PDA

View Full Version : Kaboom! WDW ticket price increases, and it's not pretty...

doconeill
06-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Per the Disney Parks Blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/walt-disney-world-resort-ticket-prices-2012/

Notable changes: 1-day base goes up $4 to $89; The per-day increment on the longer tickets went up from $8 to $10, and now starts after Day 5 - the 5th day increment is $12. Park hopping and WPFM are up $2 to $57.

The one new thing - getting Park Hopping AND WPFM on a ticket is now only $79.

Now here's the shocker: Annual Passes went up a TON: A standard Tourist AP is now $574 for both Adult and Child - that's a 10.6% increase for an adult, and a 16.7% increase for a child!

Danibelle
06-01-2012, 04:44 PM
This seems extreme but I still think people will come. I don't know where the point is where people will just say no. 100, 200 for a 1 day. Not everyone comes for a week or buys an AP.

SamSam
06-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Ack! Trying to decide what to do. DH's AP will need to be renewed at the start of our next trip (Sept.22)...I'm thinking Undercover Tourist 6 day Pass and use that to bridge up to renew his AP when we get there.

Mine is good until Jan., so I'm not sure if I will do anything with mine. Ugh, these increases are getting hard to stomach.

doconeill
06-01-2012, 04:49 PM
I just noticed....I don't see anything about Annual Pass renewals at all...but I also don't see mention of the DVC AP price either, which is usually listed. Cheshire Figment will hopefully get the new rate card soon.

Kimberle
06-01-2012, 05:23 PM
I had a feeling this would happen. Last week I ordered tickets for our trip next Spring from Undercover Tourist. I'm glad I did!

Splat25
06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I was waiting for this and just got DVC annual passes for the whole family. I ran the numbers based off the DVC current discount and we just saved $$$ by buying right now. Good thing I had my ducks in a row for this one.... :scared1:

The savings off last years annual pass:
New AP $100/adult $91/Child
Renewal AP: $45/adult $41/Child

We saved about $300 by buying now if those rates apply to the new prices for DVC.

Phoenixblue
06-01-2012, 06:34 PM
We have been watching for this also. Bought tickets today to beat the Sunday price increase.

Seems Disney wanted to be priced over Universal.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-raises-ticket-prices-20120602,0,4517517.story

"A little more than a week after Universal Orlando raised its theme-park ticket prices, Walt Disney World followed by boosting the price of its most basic ticket to $1 more than its smaller rival.
A one-day, single-park ticket to one of Disney World's four theme parks will now cost $89, an increase of 4.7 percent from the previous $85. The same ticket to a Universal Orlando theme park costs $88."

simmons_m
06-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Just purchased our APs for our next trips (2 inside a 12 month period).
I imagine the 2013 price bump will be bigger with the opening of Fantasyland.

ADP
06-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Well....I guess we knew it was coming.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. The AP increase is the killer here. For our family who travels to WDW 2, 3, 4, and sometimes 5 times a year it's now harder to justify an AP (even if we are DVC members and get the DVC AP discount).

2. I believe there will be another ticket price hike for WDW before next June. Probably after phase 2 of Fantasyland opens later this year or early next year.

3. This increase won't stop people from going to the parks. What this, and future increases will do is prevent certain classes of families from going. As prices continue to creep up the lower income families will be shut out from the parks. It's a stratification affect at all income levels to a point when eventually only high affluent households will be able to afford to go. Middle income families are probably still ok, but at some point even middle income families will be shut out in the future.

We just renewed our APs for the year and I'm honestly considering buying another set of AP vouchers before the increase to use after our new APs expire next year to avoid the $165 price increase for 3 APs. :rolleyes1

KristEn87
06-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Well I'm really glad I have my AP this year and it's good until January, but I don't think I'll be renewing for next year even with the DVC discount. I still have 9 days left on a non expiring pass so at least I have those for next year. I'm thinking next year is going to be a DisneyLand year anyways and UGH on those prices! I'm super glad I bought my son a 10 day non expiring pass two increases ago! He'll be three in November so we bought it early knowing it would keep going up!

Cheshire Figment
06-01-2012, 08:34 PM
There are still discounted prices for AP renewals, and there is still special pricing for DVC and Florida Residents. The ticket sticky will be updated shortly.

Also there is a change in upgrade procedures. If a ticket was full gate price prior to a price increase the difference will not be bridged. However, if the ticket was purchased other than at WDW the price difference will still be bridged.

And an interesting note is that a water park annual pass is less than the cost of two one-day water park tickets.

doconeill
06-01-2012, 08:38 PM
There are still discounted prices for AP renewals, and there is still special pricing for DVC and Florida Residents. The ticket sticky will be updated shortly.

