PDA

View Full Version : Can you return a car at a different location from where you rent it?

mloren
05-09-2001, 11:15 AM
I'd like to stay onsite at WDW for part of my trip and won't need a car. For the second half of the trip, I'd like to stay offsite (to visit Universal, SeaWorld, etc.) and would like a car then.

Is it possible to rent a car at Downtown Disney (or elsewhere on WDW property), but then return it to the airport?

pw2pp
05-09-2001, 11:25 AM
Yes, you can rent a car at National Car Rental at the Swan Hotel and return it to any other Nat'l Car Rental place (airport, etc...)

hercamore
05-09-2001, 11:43 AM
Yes, but it's probably going to cheaper to rent the car for a week than pay day charges and tranportation to and from the airport for your party.You can get a small car for about$ll0 plus fees.for a week.

bicker
05-09-2001, 03:13 PM
Also, note that many rental car companies often charge a fee for returning a car to a location different from the one you rented the car from originally.

CarolMN
05-09-2001, 03:59 PM
Our party of 6 is renting a minivan for one day from National. We will pick it up at the Swan/Dolphin location and return it to the Orlando airport. National is not charging us a fee for returning the minivan to a different location. I don't know which of the other car rental companies do (or don't) charge a fee for this.

BTW, we are renting a minivan for the first four days of our trip. Picking up at the airport and returning to the Swan/Dolphin location. Our total length of stay is 10 days and it was less expensive for us to do this ( rent 1st 4 days and again for last day) than to keep the minvan the entire time. We won't need it while we stay at the Boardwalk.

Just FYI, Dollar does have a rental counter in one of the DD hotels. I'm sorry I don't remember which one it is.

Enjoy our trip

Gretel
05-09-2001, 04:48 PM
We are renting from National, picking up in Atlanta and dropping off at Orlando airport. There is no charge for dropping it off in a different place.

mloren
05-09-2001, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all the helpful info!!!

sgtdisney
05-09-2001, 05:49 PM
The last few times I have been to Florida, we either rent in Orlando (at the airport) and drop off in Ft Lauderdale or vice versa. At least with Dollar and National, the 2 companies I have been used the last few years they haven't charged a drop off fee.

Lewisc
05-09-2001, 06:43 PM
Also, note that many rental car companies often charge a fee for returning a car to a location different from the one you rented the car from originally

Car rental companies in FL generally don't charge a fee for drop off in a different FL location. I was told this is by law. Exceptions include Priceline, Hotwire, some exotic rentals and some of the smaller companies.

bicker
05-10-2001, 05:49 AM
Makes sense Lewis. I know that I've been charged fees for dropping off at a location other than the one I picked-up the car from. I remember this being the case on a rental in NJ/PA, and one in NV/CA.