PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Disney with ADHD

Kdutton
05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
We are taking my kids to Disney in September for their birthdays. Our oldest son will be turning 5. He has ADHD, Hypo-sensory disorder in that he needs extra sensory input, and also Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Things are really hit or miss with him. He has days where you wouldn't recognize any of his disorders, and other days that would make anyone want to give up. He has a hard time waiting - not just in lines but even in school with anything really - even with crafts he will do the minimal because he just can't keep focused on anything for long. He has been known to be what his last school called "A flight risk" - runs away, does not listen to commands. It can be very challenging, but again he does have days where it seems like hes an average kid with no special needs. We are going in September to avoid huge crowds (and their birthdays), We will bring an iphone/tablet for lines to try to keep him occupied, and are planning on taking afternoon breaks. any other tips?

A Mickeyfan
05-21-2012, 07:53 PM
a GAC card might help some, but you still have to wait on lines.. the only other tip I would suggest is that as soon as you see something brewing with his behavior, remove him from the situation..(even if it means getting off the line for the attraction, you would not want a full blown situation while trying to board) that is what we use to have to do with my nephew..no matter where we were with him. Sometimes just a change of scene worked..

deegack
05-21-2012, 07:57 PM
A good touring plan and using Fastpasses. If he needs to blow off some energy tom sawyer island in mk may help (for your MK days at least).

Kdutton
05-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Great tips! Thanks!!!

charissemp
05-22-2012, 10:58 AM
I am in the same boat....some day my daughter seems like a normal kid, and some days are really tough.

She tends to have good mornings, so we are sure to get up and take advantage of that early touring time.

As for the rest of the day, we just take our cues from her. I feel badly for my son, but we can't really make promises about what we can fit in during the day. Time in the airconditioning and free time, as is suggested above, really do help.

Hollywood Studios has the I Shrunk the Kids playground. Inside, the Animation building has been good for her to cool off.
The Boneyard or the animal trails at Animal Kingdom are less waiting, less structured, etc.
At Epcot, just taking time to play in the fountains, etc.

Key for us, also, is making sure she eats and drinks, even if she doesn't feel like it. If she is hungry, we're more likely to have meltdowns with her ADHD.
We have never used a GAC, just tailored our expectations to what she can do.

A Mickeyfan
05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
yes.. playground & fountains... as other have said.. even if you were to be at DTD and you need some play time.. there are the fountains there too for them to play in for a while..