PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Price Increases for Disneyland Announced

Pages : [1] 2

ArchOwl
05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
And here we go, increases across the board for tickets and APs:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/disneyland-resort-ticket-price-update/

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disneyland-resort-ticket-prices-2012/

Can't say I am surprised, but the Premium went up a lot!

ETA: price increases go into effect Sunday, May 20th!

sonnyjane
05-18-2012, 07:38 PM
And here we go, increases across the board for tickets and APs:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/disneyland-resort-ticket-price-update/

Can't say I am surprised, but the Premium went up a lot!

WOW WOW WOW!!! Um... Hmm... So, I had a Premium from 2009-2011, but I decided not to renew this year because it had gotten steep (from $429 or so to $499), but, um.... from $499 to $649 in one year!?!?!?! I don't think there's a way for me to have a Premium again!

EmmersIsTheMommy
05-18-2012, 07:39 PM
So the tickets that we've already purchased that say exp in Dec 2012 are still going to be ok yes?

LAWalz23
05-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up! We are going in July and will buy our tickets now.

ArchOwl
05-18-2012, 07:41 PM
So the tickets that we've already purchased that say exp in Dec 2012 are still going to be ok yes?

Yes!

DLR29
05-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Yikes! :scared1: Good thing I got my Premium a couple months ago. Now a 1 day park hopper is 125! That's nuts. Hopefully my friends at school don't get deterred by the higher prices...

ArchOwl
05-18-2012, 07:43 PM
WOW WOW WOW!!! Um... Hmm... So, I had a Premium from 2009-2011, but I decided not to renew this year because it had gotten steep (from $429 or so to $499), but, um.... from $499 to $649 in one year!?!?!?! I don't think there's a way for me to have a Premium again!

I know. I have a premium this year and that is quite the jump. I wonder if there has been this big of a jump in recent years?

DLR29
05-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Also I wonder how much the Premier pass is gonna go up because if the Premium is 649, and I might make it out to FL once in the next year, might as well go Premier.

T0rrent
Glad the wife talked me into buying the premium AP's last month. That was a huge increase.

sonnyjane
I know. I have a premium this year and that is quite the jump. I wonder if there has been this big of a jump in recent years?

Last year I believe was a $50 jump and I thought THAT was big lol!

EmmersIsTheMommy
05-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes!

Whew :cool1::lmao:

So I'm not shocked they upped them with carsland and all but uh..are they gonna do a price increase every year? I've noticed they have for most of the past few years right? Ouch.

DLR29
05-18-2012, 07:50 PM
While the Premium looks like it went up a ton, the SoCal Select went up by the highest %...from 199 to 269. That's a 35% increase. Ridiculous

sonnyjane
05-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Whew :cool1::lmao:

So I'm not shocked they upped them with carsland and all but uh..are they gonna do a price increase every year? I've noticed they have for most of the past few years right? Ouch.

It's typical to have a price increase every year but... wow... I'm really speechless!

I'm still thinking about this and I guess it makes me sad because, well, obviously they probably won't be LOWERING prices ever in the future, so in three or four years, it's entirely possible that a Premium AP could be $1,000!!! Yowza!!!!

EmmersIsTheMommy
05-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. :(

ExcitedSam
05-18-2012, 07:59 PM
So the 6 day park hoppers won't change? They're not on the list. Think I'd best be ordering my tickets for Sept Now!!

DBMC
05-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Thank you for the heads up! We will have to go ahead and buy ours. I can't believe how much they are going up!!! :sad2:

Sleepless Knight
05-18-2012, 08:11 PM
I was expecting an increase, but not like that one. I renewed minutes ago just to beat the increase on Monday and it expires in 2 weeks anyways.

Blue32
05-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Looks like ALL the ticket prices are increasing but I did not see when this change takes effect. I logged onto TicketsAtWork.com and placed my order tonight! :thumbsup2

sonnyjane
05-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Looks like ALL the ticket prices are increasing but I did not see when this change takes effect. I logged onto TicketsAtWork.com and placed my order tonight! :thumbsup2

May 20th... SUNDAY!

lovesdumbo
05-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Planning my first ever trip to DL for my family of 5 for the DL marathon. I was planning on buying my DH and older two (over 10 years old) children 6 day hopper tickets.

I plan to take just my youngest who is now 9 but will be 10 in Jan to WDW next May and then for all 5 of us to go to WDW next summer. I will also go to WDW in November 2012.

