PDA

View Full Version : Changes

MinnieVanMom
05-27-2012, 03:25 PM
According to the Guest services there will be huge changes to the GAC program in the near future. I can't wait!

SueM in MN
05-27-2012, 04:04 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens.

I would warn people to not get upset about what might happen. Let's wait and see what happens.

(Another reason I ask people not to post specific things about GACs. Most of the information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is quite general and rooted in the ADA, so will not change when WDW changes the specific things).

Beccabunny
05-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Any idea how soon these changes are supposed to take place?

nyrebecca
05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
I wonder when the changes will take place. We have an upcoming trip and would like a heads up if it changes before then.

cm8
05-28-2012, 12:12 AM
According to the Guest services there will be huge changes to the GAC program in the near future. I can't wait!

It was bound to happen:scared:

Mom2six
05-28-2012, 12:14 AM

Is there something that you are hoping happens with the changes? :confused: I'm confused - is there a reason to be so excited?

LockShockBarrel
05-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Maybe less grey area in who does and doesn't get them or a better way of educating CMs on how to handle things? Personally I think they should do away with the paper cards and print out something like the room keys that would have a guest's picture and needs attached to it. Expensive but not un-doable.

jdb in AZ
05-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Any idea if the changes will affect both WDW and DLR, or if they'll phase in the changes as an experiment at one park before implementing them at both?

MinnieVanMom
05-28-2012, 01:34 AM
It may be more like Universal where those with an assistance pass will be given a time to come back.

Mom2six
05-28-2012, 01:38 AM
It may be more like Universal where those with an assistance pass will be given a time to come back.

That would be nice. :) I hadn't really heard about the possible changes until this thread. Hopefully, the system will work well for everyone, and help to prevent abuses.

bookwormde
05-28-2012, 06:59 AM
The major issue disney has is that GAC is only for rides, so hopefully it will be used to better supply accomidations throughout WDW

Cheshire Figment
05-28-2012, 08:58 AM
The major issue disney has is that GAC is only for rides, so hopefully it will be used to better supply accomodations throughout WDW
Not correct.

It is for attractions which include both rides and shows.

It clearly does not affect outside of park transportation and also does not affect anything in the water parks.

stitchlovestink
05-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by bookwormde

The major issue disney has is that GAC is only for rides, so hopefully it will be used to better supply accomodations throughout WDW

Not correct.

It clearly does not affect outside of park transportation and also does not affect anything in the water parks.
Cheshire,
I'm confused. Are you saying that the GAC is only good for rides and attractions OR the upcoming changes to the GAC are only going to impact attractions that have both a show and ride? so if the latter applies say for example Toy Story Midway Mania would NOT be affected because it is only a ride as well as say Voyage of the Little Mermaid because it is only a show. But say something like Tower of Terror would be because it has a preshow followed by a ride?? or have I just read way too deep into your comment? LoL

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

livndisney
05-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Cheshire,
I'm confused. Are you saying that the GAC is only good for rides and attractions OR the upcoming changes to the GAC are only going to impact attractions that have both a show and ride? so if the latter applies say for example Toy Story Midway Mania would NOT be affected because it is only a ride as well as say Voyage of the Little Mermaid because it is only a show. But say something like Tower of Terror would be because it has a preshow followed by a ride?? or have I just read way too deep into your comment? LoL

Not Chesire-but currently the GAC is used only for rides and shows(at the 4 main parks). So a GAC can be used for TOT (a ride) or VOTLM(a show).

A pp mentioned a set return time-I will say I don't see how a set return time is going to meet a lot of needs.

In all honesty, we hear all the time that "changes are coming" and it rarely happens. And certainly not to the level people react to.

IF changes happen, I will address any issues we have then. Until then, I am not going to worry about it.

stitchlovestink
05-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

Cheshire,

Not Chesire-but currently the GAC is used only for rides and shows(at the 4 main parks). So a GAC can be used for TOT (a ride) or VOTLM(a show).

A pp mentioned a set return time-I will say I don't see how a set return time is going to meet a lot of needs.

In all honesty, we hear all the time that "changes are coming" and it rarely happens. And certainly not to the level people react to.

IF changes happen, I will address any issues we have then. Until then, I am not going to worry about it.

Thank you but I do totally understand how a GAC works...
I was trying to understand what Cheshire was trying to say. there might be something they are changing about certain attractions...but maybe i was misunderstanding his post that's why i asked him. :)

Lisa71
05-28-2012, 04:10 PM
My guess is that the changes will make sure the needs of specific guest are met, and to prevent abuse as well. We have seen a lot of abuse, and since our DS "appears" typical to some we have had stares as well. When you see three teens hop in and out of a wheelchair while your wobbly boy is standing behind them it needs to be changed. Hoping it is a GOOD thing!

LockShockBarrel
05-28-2012, 05:50 PM
The stares aren't going to change. No matter what happens, people are always going to assume you're cheating if they can't see what might be wrong. Unfortunate but true.

ttintagel
05-28-2012, 06:01 PM
That's why I always assume everyone I see using a GAC/wheelchair/assistive device/etc. needs to use it. Because I want others to show that same courtesy to me.

mcraft17
05-28-2012, 06:03 PM
I am hoping it will be like a fast pass for those that need to use an alternate waiting area. My dd has Asperger's and extreme anxiety and we have had a GAC for the last couple of trips, it is a blessing but we tend to tour so that we may only have to use it a handful of times if that. But we have no problem waiting she just can't do it for very long with a bunch of people or we have a melt down and explaining to people why your teenager is acting that way is hard to explain. We go back in a week (and have not been in the summer for a long time) and I am so worried that with the changes they may not want to grant us another one. I think if they did the fast pass for the gac maybe less people would abuse it since it will not get you right in. Either way I hope the change helps keep abuse down but allows those who need it to be able to use it. :goodvibes

mcraft17
05-28-2012, 06:04 PM
That's why I always assume everyone I see using a GAC/wheelchair/assistive device/etc. needs to use it. Because I want others to show that same courtesy to me.

