PDA

View Full Version : 15 Year Old Dressed as Tinkerbell Not Allowed in AK

WaltD4Me
06-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I don't know, I guess I can see Disney's point, but I really don't think she and her boyfriend would have been confused as being "official" Disney characters. I thought it was kind of funny though, I saw this right after reading about how they have reduced the characters appearing at AK.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Disney-makes-Tinkerbell-change-clothes/-/1637132/14563772/-/1lontfz/-/index.html

JKMJ441724
06-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Holy crow! She's 15??:scared1:

laura_<3
06-05-2012, 09:57 AM
I wonder why DHS let them in whilst wearing their costumes :confused3

princess_ariel_85
06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Holy crow! She's 15??:scared1:

Ha ha! That was my first thought.

Dustykins
06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Rules are rules. It's not like it's something new they made up just for her. Plus, they gave her a tee shirt and fast passes. She got rewarded for breaking the rules and *she's* complaining? Really?

hockeymomNS
06-05-2012, 09:59 AM
I don't know, I guess I can see Disney's point, but I really don't think she and her boyfriend would have been confused as being "official" Disney characters. I thought it was kind of funny though, I saw this right after reading about how they have reduced the characters appearing at AK.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Disney-makes-Tinkerbell-change-clothes/-/1637132/14563772/-/1lontfz/-/index.html

That is what I thought......kind of ironic.

lugnut33
06-05-2012, 10:23 AM
She could have attended a Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party with no problem.

JoShan1719
06-05-2012, 10:29 AM
I wonder why DHS let them in whilst wearing their costumes :confused3

Because some CMs enforce rules and some don't. That's why you can call in with a question and get 6 different answers. It's just impossible to keep everybody on the same page in a big company like that.

Stacy's a freak
06-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Really?! She was crying days later when she did the interview? Come on! Get over it, start dressing appropriately for your age and move on. Sheesh!

ajpa
06-05-2012, 11:22 AM
If it was my kid she'd be hearing "I told you so" all summer long from me.
Tsk tsk.

monkeyknuckler
06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I feel sad for her because she seems like she really just wanted to have a good time, but I wouldn't feel sad for someone who went on and on about how Disney wronged them and wanted some $ as compensation.

Cherinva
06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't feel sorry for her at all. Disney has a policy and it's to be followed....Grow UP girl.

MWinKY
06-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Um, I don't think she looks like Disney's tinkerbell at ALL. But, I also agree with Disney's decision.

FlightlessDuck
06-05-2012, 01:43 PM
This has been a rule FOR YEARS.

disney david
06-05-2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/257971/19/Tinkerbell-denied-entry-to-Disneys-Animal-Kingdom

Stacy's a freak
06-05-2012, 02:19 PM
http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/257971/19/Tinkerbell-denied-entry-to-Disneys-Animal-Kingdom
When I first clicked on the link above, I thought it was a different article and saw an ad for crazy mugshots and thought it was this girl. :lmao:

disney david
06-05-2012, 02:24 PM
When I first clicked on the link above, I thought it was a different article and saw an ad for crazy mugshots and thought it was this girl. :lmao:

Yeah I know I looked at that and tough the same thing just a side note they also made her boy friend change. I don't think they should of gave them fat passes it not Disney fault guest don't want to follow the rules. The only thing Disney did wrong was not enforce it at dhs they should of told her she had to change and if she didn't have clothes to change into then she couldn't come in.

SaraMc
06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
While she did get into one park, Im really suprised that shes upset by this. Just watching the video my 3 year old said, oh look tinkerbell. Pretty sure she heard that in the parks from other kids and isnt that the point not to confuse the kids and have tinkerbell or any character misrepresented?
If I was the CM, I too would have asked them to change.

kaligal
06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I cannot believe a fifteen year old girl cried because she had to take her Tinkerbell costume off.

Seriously?

And they contact news people?

Her mother should have told her to quit crying and whining. She probably should have done that a long time ago.