I was going to purchase both myself and youngest premier passes. You have to do that at a ticket gate. What do think will happen to that price with these price increases. It is $749 now. I figured a 6 day child's DL ticket plus tickets for the 2 WDW trips (as an adult) would be about $850. If the price on the premium ticket went up so much it seems like the premier will jump too.

Think I should buy us all 6 day tickets now and then upgrade youngest's and mine when we get there if it still makes sense?

fctiger
05-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Wow THANK GOD I saw this post!!! I actually had until 3 more weeks to renew and was going to wait until the 1st of June! Saw this thread, I order that puppy online 15 mins ago lol! Yeah I got another premium for the current price and I suspect it will be my LAST premium after this year because a year from now its going to be well over $700 which is a bit insane!

But I'm thankful I got that $479 price! I was thinking it was a bit steep especially since I only go about 14 times a year with it, but that now seems like a steel lol! The boards are going to go crazy over this tonight!

aan1701
05-18-2012, 08:30 PM
My guess on the Premier is its going to 900 plus tax. That's why I am going to Disneyland tonight to renew my wife's since hers expires on June 8 we should not lose the aniversary date. If anyone gets a firm price please post, fortunately I don't need to renew mine till Jan.

Sleepless Knight
05-18-2012, 08:34 PM
I live in northern California and just renewed online for the current price.

Butterfly123
05-18-2012, 08:37 PM
For those of you ordering tickets online, is anyone ordering from Getawaytoday? Their 4 day park hoppers are $19 cheaper than the Disneyland website. Do their prices go up Sunday, too? Is there any downside in ordering from them today for our trip in July?

ImTooExcitedToSleep
05-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Just got confirmation. Premier Pass will be $849. A bargain at half that price!

aan1701
05-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Thanks. And yes that is a bargin since street value assuming WDW does not go up is close to 1300.

rramstad
05-18-2012, 09:04 PM
So the 6 day park hoppers won't change? They're not on the list. Think I'd best be ordering my tickets for Sept Now!!

Actually, that can't be correct, as the current price on 6 day park hoppers would end up lower than the new price on 5 day park hoppers.

My best guess is that they plan to stop showing, displaying, encouraging purchase of 6 day tickets -- it'll probably be possible to add a day to a 5 day ticket, like you can now going from 6 to 7, but you'll have to do it in person at the park.

I'm really flummoxed now. I've been getting hammered on airline flights, every time I settle on something and run it by the family, I go back to book and they are $40 more, or even a bigger jump than that, so I go back to the drawing board with another plan, run it by everyone, and THOSE flights have jumped by a bunch. At the moment I have nothing figured out for flights, they are so screwed up, and I just KNEW this price increase was coming right at the worst possible moment. I don't want to buy non refundable tickets online that expire December 31st without having flights sorted! AAARRRRGGGHHH!

lovesdumbo
05-18-2012, 09:05 PM

I was expecting it to be higher.

DL only gives you what you paid for the ticket right? They don't give you gate value for an upgrade like WDW?

Can't decide if I should buy 3 tickets now or 5 and upgrade 2 tickets when we get there.

MAH4546
05-18-2012, 09:10 PM
6-day park hoppers are discontinued.

brenda1966
05-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Just bought my tixs from Ares travel. I'm surprised at how much more I paid for 4 day hoppers this year than I paid last year. It went up 30+ dollars. The year before it was ~ 20 dollars. They really are getting aggressive with the prices (and so are the hotels). I guess the economy must be doing better than they are telling us on the news. ;)

Lorinda
05-18-2012, 09:17 PM
I have 5 annual passes in my cart, filling out info but have a question.... do they send the ticket to your e-mail to print or send you a link to print? I don't have a printer hooked up and if I click purchase and then have to print I am going to be in a pickle.

motor58
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
when will the 6 day hoppers be discontinued? After this year? I need to buy 5 of them for Sept-thinking I'd have the $ this summer to buy them, but maybe I should get them sooner?

sonnyjane
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
I have 5 annual passes in my cart, filling out info but have a question.... do they send the ticket to your e-mail to print or send you a link to print? I don't have a printer hooked up and if I click purchase and then have to print I am going to be in a pickle.

It's a PDF attachment - no need to print right away.

Lorinda
05-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Is there a way to get to it from a different computer? ... will it just be in "My Disney" account online?

sonnyjane
05-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Is there a way to get to it from a different computer? ... will it just be in "My Disney" account online?