I agree! :thumbsup2

Beccabunny
05-28-2012, 06:41 PM
I am hoping it will be like a fast pass for those that need to use an alternate waiting area. My dd has Asperger's and extreme anxiety and we have had a GAC for the last couple of trips, it is a blessing but we tend to tour so that we may only have to use it a handful of times if that. But we have no problem waiting she just can't do it for very long with a bunch of people or we have a melt down and explaining to people why your teenager is acting that way is hard to explain. We go back in a week (and have not been in the summer for a long time) and I am so worried that with the changes they may not want to grant us another one. I think if they did the fast pass for the gac maybe less people would abuse it since it will not get you right in. Either way I hope the change helps keep abuse down but allows those who need it to be able to use it. :goodvibes

The GAC as it exists now does not get you into an attraction immediately. Making it work like a Fastpass where you have to come back later would not be helpful for my daughter, and I imagine many other children with autism, because she would be going up to a ride entrance to show her GAC to the CM and then be turned away and told to come back later. I don't see how this would stop abuse. Some of the abusers would probably like to have an unlimited Fastpass and the abuse would continue.

mcraft17
05-28-2012, 07:13 PM
The GAC as it exists now does not get you into an attraction immediately. Making it work like a Fastpass where you have to come back later would not be helpful for my daughter, and I imagine many other children with autism, because she would be going up to a ride entrance to show her GAC to the CM and then be turned away and told to come back later. I don't see how this would stop abuse. Some of the abusers would probably like to have an unlimited Fastpass and the abuse would continue.

True it might not be the best fit for everyone and what works for one may not work for another, although I think that in the long run it may become harder and harder to accomidate everyone. I will be happy no matter what they decide as long as it is still given to those that need it and not removed all together. Here is hoping that it will continue to be a blessing to all that need it and help everyone to have a great vacation! :)

Lisa71
05-28-2012, 07:51 PM
I always assume the best as I know first hand about assumptions..but when you are in line with multiple people choosing who is "disabled" and changing whose name is "Mike"...yep, saw it at DL...I said nothing as I think if they are so inclined as to cheat it makes little differance, but I know a lot of other parents said things. One little guy in a wheelchair said "No fair Mom"..he was right..his Mom said thought "Sweetie, lots of things aren't fair and they might have their own issues". My son was unaware, but the little guy was right.

Beccabunny
05-28-2012, 08:49 PM
What can Disney do to stop abuse without taking away current accommodations that really work for those who need them?

dvc one day
05-28-2012, 09:08 PM
What can Disney do to stop abuse without taking away current accommodations that really work for those who need them?

Nothing. In the same way that I have never seen a ticket on someones car for parking a handicapped spot, there will always be abuse which Disney can't stop. If they do try, they take a risk of hurting people that need help.

OP mentioned "huge changes", which could mean anything. No way we could speculate on what will be the result, or if people will be happy or mad about the changes (probably both). :)

On Star Tours they already give you the "come back later" ticket. I am not sure if that helps most people, but you don't need a GAC for that if you are in a wheelchair. Hope that does not become the new normal for all rides.

side note: GAC is not a short cut. I waited forever the last time a rode TSMM (much longer than stand-by line) because of so many wheelchairs in front of me. I probably will not ask for a GAC next time.

No matter what happens, I will have fun. No one is allowed to ruin my fun. ;)

Beccabunny
05-28-2012, 09:36 PM
I am beginning to feel the talk of changes is not really due to abuse, but rather because of the non-stop complaining from able-bodied guests who think somebody with a disability is gaining some kind of advantage.

SueM in MN
05-28-2012, 09:54 PM
The major issue disney has is that GAC is only for rides, so hopefully it will be used to better supply accomidations throughout WDW

Not correct.

Cheshire,

To clarify -
bookwormde posted that GACs were only for rides.

Cheshire Figment correctly posted that GACs are used for attractions.
Some attractions are rides. Some attractions are shows or movies.

Cheshire Figment added that GACs are not used outside of the parks, for transportation or at the water parks.

Nothing. In the same way that I have never seen a ticket on someones car for parking a handicapped spot, there will always be abuse which Disney can't stop. If they do try, they take a risk of hurting people that need help.

OP mentioned "huge changes", which could mean anything. No way we could speculate on what will be the result, or if people will be happy or mad about the changes (probably both). :)

On Star Tours they already give you the "come back later" ticket. I am not sure if that helps most people, but you don't need a GAC for that if you are in a wheelchair. Hope that does not become the new normal for all rides.

side note: GAC is not a short cut. I waited forever the last time a rode TSMM (much longer than stand-by line) because of so many wheelchairs in front of me. I probably will not ask for a GAC next time.

The issue with Toy Story Midway Mania is that the regular (and Fastpass) line has stairs. So anyone who has an issue with stairs ( wheelchair, other mobility device, other issues) is forced to use the accessible boarding area because it is the only way to avoid the stairs.
They only load one ride car pod there per ride cycle, so the line there can get very long.

That happens on any attraction where the regular boarding area is not accessible. On our last trip, a few weeks ago, DH and DD had gotten into the wheelchair accessible line for Small World. They had been waiting there for about 20 minutes when I arrived (we had split up earlier while I did something DD can't do). Because the accessible line was very full, I could not catch up with them to ride with them, so I got in the regular line. Even though I entered the regular line more than 20 minutes after then, when we boarded, they were only 2 boats ahead of me. So, they waited more than 20 minutes longer than I did, just because they needed the accessible line.