DisneyKevin
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
It's silly that a 15 year old cried because she couldn't dress like Tinkerbell in a theme park.

It's silly that they called the news media.

The silliest thing however...is that ANY news media thought this was news fit to report.

Late Breaking Report

Live at 11!!!!!!!

Teen throws fit in 7-11 saying "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" sign is unconstitutional.

Add own crisis music.......

kaligal
06-05-2012, 03:09 PM
It's silly that a 15 year old cried because she couldn't dress like Tinkerbell in a theme park.

The silliest thing however...is that ANY news media thought this was news fit to report.

Late Breaking Report

Live at 11!!!!!!!

Teen throws fit in 7-11 saying "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" sign is unconstitutional.

Agreed.

It's the kind of thing you'd see on The Onion, not from real news people.

jcb
06-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Late Breaking Report

Live at 11!!!!!!!

I completely agree that this isn't and shouldn't be news . . . but any story that paints Disney World in even a quasi negative light generates a lot of interest and "hits" on the news organizations' websites. Sadly, it isn't about what is "news" but about what sells.

And strangely, the Italians used Vangelis (http://elsew.com/) (who is Greek) for their "crisis music." I found it very satisfying, even if it wasn't a tuba concerto.

DisneyKevin
06-05-2012, 04:00 PM
And strangely, the Italians used Vangelis (http://elsew.com/) (who is Greek) for their "crisis music." I found it very satisfying, even if it wasn't a tuba concerto.

Now that I think about it....there was a lot of slow motion running in Italy.;)

jcb
06-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Now that I think about it....there was a lot of slow motion running in Italy.;)

And I didn't think you noticed. I did try to keep up with the group.

PumpkinPastie
06-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Personally, I feel sorry for her at 15 you are still classed as a child. What if she had the mental age for a five year old and wanted to be her favourite character is that wrong also? Disney encourage people to buy t shirts and hats and everything else so that we can indulge our love of our favourite characters no matter what age we are.

I do understand that they have rules and Disney did deal with it in an amazing way.

kaligal
06-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Personally, I feel sorry for her at 15 you are still classed as a child. What if she had the mental age for a five year old and wanted to be her favourite character is that wrong also? Disney encourage people to buy t shirts and hats and everything else so that we can indulge our love of our favourite characters no matter what age we are.

I do understand that they have rules and Disney did deal with it in an amazing way.It would not be wrong for anyone who has the mental age of a five yo to want to dress up in the park. I knew such a person. He loved to dress up as Elvis and sing Elvis songs...not at WDW, but still. Not only is it not wrong, it can be a lot of fun for everyone. If dressing up inside the park is something they really want to do, I'd encourage the family to take them to MNSSHP.

But everyone has to follow the rules. A typical fifteen yo should not be crying because she has to take off her Tinkerbell costume. A fifteen yo with the mental age of five, I could see that.

To answer you signature question, just click on someone else's ticker.

Dustykins
06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Personally, I feel sorry for her at 15 you are still classed as a child. What if she had the mental age for a five year old and wanted to be her favourite character is that wrong also?

If she had the mental age of a 5 year old, she likely wouldn't have (nor would she be interested in having) a boyfriend.

sayhello
06-05-2012, 10:21 PM
While I agree this isn't a newsworthy story (human interest?) I do feel sorry for the girl. She obviously went to a LOT of trouble to do up that costume, and it was pretty awesome looking. To be anticipating it all this time, having a great morning at DHS, and then, suddenly be told she had to take it off or her day at the parks was over... That's sad. She's only 15. I agree ignorance of the rules is no excuse, and the CM was right to make her change, but I think she has every reason to cry.

Sayhello

WaltD4Me
06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
While I agree this isn't a newsworthy story (human interest?) I do feel sorry for the girl. She obviously went to a LOT of trouble to do up that costume, and it was pretty awesome looking. To be anticipating it all this time, having a great morning at DHS, and then, suddenly be told she had to take it off or her day at the parks was over... That's sad. She's only 15. I agree ignorance of the rules is no excuse, and the CM was right to make her change, but I think she has every reason to cry.