No, they email you a PDF attachment. So long as you don't delete the email, you can print it wherever and whenever you like.

sonnyjane
05-18-2012, 09:28 PM
when will the 6 day hoppers be discontinued? After this year? I need to buy 5 of them for Sept-thinking I'd have the $ this summer to buy them, but maybe I should get them sooner?

Well, if this is true and there are indeed no more 6 day hoppers (which the website would imply), then they will only be sold for one more day - tomorrow. If you want them for September, you need to buy by tomorrow because these new prices go into effect on Sunday, May 20th.

Lorinda
05-18-2012, 09:35 PM
No, they email you a PDF attachment. So long as you don't delete the email, you can print it wherever and whenever you like.

Thanks for the info :)

revwog1974
05-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Is aRes the best place to buy tickets online?

Disneyluvr2
05-18-2012, 09:44 PM
My pass expires in July and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Does anyone know, if I buy a new pass today, will they extend my current pass to July 2013or will it expire next May? My next visit isn't until Sept. Any advice?:confused3

ImTooExcitedToSleep
05-18-2012, 09:49 PM
My pass expires in July and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Does anyone know, if I buy a new pass today, will they extend my current pass to July 2013or will it expire next May? My next visit isn't until Sept. Any advice?:confused3

Passes can't be renewed until 40 days before they expire.

darph nader
05-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Well,,,looks like this will be our last trip to Disneyland. :sad2:

and please don't give me this,"It's sooo worth it". No it aint.

Lorinda
05-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Passes can't be renewed until 40 days before they expire.

So can they just buy a new one and not activate it til later?

Kittyskyfish
05-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Yikes! I'm so glad I read this thread! I just purchased our 6-day Hopper passes for November. *whew*

vek239
05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Disneyland Ticket price increase on Sunday.

OnTheRoadAgain
05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
I wonder if the Memorial Day Promo-priced tickets will go away on 5/20.

mrsw94
05-18-2012, 10:03 PM
So glad I saw this. We are planning on getting 6 day hoppers for Oct. We'll be getting them tonight! Is the Disneyland site the best place, or should I go somewhere else? We need 7 adults and 1 kid.
Thanks!

lwilkison
05-18-2012, 10:03 PM
6-day park hoppers are discontinued.

Any idea why they are discontinuing?:scratchin We always do 6 days- we have a trip planned for this October so I guess I am putting a call in to my travel agent to purchase tomorrow! :sad:

We always take lots of time @ DLR/DCA...but I guess the next time we go we could ad in another adventure instead of 6 days @ DLR:sad2:

I knew the prices would jump, but OUCH!:eek:

tinkermomma
05-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Holy Toledo!!!

Thank goodness for you posting this. I'm going to get my APs tonight.

yakkin' yeti
05-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Thank you so much for the heads-up! Just got our tickets from aRes for August. Saved $25 per person off this year's rates on 6-day hoppers. I would have been sick to my stomach if I'd missed the window.

mrsw94
05-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Looks like Ares is the cheapest for Hoppers. Even with the fees they are still cheaper than the DL website. Just called my FIL and he's ordering them! Whewh!

arthur06
05-18-2012, 10:21 PM
We are going to DLR in November.

TicketsAtWork is:

$209 on a 4 day hopper for adults
$199 on a 4 day hopper for children
$57.65 for sales tax

Total - $867.65

The link was for
$275 on a 4 day hopper for adults
$255 on a 4 day hopper for children

Total - $1060, not sure if the Disney Price includes tax.

Saving at least $190 on 4 tickets, yes please!

Disneyluvr2
05-18-2012, 10:23 PM
So can they just buy a new one and not activate it til later?

That's what I'm wondering too. If my pass expires in July, is there anyway to just buy a new one today and activate it when I go in Sept??? I really want to save some money!!

8timesblessed
05-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Wow I'm so glad I decided to come to the DIS tonight! We are going in December and need 5 adult and 3 kids tickets, two of us already have annual passes. I will be calling AAA tomorrow hoping they are open. I want the extra perks from them.

cgh
05-18-2012, 10:29 PM
How does this work with vacation packages? If we have a vacation package through disney not paid in full would we need to pay in full by tomorrow? Will the total package price go up on Sunday?

And then, if we want a 6 day hopper, do we need to tell them by tomorrow? Or only pay for everything with the 6 day hopper?

motor58
05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I should probably just post another thread-but these new prices are they for the tix that you buy the day of in the parks, or the early purchase online price?

The park hoppers really went up in price-curious if that is the rate you pay at the parks or not.

Amazing to think the same tix I am looking at now would go up that much on Sunday.....

