PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics

queendisney
07-27-2012, 12:06 PM
So who is looking forward to the Olympics and which sport's inparticular?

I must admit I am not super enthusiastic but looking forward to the gymnastics, diving and the horsey stuff.:)

The stadium is looking good and just watching the BBC coverage of all the people arriving for the opening ceremony and it looks like a great atmosphere.

Come on team GB..:cheer2:

Danauk
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I am looking forward to watching the swimming and diving plus the track and field events.

I am also really looking forward to the closing ceremony as I have tickets for it :cool1:. I can't wait to go as, like you said, the atmosphere looks amazing at Olympic Park right now.

queendisney
07-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I am looking forward to watching the swimming and diving plus the track and field events.

I am also really looking forward to the closing ceremony as I have tickets for it :cool1:. I can't wait to go as, like you said, the atmosphere looks amazing at Olympic Park right now.

oh yes I forgot about the diving...looking forward to that as well.

I know one thing about the closing ceremony as I had a patient canx his hospital appt because it was the same day and he was in it. I had to ask him what he was doing, it would have been rude not to:rolleyes: but I won't spill the beans...:)

Have a fabulous time...

Dimplenose
07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm surprised how excited I am.

The cycle races go past the end of my road tomorrow and Sunday and we've got tickets for the basket ball next week. :cool1:

queendisney
07-27-2012, 02:47 PM
oh how exciting to see the road race..:thumbsup2

Can't wait to see whats gonna happen with all those animals in the stadium...:rotfl: Sort of wonder if that saying 'never work with children and animals' might be true:)

Glad the rain has stopped, we have blue sky in Camberley..

Dimplenose
07-27-2012, 02:50 PM
I wish the BBC would stop their documentaries and just let us watch the pre-show.

tinkerbells mum
07-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm really enjoying the opening ceremony looking forward to the diving, swimming, gymnastics, trampolining and athletics xx

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

queendisney
07-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I wish the BBC would stop their documentaries and just let us watch the pre-show.

Yes we said that as well.

Getting bored watching them all trapse into the stadium and have another 3/4 hour before team GB comes in!

Loved the opening ceremony once they finished the industrial revolution bit of it. :)

ChipnDaleRule
07-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Loved the opening ceremony, makes me proud to be british:)
Not sure the Ali part had the desired impact, sad to see his disease taking its toll.
Lost a £5 bet on who would light the cauldron.Hope they move it soon:rotfl:

Arise SIR DANNY:thumbsup2

mandymouse
07-28-2012, 12:47 AM
I can't say I'm super excited about the Olympics, but if there's nothing else on the TV I'll watch whatevers on

I loved the Opening Ceremony last night, especially our history, the music, our comedy, 007 with the Queen :rotfl2: and of course Becks bringing the torch in a speed boat :love:. The fireworks were amazing, I just wonder what the rest of the World thought of our quirkiness :)

disneyholic family
07-28-2012, 02:27 AM
i didn't watch the opening ceremony last night..
i used to watch every second of the olympics, from opening to close, but it doesn't do much for me anymore..

i won't make a point of watching, but if it happens to be on when i'm exercising my elbow (which i have to do at least 5 hours a day :eek:), i'll be happy to see swimming, diving, horsey stuff, gymnastics and i suppose anything else that happens to be on...oddly, i enjoy watching the weightlifters...isn't that weird???

queendisney
07-28-2012, 06:29 AM
the highlight for me was the Olympic Flame, I thought that sculpture was just beautiful the way all the arms lifted to make one flame...fan-tast-ic:thumbsup2

Thought Paul Mccartney was awful and time they stopped wheeling him out. :rotfl:

The Queen and James Bond was just inspiring..LOVED it.:cool1:

Now watching the gymnastics..come on Team GB

Ware Bears
07-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I loved the opening ceremony, it was absolutely brilliant and showcased everything that is so great about Britain. I'm very patriotic anyway but it made me feel even more so.

I'm watching the dressage today and tomorrow - glad it's not too hot outside today because then I don't feel so guilty sitting indoors! I love watching all the equestrian events plus also like the synchronised swimming and the diving.