Sayhello

My niece was 14 when went to Disney for MNSSHP and she dressed up as Wendy. She was a big hit and alot of CM's complimented her on her costume. After the party, we went to MK a couple nights later and she said "Hey, I could wear my Wendy costume again!" it wasn't a party night and I explained to her she wouldn't be allowed to wear it. She had no idea of the rules, but as the adult I did. Her parents should have checked this out ahead of time to make sure it was okay before letting her get all dressed up.

Sammie
06-05-2012, 11:04 PM
They got exactly what they wanted, their 15 minutes of fame. :sad2:

lttlmc3
06-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I love the fact that absolutely nobody cares about the boyfriend "trying" to look like Peter Pan. So obviously couldn't pull it off.

kbelle8995
06-07-2012, 05:03 AM
I don't get why she had to dress up. I mean isn't going to Disney parks special enough. Oh well to each their own. But the situation could have been worse. I mean they did offer her fastpasses and free clothes. They just didn't tell her to get the heck out.

smiths02
06-07-2012, 06:09 AM
It is Disney policy for a reason.

And where are her parents? She's 15 so she can't drive and probably doesn't have much of a job...who is supplying the make-up, clothes, disney tickets, transportation? I wouldn't let my 15 year old be on the news crying about this.

Suz8
06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm not surprised the girl cried. My guess is that most 15 year old girls cry at just about everything. (I say this as a mom of two daughters.)

That being said, I support Disney's policy on this. I can totally see a 4 year old running up to the girl and wanting a picture. My guess is that attention was part of the appeal of dressing up. If she was the type of teenager that didn't want attention, she would not be dressing up as Tinkerbelle with a boyfriend as Peter Pan.
(On a side note: didn't the article say she was dressing up for her boyfriend? Did this mean it was the boyfriend's idea to dress up as Peter Pan?)

Disney goes through a lot of effort to screen, dress, etc their characters. Besides for children's safety, they also have an image to uphold and don't want amateur costumed people to be confused with their official ones. (I'm guessing). Some kid could be remembering their Disney vacation thinking Peter Pan looked a bit, um, less than clean cut.

Suz8
06-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Correction:
I just reread the article (sorry, difficult to go back and forth on my iPad).
It said she wanted to make her boyfriend's first visit special, so she dressed up.
Can you imagine what the boyfriend is thinking? (My first visit to Disney World, I dress up as Peter Pan for my girlfriend, and it's all over the news.).

PinkBudgie
06-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Correction:
I just reread the article (sorry, difficult to go back and forth on my iPad).
It said she wanted to make her boyfriend's first visit special, so she dressed up.
Can you imagine what the boyfriend is thinking? (My first visit to Disney World, I dress up as Peter Pan for my girlfriend, and it's all over the news.).

Yeah, I was thinking that would be a hard one to live down at school. :rotfl:

WaltD4Me
06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
OMG....I cannot believe how this story has spread! When I saw it, it was just on Click Orlando, but in my Disney Google news email this morning, it was everywhere. CNN, MSNBC, tons of newspapers and other sites. Ummmmmmmm, I think the "news" needs to re-familiarize themselves with the term. :rolleyes:

kermit116
06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Hahaha - love this!

Late Breaking Report

Live at 11!!!!!!!

WaltD4Me
06-07-2012, 01:32 PM
This is unbelievable......Now the girl's father is saying his daughter was treated like a murderer.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/tinkerbell-costume-at-disney-world-girl-treated-like-a-murderer-76224/

wendypooh
06-07-2012, 01:45 PM
This is unbelievable......Now the girl's father is saying his daughter was treated like a murderer.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/tinkerbell-costume-at-disney-world-girl-treated-like-a-murderer-76224/

OMG - this is ridiculous. In the article, the father states that there was a LINE of people following them, some asking for pics with them.......... THIS is the problem, Disney doesn't want some random person (implying) that they ARE a character. All sorts of issues can come up because of this.