FoodLover
05-18-2012, 10:31 PM
If my pass expires in July, is there anyway to just buy a new one today and activate it when I go in Sept??? I really want to save some money!!

YES. Buy a new pass online at Disneyland.com and you'll receive a voucher good for one year. You do not have to pay the upgraded price when you activate the voucher at the park.

The only AP you can't do this with is the Premier Pass, which is only sold in person.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

FoodLover
05-18-2012, 10:33 PM
How does this work with vacation packages? If we have a vacation package through disney not paid in full would we need to pay in full by tomorrow? Will the total package price go up on Sunday?

And then, if we want a 6 day hopper, do we need to tell them by tomorrow? Or only pay for everything with the 6 day hopper?

Normally if you've paid your deposit on a package, the price is locked in. Actually the package prices are usually locked in through the end of the year regardless: the ticket prices within packages shouldn't go up until 2013, even on new package bookings after 5/20.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Zbugz
05-18-2012, 10:35 PM

popcorn::

I am wondering this, too.

HeyItsNickCA
05-18-2012, 10:36 PM
This sucks. 3 day park-hopper tickets from 198 to 250. Big increase, especially when you buy for a whole family.

canadian_ehngel
05-18-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm SO glad we bought our 6-day park hoppers today! I paid $880 for 2 adults and 2 kids (CAD). I'm a huge Disney fanatic, and would pay almost any price, as long as I had time to save up and talk some sense into my hubby!

FoodLover
05-18-2012, 10:37 PM
these new prices are they for the tix that you buy the day of in the parks, or the early purchase online price?

Gate prices (prices you pay at the ticket booth) are going up and those are the prices that have been published. I'm sure the advance purchase prices will also go up.

There is a ticket promo for tickets that require first use by 5/28 and I would expect prices on those will probably stay the same, but the promo is almost over.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

OhioStateBuckeye
so is there no way to get tickets for 2013? all the tickets on the DL site say that they expire in Dec. 2012.

Zbugz
Normally if you've paid your deposit on a package, the price is locked in. Actually the package prices are usually locked in through the end of the year regardless: the ticket prices within packages shouldn't go up until 2013, even on new package bookings after 5/20.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Thanks, Mary. I must have been typing my post a few seconds after yours.

FoodLover
05-18-2012, 10:38 PM
so is there no way to get tickets for 2013? all the tickets on the DL site say that they expire in Dec. 2012.

Nope, unfortunately you're stuck with the increase if you're arriving at DL after 12/31/12.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

cmwade77
05-18-2012, 10:39 PM
We renewed on Wednesday, because we figured it would probably be going up this weekend and will be extremely busy tonight and Saturday at the ticket booths.

I hope that they adjust the DVC discount to be more in line with WDW, after all, they said the reason that they didn't is because of how inexpensive our passes are, since that is no longer the case, they can certainly make the discount similar.

I wonder what this will do to the premier pass price.

For the passes that are expiring soon, but more than $40 days out, I would purchase a voucher from the Disney Store (or some supermarkets have them as well) before Sunday, they are good for a year I believe, just check the fine print on the ticket, it will tell you when it has to be redeemed by. Yes, you will loose out on the $20 renewal discount; however, you will still save about $140 over the renewal price.

On vacation packages, as long as it is currently in your vacation package and you have paid a deposit, I would think you should be fine, if it is not in your package, I would add it before Sunday.

mvf-m11c
05-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Jeez. The price increase was announced way too early then last year which was around June and all of a sudden they increased the price on everything a lot. Thank you for posting the link ArchOwl, or I would have been out for $150 dollars when I renew back to the DL Premium AP. :thumbsup2 I just renewed or downgrade my AP to the Premium and now I felt relieve of not getting the pass when we go to DL during the AP sneak peek at CL/BVS.

sierranevada
05-18-2012, 10:47 PM
YES. Buy a new pass online at Disneyland.com and you'll receive a voucher good for one year. You do not have to pay the upgraded price when you activate the voucher at the park.

The only AP you can't do this with is the Premier Pass, which is only sold in person.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

I currently have a Premier pass expiring in Aug. Only want to get a Premium pass. So if I buy online, do I choose the voucher option? I tired the pass option and it wants the name and not sure if it would not accept it if I am already in the system.

FoodLover
05-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I currently have a Premier pass expiring in Aug. Only want to get a Premium pass. So if I buy online, do I choose the voucher option? I tired the pass option and it wants the name and not sure if it would not accept it if I am already in the system.