ChipnDaleRule
07-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Really enjoying the road racing, but can someone please tell me, how can the Olympic flame stay where it is(in the middle of the field) surely it needs to be moved?:confused3

queendisney
07-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Really enjoying the road racing, but can someone please tell me, how can the Olympic flame stay where it is(in the middle of the field) surely it needs to be moved?:confused3

Apparently they are moving it. Wonder what would happen in the field events with the javlin, hammer etc if they didn't:rotfl: Normally the flame is up high somewhere so that should be interesting to see where they put it.

Just nipped in to see the end of they cycling..oh well no medal this time. Watching a bit of tennis before going out to tackle the gardening again!

Off to Harry Potter Experience in Watford tomorrow:)

Dimplenose
07-28-2012, 10:52 AM
I was really disappointed with the opening ceremony. Very dark and gloomy. But I loved the cycling birds and parachuting Queen and Mr Bean was quite amusing too.

Totally agree about Paul McCartney even though I was a massive Wings fan years ago.

Enjoy the Harry Potter tour - it is amazing!

Disneymad
07-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Not sure the Ali part had the desired impact, sad to see his disease taking its toll.

Yeah, that made me a little uncomfortable too tbh, felt less like he was participating and more like he was just rolled out to beef up the show. Man was/is a legend, sometimes it's better to let people remember him at his best.

can someone please tell me, how can the Olympic flame stay where it is(in the middle of the field) surely it needs to be moved?:confused3

It's being moved to one end of the stadium. Stadium is closed now for several days while they convert it for all the track and field stuff.

Disneymad
07-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Oh yeah, agree about McCartney too. They just couldn't resist wheeling him out yet again huh?

tennisfan
07-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Got to say the Opening Ceremony was much better then I thought it was going to be, except Paul McCartney who was terrible. Love the Olympic Cauldron.

I'm lucky to be working at the games & have got my first shift on Wednesday. Had a quick tour of the Olympic park site on Thursday & its amazing.

I also got tickets for Hockey on Tuesday so looking forward to being able to explore the area better without having to worry about people complaining.

Really proud to be British:goodvibes

LarryFmScotland
07-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I thought Danny Boyle's OC was fantastic. The Queen is such a trooper for agreeing to her segment and taking part with James Bond! Loved the Olympic Flame, I'm going to be a proud Brit, when I get back to work on Monday here in Texas. I think it was just as good as Bejing, not as big, but it made up for it in clever and funny. And I thought Paul was great, just to add a note of decention.

Chilly
07-28-2012, 12:35 PM
I had a great time last night at the opening ceremony and have recorded it so we can compare what was shown on TV to what we saw.

Also got tennis and basketball tickets becuae of which we are now very broke.

Been watching the Olympics all day on the TV, gutted for Mark Cav.

tennisfan
07-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I had a great time last night at the opening ceremony and have recorded it so we can compare what was shown on TV to what we saw.

I bet the atmosphere was amazing? A few of our group went to Hyde park and had difficulty getting out. They arrived back at the Uni where we are staying at 1.30am and they had to be at work at 4.30am:scared1:

queendisney
07-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Enjoy the Harry Potter tour - it is amazing!

Thank you, really looking forward to it..:)

And I thought Paul was great, just to add a note of decention.

Perhaps the time delay made it sound better:rotfl:

Wow I bet it was fab being there. Yes gutted for Mark Cavendish as well. We did well in the rowing though.:thumbsup2

Chilly
07-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I bet the atmosphere was amazing? A few of our group went to Hyde park and had difficulty getting out. They arrived back at the Uni where we are staying at 1.30am and they had to be at work at 4.30am:scared1:

Yeah the atmosphere was great. We got out no problem but didn't get home till about 2.30am, slept till 11.30am though.

frankieeyre
07-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Loved the opening ceremony! Made me very proud to be british!
I am very excited for the gymnastics! I'm going to see the womens qualifying tomorrow so cannot wait!! Anyone else going?

queendisney
07-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Loved the opening ceremony! Made me very proud to be british!
I am very excited for the gymnastics! I'm going to see the womens qualifying tomorrow so cannot wait!! Anyone else going?

no but very much wish I was. I think the gymnastics are my fav of the olympics. Have a fab time.

queendisney
07-29-2012, 04:45 AM
I thought Zara Phillips did really well in the dressage today.:thumbsup2 Hope the massive downpour of rain we just got here doesn't reach them..