I think Disney not only did the right thing, but went above and beyond in my opinion. SHE broke the rules, it was NOT her first time, nor her parents first time at Disney - I sincerly believe they KNEW the rules and were out for something. AND based on the media coverage - and CONTINUED media coverage, I'm guessing I'm right.

jcb
06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
"Murderer?" I'm an excessively protective parent but I can't understand this comment.

But at least we have a glimpse into why she thought it would be ok to ignore the rules. The apple never really falls too far from the tree.

NitroStitch
06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
She and her boyfriend were saying on one local news interview that there were lots of other "adults" dressed up like characters all around them, saying that they saw adult guests dressed as Snow White and another Tinkerbell right in front of them in line. Given that they weren't at Not So Scary, I found it highly unlikely that the parks were crammed full of costumed adult guests and they were the only ones that got "picked on."

I've been amazed at how many real news outlets have picked this up and have taken the attitude of "shame on Disney" instead of shame on the semi-locals that broke the rules. They haven't bothered to mention in the interviews about all that "bad old Disney" did to compensate them. :sad2:

As far as confusion over costumes goes, when I was in my wedding dress at Shades of Green after our wedding, there were a bunch of little girls that thought I was a princess, even though my dress and outfit looked nothing like any Disney princess. I'd imagine a Tink costume would have been far more confusing for a multitude of reasons. ;)

klineyqueen
06-07-2012, 08:57 PM

Late Breaking Report

Live at 11!!!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA love it!!!!:happytv:

Queenofspoons
06-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Besides their are more reason behind why they told her to change, for starters her costume is more revealing than the actual tinkerbell costume, so its inapprorate for the younger guests.

Then their is the whole suspension of disbelife thing about Tink's size in the parks, their is a reason why you never see her walking around outside her indoor meet and greet. The only times you see her outside of it is when she's in the electrical parade and when she is flying through the sky during Wishes.
Little girls seeing her walking around wouldn't belive that she's tiny in real life and be heart broken. :scared1:

disneysteve
06-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Um, I don't think she looks like Disney's tinkerbell at ALL. But, I also agree with Disney's decision.

I agree. And if she truly spent over 3 hours to get ready there's something just not right about that.

disney david
06-08-2012, 02:26 PM
"Murderer?" I'm an excessively protective parent but I can't understand this comment.

But at least we have a glimpse into why she thought it would be ok to ignore the rules. The apple never really falls too far from the tree.

I wonder how many lawyers are calling and how fast they can file the law suit that we all know is coming.

JenelleJo
06-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I kind of had to laugh at the drama in this story! Oh, to be 15 again and have your biggest problem be that you can't dress up as Tinkerbelle in Disney World...

It may have been a hard lesson to learn, but not one for the news. Rules are rules and she got a free shirt and passes! That's really cool of Disney.

I'm having a wedding in WDW in Jan 2013 and my "dreams" were crushed when I was told (thankfully in the early planning stages) that I couldn't wear any wedding attire into any of the parks. I hadn't thought about the fact that I might look too much like a princess and I had really wanted to go on some rides in my dress and get some cool photos. But once I was told, although I was disappointed, it totally made sense to me and I adjusted my plans and expectations.

Such is life. April might need to have a little talk with her parents (or maybe her teachers would be better suited) about real tragedies that happen every day in this world.

Poor kid. She's got a long road ahead of her.

EastYorkDisneyFan
06-08-2012, 08:15 PM
I wonder how many lawyers are calling and how fast they can file the law suit that we all know is coming.

I wonder if any lawyer would even touch this case, as chances are pretty good that they would probably end up with nothing.

disney david
06-08-2012, 08:20 PM
I wonder if any lawyer would even touch this case, as chances are pretty good that they would probably end up with nothing.

I bet their would be a lawyer out their that would take the case not a good one but still a lawyer that would spin it in the right direction. they will lose but their always a lawyer willing to take a case that makes no sense.

bytheblood
06-08-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't feel sorry for her at all. Disney has a policy and it's to be followed....Grow UP girl.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

skoi
06-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Late Breaking Report

Live at 11!!!!!!!