The only option when buying a NEW (not renewal) pass online is a voucher. You have to take it to the gate and get it activated when you're ready to use it for the first time.

I've bought new APs before while still holding an unexpired AP. The system is not sophisticated enough to detect that, nor is there any rule against it.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

DharmaLou
05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Glad I stopped in tonight - I'll be buying ours tomorrow morning!

DebbieB
05-18-2012, 10:57 PM
If I want to buy an AP and activate in September, should I choose gift voucher?

OnTheRoadAgain
05-18-2012, 10:58 PM
This sucks. 3 day park-hopper tickets from 198 to 250. Big increase, especially when you buy for a whole family.

Guess they only want us to stay 2 days. Crowd control by increasing prices.

pudinhd
05-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Wow!!! Big news! :mad: Right now we are shaking our heads that we didn't take the $20 off deal at the Tuesday night Fantasmic event... Either we buy the vouchers tonight/tomorrow or we won't renew. I thought $500 was a lot for our premium passes, but $649 is way too much!! Thanks so much for posting the info!!!

Dexican
05-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Okay what sense does discontinuing the 6 day make? By adding Cars Land they are adding more to see and do and as it is now it take 4-5 days to see everything during peak season. I would think they would push the 6 day more now than ever than discontinue it???

todzwife
05-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Holy crap! We're looking at $56 per ticket increase for a 4 day park hopper for November. That's over $200 for our family alone!

Glad I stopped in tonight.

pudinhd
05-18-2012, 11:13 PM
The only option when buying a NEW (not renewal) pass online is a voucher. You have to take it to the gate and get it activated when you're ready to use it for the first time.

I've bought new APs before while still holding an unexpired AP. The system is not sophisticated enough to detect that, nor is there any rule against it.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

This is helpful information! My husband is wondering what keeps someone from purchasing 20 of them and locking in the price for the next 20 years...

FoodLover
05-18-2012, 11:15 PM
This is helpful information! My husband is wondering what keeps someone from purchasing 20 of them and locking in the price for the next 20 years...

Vouchers only lock the price for one year from date of purchase. After that they can charge you the difference between the voucher cost and the current price.

I was partially incorrect in my answer above, by the way. They now sell a regular pass online as well as a voucher. So you do need to pick the "gift voucher" option.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

cmwade77
05-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Just bought my tixs from Ares travel. I'm surprised at how much more I paid for 4 day hoppers this year than I paid last year. It went up 30+ dollars. The year before it was ~ 20 dollars. They really are getting aggressive with the prices (and so are the hotels). I guess the economy must be doing better than they are telling us on the news. ;)

Actually, the problem is fewer people coming in from out of town means more money is needed per person.

The parks are busier than ever, but a good chunk are passholders, hence why the major increase there. Many passholders do not spend much money in the park, my recommendation is that they should track what each passholder spends and give them a discount off of renewal equal to 5% (or something like that) of what they spent throughout the year. It would encourage more spending and an extra 5% off isn't going to kill them, especially when given as a discount on renewals.

pudinhd
05-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Vouchers only lock the price for one year from date of purchase. After that they can charge you the difference between the voucher cost and the current price.

I was partially incorrect in my answer above, by the way. They now sell a regular pass online as well as a voucher. So you do need to pick the "gift voucher" option.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Thank you! I was thinking it was a ticket that started when you took them to the front gate. We might go to the Disney Store tomorrow and see if they sell the premium annual pass.

Lorinda
05-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Ok my puchase timed out as I was filling in everyones AP info. Maybe that's a good thing after reading the last couple pages here. I had put in for 5 Ap's I didn't notice gift voucher option... What is the difference I don't get it.

Disneyluvr2
05-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Thank you Mary! So if I buy a new pass tomorrow and get a voucher, will it will be good until next May...or a year from when I activate it?

Lorinda
05-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Ok my puchase timed out as I was filling in everyones AP info. Maybe that's a good thing after reading the last couple pages here. I had put in for 5 Ap's I didn't notice gift voucher option... What is the difference I don't get it.

5 of us are going at the same time... there is a 6th that needs one too but won't be on the first trip and also I (cc holder) won't be with when he goes. Does this matter? These will be all deluxe AP's

FoodLover
05-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Thank you Mary! So if I buy a new pass tomorrow and get a voucher, will it will be good until next May...or a year from when I activate it?

I've been told by several different CMs that the voucher locks in the price for one year from date of purchase. You can activate it anytime within that year and your pass will be valid for a year from the date of activation.

