PDA

View Full Version : NY/Canada Single or Double stroller?

nlm74
08-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Hoping to get some quick thoughts. Off on Sept 7th NY/Canada cruise with a almost 4yr old and almost 1yr old. I know we'll need some sort of stroller for the little guy, but wondering which stroller I should bring. We plan on doing the Hop on Hop off bus in Halifax and the Saint Johns Highlights tour. I'm wondering how much walking will be involved and if a double stroller is necessary? My 3yr old is good to walk for about 45 min (and obviously my baby not so much). We'll have a carrier for the baby too, so I'm thinking we could even bjorn him if my 3yr old needs the stroller? My oldest doesn't nap anymore so we wouldn't need the stroller for her for naps either....

What do you all think?

peachygreen
08-12-2012, 07:39 PM
How much does your 3 year old use the stroller at home? With the HOHO and the highlights there is as much or as little walking as you wish. The Saint John Highlights has very little walking and you would be fine with the single stroller for that. For the HOHO in Halifax it depends on what you want to do when you get off. The bus takes you along the route. Would your 3 year old use a stroller in a museum at home?

I would probably stick to the single and plan to carry the 1 year old for short periods if the 3 year old needs a break, but I don't know your kids. A double takes up a lot of room in your cabin.

rcchello
08-12-2012, 07:54 PM
I have read on other threads that double strollers can be very difficult to navigate . The hallways on the ship are very narrow and a there are problems getting them on the elevators.

I suggest you search other threads, to see what people suggest.

nlm74
08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think we're just going to do the single stroller and bjorn the babe if need be.

Cheers!

Four Bears
08-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Mom of a 2 and 4 year old here!!

I love my double! I have a side by side jeep stroller that I use for travel since it is light weight and folds up compactly.

We use it primarily for the airports and for excursions, but on the ship, we hardly use it all. I will tell you that the double will not fit through the stateroom door and that navigating the hallways are tricky since the stroller barely fits, and add other guests and room service carts, it can get tricky.

The elevators can also be a hassle, but a trick I learned is go in the direction opposite of the crowd and ride it to the top (or bottom) then back to your destination. (This is also very applicable to anyone who needs extra time to get in a elevator. It seems there is a free for all and all etiquette and manners somehow fly out the window. I have seen people in wheelchairs/with mobility devices/with strollers waiting for several elevator cycles only to have other people rush in the elevators in front of them.)

If you have a stroller that has a sit and stand option that may work as well. Even in the Bjorn, a little infant gets heavy mighty fast. And IMO the Bjorn is about the most uncomfortable baby carrier (for you and the baby) there is....there are many other types out there!

I really think it depends on your situation, if you are not going to be using it a lot at your destinations and you are able to manage getting to and from the port without a double, you should be okay.

Another tip:
If you go to guest services the first day, you can "borrow" a stroller for a $200 refundable deposit. That way, you can bring your own single and then borrow another single for excursions. They are first come/first serve, so you may want to borrow it early. If you don't need it, then you can always return it early. It is a Peg Perego single jogger. (Can't remember the exact model.)

nlm74
08-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Another tip:
If you go to guest services the first day, you can "borrow" a stroller for a $200 refundable deposit. That way, you can bring your own single and then borrow another single for excursions. They are first come/first serve, so you may want to borrow it early. If you don't need it, then you can always return it early. It is a Peg Perego single jogger. (Can't remember the exact model.)

GREAT TIP! Thanks so much Four Bears. I think we've settled with the single. We have a double maclaren which fits through normal doors but it is heavier and a hassle compared to the single maclaren. My husband's the one bjorn-ing and SO uncomfortable to me, but he prefers it over the ergo, so we shall see.
Thanks again!