TotallyAngelic
07-29-2012, 07:52 AM
I loved the opening ceremony ..... well most of it. They could have chosen better bands and Paul Macartney was dire. Loved the final bit with the torch lighting and the first bit with the industrial landscape etc. Might watch bits and bobs but I don't watch much TV anyway so likely won't see much. But good luck team GB.

kilvi
07-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Looking to see gymnastic

queendisney
07-30-2012, 04:17 PM
well done to our mens gymnastic team...a bronze medal, how fab was that. Mind you I was gutted for them when they had the silver for 10 mins then it got taken away. But wow what an achievement:banana:

Don't think we are going to get anywhere close to the medal tally from the Bejing Olympics...

queendisney
07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
WOW....PHELPS fantastic achievement:cheer2:

Dimplenose
07-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Don't think we are going to get anywhere close to the medal tally from the Bejing Olympics...

No, our hopes were a little high after the 2008 achievements. I think all our team have improved since then - it's just that everyone else has got even better!

I went to the basketball today. The weather wasn't very good but I absolutely loved visiting the park. Our view of the games was very good despite being in the "cheap seats". The second match we saw was GB v Brazil. It was very moving when we sang the national anthem at the beginning of the match. Sadly we lost but it was a very exciting game that could have gone either way right up until the last 4 minutes.

TotallyAngelic
07-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Massive congratulations to the UK Equestrian Team for their Silver Medal in the 3 day eventing ... gripping stuff as it was sooooo close. Only 2 points away from the Gold :dance3:

tennisfan
08-01-2012, 05:43 AM
I still think its early days regarding medals, in Sydney we won loads towards the end of the games. You just need one person to win gold and then it takes the pressure off.

Got to see the ladies hockey yesterday and team GB, the atmosphere in the stadium was amazing and the girls played really well. Loved it.

Got my first shift up here today which i'm looking forward to:thumbsup2

Captain Hook Jr
08-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Well we have a gold now :) wooohooo

queendisney
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Well we have a gold now :) wooohooo

now we have TWO :cool1:

We are finding we are living off pasta at the moment for our evening meals as its really quick todo..can't drag myself away from watching the olympics for long enough to make anything more adventurous. I keep sitting down for 10 mins then finding its hours later before I actually move again! Loving it so far.

COME ON TEAM GB...:cool1:

TotallyAngelic
08-01-2012, 02:38 PM
YAY to team GB for grabbing lots of lovely medals today ... make me proud to be British :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 We were so excited in work watching the girls win the rowing

meggiebeth
08-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Love all the patriotism that's come about during the olympics! I've always admired the US for it's patriotic views on the country.

Britain really seem to be coming together! We loved the gymnastics, especially the women's.

My dad works in London and is dreading going back to work on Monday. It must be PACKED.

ben1993
08-01-2012, 08:18 PM
There was a piece on the news about how Central London's traffic and footfall is actually DOWN, the Crowds seem to be confined to Olympic park.

I love the national pride too! It's really been a fantastic year to be British. Haven't missed a minute of the games so far, hooked!

luke
08-01-2012, 08:43 PM
I hate national pride in all honesty but have been enjoying watching the Olympics and seeing little glimpse of sports I'd have never normally watched :)

:goodvibes

Dimplenose
08-02-2012, 01:33 AM
I can't beleive how much I'm enjoying the Olympics this year.

It still feels rather odd to be happening in our time zone - I'm so used during an Olympics to wake up and watch TV reports on all the action that's taken place while I was asleep!

tennisfan
08-02-2012, 05:17 AM
I can't beleive how much I'm enjoying the Olympics this year.

It still feels rather odd to be happening in our time zone - I'm so used during an Olympics to wake up and watch TV reports on all the action that's taken place while I was asleep!

I know what you mean, I remember staying upto the early hours in 2000 to watch Steve Redgrave win his 5th gold.