However, just to confuse things: someone just told me the price is no longer locked for a year, but only until the end of 2012. Ugh, as usual, can't get a straight answer from Disney!

In either case, once that period is up, the voucher is still valued at whatever you paid, but you'd have to pay the price difference at time of activation.

Personally I don't think I'd bother buying a voucher unless I knew for sure I was going in the next few months.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Disneyluvr2
05-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Mary, you're a busy little Mouseketter tonight! Thank you so much for all your time and info!!! I just bought a Deluxe voucher for my trip in Sept. Worst case senario...I'll have to pay the difference if it doesn't work, but it sounds like it should. Now I can sleep tonight!:)

OctoberDisney
05-19-2012, 12:03 AM

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Hi

Sorry but I don't understand? If we purchase APs online tonight and don't activate them until September, we HAVE to buy gift vouchers? Why?

Appreciate the help...just trying to make sure we do it right! Thank you!

papamouse1
05-19-2012, 12:08 AM

I wouldn't count on them not going up, just because they aren't listed. :)

Well, I guess I better just go ahead and buy my tickets for November. We are getting the CityPass and doing SeaWorld and Universal as well with a 3-day PH for DL... but even that small ticket is going up aminimum of $150 for my family of 4.... I was always relieved with DL prices compared to WDW, but now a basic 3-day costs $1000 for the 4 of us? Ouch!!

CamoMama
05-19-2012, 12:09 AM
This makes me so glad that I bought my Premium AP a couple of months before I planned to activate it. Not sure if I'm going to renew next year at that price.

FoodLover
05-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Sorry but I don't understand? If we purchase APs online tonight and don't activate them until September, we HAVE to buy gift vouchers? Why?

Appreciate the help...just trying to make sure we do it right! Thank you!

I don't fully understand the new online AP offerings. My concern is that the regular annual passes they are now selling online may be pre-activated, meaning they expire a year from when you BUY them.

I haven't bought an annual pass myself using the new online system. Maybe someone here has done it recently and can tell us how it worked when they used the pass for the first time.

In any case it can't hurt to buy the gift vouchers, and I think that's safer because the value of the gift vouchers should be good for some time (probably a year based on what I've been told) -- meaning they can be activated on arrival at DL without incurring an upcharge.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Plutos Mommy
05-19-2012, 12:16 AM
I think I understand this correctly. My AP expires in August. If I buy a voucher tonight I can lock in the price (with it being good until the end of the year or maybe to a year) and get an new AP in August (or whenever I can make it back) good for year from the date I activate it?

I am so glad I saw your post, due to horrible traffic my daughter decided to stop at DL tonight for a couple of hours for a break. I was going to update her AP to a Premier for her graduation next weekend as we are headed to WDW next month, but as she is there right now I'm guessing it would be best for her to do it tonight.

MinnieLovesMickey
05-19-2012, 12:23 AM
:scared1: I guess after our July trip, we'll be sticking with WDW for a while.

FoodLover
05-19-2012, 12:26 AM
I think I understand this correctly. My AP expires in August. If I buy a voucher tonight I can lock in the price (with it being good until the end of the year or maybe to a year) and get an new AP in August (or whenever I can make it back) good for year from the date I activate it?

Yes. I've done this myself several times to avoid price increases.

There are two questions unanswered right now because DL has recently changed its online AP system:

1. Are the regular APs sold online "pre-activated" (and thus expire a year from the date of purchase), or are they activated when you take them to the park? I don't know for sure, and for that reason I recommend buying the "gift voucher" option just to be safe. Then take the voucher to DL and exchange it for a new AP whenever you are ready to start using your new AP.

2. Most sources are telling me the AP vouchers can be exchanged for a year without paying an upcharge. One source says the upcharge applies after the end of the calendar year.

Both are fairly minor issues. If I had an AP expiring in August and definitely wanted to "renew" it, I would buy a "gift voucher" for a new pass now, before the price goes up. Losing the renewal discount is nothing compared with these AP price increases!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Dexican
05-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Anyone know if the daily parking fee of $15 will go up?

mommy2allyandaveri
05-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Just got a mouse savers update:

Disneyland (California) Ticket Prices WILL Go Up on SUNDAY!

As I've been predicting, Disneyland ticket prices are going up! Disney has announced that all Disneyland tickets, including Annual Passports, will go up this Sunday, May 20.

If you'd like to avoid the price increase, bear in mind that regular Disneyland (California) tickets currently being sold are valid for first use by December 31, 2012. If you're traveling before that time, you can get discounted prices on your tickets from ARES Travel. For details, click here.