This is something I hope the changes address. Any system that forces people with special needs (whatever their needs are) to wait significantly longer than they would otherwise wait is broken, at least to some extent.

Cheshire Figment
05-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Currently I have not heard of any forthcoming changes.

I would be interested in knowing did MinnieVanMom hear this from someone actually in a Guest Relations Office at one of the Parks or from somebody on the telephone. If on the phone, it was more than likely at a call center and less reliable than a Jungle Cruise Captain or a Bus Driver.

dvc one day
05-28-2012, 10:25 PM
If on the phone, it was more than likely at a call center and less reliable than a Jungle Cruise Captain or a Bus Driver.

Wait..I thought Jungle Cruise Captain and Bus Driver were synonymous with "well-informed" ;)

SueM in MN
05-28-2012, 10:39 PM

I would be interested in knowing did MinnieVanMom hear this from someone actually in a Guest Relations Office at one of the Parks or from somebody on the telephone. If on the phone, it was more than likely at a call center and less reliable than a Jungle Cruise Captain or a Bus Driver.
Thanks.
Even if MinnieVanMom's source is in Guest Relations does not neccessarily mean anything is going to change.
Or, of it is going to change, how soon.

There have been rumors for a while that some changes [i]may [/] roll out when the Fastpass next generation rolls out, but no one knows what, why or when ( or even if).

MinnieVanMom
05-29-2012, 02:23 AM

Post #1, I was told by guest services inside the park, not the jungle cruise captain.:rotfl:

bookwormde
05-29-2012, 07:22 AM
my bad, doing a quick post.

It does work for many shows, but not character greets and similar attractions, not for park entrance lines, parades, transportation, eating venues etc.

keishashadow
05-29-2012, 07:33 AM

just back, it was busy and we were sent thru FP lane on Star Tours. Either option would've been fine by us.

I'd hate to see GACs discontinued entirely but know that disney will continue to comply with ADA guidelines. Was told a few years ago at Guest Services that they were working towards mainstreaming access to rides to make them accessible in lieu of alternate entrances. Perhaps they've achieved it and will be making an announcement = what the OP was told:confused3I realize that for many that doesn't take care of their specific needs and they would still need to address it with GS but it might cut down on the number of people asking for an accommodation.

ttintagel
05-29-2012, 09:01 AM
i am beginning to feel the talk of changes is not really due to abuse, but rather because of the non-stop complaining from able-bodied guests who think somebody with a disability is gaining some kind of advantage.

*bingo*

Schmeck
05-29-2012, 03:15 PM
my bad, doing a quick post.

It does work for many shows, but not character greets and similar attractions, not for park entrance lines, parades, transportation, eating venues etc.

Why would a GAC even be considered for park entrance lines, transportation, and eating venues, which are all first come, first served? Are you saying that because someone has a disability of some sort that they should be served before someone else? That would be against the ADA - as it would not be offering equal access.

clanmcculloch
05-29-2012, 03:36 PM
There are accessibility accomodations at shows, but my experience has been that there are no other accomodations at shows. I've asked at a few different shows if we can wait off to the side rather than in the line, making it clear to the CM that we'd gladly enter the theatre at the very end even if it means standing at the back just so that we can not stand in the regular waiting area and we've consistently been told that's not something that they do, that there is no accomodation at shows. Has something changed? I haven't bothered asking in a couple years and frankly haven't gone to many shows in that time because of it, unless it's a show that I know I can walk into last minute based on planning using a touring plan because there is just no way DD14 can stand in the regular line.

I'm not going to worry about "big changes coming soon" until I actually hear something is changing. Things are already somewhat unpredictable about how GACs are handled so I don't see this as being any different and is why we try to use it as little as possible, relying on really strong touring plans for the majority of our needs.

EastYorkDisneyFan
05-29-2012, 09:56 PM
There are accessibility accomodations at shows, but my experience has been that there are no other accomodations at shows. I've asked at a few different shows if we can wait off to the side rather than in the line, making it clear to the CM that we'd gladly enter the theatre at the very end even if it means standing at the back just so that we can not stand in the regular waiting area and we've consistently been told that's not something that they do, that there is no accomodation at shows. Has something changed? I haven't bothered asking in a couple years and frankly haven't gone to many shows in that time because of it, unless it's a show that I know I can walk into last minute based on planning using a touring plan because there is just no way DD14 can stand in the regular line.

It may be a case of they don't actually have somewhere for you to wait. As most of the shows have you waiting in a large room before going into the theater they don't have any other space to wait. Your best bet would be t note how long the show is and how long the line is and come back as close to the start of the show that you can like for example with Oh Canada they show the progress of the show by the entrance of the building with the waiting area in it and you can judge from it how long until the next show and just come back a few minutes before the show ends.

aubriee
05-30-2012, 02:23 AM
Why would a GAC even be considered for park entrance lines, transportation, and eating venues, which are all first come, first served? Are you saying that because someone has a disability of some sort that they should be served before someone else? That would be against the ADA - as it would not be offering equal access.