Oldest ds always likes to point out when he sees a sign saying that, "Well, it doesn't say I have to wear pants, or UNDERWEAR!" I'm thinking I'm going to be picking him up from a police station someday. I'd rather have free Disney gear and some fastpasses... If he sees the article, he'll be dressing as Tinkerbelle on our next trip.

pxlbarrel
06-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Guys, she's 15...yeah, some think that's old enough to know better but she's still really a kid. I think the fact that she looks older than 15 is contributing to unfavourable comments here. Maybe she didn't know the rules...and maybe her parents didn't either. I don't blame Disney for telling her she couldn't come in but I can actually understand why she's upset.

1. She said she spent a whole lot of time doing up her hair, makeup and probably making that costume. She was probably very proud of it.

2. She's probably embarassed by being told off by Disney CM's in front of her boy friend.

I gather not too many people here are costumers or cosplayers. I'm surrounded by people who spend the majority of their time making costumes and wearing them ... mostly at conventions but also at mainstream places. It's their passion. She got blindsided by rules she didn't realize existed. So she's upset. She was probably planning this for a while. I can see how she'd be upset.

Now ... everybody making this more than it being an upset kid (her father, for instance) are just using her now.

It's ironic that she chose the Peter Pan theme ... a boy who never grows up. Give the kid a bit of slack ... she's still a kid and there's ample time for her to grow up. It's WDW. She made a mistake ... no need to run her down.

It's not like she tried to reuse a mug from her last trip. ;)

JenelleJo
06-09-2012, 01:17 AM

:joker:

stemikger
06-09-2012, 01:30 AM

I don't think they were thinking of adults when they thought people might think they were real Disney character, but I can see how a child could easily think she was. From the picture of her dressed, I could not believe she was only 15. She looked more like 21.

DisneyKevin
06-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Guys, she's 15...yeah, some think that's old enough to know better but she's still really a kid. I think the fact that she looks older than 15 is contributing to unfavourable comments here. Maybe she didn't know the rules...and maybe her parents didn't either. I don't blame Disney for telling her she couldn't come in but I can actually understand why she's upset.

1. She said she spent a whole lot of time doing up her hair, makeup and probably making that costume. She was probably very proud of it.

2. She's probably embarassed by being told off by Disney CM's in front of her boy friend.

I gather not too many people here are costumers or cosplayers. I'm surrounded by people who spend the majority of their time making costumes and wearing them ... mostly at conventions but also at mainstream places. It's their passion. She got blindsided by rules she didn't realize existed. So she's upset. She was probably planning this for a while. I can see how she'd be upset.

Now ... everybody making this more than it being an upset kid (her father, for instance) are just using her now.

It's ironic that she chose the Peter Pan theme ... a boy who never grows up. Give the kid a bit of slack ... she's still a kid and there's ample time for her to grow up. It's WDW. She made a mistake ... no need to run her down.

I understand why she's upset.

I dont understand why it's news.

If we reported every time a 15 year old was upset, we 'd have ..well...The Kardashians.

pxlbarrel
06-09-2012, 07:51 AM
I understand why she's upset.

I dont understand why it's news.

If we reported every time a 15 year old was upset, we 'd have ..well...The Kardashians.

Slow news day? We read it so ... by reading it, it became news. LOL We're even discussing it ... so its... news.

I suppose it's one of those human interest stories that the press like to do once in a while when Country A isn't invading Country B or Dictator F isn't slaughtering his loyal subjects.

But ... I think the main reason ... and this is from being surrounded by costumers and cosplayers ... was to make fun of the girl. How many people read this and though, "FREAK!! Why would you go to WDW in a costume when it isn't Halloween?!! She must be a nutjob." That's typically why the press cover science fiction and comic book conventions. They want the story about the freaks. THAT's why I think this got covered.

mytripsandraces
06-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm having a wedding in WDW in Jan 2013 and my "dreams" were crushed when I was told (thankfully in the early planning stages) that I couldn't wear any wedding attire into any of the parks. I hadn't thought about the fact that I might look too much like a princess and I had really wanted to go on some rides in my dress and get some cool photos. But once I was told, although I was disappointed, it totally made sense to me and I adjusted my plans and expectations.