Annual Pass prices usually go up on the same day as all the other tickets, so if you are within 30 days of your renewal date, I recommend renewing early if necessary, before prices go up.*If you were planning to buy an Annual Pass for a future trip, you may want to buy a voucher soon, to avoid the price increase. (Annual Pass vouchers can be redeemed for up to 12 months.*For more about vouchers, click here.) The only discounts on regular (non Southern California Resident) Disneyland Annual Passes are for members of Automobile Club of Southern California and Disney Vacation Club members (for a new Annual Pass only, not renewals).

Anyone know how much delux ap's will go up?

mommy2allyandaveri
05-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Sorry, didn't see there was already a thread

suzy021372
05-19-2012, 12:31 AM
A 3 day park hopper now costs what my deluxe AP cost 4 years ago. My family has really enjoyed th AP, but I believe we are now being priced out. Because I live 250 miles away I can't do the monthly payments (that doesn't make sense to me either).

I am so heart broken, I want to cry.

I hope they come through with a big DVC discount...but I am not holding my breath. :sad:

DisneyJamieCA
05-19-2012, 12:34 AM
I have a friend who wants to book a Nov trip through AAA (yes I have already tried to explain the benefits of a la carte). It the belief that package prices WON'T be going up until the end of the year. Or she should by tickets today/tomorrow and figure out hotel later?

elaine amj
05-19-2012, 12:36 AM
OMG - I'm freaking out a bit. OK, I have a package trip to WDW in Aug. I was planning to upgrade my tix to a Premier Passport while there because we want to do a DLR trip in March 2013. (Plus, we'll sneak in another trip to WDW sometime in the year).

From what I understand, I can only upgrade to Premier Passport in person - which means I'm stuck with whatever rate it is at that time - and given this huge increase, the Premier will likely go way up in price too.

On top of that, I cannot buy DLR tix before the price increase because they expire at the end of the year.

Help! Any suggestions?

indygirl99
05-19-2012, 12:36 AM
DH and I decided when we were in DLR the first week of this month to make this "A year of Disney" and upgraded our 6 day hoppers to AP's.

He is doing the happy dance that I talked him into making that purchase.:cool1:

ArchOwl
05-19-2012, 12:39 AM
OMG - I'm freaking out a bit. OK, I have a package trip to WDW in Aug. I was planning to upgrade my tix to a Premier Passport while there because we want to do a DLR trip in March 2013. (Plus, we'll sneak in another trip to WDW sometime in the year).

From what I understand, I can only upgrade to Premier Passport in person - which means I'm stuck with whatever rate it is at that time - and given this huge increase, the Premier will likely go way up in price too.

On top of that, I cannot buy DLR tix before the price increase because they expire at the end of the year.

Help! Any suggestions?

I am not sure there is anything you can do. Earlier in the thread I believe it was said that the Premier would be $849, but double check me to be sure. That is still a pretty good price for both parks I think.

Halloweenqueen
05-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Forgive me, but the special $199, 3 day park hoppers are only good until May 28th, right? Or is that just the purchase deadline. TIA

jumparound
05-19-2012, 12:43 AM
:sad: I already bought 3 day park hoppers and paid for our hotel for our trip at the end of August. We were planning on upgrading to APs, with 5 nights in hotel and 4 days in park. Now that prices are going up we'll need more money than originally thought and idk what we're going to do. So stressful!

mommy2allyandaveri
05-19-2012, 12:46 AM
So if I purchase our AP's tomorrow and activate in November, they will expire a year from tomorrow or a year from November?

ArchOwl
05-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Forgive me, but the special $199, 3 day park hoppers are only good until May 28th, right? Or is that just the purchase deadline. TIA

First use must occur by May 28th and they expire 13 days after first use.

ArchOwl
05-19-2012, 12:47 AM
:sad: I already bought 3 day park hoppers and paid for our hotel for our trip at the end of August. We were planning on upgrading to APs, with 5 nights in hotel and 4 days in park. Now that prices are going up we'll need more money than originally thought and idk what we're going to do. So stressful!

Are you a California resident? You could use the monthly payment plan.

Boston Tea Party
05-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Got a Premium AP in March. Won't be doing that again. :crazy2:

abouley
05-19-2012, 01:02 AM

There are two questions unanswered right now because DL has recently changed its online AP system:

1. Are the regular APs sold online "pre-activated" (and thus expire a year from the date of purchase), or are they activated when you take them to the park? I don't know for sure, and for that reason I recommend buying the "gift voucher" option just to be safe. Then take the voucher to DL and exchange it for a new AP whenever you are ready to start using your new AP.