My first shift yesterday was great, the atmosphere is amazing. You can hear the cheers outside of the aquatics centre and that is a massive place.

queendisney
08-02-2012, 05:43 AM
My first shift yesterday was great, the atmosphere is amazing. You can hear the cheers outside of the aquatics centre and that is a massive place.

Have you seen any famous faces yet?

I work for the NHS and have had people canx their appts to go and soak up the atmosphere. The lady I spoke to yesterday didn't even have any tickets but just wanted to go to the Olypmic park to take it all in. Obviously she isn't mega ill:rotfl:

Chilly
08-02-2012, 05:49 AM
I know what you mean, I remember staying upto the early hours in 2000 to watch Steve Redgrave win his 5th gold.

I remember doing that as well its a very fond memory as I watched it with DH and it was just after we got together.

What are you doing at the Olympics?

tennisfan
08-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Have you seen any famous faces yet?

I work for the NHS and have had people canx their appts to go and soak up the atmosphere. The lady I spoke to yesterday didn't even have any tickets but just wanted to go to the Olypmic park to take it all in. Obviously she isn't mega ill:rotfl:

Not yet, I saw a German cyclist yesterday in the athletes village as I was doing a drive around but could see who it was.

We are close to the athletics warm up track and a few have seen Usain Bolt training, I have only done one shift so will keep looking.

You do need tickets to get into the Olympic Park, a lot of us have been trying to get them but none are available and after Saturday that won't be an option as the Athletics starts.

I remember doing that as well its a very fond memory as I watched it with DH and it was just after we got together.

What are you doing at the Olympics?

I'm working for the ambulance service as a secondment to London ambulance service. I'm involved in park transport, so I drop & pick up ambulance staff who are working in the Olympic park venues. Most of the time we are walking around getting the freebies from the companies.

Samsung are giving out pin badges & the 1st 100 people to collect all 49 of them will get a Samsung Galaxy SIII phone. Tried to get some stuff from Coke but they haven't budged yet, we will keep at them:rotfl:

queendisney
08-02-2012, 02:11 PM
well didn't team GB do well today?:cool1:

Looking forward to the field and track now.

Clare D
08-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Loving it all. Well done team GB today. Fantastic results :thumbsup2

tennisfan
08-03-2012, 05:10 AM
A great day for Team GB yesterday, hopefully the momentum continues:goodvibes

queendisney
08-03-2012, 01:55 PM
oh my oh my...come on Becky Adlington!!! can't watch now....

hildasmuriel
08-04-2012, 04:49 AM
I'm loving the atmosphere everywhere. :goodvibes Eton Dorney is just a mile or so from here and the Park and Ride for it is around the corner, so all day long there are shuttle buses going past the end of my road. Even seeing them is making me feel excited.

My husband went to boxing on Thursday and is off to see quarter-final football today. He says the organisation is great and even when he is in work in London, he says it is all running smoothly with volunteers everywhere to help.

I was shopping in Cardiff on Wednesday when Team GB were playing at the the stadium and there was a real party atmosphere all over the city.

*sigh* Loving it all.

Danauk
08-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Well done to the mens coxless 4 for another gold this morning. Gold for 4 olympics in a row now!!

Ooh, gold in the next race too, womens lightweight double scull!!

Go team GB!!

hildasmuriel
08-04-2012, 06:56 AM
After the men's double sculls, Mark Hunter and Zac Purchase were heartbroken. Even John Inverdale looked like he would cry when he interviewed them. :sad:

queendisney
08-04-2012, 07:07 AM
After the men's double sculls, Mark Hunter and Zac Purchase were heartbroken. Even John Inverdale looked like he would cry when he interviewed them. :sad:

I know it was so sad that they actually think they let us down by not getting the gold. They were fab and gave every last piece of themselves they could. You can't ask more then that. I suppose its even harder to take for them as the last two finals before them were both GB golds..