We were next in line to get on the next bus one evening when MK was having EMH. Just as the bus pulled up, a lady came running up waving a GAC. As people were trying to get off the bus, the lady pushed her way through them, even with the bus driver telling her to please step back so the other guests could unload. We heard her telling the bus driver that she had a GAC for her son and they needed to be loaded first. The driver again asked her to step back and said he would talk to her after everyone was unloaded. He then explained to her that GAC's were not used for transportation and she immediately got really angry, started spouting off about the ADA and that her party had to be loaded first to make sure they had seats, as her son could not handle standing with big crowds around him. She just kept insisting they had a right to "preboard before everyone else". The driver again told her that a GAC was not used for transportation services and she needed to get in the back of the line as there was already more people at the stop than his bus would hold and they would probably be one of the first on the next bus anyway. She got really angry and demanded a supervisor. Not really sure what happened as we went ahead and loaded. That bus was obviously going to be standing room only, yet she came running up at the last minute and expected to be let on before all of us that had been standing there over half an hour. So no, some people do not understand when you can and when you can't use a GAC and she did expect front of the line privileges. Since she had apparently been using it all day, you'd think she'd know that a GAC does not give you automatic FOL priviledges, so I wonder if she wasn't just trying to bully the bus driver or if she really thought they could use it for transportation.

clanmcculloch
05-30-2012, 09:11 AM
It may be a case of they don't actually have somewhere for you to wait. As most of the shows have you waiting in a large room before going into the theater they don't have any other space to wait. Your best bet would be t note how long the show is and how long the line is and come back as close to the start of the show that you can like for example with Oh Canada they show the progress of the show by the entrance of the building with the waiting area in it and you can judge from it how long until the next show and just come back a few minutes before the show ends.

I appreciate the suggestion. It's pretty much what we do along with making sure that we're going to shows at an optimal time in the day to avoid shows filling up but there are some shows that we simple can not do because we're not allowed to wait in an area that is there but just not considered to be an accomodation. For instance, my 14yo can NOT wait in that VotLM waiting room. She completely freaks out in there. I can only guess that it feels kind of claustrophobic to her because it feels small, dark and even a bit claustrophobic to me and I don't even have her issues. I've asked if we can just wait at the back of the room towards the door (to the side where we wouldn't be in the way) rather than pushing up to the front like they keep insisting everybody does and even that wasn't allowed. If we're standing nearby and they hit capacity then even though we've been actually waiting longer than others, we can't go see the show because they're full and we're not counted in that crowd because we weren't in the room. Same type of thing happens at Indiana Jones. Wheelchairs wait separately than others. I've asked if we can just wait with the wheelchair bound guests, offering to go in after the folks in the regular line if we can just wait there instead of in the line and we've been told no. Well, when we went back close to the show start time, the show was full so we couldn't go in. We would have waited like everybody else but the line was not going to work so we didn't get to see the show. There are areas where we could wait at some shows but we've been told that our GAC just is not usable at shows. So, we go at times when shows typically won't fill and cross our fingers that we'll be able to go in last minute. I accepted this a long time ago but it does make me wonder why we're being told in this thread that GACs CAN be used at shows when I've been repeatedly told that they can't.

livndisney
05-30-2012, 09:19 AM
I appreciate the suggestion. It's pretty much what we do along with making sure that we're going to shows at an optimal time in the day to avoid shows filling up but there are some shows that we simple can not do because we're not allowed to wait in an area that is there but just not considered to be an accomodation. For instance, my 14yo can NOT wait in that VotLM waiting room. She completely freaks out in there. I can only guess that it feels kind of claustrophobic to her because it feels small, dark and even a bit claustrophobic to me and I don't even have her issues. I've asked if we can just wait at the back of the room towards the door (to the side where we wouldn't be in the way) rather than pushing up to the front like they keep insisting everybody does and even that wasn't allowed. If we're standing nearby and they hit capacity then even though we've been actually waiting longer than others, we can't go see the show because they're full and we're not counted in that crowd because we weren't in the room. Same type of thing happens at Indiana Jones. Wheelchairs wait separately than others. I've asked if we can just wait with the wheelchair bound guests, offering to go in after the folks in the regular line if we can just wait there instead of in the line and we've been told no. Well, when we went back close to the show start time, the show was full so we couldn't go in. We would have waited like everybody else but the line was not going to work so we didn't get to see the show. There are areas where we could wait at some shows but we've been told that our GAC just is not usable at shows. So, we go at times when shows typically won't fill and cross our fingers that we'll be able to go in last minute. I accepted this a long time ago but it does make me wonder why we're being told in this thread that GACs CAN be used at shows when I've been repeatedly told that they can't.

Using GAC at shows can be largely hit or miss. We have used it at FOTLK. (But due to other issues we can't do this show anymore.) VOTLK, we have not tried in years (that waiting room is killer). But we have been allowed to wait off to the side (outside) until the people start going into the actual theater. LMA is a nightmare. We have had mixed experiences. I don't remember ever being told a GAC cannot be used for shows. I just find the "assistance" offered is not really what we need, so we can't do some shows.

dclfun
05-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Using GAC at shows can be largely hit or miss. We have used it at FOTLK. (But due to other issues we can't do this show anymore.) VOTLK, we have not tried in years (that waiting room is killer). But we have been allowed to wait off to the side (outside) until the people start going into the actual theater. LMA is a nightmare. We have had mixed experiences. I don't remember ever being told a GAC cannot be used for shows. I just find the "assistance" offered is really what we need, so we can't do some shows.

When the GAC is used for shows, it's usually for hidden disabilities, such as someone with low vision, someone who can't do stairs, etc. I've never seen it work for a waiting area but then I've never asked for those accommodations either.

BillSears
05-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I suspect the problem with using a GAC for shows and an alternate waiting area is because of seating issues. It's very hard to come in late to a show after everyone else has been seated and then find a seat to sit for a group of people. Imagine having a full show where they've been telling everyone to "slide to the center" so they can get more people into the theater. Then just before the show starts adding another 10(FOTLK)-20(Indiana Jones)-50(for Fantasmic) or more people with an already "full" theater. Trying to find seats together would be very hard.

livndisney
05-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I suspect the problem with using a GAC for shows and an alternate waiting area is because of seating issues. It's very hard to come in late to a show after everyone else has been seated and then find a seat to sit for a group of people. Imagine having a full show where they've been telling everyone to "slide to the center" so they can get more people into the theater. Then just before the show starts adding another 10(FOTLK)-20(Indiana Jones)-50(for Fantasmic) or more people with an already "full" theater. Trying to find seats together would be very hard.