I know this is off-topic, but I thought I'd pass on that I've read here on the DISboards that some brides wear their dresses to MNSSHP and don't have any problems being in the park as a bride.

JenelleJo
06-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I know this is off-topic, but I thought I'd pass on that I've read here on the DISboards that some brides wear their dresses to MNSSHP and don't have any problems being in the park as a bride.

I should totally wear my dress to MNSSHP!!!

The cool news is we're going to book a special photo shoot and get to enter the park before it opens one morning to have a Disney Photographer take pictures of us in front of the castle. I'm looking forward to the VIP photoshoot more than the actual wedding...I GET TO WEAR MY DRESS IN FRONT OF THE CASTLE! Woohoo! :banana:

This Tinkerbelle girl should save up and do the same - I'm sure THAT wouldn't scare away her boyfriend at all...:rolleyes1

I wonder if they're still together. Anyone check the tabloids? Hehehe...

WaltD4Me
06-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Slow news day? We read it so ... by reading it, it became news. LOL We're even discussing it ... so its... news.

I suppose it's one of those human interest stories that the press like to do once in a while when Country A isn't invading Country B or Dictator F isn't slaughtering his loyal subjects.

But ... I think the main reason ... and this is from being surrounded by costumers and cosplayers ... was to make fun of the girl. How many people read this and though, "FREAK!! Why would you go to WDW in a costume when it isn't Halloween?!! She must be a nutjob." That's typically why the press cover science fiction and comic book conventions. They want the story about the freaks. THAT's why I think this got covered.

I honestly do NOT think this story became "news" to make fun of this girl. This story became "news" to make Disney look bad. I didn't look at every story, but the ones I did were sympathetic to her. And I certainly didn't think she was a FREAK, I just thought she was being waaaaaaaaaaaay over dramatic and I didn't think it was right to take the story to the media. The story spins different here because most people seem to understand Disney's point of view. Like Corey said on the show, they can't have "Tinkerbell" in the park smoking a cigarette.

DisneyKevin
06-10-2012, 09:57 AM
This is a bit of an over reaction and someone's 15 minutes of fame. That's all.

They didn't beat her or ban her from the parks.

They didn't humiliate her publicly.

They told her she could not wear her costume on private property.

If this "ruined" her life....she is in for a hard road ahead.

There are many rules in life.

You can't set up a barbecue in the mall...even though you like trees and air conditioning.

You can't bring your own sixer to the movies.

You can't go to a concert for free....even though it will make your boyfriend's experience magical.

And finally....you can't dress like Tinkerbell in a Disney theme park.

These are ridiculous examples....but then this is a ridiculous situation.

Cher said it best in Moonstruck.

SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!

stemikger
06-10-2012, 10:08 AM
This is a bit of an over reaction and someone's 15 minutes of fame. That's all.

They didn't beat her or ban her from the parks.

They didn't humiliate her publicly.

They told her she could not wear her costume on private property.

If this "ruined" her life....she is in for a hard road ahead.

There are many rules in life.

You can't set up a barbecue in the mall...even though you like trees and air conditioning.

You can't bring your own sixer to the movies.

You can't go to a concert for free....even though it will make your boyfriend's experience magical.

And finally....you can't dress like Tinkerbell in a Disney theme park.

These are ridiculous examples....but then this is a ridiculous situation.

Cher said it best in Moonstruck.

SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!

Well said!!!

I understand she is only 15, but was she there alone with her boyfriend or were they chaperoned by adults. If she was old enough to go to Disney with her boyfriend, she is old enough to follow the rules like everyone else.

On a side note, she looks more like 21. Oh and years down the road her boyfriend is going to look at pictures dressed like that and say "Oh My God what the heck was I thinking" Oh to be young and in love. LOL.