TotallyAngelic
08-05-2012, 03:30 AM
WOW .... what a day yesterday .... felt so patriotic and proud to be British ... so pleased we have so much positivity associated with our nation at the moment.
I find myself drawn to the TV all the time to see what is happening and I wish I lived closer to London so I could wander down and soak up the atmosphere.
Go Team GB !!!!

queendisney
08-05-2012, 04:20 AM
a totally awesom day yesterday! Me of little faith saying that I didn't think we would do as well as we did in Bejing:rotfl: As they said last night if you look at the medal ratio to the population we are in front!:thumbsup2

My sofa has the shape of my bum moulded into it at the moment..:rotfl:

Ware Bears
08-05-2012, 07:15 AM
My sofa has the shape of my bum moulded into it at the moment..:rotfl:

Mine too :rotfl: and my eyes feel like this! :earseek:

thestevied
08-05-2012, 01:23 PM
As they said last night if you look at the medal ratio to the population we are in front!

this is the best thing, for me!

Ms Poppins
08-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I've found myself really caught up in this too. Been off work on holiday this week and don't want to go back tomorrow in case I miss anything :rotfl:

Well done Team GB! They're all fantastic :thumbsup2

thestevied
08-05-2012, 04:00 PM
How good is bolt...?

Chilly
08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
We had an awesome day at the tennis yesterday, se saw Laura and Andy in the quater finals, the womens single final, the mens double final, and the womens double semi final. We had brilliant seats right opposite the umpire.

Spent all day watching the Olympics today, sometimes with one event on the TV and another on the laptop. Team GB are doing so well. We keep trying to get more tickets but no luck so far although we do still have basketball to look forward to on Friday.

Ms Poppins
08-05-2012, 04:28 PM
We had an awesome day at the tennis yesterday, se saw Laura and Andy in the quater finals, the womens single final, the mens double final, and the womens double semi final. We had brilliant seats right opposite the umpire.

Spent all day watching the Olympics today, sometimes with one event on the TV and another on the laptop. Team GB are doing so well. We keep trying to get more tickets but no luck so far although we do still have basketball to look forward to on Friday.

Oh, lucky you! I was glued to the tennis all day yesterday and today. Fantastic result for Team GB :thumbsup2

torsie24
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
We're off to the Olympic Park on Thursday hopefully. :) Can't wait to see it all and soak up some atmosphere. Unlikely we'll get into any events but keeping our fingers crossed. Will enjoying just being there and watching things on the screens and seeing the store etc!

My Dad's at the velodrome today and even met two of the girls who won gold! I'm sooo jealous. He's heading over to watch GB in the hockey now. :)

meggiebeth
08-06-2012, 02:01 PM
We're off to the Olympic Park on Thursday hopefully. :) Can't wait to see it all and soak up some atmosphere. Unlikely we'll get into any events but keeping our fingers crossed. Will enjoying just being there and watching things on the screens and seeing the store etc!

My Dad's at the velodrome today and even met two of the girls who won gold! I'm sooo jealous. He's heading over to watch GB in the hockey now. :)

That's amazing that your dad got to meet two girls who won gold! So lucky! Thursday is meant to be really hot in London so you should get some great weather!

Do let me know whereabouts how much the tickets are if you get any. I looked online but didn't have much luck. I really want to head down one day soon- perhaps even for the Paralympics. :)

queendisney
08-06-2012, 02:43 PM
so pleased our show jumping team won gold after 60 years!

Usain Bolt was just awesom yesterday, it takes me 10 seconds to just get off the sofa:rotfl:

Ware Bears
08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Another numb bum again today :rolleyes: but who cares when we got yet another gold :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: well done to Team GB for making history today when they won the dressage. So proud of our riders and their horses. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

queendisney
08-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Another numb bum again today :rolleyes: but who cares when we got yet another gold :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: well done to Team GB for making history today when they won the dressage. So proud of our riders and their horses. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

I had tears in my eyes watching our dressage bloke Carl Hester..how fantastic was he and his horse. What a fab team they all were. :cheer2:
I used to do a bit of dressage but nothing like that standard just about managed an extended trot and reinback:rotfl: etc. Also my horse was a failed police horse, he didn't like crowds so didn't pass his test:)and neither me nor Shamus had the body for dressage, he was more of a 'show me a jump and I'll jump' kinda of horse!