I am not going into specifics of our needs here-but I will say GS told us to ask to wait outside of LM. We did not ask to come in late, nor did we ask anyone to "slide to the center". We do not "come in late" to a show, in fact we arrive early and wait longer.

Sunnywho
05-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Why would a GAC even be considered for park entrance lines, transportation, and eating venues, which are all first come, first served?
The buses are difficult for someone like me: fairly young and healthy-looking, ambulatory etc, but with poor balance due to MS. Waiting in the hot sun for the next bus = MS symptoms getting worse (blurry vision, weakness, etc.) Getting on a standing room only bus = having a difficult time standing once it gets going. When I did get caught in that situation, another guest quickly and kindly gave me his seat, but it was up to me to figure out how to avoid standing room only buses for the rest of the trip. (Walking from All Star Movies to All Star Sports where the buses did not arrive standing-room-only. Taking a taxi when the bus arrived standing-room-only. Waiting at the front of the line for the next bus when it was the end of the day and not hot enough that waiting was going to make my MS worse.)

If there was a GAC that solved that problem, I would love it. If everyone were like me, they wouldn't ever expect anyone to do standing-room only. As it is, we'll be driving from MN to Disney next trip so that we'll have our car there, and that works, but what a drive! (Renting a minivan on top of flying could have solved the problem but that gets expensive.)

As for changes to the GAC, I assume it has something to do with the xpass changes.

3DisneyBuggs
05-30-2012, 11:39 AM
I was really hoping to see VOTLM this trip but not i I have to wait in that room. I did it once and had a horribble panic attack. I think GAC should be for shows too, especially for people like me. In order to enjoy a show versus worrying about how I would leave if I had to, I need to sit in the back row, Aisle seat, near the exit. I usually sit alone, as my family likes to sit closer to the stage /screen and in the middle rows. Last April, my DS was in a wheelchair so we sat in the accessible rows, which were perfect for my needs too. It's a shame that I have to stress about enjoying my trip due to abuses in the system. My own DH doesn't fully get my anxieties. He thinks I can simply think them away. I would gladly wait on a crowded line or sit in the middle of a theatre if my heart didn't race, palms sweat, throat close and feel like I have to run out NOW!
Hope Disney does come up with a good system.

clanmcculloch
05-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I am not going into specifics of our needs here-but I will say GS told us to ask to wait outside of LM. We did not ask to come in late, nor did we ask anyone to "slide to the center". We do not "come in late" to a show, in fact we arrive early and wait longer.

This is exactly what I'm planning to beg for this trip. We haven't seen VotLM in a long time but this trip we're bringing DD11's BFF and this I understand is one of her favourite attractions. If the CM won't let us wait outside (we'll be going to the first show right after TSMM at RD so we'll be there a good 20 minutes before and that showing almost never fills up) then DH will have to take DD11 and her BFF while DD14 and I go elsewhere. Hopefully since the show shouldn't fill up anyway we won't have any problem waiting outside. Hopefully. Maybe since it'll be the first show of the day they'll let us enter through the exit (yes that means those end seats with only partial view of the stage but at least it's IN the theatre). Wish us luck!

As you can see, we're not asking to slide in somewhere last minute. We really do intend to wait like everybody else. I do plan with backup and alternative plans though because I know not to expect anything.

kaytieeldr
05-30-2012, 12:16 PM
I was really hoping to see VOTLM this trip but not i I have to wait in that room. I did it once and had a horribble panic attack. I think GAC should be for shows too, especially for people like me. In order to enjoy a show versus worrying about how I would leave if I had to, I need to sit in the back row, Aisle seat, near the exit. I usually sit alone, as my family likes to sit closer to the stage /screen and in the middle rows. Last April, my DS was in a wheelchair so we sat in the accessible rows, which were perfect for my needs too. It's a shame that I have to stress about enjoying my trip due to abuses in the system. My own DH doesn't fully get my anxieties. He thinks I can simply think them away. I would gladly wait on a crowded line or sit in the middle of a theatre if my heart didn't race, palms sweat, throat close and feel like I have to run out NOW!
Hope Disney does come up with a good system.
It looks like your issues are at odds with each other. clanmcculloch mentioned entering through the exit, but honestly, in all the times I've seen Voyage of the Little Mermaid, I've never seen anyone use an alternate access. I don't think the attraction is staffed for that.

What about arriving early and having your family make a loose semi-circle around you, as you wait right in front of the theater doors? You'll be one of the first ones in the theater and can move all the way to the end of the row - and leave easily if needed - and they can meet you outside.

Waiting to enter last doesn't seem like it would work; aside from the possibility of not fitting, if you needed to leave during the show you'd actually be seated near the entrance doors. Walking out through these, if you even could, would put you smack dab in the middle of the next group waiting to see the show.

ttintagel
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Imagine having a full show where they've been telling everyone to "slide to the center" so they can get more people into the theater. Then just before the show starts adding another 10(FOTLK)-20(Indiana Jones)-50(for Fantasmic) or more people with an already "full" theater. Trying to find seats together would be very hard.

Bill wasn't suggesting that *YOU* asked anyone to slide over. The *CM's* routinely ask people to slide over so there won't be empty seats in the row.

livndisney
05-30-2012, 12:25 PM
It looks like your issues are at odds with each other. clanmcculloch mentioned entering through the exit, but honestly, in all the times I've seen Voyage of the Little Mermaid, I've never seen anyone use an alternate access. I don't think the attraction is staffed for that.

What about arriving early and having your family make a loose semi-circle around you, as you wait right in front of the theater doors? You'll be one of the first ones in the theater and can move all the way to the end of the row - and leave easily if needed - and they can meet you outside.

