PDA

View Full Version : Help! Is nothing available?

Geeky
08-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I was holding off, waiting for AP discounts to be announced, but I got nervous this morning so I looked at what rack rate was - only to find that there are little to no resorts available!
No moderates are available
No Deluxe (with the exception of BWV)
And only a couple of values (which I'm not a big fan of)
My dates are 10/17-10/23

Am I really going to have to stay off property or is this a glitch?
It makes even less sense that there are so many ADV available at this time - especially when it is free dining during that time as well.

Can anyone help/guide me? My dates are not flexible.

ErinsMommy
08-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I just searched that (not knowing how many in your party, just went with 2 adults/1 child) and it came up with Fort Wilderness/Pop Century/BMW. Not sure if that's what you want, but yes it appears there's very limited rooms.

Geeky
08-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Also, there isn't even availability at Swan and Dolphin. ARGH!

gwynne
08-09-2012, 10:44 AM
It looks you won't have much problem booking 17-21. Have you considered a split stay? Maybe book with lots of options at the beginning, and then book where you can between 21-23rd.

Geeky
08-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Gwynne- thanks for the tip!we will be traveling with a one month old- so I was hoping to not have to do a split stay, but if that's our only option...

Mom2Luci
08-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I think you're having issues with the later days because of Gartner. Even with a baby, I would do a split stay at this point.

Geeky
08-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I guess I'll keep holding out for ap rates - I really want to stay on property and didn't realize there was such a large convention!

TaraPA
08-09-2012, 02:16 PM
DH goes to the Gartner Convention & they have several Disney resorts & Swan & Dolphin booked solid starting 10/21, I think that may be contributing to the lack of availability!

Desnik
08-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I think you're having issues with the later days because of Gartner. Even with a baby, I would do a split stay at this point.

So that's what it is!! I was having the same issues as the OP. Does this convention affect park crowds and the MNSSHP crowds or just the resorts?

I was trying to book a short stay, 10/18-10/21 just to do MNSSHP and I couldn't believe the lack of availability! I wanted a AoALM room.

Mom2Luci
08-09-2012, 02:45 PM
So that's what it is!! I was having the same issues as the OP. Does this convention affect park crowds and the MNSSHP crowds or just the resorts?

I was trying to book a short stay, 10/18-10/21 just to do MNSSHP and I couldn't believe the lack of availability! I wanted a AoALM room.

You wouldn't find availability in LM rooms even without the convention, they've been hard to come by...

im4kycats
08-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure when registration for Gartner closes, but I would imagine they will have to release their unused blocks in a few weeks. There will probably be a lot of rooms available at that point.

VAN
08-09-2012, 02:53 PM
If your dates are set in stone, I would grab whatever reservation you could get now. You can always rebook if and when a discount comes out, or more options open up.

That is what I have always done when booking hotel rooms. Book something that can be cancelled and keep checking for lower rates, etc.

If your dates are flexible, then I would change the time of your visit to when it is less crowded.

Karlzmom
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I guess I'll keep holding out for ap rates - I really want to stay on property and didn't realize there was such a large convention!

I would be worried that if there is so llittle availability now, why would Disney release AP rates for those days? I would certainly book "place holder" reservations to ensure you have a room while you are looking. Good Luck!

Waltgirl
08-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Don't panic. It's not July or Christmas/New Years. As it gets closer Disney will release more rooms. People book and then wait until the last minute to cancel and TA's will start giving unbooked rooms back to Disney.

mickeyluv'r
08-09-2012, 04:45 PM
I'd book something now, but keep your eyes open for better options.

I can't speak to that specific convention, but my expereince is that convention guests mostly stay at the convention. A few bring families, especially to a place like WDW, but it's probably lower than you think.
Not having family is less distracting when you are supposed to be working. Though it is possible this conference is an exception to the trend.

WE've also done lots of split stays. If you pack correctly, they are no big deal. You do lose some time on the transfer to be sure, but they are very doable. You also gain convenience.

In some ways, it might be more convenient. You could stay at the BWK fora few nights (eat in that area, see Epcot and HS) then transfer to a resort near MK maybe. At the second resort, you get the plus of all new conveneitn dining options, and maybe being close to a differnet park and different pool. Instead of losing time going back and forth spread over a week, you only lose a few hours one day.

Desnik
08-09-2012, 04:59 PM
I found this info about the convention, maybe it'll help someone.
http://www.gartner.com/technology/symposium/orlando/hotel.jsp

mefordis
08-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Wow, I wonder why it's busy that week. What are your dates? Your ticker shows the same dates as me but I am not arriving until Nov 1.

rhiansmom
08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
You wouldn't find availability in LM rooms even without the convention, they've been hard to come by...

We will be there the 17-22 and I booked a LM room less than a week ago... I just checked the website (stalked really) several times a day until a room opened up.

Geeky
08-10-2012, 06:46 AM
I'm torn - should I reserve something at rack rate (which I've never paid for!) - especially when we won't get free dining - or should I just hold off to see if AP rates come out soon with something?

Wow, I wonder why it's busy that week. What are your dates? Your ticker shows the same dates as me but I am not arriving until Nov 1.