GO TEAM GB

xJess1993x
08-08-2012, 06:07 AM
That's amazing that your dad got to meet two girls who won gold! So lucky! Thursday is meant to be really hot in London so you should get some great weather!

Do let me know whereabouts how much the tickets are if you get any. I looked online but didn't have much luck. I really want to head down one day soon- perhaps even for the Paralympics. :)

I got tickets last night for tomorrows womens basketball USA v Australia. If you have twitter you should follow @2012ticketalert as it is an automated programme which updates when tickets are available.

That helped me get Cat A seats for tomorrow. I'm excited centre of the court, five rows from the front. :) Good luck hope you can get tickets

tennisfan
08-08-2012, 06:44 AM

As far as we are aware no Olympic park tickets are available for the 2nd week due to the athletics starting and the park will have an increased capacity. They were £10 if you were lucky to get one the 1st week.

Try for the Paralympics though as Olympic Park tickets are listed but it is a case of keep trying. Rumour has it most tickets are listed around 9.30-10pm each night.

You might be lucky with getting basketball tickets as its now moved to North Greenwich arena (O2 arena) so will increase capacity.

We were lucky that the medical team let us into the basketball yesterday & we got to see 3/4 of the match between Russia & Turkey which was an exciting game with Russia just pipping it at the very end.

ETA: Just checked on the 2012 ticket site & no Olympic park tickets are available for any remaining dates.

torsie24
08-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Thanks Nikki,

We aren't buying tickets, will be added to a guest list, as my Dad's friends with one of the main organisers.

Not sure I can take the day off tomorrow though, so might go to a few weekend Paralympic events as we can get into any of those we fancy.

ABZDisneyFan
08-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Anybody still looking for tickets, donít not give up yet.
We were at the rowing at Eton Dornay on Friday & had such a great day that we decided that we had to try & get to something in the Olympic Park on Sunday.

A friend of ours managed to get hockey tickets for last Friday late on Thursday evening on the official ticket site.
I started looking on Saturday morning & events would come up but when I tried to buy them they had gone.
Perseverance paid off in the end though, when I checked the site again at 18:30 I managed to get two tickets for the menís 100m final, they were category A so not cheap but you canít put a price on a once in a lifetime experience & they were worth every penny in my opinion.
The Olympic Park was amazing on Sunday, we wondered about taking in all of the sites & just enjoyed the buzz, the stadium was amazing & when we got to our seats & realised that we were on the front row by the track.
The whole evening was amazing but the atmosphere in the lead up to the 100m final was incredible, you could have heard a pin drop before the race started, Bolt & Blake were two feet away from us when they were celebrating at the end.

Tickets for the next dayís events are released from 6pm, my advice is to be online & signed in to the official ticket site at or around that time. If you entered the ballot or have purchased other tickets they will have your Visa card details so all you will be asked for is the 3 digit code on the signature strip if you are lucky.
You have to be quick, suss out which event you want & when it appears go for it & donít mess about, if you linger or take your time the tickets will be gone.
There are some of the cheaper tickets available but from what I have heard the majority of them are tickets that were offered for sale to sponsors & or the Olympic family & which have not been purchased, so they tend to be the more expensive ones.

Having been lucky enough to see two events at two different venue's, I can honestly say that the atmosphere & general feel good vibe was something I have never experienced before & probably wonít again at a sporting event, my only fear is that any sporting event we go to now will be a let-down.
Good luck everyone.

tennisfan
08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks Nikki,

We aren't buying tickets, will be added to a guest list, as my Dad's friends with one of the main organisers.

Not sure I can take the day off tomorrow though, so might go to a few weekend Paralympic events as we can get into any of those we fancy.

Awesome, shame if you can't go as its amazing experience. If your dad knows anyone from Samsung ask why have they made it so hard to get the pin badges:lmao:

hildasmuriel
08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Another good day for us - FIRST EVER women's boxing medal as well as the dressage. :thumbsup2

My son went to watch the triathlon in Hyde Park the other day and he's gone today to watch the swimming at the Serpentine. He is planning on going to watch the marathon on Sunday too - he's got the bug.

queendisney
08-09-2012, 01:56 PM
We are just doing so well. The games have been spectacular. The organisers have done such a brilliant job.

