PDA

View Full Version : Bottom of beds open or boxed in?

Poohs Pal
05-25-2012, 02:16 PM
I am renting several items from Care Medical. I want to also rent a patient lift for taking my adult son from the bed to his wheelchair. We will start our stay at Kidani then move to Boardwalk Villas and on to SSR. For the life of me I can"t remember if the bottom of the beds are boxed in or open to accomadate a lift being pushed under the bed. Anyone happen to know....

Susan

Ali and boyz
05-26-2012, 02:37 PM
we have had huge issues re this as we also need to use a hoist and the bed had always been boxed in. not all the beds in the resort seem to be like this though, we were at SSR

Poohs Pal
05-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Thanks Ali. I thought I remember them being boxed in. Doesn't make any sense.:confused3. It has never been an issue before because my son has 2 male caregivers that usually come with us. Neither will be making this trip so it's just us OLD ladies,lol. The guys just lift Dson with no problems. Susan

WheelieBigDisFan
05-27-2012, 01:49 AM
I would call the special needs reservation line and have them PHYSICALLY go LOOK in the rooms and kick the bottom of the beds to see if they are boxed.
In a "normal" room it makes sense to have a boxed bed b/c it keeps people from losing socks, shoes, souvenirs, etc under the bed. BUT...in a HC accessible room for people needing to use a hoyer lift, it is a big deterrent to staying on Disney Property if you physically can NOT get your son into and out of bed! Definitely have Disney check this out, and not just an "I think" response. Have SOMEONE, a physical being look at it for you.
Mandy

deegack
05-28-2012, 06:16 AM
I would call the special needs reservation line and have them PHYSICALLY go LOOK in the rooms and kick the bottom of the beds to see if they are boxed.
In a "normal" room it makes sense to have a boxed bed b/c it keeps people from losing socks, shoes, souvenirs, etc under the bed. BUT...in a HC accessible room for people needing to use a hoyer lift, it is a big deterrent to staying on Disney Property if you physically can NOT get your son into and out of bed! Definitely have Disney check this out, and not just an "I think" response. Have SOMEONE, a physical being look at it for you.
Mandy

The problem with saying make someone at reservations look at a room is
1) reservations are not located at WDW but a call center
2) if there were on WDW resort it is miles between some hotels and they may not be able to drive over there and look
3) someone could be occupying all the accessible rooms.

I would call reservations and explain the situation. They may be able to contact the hotel manager who then can assist you. Or call the company you are considering renting the lift from. Chances are you are not the first person with this issue and they may have some suggestions.

seashoreCM
05-29-2012, 06:52 PM
It might be possible to slide the mattress off center a little and support the overhanging side with cinder blocks to give the lift some space to slide under that side.

SueM in MN
05-29-2012, 10:14 PM
You can call Special Reservations and ask about the beds in specific resorts.
(407) 939-7807

There are new accessibility guidelines for hotel rooms which are coming into effect. They specify that beds in accessible rooms must have open frames to allow the use of a lift.
If the room you get doesn't have an accessible bed, you should be able to get Housekeeping to help you. Either they should be able to trade out the platform bed for a bed with an open frame or lift the bed with risers so you can use a lift.

Poohs Pal
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
You can call Special Reservations and ask about the beds in specific resorts.
(407) 939-7807

There are new accessibility guidelines for hotel rooms which are coming into effect. They specify that beds in accessible rooms must have open frames to allow the use of a lift.
If the room you get doesn't have an accessible bed, you should be able to get Housekeeping to help you. Either they should be able to trade out the platform bed for a bed with an open frame or lift the bed with risers so you can use a lift.

Thank You