreeC's
08-11-2012, 06:34 PM
We went on the Disney Fantasy for 3 nights and it was great ~ there is one danger though, it leaves you wanting MORE!!! We cruised in March and are now cruising again in Septmeber.

I did feel that I did not get to accomplish near what we had hoped for ~ there is just so much to do!! However, it was an amazing experience and I encourage you to go :goodvibes

Disney1fan2002
08-11-2012, 07:32 PM
tbh (to be honest, what the kids on FB say) I could never do a 3 day cruise. It would be too much of a tease for me. I wouldn't even feel like I was settled in the stateroom, when it would be time to get off.

lundve
08-11-2012, 07:52 PM
In the 17 DCL cruises that I've done, they were the following lengths:

3-Nighter: Once
4-Nighter: Five Times
5-Nighter: Once
7-Nighter: Six Times
8-Nighter: Once
11-Nighter: Two Times
15-Nighter: Once

& We have the following upcoming cruises booked:

7-Nighter: Three Booked
12-Nighter: One Booked

So you can see, we like the longer cruises. The only reason we did the 3-Nighter that we did was b/c we got a fantastic last minute deal for myself & DH. Yes, it was short, but wasn't too bad. We know what we had going in, but we did definitely miss the day @ sea that you have on a 4-nighter vs. a 3-nighter. The one good thing...not having to pack too much/over pack. :lmao:

My suggestion is this: If you can still switch it to at least a 4-Nighter, I would b/c that day at sea really gives you the chance to explore the ship. Whereas on a 3-Nighter, being in ports, you just loose that ability do explore imho.

HTHs! :thumbsup2 & No matter what, even 3-nights on a ship is better than no nights on a ship. ;)

Hey collectoraholic I have one you don't :)

3 nighter - one
4 nighter - two
5 nighter - one
10 nighter - one (was supposed to be 7 but it was a hurricane lengthened cruise)

While we love the longer cruises too we tend to sail more if we do shorter ones.

So to the OP I am with the sentiment that if you can go with longer that includes at least one sea day do it - I felt that on the three night we couldn't even scratch the surface of what dcl had to offer.

magrudersmakes3
08-12-2012, 07:38 PM
We decided to do a quick getaway in September and the 3 day fit better in our schedule than a 4 night did. I would have loved to do a 4 night, but to me, the 3 night was better than no nights.

NTOFD
08-12-2012, 07:59 PM
We did a 2 night out of NY in June, now that was short, but I still enjoyed it.:cool2:

StitchandPooh'sMom
08-12-2012, 08:08 PM
While a 7-night cruise is the perfect length for me, we have done a 3-night and a 4-night on the Wonder and have booked a 3-night on the Dream for January. We have been to the Bahamas several times and will use the Nassau day as our "sea day". While a 3-night doesn't feel like a full vacation, it is a great long weekend and I know we will have a lot of fun enjoying the ship. Sometimes a shorter cruise is what fits into the schedule - our DDs will only miss one day of school. :goodvibes

Nikki'sMommy
08-12-2012, 08:20 PM
My husband loves the shorter cruises... He doesn't like to be away for too long- we have done 2 and although they are short, they are wonderful as well... It is what you make of it- don't expect to do everything just get on the ship as early as possible and take advantage of the magic of it all.. If that is what works for your family....do it!

acourtwdw
08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
3 days(nights) on DCL is better than 3 days at work! Yup, I'd do another short cruise....

NoodlesMom
08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Do the 3nighter. It is short but not too short. For me it's a matter of what I can afford. The 3 night cruise was a blast and I would take it any day over no cruise at all. I've also done a 7 night and it was great but enjoyed the 3 night just as much. I am in the process of planning a cruise for summer 2013. I can do a 3 night cruise and 7 nights at an ocean front condo in Destin for much less than a seven night cruise. I'll still get my DCL fix mixed in with a little fun in the sun. Go for it.