I actually cried when we won the gold in dressage today. Its such a beautiful sport to watch. The music for the dressage was genius.

Ware Bears
08-09-2012, 04:06 PM
I actually cried when we won the gold in dressage today. Its such a beautiful sport to watch. The music for the dressage was genius.

So did I - first of all I blubbed my way through Laura's, then started off again for Carl and as for Charlotte's, it's a miracle I could see!!

What a wonderful day. :cloud9:

belliiee
08-10-2012, 03:25 PM
This Dutch girl is very happy to say we just won GOLD with field hockey! :dance3:

Dimplenose
08-12-2012, 02:32 AM
I've just got back from a holiday in Sorrento. The only English speaking TV channel we had was CNN (we were meant to be able to get BBC World too but couldn't.)

Somehow I don't think CNN had any rights to show live Olymic action as when we decided to watch Usane Bolt's race their coverage consisted of a live reporter at a Jamacain party in London and camera views of the crowd watching the race on TV!! How bizare??!!

Luckily we found another channel showing the race - you don't need an English commentary to understand a 20 second race.

tennisfan
08-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I have had an amazing 2 and half weeks working at the games & sad its all finished.

Team GB and London 2012 have done us proud:thumbsup2

queendisney
08-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Team GB and London 2012 have done us proud:thumbsup2

They sure did..loved it.

meggiebeth
08-12-2012, 06:57 PM
So sad it's all over... The worst part was when the Olympic flame was extinguished :(

Will the opening and closing ceremonies to the Paralympics be as good? We really regret not going to an event. My great aunt went to the opening ceremony and it apparently it cost het £150 to get in. Ouch.

Dimplenose
08-13-2012, 12:34 AM
I've never been a great sports fan but I have been to the basket ball qualifiers, had the cycling go past my street and been glued to the tv at times.

Now I feel like I do coming home from WDW - very deflated and shedding an occassional tear.

It was an amazing time.

mandymouse
08-13-2012, 12:44 AM
For months I would say how I couldn't wait for the Olympics to be over, but then I watched the opening ceremony, and I was hooked

What a spectacle London 2012 has been, I've loved it and I thoroughly enjoyed the closing ceremony too (Yay ! Spice Girls :rotfl2:)

What the heck am I going to watch now ? :confused3 :rotfl:

Well done Team GB & London 2012, you've done us proud ::yes::

Stickers118
08-13-2012, 02:07 AM
The Olympics have been amazing.:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I must admit to feel that we have missed out by not going but we have been glued to the TV.

Both ceremonies were fantastic and the kids have asked for them to be kept for future watching.

Very proud to be British after this last 2 weeks

loobzuk
08-13-2012, 02:30 AM
I was one of the minority who had been looking forward to the games for months (and I booked the time off work because I knew I'd be glued to it all!). It didn't disappoint and for once it felt good to be British - I kept remembering back to this time last year when the riots were in full swing (and we were on our way to Florida!) and it certainly wasn't pride in our country we felt then.

My highlighst were the rowing - I was at school with Sir Steve - and Mo Farrah with his wife and daughter after he'd won his first gold. I also enjoyed seeing the Royal family supporting Zara and who can forget the Queen and Mr Bean at the opening ceremony!

The low points were Becky Adlington - so much pressure on her to retain her title, it was a shame that she felt bad for 'only' getting a bronze medal and Tom Daley receiving those awful messages after he missed out on the pairs medal.

The strangest thing was finding out that I actually liked beach volleyball!

Not sure what I'll do with my days now there's no sport to watch!

Danauk
08-13-2012, 06:43 AM
What an amazing 2 weeks, team GB did us proud. The closing ceremony last night was amazing, so proud to be in the stadium watching it. I am very tired this morning though, we didn't get out of the stadium until gone 12:30am and I didn't get home until 3:45am!! Was worth it though. Now I just have to sort through all the pictures and video that I took!!

I almost forgot (I just remembered whilst looking at my pictures!). One part of it reminded me of Disney trips. There were several camera men on the ground who were riding segways with cameras mounted on them! It made me think of Epcot!!