CampbellScot
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
yikes. If this is the WORST thing that has ever happened to this girl, I want her life.

Disney has an obligation to protect their guests from people who have not been screened or back ground checked or fingerprinted or what have you. Adults dressed as characters will attract children like moths to a flame. There are those out there with ill intent who know this. Disney knows this, which is why they can't allow it. If a child was lured in by someone who was hugging on them on them and getting close in ways a parent wouldn't let a non Disney, thoroughly screened, stranger get...now THAT would be a lawsuit. I mean the headlines alone could bring Disney down. I think this story just goes to show that Disney is aware of the safety of their youngest guests and they are doing everything they can to protect them. I wonder if the CM's at the gate of Hollywood Studios got into any trouble?

Bummer for the girl, who clearly is not yet mature enough to understand the why and how of what happened to her, but she'll get over it. Disney not only did the right thing, they could have asked her to leave. They didn't.

If I were that girl I would be MORE mortified at looking pouty and crying to a television camera!! MORTIFYING!!

Suz8
06-11-2012, 08:35 AM
It was really the parents who should have handled it differently. I can understand not knowing ahead of time about the rule, but if it was my daughter I would have apologized to Disney and then explained to my daughter that while I understood her disappointment, the rule is there for a reason. It could have been a good life lesson for her if handled better.

On a side note: Several people are mentioning they are surprised she is only 15. I have two daughters, younger than her, and I am surprised at how old they look sometimes. (Lord help me.). This is especially true when they are doing some sort of dress up/costumed thing (like a dance recital etc). My 9 year old did the Pirate League "Empress" package (girl pirate - blue eye shadow). My husband with with her because I was with my other daughter at BBB. After she was done, one of the CMs asked "Are you dad?". DH "Yes". CM "Got a gun?"
Lol. She looked beautiful, but soooo much older. Then we went to eat at the Castle, and the CM checked her in as a 10+ dinner. I didn't understand the connection until later. Now I know why she asked my daughter her age after I went back to correct the check in ticket. It wasn't a problem, but is a funny story. I swear she really is 9!

disneysteve
06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
On a side note: Several people are mentioning they are surprised she is only 15.

Being the parent of a 16-year-old girl, I can concur that many girls look way older than they are, especially when they dress nicely. My daughter is almost 5'8" so she automatically looks older just because of her height alone. Put her hair down and stick her in a nice dress and shoes and she could easily pass for 18 or more. Some of her peers would have no trouble passing for 21.

cat98c
06-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Am I the only one who found the funniest part the sheer amount of time the "news" camera spent focused on her green fingernails?

Unbelievable.

I will say that I completely understand why she was asked to take the costume off. At MNSSHP, my husband and I dressed in homemade Woody & Jessie costumes, and kids were constantly running up to us looking for candy as though we worked there. I can't even imagine what the kids would have thought on a day when the majority of park-goers WEREN'T in costume.

EastYorkDisneyFan
06-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Am I the only one who found the funniest part the sheer amount of time the "news" camera spent focused on her green fingernails?

Unbelievable.

I will say that I completely understand why she was asked to take the costume off. Wt MNSSHP, my husband and I dressed in homemade Woody & Jessie costumes, and kids were constantly running up to us looking for candy as though we worked there. I can't even imagine what the kids would have thought on a day when the majority of park-goers WEREN'T in costume.

The Halloween parties are different then every other day they bend the rules for them.

Stacy's a freak
06-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Ha! Now I want to do this! :lmao:

BayouMickey
06-13-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't know maybe I'm old fashioned, but I would never let my 15 year old go on an unsupervised "date". And knowing how "endowed" she was, she wouldn't even make it to the front door dressed that way. innocent intentions or not, their are alot of perverse people out there even in WDW..

cat98c
06-13-2012, 02:51 PM
The Halloween parties are different then every other day they bend the rules for them.

Yep, that was my point - that I get why that's the rule for everyday based on our experience at the Halloween party. :)