PDA

View Full Version : Re: My son just had slipped capital femoral ephysis surgery!

Malela9
05-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Hello!
My 12 year old son just had hip surgery last Saturday. He had a pin placed in his hip and is on complete bed rest until he sees the surgeon next Friday.
We have annual passes for Disneyland. I am worried that he will be out of riding all summer! Anyone have experience with this surgery or hip surgery in general?
Will he be able to ride this summer? The Cars ride ( like Test Track) is coming and he really wants to go on it!
Please help!
PS. We have a wheel chair to go to Disney in.

I Love Pluto
05-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Some surgeries need to be undisturbed, others are solidly held without issue or worry. Your surgeon will take periodic xrays to see how everything is healing.

Every person is different in their healing calendar, so the only answer for now is "it depends". The xrays will tell.

Please tell him not to try anything without dr permission, or he could be repeating the surgery. That would be awful!

There is still a lot to do. Just remember - it's only one time out of many that he can't participate as he would like to. In the big picture, that's no time at all!

Good luck to you. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! :goodvibes :thumbsup2

Cheshire Figment
05-28-2012, 02:17 PM
When I had a kidney removed my surgeon told me that for the next six months if a ride had warnings for people with bad back, heart conditions, or pregnancy these warning applied to me.

disfan07
05-28-2012, 09:10 PM
I haven't had that type of surgery but there are so mnay variables with every surgery.

When I had my craniotomy, we went to WDW 6 months afterwards. I was officially cleared for all rides (clear MRI, etc) but I still wasn't feeling 100% so the only rough ride I attempted was Kali River Rapids....the first time was fine....but I should not have attempted a second time. I felt really sick afterwards and was in pain. Its been almost 2 years since my surgery and while officially, I have no restrictions, my body cannot handle rollercoasters of steep drops (so no space mtn, big thunder, splash, etc). But there are people who have had my surgery who could handle those rides.

But I agree with a PP that I would definitely NOT tell him anything until you talk to his surgeon. And in reality, the surgeon can really only give you his best guess. Your son may recover faster, or like me, he may have problems with rides for longer than expected.

SenecaWolf
05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
I've had pins/plates/screws put in, then removed, debridement surgeries, a hip replacement and then had it removed, etc...In other words, LOTS done on my hip. What kind of incision was done? Did they do a small incision in front or did they do a longer incision down the side of hip/thigh? Either way, the usual concern out of all the surgeries was dislocation. The muscles/tendons are cut, moved, reattached whatever the case may be and causes some instability in the joint. I know after a couple of surgeries I spent weeks with my legs strapped to an abduction wedge to ensure I didnt move my legs certain ways. Other times I was told if it doesn't hurt then go ahead and do it lol.

All in all, follow the docs orders, it is so painful to have a hip put back in place and it can set back recovery so much. When he does get up is he allowed to put weight on his leg at all? ie: Toe touch, full weight bearing, none? Make sure you double check with your doctor about what his range of motion will be, if he has to limit it for awhile, will stepping on/off rides be to much, will he be able to sit comfortably in the seats (At one time I was in a brace that wouldnt let me bend less then 120 degrees which made sitting difficult)

Good luck to your son! I know what its like to have hip problems at a young age, I was 16 when mine started.

Oh, and a suggestion for the wheelchair, try to get a gel cushion that has a flat underside to it. Sometimes sitting in the curved seat of a standard wheelchair puts alot of pressure on the hip that can be painful after awhile. I have a Jay cushion that I take with me when I rent wheelchairs (malls, etc...) and it is so much more comfortable.

Malela9
06-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Update:
My son went to the surgeon yesterday and she said 4 more weeks no pressure on effected hip. He had a small incision on side of leg to do the surgery.
In 4 weeks we will take him to the parks in a wheelchair. He really wants to ride the new Cars ride. She said she will see if he can put pressure on in 4 weeks. Poor love. He can't even go on Small World right now!

Nanajo1
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
I actually had this surgery on both hips when I was a preteen many moons ago. I remember having to be careful not jar the hip early on in the recovery. I was on crutches for several weeks I'm sure things have changed over the last few decades. My incisions were at least 12inches. I did recover and had a very active life. Best of luck to your DS.

FoxFam5
06-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your son and hope for a speedy recovery. I had this injury in the mid 1980's with the worst results - hip fusion due to total avascular necrosis. I still suffer from complications which affect my mobility.

My oldest son suffered the same injury 4 years ago in both hips and even though there was a small spot of avasular necrosis on one side, he was able to receive treatment over 2 years to prevent severe damage.

Please listen to the doctors regarding short term bed rest and possible recommendation against any impact activities for 1 to 2 years (depending on complications from the injury).

With patience and care allowing 2 years for healing, my son is now fully recovered and back to playing sports stronger than ever. We returned to WDW at the 2 year anniversary to celebrate!

Our thoughts are with you.