Waiting to enter last doesn't seem like it would work; aside from the possibility of not fitting, if you needed to leave during the show you'd actually be seated near the entrance doors. Walking out through these, if you even could, would put you smack dab in the middle of the next group waiting to see the show.

What you suggest doesn't work. The CM's job is to pack people into that room. "Semi loose" is not really an option.

Something else to consider is the room itself. Low ceiling, dark packed with people and items on the walls/ceiling. Can be very stressful for some.

As far as entering last, there always seems to be seats in the back and ends since these seats are not directly in front of the stage. Even if seated on the entrance side aisle-it would be easy to exit the theater behind the wheelchair row if needed.

BillSears
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Bill wasn't suggesting that *YOU* asked anyone to slide over. The *CM's* routinely ask people to slide over so there won't be empty seats in the row.

Yea sorry about the confusion, I didn't mean to imply that you were asking for others to slide over and I didn't mean that you were arriving late. The CMs try to squeeze in more people by asking every one to slide over and fill in all spaces.

I don't know what your needs are so I am just guessing that you would arrive early but want a quiet spot to wait in before the show. Then after the crowds have gone into the theater you would enter. But once the seats are filled it's hard to add additional people.

clanmcculloch
05-30-2012, 12:40 PM
I really don't expect them to allow us to enter through the exit but it's at least something I can ask about (I'd only ask for the first show of the day since any other show they're emptying the theatre at the same time the next group is loading if I remember correctly so we'd be having to go against traffic). I get that there likely aren't enough CMs there to be able to escort us over there, especially at slow times of the day. I figure if I don't ask about the option then the answer is definitely no.

We really can't go to the front of the room and just make space around her. The darkness of the room, the low ceilings and the constant being yelled at to move forward and crush into less space would guarantee having to not only leave the show but also the park for the rest of the day. We'll skip the show before we try that (which is what we typically do; DH and I both miss that show; I really hope we can make it work this trip).

I do get that it can be difficult. I guess I just don't understand how it would be difficult to watch to see if the room is getting full and load a few less people in when CMs KNOW we're there (we'd be waiting with their knowledge in full view of them exactly where they tell us to stand). I'm just crossing my fingers that the show doesn't fill up when we want to go (like I've said many times, a good touring plan can be so much more valuable than a GAC since the touring plan should get us there when the show won't fill up).

It isn't hard to get out of a theatre from the entrance side if need be (though we've never actually had to; once we're seated IN a theatre she's good as there are clearly boundaries of the seats and she's always between us). As livndisney said, you just walk to the back and walk through the wide isle where the accessible seating is located. I honestly don't worry about that scenario though because as I said, once we're seated we're fine.

kaytieeldr
05-30-2012, 12:51 PM
What you suggest doesn't work. The CM's job is to pack people into that room. "Semi loose" is not really an option.

Something else to consider is the room itself. Low ceiling, dark packed with people and items on the walls/ceiling. Can be very stressful for some.

As far as entering last, there always seems to be seats in the back and ends since these seats are not directly in front of the stage. Even if seated on the entrance side aisle-it would be easy to exit the theater behind the wheelchair row if needed.

Truly, I know what the CMs are tasked with doing. I guess I'm a bit confused why a GAC and one's own words (I have panic attacks in 'mobs' - which I realized trying to ride Haunted Mansion, and was able work out a way to ride, just by discussing my sudden problem with two of the attraction operators) wouldn't help.

While it's probably possible to climb over all the guests who didn't move all the way down the row, to get an exit seat, or even head around to the front of the theater and get to the exit seats that way, what you think you see at the back of the theater can be deceiving.

livndisney
05-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Truly, I know what the CMs are tasked with doing. I guess I'm a bit confused why a GAC and one's own words (I have panic attacks in 'mobs' - which I realized trying to ride Haunted Mansion, and was able work out a way to ride, just by discussing my sudden problem with two of the attraction operators) wouldn't help.

While it's probably possible to climb over all the guests who didn't move all the way down the row, to get an exit seat, or even head around to the front of the theater and get to the exit seats that way, what you think you see at the back of the theater can be deceiving.

Who is climbing over guests? There is open space both in front of the stage and at the back of the theater. If this is an issue for you-don't use those areas.

You may understand what CM's "tasks" are, but you don't seem to be understanding what several are saying.

kaytieeldr
05-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Who is climbing over guests? There is open space both in front of the stage and at the back of the theater. If this is an issue for you-don't use those areas.

You may understand what CM's "tasks" are, but you don't seem to be understanding what several are saying.
The other poster or posters didn't mention using the space at the front of the theaters to get to seats by the exit doors - only at the back; I'm well aware of the conditions and how much room there is in the row or rows at the back of pretty much every theater at Walt Disney World, having been relegated to that section of the theater at every show, every visit, except Carousel of Progress and (once) Beauty and the Beast; and if there were wheelchair seating distributed throughout the various WDW theaters, I wouldn't always sit in the back row.

dclfun
05-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Is there really open space behind the accessible seating? I've almost always had people going through that row for one reason or another, including one very large woman who climbed into the row from the one in front if it, injuring my knee. I really detest it as my poor service dog has already laid down beside me and has to get up over and over again so people can walk through that aisle. I always go to the next available space vs. plopping my chair in the middle but people use that row as an "access row" to get to the other side of the theater.

clanmcculloch
05-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I hadn't even considered the possibility of service dogs lying on the floor in that back accessible isle. In the dark that would be dangerous for the poor dog if we were to walk through there. Yikes!! Thanks for pointing that out. I also really hadn't considered the front row as a viable exit strategy but I'll start looking around theatres going forward. I was only thinking about the fact that the accessible back row is a much wider isle. As I said before, I really don't worry that we'll need to leave mid-show as we've never had to before and can manage perfectly once we're inside and seated (our problem is leading up to that point) but I do think this is important for those who ARE needing to consider exist strategies to keep in mind. I'm thankful for everybody who is sharing the different things to consider and different options that may be available.

livndisney
05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
I hadn't even considered the possibility of service dogs lying on the floor in that back accessible isle. In the dark that would be dangerous for the poor dog if we were to walk through there. Yikes!! Thanks for pointing that out. I also really hadn't considered the front row as a viable exit strategy but I'll start looking around theatres going forward. I was only thinking about the fact that the accessible back row is a much wider isle. As I said before, I really don't worry that we'll need to leave mid-show as we've never had to before and can manage perfectly once we're inside and seated (our problem is leading up to that point) but I do think this is important for those who ARE needing to consider exist strategies to keep in mind. I'm thankful for everybody who is sharing the different things to consider and different options that may be available.

I agree, it was great when people with actual real life info post workable suggestions.

bookwormde
05-30-2012, 08:43 PM

Sometimes these involve lines, waiting arrangements or other methodologies that are not manageable by individuals with disabilities similar to the attractions,

Not sure why you are thinking someone would expect preferential treatment

Schmeck
05-31-2012, 06:34 AM
Sometimes these involve lines, waiting arrangements or other methodologies that are not manageable by individuals with disabilities similar to the attractions,

Not sure why you are thinking someone would expect preferential treatment

If the only accommodation needed was a separate area away from others, then perhaps that could be accommodated (although those areas get just as crowded) at a restaurant, although I can't see it happening - you would be expected to get an ADR instead. An ADR offers equal access. Other things would cut down on the wait time, and at a first come/first served venue, that would be against ADA policy. You'd be offering a perk/service that was not available to the general public, without proof needed.

clanmcculloch
05-31-2012, 11:22 AM
At restaurants, you already can ask for a table in a quieter area, though you'll likely have to wait longer for one to become available because tables off to the side or in a nook are very limitted. GACs are not needed for this and I've never had trouble asking for it when checking in for my ADRs. What kind of accomodation would people imagine WOULD be available that would require something more than just asking for specific type of seating and waiting for it to become available?

It sure would be nice if restaurants that run chronically behind had some kind of beeper or ability to page when your table is ready so that after checking in you can step farther away from the checkin area which can be very crowded, loud and frustrating to those who do typically need some kind of alternate waiting area. Last summer, DD14 was near tears at Sci-Fi by the time we were seated. We checked in to find out that they were running at least a half hour behind and we were 15 minutes early as they tell you to be. We were told that we had to stay in the cramped little lobby our just outside the door where there was also a mob waiting or else we'd lose our table. If they could have just texted us when our table was ready or given us a pager to let us know then we could have stepped farther away to wait and she would have been fine. I suppose with a GAC they could have made a not beside our ADR stating where to go to find us when our table was ready (such as by the wall opposite the restaurant; I'm not saying they should have to wander to find people). That's about the only scenario I can think of though I think the overall use of beepers would accomplish more.

ttintagel
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
It sure would be nice if restaurants that run chronically behind had some kind of beeper or ability to page when your table is ready so that after checking in you can step farther away from the checkin area which can be very crowded, loud and frustrating to those who do typically need some kind of alternate waiting area.

They had those at the Crystal Palace last summer, but I'm not sure how far the range on them is.

MinnieVanMom
06-01-2012, 03:23 AM
They had those at the Crystal Palace last summer, but I'm not sure how far the range on them is.

I know the Wave also uses them.

nyrebecca
06-01-2012, 06:12 AM
I know the Wave also uses them.

Add Tony's Town Square to that list.

clanmcculloch
06-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Of course, a bunch of restaurants we DON'T dine at have them. LOL There are a few which are chronically running behind which don't and it would REALLY help if they did. The DHS restaurants all come to mind. Is there some reason that park just doesn't have the ability to use beepers? CP having them is good at least since it seems from reports I've read that they're another chronically behind offender. Hopefully the range is enough that people can go sit maybe by the baby care center or off towards one of the bridges to get out of the traffic. The DHS restaurants all seem to say that you have to stay within earshot because you have to be able to hear your name being called and they're not going more than a few steps past the checkin desk to call for people.

buffettgirl
06-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I have had the hostess at 50's Prime Time come outside and holler like mom. "Buffettgirl party of 6. The STREETLIGHT ARE ON. COME INSIDE NOW!" They usually let us stay outside if our party is pretty large.

LockShockBarrel
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Coral Reef, Whispering Canyon, and Artist Point also have pagers.

cm8
06-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Coral Reef, Whispering Canyon, and Artist Point also have pagers.

As well as Cape May Cafe :goodvibes

Michigan
06-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Plaza restaurant on Main Street also uses pagers

Mom2six
06-02-2012, 02:10 AM
Of course, a bunch of restaurants we DON'T dine at have them. LOL There are a few which are chronically running behind which don't and it would REALLY help if they did. The DHS restaurants all come to mind. Is there some reason that park just doesn't have the ability to use beepers? CP having them is good at least since it seems from reports I've read that they're another chronically behind offender. Hopefully the range is enough that people can go sit maybe by the baby care center or off towards one of the bridges to get out of the traffic. The DHS restaurants all seem to say that you have to stay within earshot because you have to be able to hear your name being called and they're not going more than a few steps past the checkin desk to call for people.

Can you leave someone or part of your party behind to listen for your name and then text you on your cell phone when the table is ready? My son would not do well waiting in a crowded lobby and the restaurant is going to be a bit of a challenge. Do they insist that everyone be there waiting together or could we wander away from the restaurant and have someone in the family call us when it was ready?

bookwormde
06-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Can you leave someone or part of your party behind to listen for your name and then text you on your cell phone when the table is ready? My son would not do well waiting in a crowded lobby and the restaurant is going to be a bit of a challenge. Do they insist that everyone be there waiting together or could we wander away from the restaurant and have someone in the family call us when it was ready?

We have done this, after advising the CM that is callling the tables of our son's needs. Never had an issue.

sleeping beauty 1
06-02-2012, 07:11 PM
My friend just renewed a GAC yesterday (3 month as it is with an AP) and was not told of any changes at all to the current GAC system. Said friend also has many friends that still work as CMs and none of them have heard about changes to GAC system that is in place.

nyrebecca
06-02-2012, 08:38 PM
My friend just renewed a GAC yesterday (3 month as it is with an AP) and was not told of any changes at all to the current GAC system. Said friend also has many friends that still work as CMs and none of them have heard about changes to GAC system that is in place.

GACs can be valid for 3 months if you have an AP? Never knew that.

SueM in MN
06-02-2012, 08:42 PM
GACs can be valid for 3 months if you have an AP? Never knew that.

Yes.
The expectation is that someone with an AP might be coming often and is likely to visit several times in that time period.

EastYorkDisneyFan
06-02-2012, 11:13 PM

Just a word of cation on this Front of the line CM (ie the ones you see in the parks) often don't know everything that the company is doing behind the scenes.

sleeping beauty 1
06-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Just a word of cation on this Front of the line CM (ie the ones you see in the parks) often don't know everything that the company is doing behind the scenes.

Yes, that is true. The main information I was sharing is that if there were going to be changes soon and someone renewed a 3 month GAC then GS would have informed my friend that the uses of that pass may change during the time-frame it was issued or they would not have issued a 3 month GAC at all. GS did not inform of any change on June 1st to the current program to this person and issued a GAC for 3 months of use (through Sept 1). I am not trying to discount the OP at all, but just trying to maybe dispel any concern or worry for those with upcoming trips and worried about changes. I know that my family would be affected and I would totally have to change my plans for my upcoming trip due to a family member with multiple disabilities (some visible and some not). I know I was relieved to hear the information from my friend and thought others may feel the same way.

However, if the changes were going to happen soon and would affect the CMs in any way of how they were to handle/help guests with any disability then CMs would need to be informed of the changes so they could help. I would guess they would need to let them know 2-3 weeks in advance. So I cannot imagine those with trips planned in the next month (or maybe even three) will have to worry about changes to the current program other than the postings of people being denied or being issued a different GAC from before as has been verified. My friend did not have any problem at all getting the same GAC either so I was relieved to hear that as well.

Just trying to help out!

nyrebecca
06-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Yes.
The expectation is that someone with an AP might be coming often and is likely to visit several times in that time period.

Do I just tell them I have an AP when we talk to them about the GAC? We have a trip in June and one in oct and are trying to get another in the middle of those trips.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Michigan
06-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Do I just tell them I have an AP when we talk to them about the GAC? We have a trip in June and one in oct and are trying to get another in the middle of those trips.

Yes

LockShockBarrel
06-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Still, the CMs at Guest Services may not be completely in the know yet either. They may have heard something "might" be happening, or maybe they were told not to tell what's up and it was a fluke that OP found out.

I'm not trying to be purposely argumentative. Just thinking at work, the higher ups can decide to discontinue a product...then managers find out....then it gets passed to the department workers and eventually everyone else will find out about it. My point is that can take several months, for everyone to find out what's happening. Sometimes we get in a substitute product, but sometimes we don't know about it til it comes in. Just saying that is probably what will happen with this "change" and the CMs.

Cheshire Figment
06-03-2012, 10:21 AM
A few years ago when the Florida Resident Monthly Payment Plan for Annual Passes was being released I had my initial training almost two months before the start, and then follow-up training about two weeks before the start date.

Disney does train the front-line cast sufficiently far in advance when there are major changes in procedures.

buffettgirl
06-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Still, the CMs at Guest Services may not be completely in the know yet either. They may have heard something "might" be happening, or maybe they were told not to tell what's up and it was a fluke that OP found out.

I'm not trying to be purposely argumentative. Just thinking at work, the higher ups can decide to discontinue a product...then managers find out....then it gets passed to the department workers and eventually everyone else will find out about it. My point is that can take several months, for everyone to find out what's happening. Sometimes we get in a substitute product, but sometimes we don't know about it til it comes in. Just saying that is probably what will happen with this "change" and the CMs.

And also, the "change" may have nothing to do with what the other poster had for their GAC. There may be changes to only certain types of accommodations, for instance. We really have no clue. So the CM might have known that this particular user's GAC wasn't going to be effected.

pampam
06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
good point.

A Mickeyfan
06-05-2012, 02:41 PM

The problem with that policy is that it doesn't help those with sight issues.. I cannot do certain attractions @ Universal when I am alone. So giving me a pass to come back at a certain time frame doesn't provide a lighted walk way or an alternative entrance for me :confused3 I just don't go on the attraction. Fair, no way, but that is the only way I can do Universal.. by giving up attractions. I hope Disney doesn't resort to this too... :mad: cutting down on a wait time doesn't make a person see better....:sad2:

A Mickeyfan
06-05-2012, 02:45 PM

No, you don't just tell them. They will ask to see your AP. I want to say they write them out for 2 or 3 month time frames.. so a June to Oct time frame GAC pass will not be given, you would have to get another one. You might get one when you arrive. If you go again in between and the old one is outdated, you just show the old and get a new. That goes for your June to Oct trip too.. I have an annual and my GAC are renewed for either 2 or 3 month time frames .. 3 at the most... usually just 2.:goodvibes then again, mine might be 2 months as that is my usual trip time frame (4-6 weeks).. I never stretch it over 3 months..