Also there is a change in upgrade procedures. If a ticket was full gate price prior to a price increase the difference will not be bridged. However, if the ticket was purchased other than at WDW the price difference will still be bridged.

And an interesting note is that a water park annual pass is less than the cost of two one-day water park tickets.

Ooh...that's interesting. So if I bought an 8-day ticket in a package or at the gate at the current price, and then added a day whether I used it first or not, I now have to pay the $10 + the price increase in the 8-day ($23)? OUCH.

kbelle8995
06-01-2012, 10:03 PM
I am going to see if I can downsize to a seasonal pass. It is less that the AP pass but will it be enough of a savings to be worth it. The dates work. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. In the meantime research research.

lugnut33
06-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Just picked up our 3 AP's we needed for the middle of June. Glad I got them before the increase. These will allow us to go in June, Nov. and December.

txvjc
06-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I am going to see if I can downsize to a seasonal pass. It is less that the AP pass but will it be enough of a savings to be worth it. The dates work. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. In the meantime research research.

I think we are going to end up doing the same thing...between the price increase and the fact that the AP now costs the same if its for a child or adult is going to stretch the budget a little more than I want it too, even if we are on the payment plan...

ukwildcat
06-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Just bought our Fl APs. Total savings buying today vs Sunday was $408. This was 2 adult and 3 children APs.

Fastpaks
06-01-2012, 11:24 PM
We are done. I have toyed back and forth on getting 10 day no exp for a year or two, but I can't justify the cost anymore. While I agree that lower income families are going to slowly be squeezed out, I can tell you we are not. With the other costs associated traveling to Florida, its just not worth the money for us anymore. IF I lived in FL or was within in a 10-12 hour drive to Florida, I would consider the AP and likely still be going.

PeterPan09
06-02-2012, 05:04 AM

1. The AP increase is the killer here. For our family who travels to WDW 2, 3, 4, and sometimes 5 times a year it's now harder to justify an AP (even if we are DVC members and get the DVC AP discount).

2. I believe there will be another ticket price hike for WDW before next June. Probably after phase 2 of Fantasyland opens later this year or early next year.

3. This increase won't stop people from going to the parks. What this, and future increases will do is prevent certain classes of families from going. As prices continue to creep up the lower income families will be shut out from the parks. It's a stratification affect at all income levels to a point when eventually only high affluent households will be able to afford to go. Middle income families are probably still ok, but at some point even middle income families will be shut out in the future.

We just renewed our APs for the year and I'm honestly considering buying another set of AP vouchers before the increase to use after our new APs expire next year to avoid the $165 price increase for 3 APs. :rolleyes1

Re: #3-that's how Disney was back before the days of readily available credit. When we first went back in 72, credit cards were brand new and not many people had them. Dad worked 2 jobs and Mom worked outside the home so we could have vacations at Disney. Of course, the early 70's were also the last years of decent income growth for the middle and working classes. Income hasn't grown, but credit became more readily available-which is what led to the credit crash, IMHO. Banks kept letting people have more credit, even though all the numbers proved that the majority of workers were actually making LESS money every year to pay it off. (even though most of those working people didn't realize it) It was only a matter of time before everything went BOOM, and the mortgage crisis was the fuse.

It is going to be very hard to sustain the vast enterprise that is Disney theme parks if the largest number of working people in the country do not have the income required to go there. A few wealthy folks at the top is not going to keep 4 theme parks, 2 water parks and ALL those resorts running. Yes, our foreign visitors do a great job (Hello Brazil!) and that will work for a while-but I am really concerned about the long term future if things don't change.

disney david
06-02-2012, 06:23 AM

I havE a question for you and sorry if it been asked before but if I buy an annual pass before the increase could I apply that towards a premier pass. And it do since I won't in Disney soon will I have to pay the diff of the price increase befits I could apply it towards the other pass.

*NikkiBell*
06-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Honestly for me, the way I see it is: It is what it is. I expected it and also expect an increase once Fantasyland is done. However, this will not stop me from going.

roomthreeseventeen
06-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Honestly for me, the way I see it is: It is what it is. I expected it and also expect an increase once Fantasyland is done. However, this will not stop me from going.

This is what I was going to say. Fantastyland costs money. They have to make it back somehow.

As for low income families, I don't think they are excluding a lot of people who would pay $85 but won't pay $89.

kbelle8995
06-02-2012, 08:37 AM

I will not stop going but I will cut back on what I am spending there. I am considering downsizing my pass because AP is just not affordable to me any more.

I have started thinking that I can spend that money going someplace else. I'm considering going to Universal or Sea World where I get more bang for your buck or saving that money for other vacations:thumbsup2. I love Disney but I'm reconsidering my love affair.

TIGGERmetoo
06-02-2012, 08:42 AM
I didn't see a date for this increase. Has it increased already?

doconeill
06-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I didn't see a date for this increase. Has it increased already?

Tomorrow.

Cheshire Figment
06-02-2012, 09:12 AM
When renewal time comes up, you can upgrade or downgrade between AP levels and you will still get the Renewal Rate of the new level.

I havE a question for you and sorry if it been asked before but if I buy an annual pass before the increase could I apply that towards a premier pass. And it do since I won't in Disney soon will I have to pay the diff of the price increase befits I could apply it towards the other pass.
At this time I don't know. I'm not back to work until Wednesday and by that time I will be able to get (hopefully) intelligent answers from either my supervisors or Ticket Services.

Cheshire Figment
06-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Here is some quick information related to the changes in pricing and handling of WDW tickets effective Sunday, June 3, 2012. Some specific details will be posted to forthcoming changes in the Everything About WDW Tickets locked sticky in the TPA&S Forum.

Magic Your Way Tickets

Where during the past year days 5 through 10 were $8 each, now days 5 though 10 are $10 each.

Past Hopping and WPF&M were all were $55 (except one-day hopping $35), so that both came to $110. Now Hopping and WPF&M have gone up to $57 (but one-day hopping remains at $35). However, there is a major price decrease to get both, as it is only $79 to add both to a ticket.

Annual Passes

With the exception of the Water Parks and Disney Quest, there is no pricing difference on any level of Annual Pass between Child (Ages 3 - 9) and Adult.

There has been no change in the pricing for Water Park or Disney Quest (or the combined WP/DQ) Annual Passes. As the one-day prices have increased a Water Park or a Disney Quest Annual Pass is less than two one-day tickets, and a combined WP/DQ AP is less then three one-day tickets to either.

Florida Resident

There are no longer any five, six or seven day Resident tickets, only the one day and the Play-3 and Play-4.

The one-day ticket will no longer have an advance-purchase discount.

The Play-3 and Play-4 now will have blockout dates. As of right now the specific dates are not available. Additionally, although the Play-3 and Play-4 tickets are still valid for six months from date of first use, it appears right now that all that are first used after June 18, 2013 will expire on December 18, 2013.

doconeill
06-02-2012, 09:21 AM
CF, about the new bridging policy, and adding PH/WFPM options - if a person is just adding an option like PH, do they still have to pay to bring the ticket up to the current price as well?

kbelle8995
06-02-2012, 11:24 AM
When renewal time comes up, you can upgrade or downgrade between AP levels and you will still get the Renewal Rate of the new level.

At this time I don't know. I'm not back to work until Wednesday and by that time I will be able to get (hopefully) intelligent answers from either my supervisors or Ticket Services.

Oh Thank you CF. I appreciate you letting me know. I used to be a CM but that was a long time ago and the tickets have gotten so confusing now.

cah5525
06-02-2012, 11:43 AM
My thoughts...
I don't think the intention is to make this an elite destination by pricing the hard-working wage earners out, instead...this is how Disney will maintain profitability. This is the one area we can't control or, get a good deal on. We can save money by staying off-site, we can save money by bringing our own food or eating off-site and, we don't have to buy souvenirs ~ that is the only way some families CAN go ~ But, every person must have a ticket so, it only makes sense to raise prices on the one area they still have control over!

G66
06-02-2012, 12:08 PM
My thoughts...
I don't think the intention is to make this an elite destination by pricing the hard-working wage earners out, instead...this is how Disney will maintain profitability. This is the one area we can't control or, get a good deal on. We can save money by staying off-site, we can save money by bringing our own food or eating off-site and, we don't have to buy souvenirs ~ that is the only way some families CAN go ~ But, every person must have a ticket so, it only makes sense to raise prices on the one area they still have control over!

Exactly:thumbsup2

doconeill
06-02-2012, 12:09 PM
My thoughts...

This is one of the reasons that I'm starting to belive that it would be a good thing for DisneyParks to be spun off from the mothership and be a completely separate entity - so it doesn't have to keep making up for shortfalls in the movie and TV side of the business.

I don't know how feasible it is, but DisneyParks profits are often used to prop up the rest.

kbelle8995
06-02-2012, 12:44 PM
You also have to consider that Disney wants you to spend money at their resort and only their resort. They don't want to stay off-site or not buy their souvenirs or food. They want you to buy those things as well as your tickets.

If they raise the ticket prices guest will figure out a way to bypass purchasing these things. At this point I think repeat guests are not at the front of their minds.

OKW Lover
06-02-2012, 12:51 PM
This is one of the reasons that I'm starting to belive that it would be a good thing for DisneyParks to be spun off from the mothership and be a completely separate entity - so it doesn't have to keep making up for shortfalls in the movie and TV side of the business.

I don't know how feasible it is, but DisneyParks profits are often used to prop up the rest.

Its a two-way street Brian. Actually a multi-way street. There have been years when Parks have been down and shortfalls were made up by entertainment.

doconeill
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Its a two-way street Brian. Actually a multi-way street. There have been years when Parks have been down and shortfalls were made up by entertainment.

I'm sure there have...but it seems to be more often over the past 6 or so years that the parks have been doing well in comparison.

True, if you separate, then you don't have any potential crutch to help against a loss...but many corporations deal with that.

I'm not saying it's practical or makes sense...

doconeill
06-02-2012, 01:04 PM
You also have to consider that Disney wants you to spend money at their resort and only their resort. They don't want to stay off-site or not buy their souvenirs or food. They want you to buy those things as well as your tickets.

But...they are making the incremental costs of the tickets higher and higher...in the past 5 years or so, it went from $3-$5-$8-$10. Certainly it's still cheaper than a single ticket elsewhere, but it is starting to change our plans a bit.

We're even considering a non-Disney trip coming soon, although we'll still use our DVC points unless we get a real good rate at Universal (and I have yet to see one...even when Syfy has their press event there, they only offer us $10 off the advertised rate...)

4u2nvme2
06-02-2012, 01:16 PM
We are going in October and taking our grandkids for their first trip. There will be 5 of us DD, DH, DGS, DGD and our little dog. We are camping at Fort Wilderness. We were going to Disney a lot years ago and started going to Universal. 3 years ago we came back to disney, but with all the increases we are now considering getting our annual passes back with Universal. Never could afford the one with Disney. We are a middle class family and I don't want to spent all my vacation money on 1 trip a year or less to Disney and not go anywhere else. You can cut back a lot but I don't want to stress out on vacation about money. It is my time to relax and have fun. :cloud9:

Cheshire Figment
06-02-2012, 01:16 PM
But there are only three reasons to really spin-off a major division from a corporation.

One is due to regulatory requirements (change in laws)

Second is to do a sale for an immediate long-term capital gain.

Third, which is what Disney did when they spun off their entire Radio Division, is to get rid of a money-losing operation.

disney david
06-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Thank you very much

3girlsfun
06-02-2012, 01:33 PM
The tickets price increase stinks. It stinks in a lot of different way. It stinks because I am not sure if I will buy AP's in the future. (I have my first set right now.) It has also hurt my clients. The price increase for those people who are traveling next week is killer. For example: this family had purchased 10 day hopper passes to book a package with dining. They were planning to upgrade to AP's once they got to Disney. It would have cost them $350+ to upgrade at the new prices. So, they completely changed their mind bc they had not budgeted the extra money 5 days before their trip.

Boo to the price increase, but, It will not keep me from going, so, I will not complain about it...I will accept it and move on. If I don't like it, I don't have to go.

cheerforchelsea
06-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I am so mad at myself!!! I forgot to upgrade my PH to an AP before I left there Wednesday!!

doconeill
06-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I am so mad at myself!!! I forgot to upgrade my PH to an AP before I left there Wednesday!!

You could try and call and explain. I believe some have been successful in the past.

tammydel
06-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Just got in under the wire and ordered my DVC AP!

disney david
06-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I am trying to buy a ap before the price increase and my only shipping options is will call how long is that good for wont be going to most likley sept i rather just pay the 5 shipping but they wont let me. so dose anyone know how long will call good for?

doconeill
06-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I am trying to buy a ap before the price increase and my only shipping options is will call how long is that good for wont be going to most likley sept i rather just pay the 5 shipping but they wont let me. so dose anyone know how long will call good for?

I am not aware of an upper limit, but September is certainly within it. Not sure why they aren't offering it via mail...

nickyb720
06-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Like Pete said on last week's podcast about Disneyland raising their prices, until people stop going, stop complaining. It's a shame that the prices are going up, but I'm paying for quality. And I'm willing to spend the money because I know I will get a great vacation out of it.

DrMomof3
06-02-2012, 09:54 PM
We're a family of 5 and our APs expire in late August. I will renew my AP because I'm running several runDisney races but I may not renew anyone else's AP. I was debating going to Disney for the February school holiday but if we can't afford to renew APs then we won't go back in Feb.
I suspect the change in AP price will change the number of times we go to Disney. It's hard to pay for 5 APs at these prices. :rolleyes:

I think these price increases really hurt Disney's most loyal fan base the most. I imagine that we're not the only AP family who will at least be pricing other vacation destinations. On our current APs we will have spent 17 days in the parks - 4 separate trips! We stay on property and eat many sit-down meals and buy souvenirs. A $4 increase in a one day ticket, even times 5, is $20 total. The new AP cost for a family of 5 makes me re-think multiple trips to Disney.

Amanda

disney david
06-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I am not aware of an upper limit, but September is certainly within it. Not sure why they aren't offering it via mail...

Thanks I figured it was okay i don't like doing will call I rather have the card I set up a new account on Disney and still just will call I emailed them so I see what they say. They use to ask when your traveling to decide what the best option but not this time the only option was will call. I am going to check Tom after the increase to see if they put back the shipping option I kinda think it has something to do with that.

Cheshire Figment
06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
A Reservation will remain in ATS until at least a year after it is picked up. When the actual ticket is issued, and indication is made in ATS of the exact transaction (location and date) where the ticket is picked up.

And a will-call can be picked up at any Park ticket or Guest Relations window, including the theme and water parks, TTC, DTD and the Epcot International Gateway.

disney david
06-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I am so pissed I going to call iger last night before increase only option was will call today after increase now they will ship them to you. I knew it and I told them that in the email I sent them I knew that was what their up to. But now after tax the non preuim pass is 611 so it Is a savings that be worth it but I don't understand why they couldn't give me the option to mail it I pay the 5 dollars if I am going to pay 552 what another 5.

disneyholic family
06-03-2012, 05:52 PM
oops - too bad i didn't see this yesterday.....oh well.

anyone know the new price of an AP renewal?

disney david
06-03-2012, 06:14 PM
oops - too bad i didn't see this yesterday.....oh well.

anyone know the new price of an AP renewal?

A non preuim pass after tax is 611 a preuim before tax is 699 they both went up basically 55 dollars before tax.

doconeill
06-03-2012, 06:18 PM
A non preuim pass after tax is 611 a preuim before tax is 699 they both went up basically 55 dollars before tax.

Those are the prices for new APs ($574 before tax for the standard). Haven't seen renewal rates yet on the Tourist APs.

disney david
06-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Those are the prices for new APs ($574 before tax for the standard). Haven't seen renewal rates yet on the Tourist APs.

thanks your right i missed the renewal part

lauran cameron
06-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Well there goes day 5, my travel day. I was going to do a 5 day with park hopper option but that was only for like 4 hours of park time were at BWV so figured we could wander around EPCOT on our last day before our flight home. Actually I honestly think it's only a $30 loss over all and as we all know $30 is chump change when you're planning for WDW...I will suck it up this time Disney, but I might have to cancel my ADR for Coral Reef now, you're cramping my style aka budget!!!! Well there's all ways overtime...:surfweb:

Anyone else remember these days...
http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/31b5f3e0.jpg

cah5525
06-04-2012, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=lauran cameron;45074274]...I will suck it up this time Disney, but I might have to cancel my ADR for Coral Reef now, you're cramping my style aka budget!!!! Well there's all ways overtime...:surfweb:

That's exactly what I'm planning. Disney is NOT getting more money out of me because they raised their ticket prices...we will just have to give something else up. No Behind the Seeds tour for me and the lil ones while the 2 teens WERE going to be at the Aqua Seas tour, and for 13 nights, We'll only be eating a couple of sit-downs...one of them being Rainforest Cafe (because I have $50 on their member card to use) and the kids will ALL have to agree on one place...usually, let all 3 choose their favorite for reservations.

Cherinva
06-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I booked my trip several months ago....so glad I paid it off early. The price increases won't stop me from going, (not yet anyway) but it will trim down the extras....and the spending money per day will be cut back......

DSNY4ever
06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
I think we spent this month's salary on DLR and WDW tickets :faint:. I knew these were going to be our last two trips for a while and all these price increases have confirmed it!

rodkenrich
06-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Your thoughts are on the money.

Cheshire Figment
06-10-2012, 05:33 PM
But what is the daily cost????!!!

Let's say that you are a DVC Member who visits for 15 days per year. Your adult AP Renewal has gone up from $24.93 per day to $25.67 per day, and your (age 3-9) child has gone from $23.00 per day to $25.67 per day.

Or, let's say you are not eligible for any discounts (non-DVC, non-Floridian, non-renewal) and you are getting a PAP as you expect two visits totaling 20 days within a year and you are going to use the PAP features. The adult has gone from $32.45 per day to $34.95 and the Age 3-9 has gone from $29.90 to $34.95.