My ticker is from last year.. I should get around to changing it ;)

VAN
08-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Book it NOW at rack rates ... it's better to have a room at full price than no room at all !! LOL.

If discount rates are released, you can always rebook.

rhiansmom
08-10-2012, 08:28 PM
There is a AoA LM room available right now for those dates...

jamuth
08-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Anyone check park closing during that time? DH says the convention book the park and universal

Chaoticsweetness
08-12-2012, 11:27 AM
I found this info about the convention, maybe it'll help someone.
http://www.gartner.com/technology/symposium/orlando/hotel.jsp

Thanks for sharing the link, it was very helpful. From the speakers, it looks like General Colin Powell will be at Disney during this time.

I can't find any resorts either, I was waiting for the discounts to be announced & then book it. It makes me really nervous, but it doesn't look like the values will be affected at all by the convention.

Geeky
08-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Booked the AoA nemo suite at rack rate. Hoping something else is released soon... :(

3angelsmom
08-20-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure when registration for Gartner closes, but I would imagine they will have to release their unused blocks in a few weeks. There will probably be a lot of rooms available at that point.

I had never heard of the Gartner convention and was curious so I googled it. According to their website (google "gartner convention wdw") the Poly, GF, BWI, Swan, Dolphin, BC & YC are sold out. So it looks like there won't be any of these rooms released, at least by this convention. Sorry, OP.

On the bright side, they're still showing availability at WL, AK, CB, & POR. It says that after 9/17 the deposit is non-refundable and the balance is due, so maybe un-reserved rooms will be released then? Good luck.

3angelsmom
08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Ooops, didn't realize the link was already posted above. Guess I need more coffee :)

hokie98
08-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Wow...has anyone ever been there during this particular convention? We are booked at POR (royal room) for 10/20-26....glad we already have our reservations! My inlaws have a room booked too for the week but are considering only staying a few days now. I was going to recommend them to check out the military rates for POR, but I am guessing with this convention, there won't be many discounted rooms available!
OP...hope something opens up for you!!

TaraPA
08-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Wow...has anyone ever been there during this particular convention? We are booked at POR (royal room) for 10/20-26....glad we already have our reservations! My inlaws have a room booked too for the week but are considering only staying a few days now. I was going to recommend them to check out the military rates for POR, but I am guessing with this convention, there won't be many discounted rooms available!
OP...hope something opens up for you!!

I have been, DH is part of the conference every year. While resorts are booked up, parks aren't overly crowded. The majority of people are there for business, not vacation. We always tag along because we have APs, but there aren't many families there directly related to the convention.

That being said, October is no longer a slow period like it used to be. This will be our 4th October there & it's increased in crowds every year so far. But nothing crazy at all.

MinnieGirl33
08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
- or should I just hold off to see if AP rates come out soon with something?

With such limited availability, there is absolutely no motivation for them to offer AP rates at all for that time period.

If you want to stay on site, book what you can now & change it later if its an option.

Zerosinthecloset
08-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Expedia has plenty of WDW Resorts available. I've seen this before that availability of WDW Resorts via the WDW website was lacking, but Expedia has plenty of inventory. We've used them a number of times with no problem...they even tell you about DME and when to sign up.

Of course someone will say they had a friend of a cousin's hairdresser's handyman bailbondsman book through Expedia, and when they got to the resort they didn't have a reservation. We've never experienced a situation like that. Just what Expedia promised.

gwynne
08-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Expedia has plenty of WDW Resorts available. I've seen this before that availability of WDW Resorts via the WDW website was lacking, but Expedia has plenty of inventory. We've used them a number of times with no problem...they even tell you about DME and when to sign up.

Of course someone will say they had a friend of a cousin's hairdresser's handyman bailbondsman book through Expedia, and when they got to the resort they didn't have a reservation. We've never experienced a situation like that. Just what Expedia promised.

I took your suggestion and checked OP's dates on Expedia. No availability at Swan, Dolphin, BC, BWI, YC, CR, POFQ, POR, CSR, OKW, WL, Poly, GF. Most of the villas show no availability, too. Gartner is a huge convention. Disney didn't appear to save a lot of rooms with an outside agency in this case.

There was a little availability at the All stars, FW, and Art of Animation.

Zerosinthecloset
08-20-2012, 06:52 PM
I took your suggestion and checked OP's dates on Expedia. No availability at Swan, Dolphin, BC, BWI, YC, CR, POFQ, POR, CSR, OKW, WL, Poly, GF. Most of the villas show no availability, too. Gartner is a huge convention. Disney didn't appear to save a lot of rooms with an outside agency in this case.

There was a little availability at the All stars, FW, and Art of Animation.

My mistake....somehow didn't get the right dates put in...my apologies.

gwynne
08-20-2012, 07:00 PM
My mistake....somehow didn't get the right dates put in...my apologies.

Goodness, no worries. This is probably just one of those out of the ordinary situations where there is an enormous convention, and they've booked most everything. That's good news for Disney. :goodvibes

Geeky
09-11-2012, 11:31 AM
So happy!

Finally port Orleans opened up and we are able to stay there for the entire trip- its only cutting it a little close, but we are going! Hooray!

pinkerbell
09-11-2012, 12:27 PM
yea!!!!!!
:goodvibes: