PDA

View Full Version : Heat sensitivity, new for me, and we leave in a week!

HaleyB
05-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Any ideas?

My doctor said to stay cool and take it easy :confused3

I'm also in the middle of a bad arthritus flare but I hope it will be under control in a week. I'd much rather be in pain than not go, but the body temp regulation problem is more of a serious and immediate risk.

Two questions aside from the general how did you cope if you have dealt with this.

I've been to first aid in most parks but don't recall if they have room to just rest and cool off, and is there more than one in each park? (ok, last half is a map question, so unless you know off the top of your head no worries, I'll look at maps next). And, are there any rides you would avoid because of outdoor or hot queue's? I'm a little worried about the entire AK park.

Right now the plan be there at opening, leave or lunch then leave by 11:30 and return late afternoon.

I have those chill towels and instant cool packs (if TSA allows them). Any other ideas? Anyone seen small misting fans recently? I can't take the weight of the Disney one.

SueM in MN
05-21-2012, 10:27 PM
It's too late to post a long answer now, but there is one First Aid in each park. They have an outer waiting room with chairs where you could just sit to cool off, then multiple individual rooms or cubicles with cots where you could lie down.

Post 26 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has a list of good attractions to cool off in/at. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

Your idea of going early, leaving and then coming back later in the day is good and you will avoid the hottest parton the day that way.
For AK, we watch the weather and change our plans if needed to go there on the coolest day.

I have seen small water bottle air misters at places like Walmart, so you might want to check your local Walmart and bring one with you.

You also might want to check a pharmacy for an old fashioned cloth ice bag with a screw on top (look in Walmart, while you are there :) I have seen them in our Walmart, also Walgreens and CVS )
You can get ice from any counter service or most drink vendors in the parks. The Ice bag keeps the ice cold for a long time, when it melts or you don't want it anymore, just empty it and drain the bag.

Also you may want to look for cooling neck ties. They are cloth filled with beads that absorb water. You tie them around your neck and the evaporation helps kep you cool. You can find them in sporting goods departments of stores like Walmart or in sporting goods stores.

If this is going to e a longer term problem, you may want to do an Internet search for Cooling vests. They can be kind of expensive, but well worth it to keep you cool.

WheeledTraveler
05-22-2012, 01:31 AM
I don't know what/how your arthritis impacts you, but you might also want to look into renting an ECV even if you don't normally. Riding and not walking will keep you cooler (but bring a towel to put over the seat).

Otherwise, I think Sue had good suggestions. Also, look at long/flowy clothing. It sounds counter-intuitive, but actually long wide sleeved dresses are going to be cooler than a lot of short clothes because they'll trap cool breezes in better. (I've learned that one from talking to interpreters at a local 1830s recreation village where the women don't overheat, even in petticoats, in the summer because of how the clothes catch the air)

One thing I know people have talked about is freezing water bottles and then bringing them in a soft-sided cooler (a small one). Also, alternating indoor and outdoor rides and activities helps.

A lot of it will depend on not only how heat sensitive you are, but how it effects you. For example, when I get too hot (especially humid heat) my muscles stop working and my brain just kinda starts to shut down. Not surprisingly, I don't do Florida anytime between about May and end of September (I suppose I might have to at some point as I have good friends in Florida, but it would take a major life event for me to do it). But I know plenty of people with heat sensitivity (even with the same actual diagnoses as I have causing their heat sensitivity) who don't need to be that wary. So you may have to go and see how it goes for you to know for the future.

Bete
05-22-2012, 07:51 AM
A big sun hat may help. I bought an umbrella hat once and those will shield part of your body.

When possible like seeing a parade get to a shaded area for it.

Stay hydrated and drink and drink again even if you have to go to the restroom more often. Alternating activities between shows and rides will help. The shows are shielded from the sun and most are air conditioned and it provides a rest from walking. Taking in a bite to eat or doing a snack in an air conditioned place helps, too. Epcot has the Living Land and Innovention and those are great for cooling off for a while. At the parks splash some cold water on your face when you can. You may want to take a hand towel with you to wipe off. I've done it with paper towels, too or napkins.

When you take your afternoon rest at the resort consider a cold shower/bath. A dip in the pool may help, as well.

I would actually carry a portable thermometer and take readings here and there. This could give you a good idea if you are over heating. Take a reading before you leave your room (like an at rest reading) and every two or three hours at the parks to double check yourself. If you don't want to bother get a reading at the first aid areas when you can.

If you are on Disney property take advantage of the extra magic hours available early in the morning or late at night when it's the coolest there.

All the other suggestions should be incorporated, too. I like the idea of the scooter. You can rent one off site for much cheaper and they deliver. You will last longer in the parks with one and so in a sense it pays for itself; because, you can do more in the parks.

HaleyB
05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
This is all great info, I am sure I would not have thought of all those ideas.

Thank you!

Sadie22
05-22-2012, 11:19 PM
I do not have a true heat sensitivity but I am a Pooh-sized person and no longer young. I last visited the World during the month of July - early August. I was staying at the Contemporary. I strategized to avoid lines, carried water on my belt (constantly refilling the container), and made sure I had ADRs to break up touring time so I was assured of having an air-conditioned place to sit down and recharge. I had been there before and was not trying to do everything, but I really studied the layout ahead of time and knew where I could duck into air-conditioned shops and so on. I wore a big hat, loose-fitting blouses, skorts, and New Balance 846 walking shoes. I walked as slowly as I needed to. If you have pain from walking, an ECV sounds like a great idea.

SDSorority
05-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Heat triggers my anxiety, so DH and I do whatever we can to keep me as cool as possible. Anxiety= bad trip for both of us :rolleyes1

SO, this is what I do to try to stay as cool as possible.

1- wear a lightweight (like linen) white shirt around the parks to keep the sun off.
2- wear a hat and sunglasses to keep the sun from being in my eyes.
3- bring a washcloth and ice in a ziplock to the parks (one for each of us) to wipe down with. Feels GREAT on the top of your head!
4- take a mid-day break for a swim or a cool shower
5- walk through the shops down Main Street and Hollywood Blvd. They're connected, and it gets you out of the heat at least for a little bit.
6- save the long indoor attractions for the mid-part (hottest) part of the day. Rides like Ellen's Energy Adventure, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, etc.
7- Drink water all day long. Suck on ice chips. Bring along some grapes or watermelon in a plastic container. (frozen grapes are SO GOOD- I use these as little "ice packs" when we travel)
8- Never underestimate the power of a break. Even if you're in a park and go to a nearby hotel lobby, rather than your own room- a few minutes on comfy couches with some air conditioning can make a world of difference. We did this a lot during our last trip. We would pack a lunch, and rather than eat it outside in the heat, we would leave the park and go to a nearby hotel and eat lunch in the lobby. Easy things of course, like sandwiches, fruit, chopped veggies with almond butter, cheese sticks, etc.