PDA

View Full Version : Off Disney HELP

belle22
07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Last minute plans to Disney and all the value rooms are booked. Where off Disney do you recomend? Do they have shuttles and how early/late do they run? Do they charge parking?
Thanks!

DCTooTall
07-31-2012, 12:36 PM
It really depends on what you are looking for, and your budget.

Some people here like some of the condos (timeshare) in the area, Some like rental houses, and then there are plenty of decent hotels. If we knew what you were looking for when it comes to things like available space, resort amenities, or if driving to the parks was a possibility, it might help narrow things down for us to make some recommendations.

(You don't exactly need a 2bdrm condo if it's just you, or you and a SO.... and a hotel might not be the best fit if it's you, SO, and 3 kids)

brooklindaddy
08-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Tons of hotels in the area. But like DCTooTall said, kind of need to share your party size, budget, length of stay, amenities that you want, etc. Car rentals have gone down dramatically over the last month, so renting might be cheaper then cabbing everywhere.

Sorry for the lack of help.

happymommy
08-02-2012, 06:14 AM
I agree with the PP!

Party size? Budget? Rental Car or no? Dates?

If no rental car, the easiest way to start in my opinion would be the Downtown Disney hotels, for their shuttles and convenience. I'd start looking there, then go from there.

shalom
08-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Joining the chorus that it's hard to give specifics without more information. But, since I just got up, I'll ramble on with generalities for some paragraphs anyhow. :rolleyes: :teeth:

We've never been charged parking staying in condos, but I know the Swan, Dolphin, and some of the downtown Disney hotels have either a parking fee or a resort fee or both. The parks charge $15 for parking, I believe.

Depending on the time of year, you can usually get a condo offsite for the price of a Disney Value room. I know people get great deals on motels as well, and my impression is that most places comparable to the Value resorts outside of downtown Disney don't charge parking. But if you've got a party of any size at all, and usually stay Disney Value, in your place I'd give a condo a try. :)

The best shuttle systems I've heard of are Swan or Dolphin, some of the downtown Disney hotels, or Wyndham Bonnet Creek. I don't like Bonnet Creek's because there's usually a gap in the early afternoon, precisely when I'd be most likely to use it (not that I take shuttles anyhow); Swan and Dolphin you're using Disney transportation I think, and the downtown Disney hotels vary. If you don't want to drive, you could also get a place on Irlo Bronson east of WDW and take the Lynx bus, which runs twice an hour in both directions. That'll take you to the TTC, which is where a fair percentage of hotel shuttles drop people off anyhow.

A 7-day pass costs about $16, and you can order it online so you don't have to go downtown to get one when you get there. This is the route to the east:

http://www.golynx.com/core/fileparse.php/97363/urlt/0054811-link_56.pdf

And pass prices:

http://www.golynx.com/fares-passes/where-to-buy-passes.stml

Brian Noble
08-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Do they have shuttles and how early/late do they run?
If you are not staying in a Disney resort, do yourself a favor and drive to the parks. Yes, you have to pay for parking, but the $15/day or so will be well worth it in saved time and aggravation.

OrangeCountyCommuter
08-02-2012, 01:20 PM
If I am not staying in my DVC I ALWAYS stay off site. Honestly the savings generally cover the cost of a rental car and probably parking (I have an AP so I don't pay to park)

My favorite area is Lake Buena Vista. Lots of reasonably priced options Last time I got the Marriott Courtyard for $69 a night with a free breakfast buffet There are lots of other options that have suites, free breakfast etc. It's an EASY commute to Disney from there (honestly it's probably closer to Epcot and the MK then some of the values) AND they give perks the values don't Things like 'interior corridors", free breakfast, access to reasonably priced good food, rewards program that let earn points for FREE stays (Disney has no loyalty program LOL!)

There's a new Fairfield that looks nice, a nice Holiday Inn Express, Shearton Safari (recently redone, but no free breakfast), Hampton Inn etc...

When I add in the hotel cost savings, savings on food and "perks" it's a no brainer not to pay Disney. (Sorry CUTE does very little for me. After I get over it I realize I am paying over $100 a night for hotel with bad beds, exterior corridors, overpriced food etc...)

Brian Noble
08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
over $100 a night
Average Summer Season rack rates, for a seven-night stay in a Standard Value room, are now over $150 per night with taxes, and getting pretty close to $160.

happymommy
08-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Have you looked into the Swan or Dolphin too?

You won't need a car then, since it's right next to the Boardwalk.

jtopicz1
08-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Swan and Dolphin have rooms as low as $129 for most of the late summer and early fall.

The Hilton at Bonnet Creek is also very nice.

Outside of that, try a Priceline bid for resorts in the LBV area. All are close, most offer shuttles, and a bid between $60 and $80 a night will usually hit!