2. Most sources are telling me the AP vouchers can be exchanged for a year without paying an upcharge. One source says the upcharge applies after the end of the calendar year.

Both are fairly minor issues. If I had an AP expiring in August and definitely wanted to "renew" it, I would buy a "gift voucher" for a new pass now, before the price goes up. Losing the renewal discount is nothing compared with these AP price increases!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

One downside of this is that you can't do the payment plan with the gift voucher.

The other thing I'm trying to figure out if you buy online and your first day of visit is a blocked out day, can you still get in that day?

OctoberDisney
05-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Well....

We did it!! I just bought the online passes. I did NOT buy vouchers. The terms and conditions said this:

5.A new Annual Passport expires 1-year from the first date of entry into a DisneylandŽ Resort Theme Park. A renewed Annual Passport expires on the anniversary date of the original Passport.

I've been checking the Dis daily in anticipation of news of this increase. I'm so glad I did.

:scared1: and :cool1:

Kathymford
05-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Well....

We did it!! I just bought the online passes. I did NOT buy vouchers. The terms and conditions said this:

5.A new Annual Passport expires 1-year from the first date of entry into a DisneylandŽ Resort Theme Park. A renewed Annual Passport expires on the anniversary date of the original Passport.

I've been checking the Dis daily in anticipation of news of this increase. I'm so glad I did.

:scared1: and :cool1:

I believe that even if you already own an AP, the idea is you purchase as a new passport, and it will just get activated as a new passport # letting your old one expire. All you lose is the $20 discount.

Priory
05-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Now I am stressed. I am getting of work at 1:30 tomorrow and we were going to drive 9 hours to DLR after. First day in the park is Sunday. I was going to upgrade my parkhopper to premium sometime that day. Now I HAVE to get to the ticket booth by midnight tomorrow or pay way way more. Ugh. Nothing can go wrong tomorrow.

christinaspring
05-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Now I am stressed. I am getting of work at 1:30 tomorrow and we were going to drive 9 hours to DLR after. First day in the park is Sunday. I was going to upgrade my parkhopper to premium sometime that day. Now I HAVE to get to the ticket booth by midnight tomorrow or pay way way more. Ugh. Nothing can go wrong tomorrow.

OMG stress!!! Good luck!

mmlover74
05-19-2012, 02:06 AM
So to be clear as a NEW AP holder: I buy the Deluxe tomorrow it will not expire until I use it on the first day. We are not sure if we will visit DL in Oct or will it expire next May? Thanks for your help...we were leaning towards getting APs anyway...this price increase has just made it more urgent to save $$.

MizzFran17
05-19-2012, 02:13 AM
So I'm a newbie, been lurking for a couple of weeks. I'm so glad I saw this!

We were going to go Sunday and buy the SoCal Select APs there, since I could use it on Sunday on the day I bought them even though it's a blockout day. Now I'm wondering if I buy the Select voucher tonight and not activate it til Sunday, can I use them on a blockout day or will I have to buy thos extra blockout day tickets?

If not, I'll be buying the SoCal AP with Sundays included since it is the same price now as the Select will be on Sunday.

This sucks!

aan1701
05-19-2012, 02:22 AM
I went to Disneyland tonight to renew my wife's premier pass. The girl at the ticket booth said it was really good of us to come tonight as on Sunday the price goes up to 849. So basicly they are including a WDW pass for 200 bucks if you already plan on buying premium. Not bad if you ask me. Well only if you use it, and since we go to WDW for 12-18 nights a year, we think it's a steal.

fctiger
05-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Well,,,looks like this will be our last trip to Disneyland. :sad2:

and please don't give me this,"It's sooo worth it". No it aint.

Sorry but it IS worth it if you go enough times! People only see the sticker price, which is a shock, but if you are already going once a month for a year you will already pay for the pass on your 5-6th trip alone and thats for the premium. If its for the other passes, its only 3-5 visits.

So no it IS worth it if you use it! And when you think about the discounts (and free parking with the premium) you still save waaaay more in the end, even with the steep up charges.

Now if you buy a pass and goes very few times a year then no its not worth it. But I dont get people who buy Premium passes but then only go a few times a year anyway?

papamouse1
05-19-2012, 02:36 AM

Unfortunately, there won't be much relief there... WDW is always more for tickets, and you can rest assured there price increase isn't far behind this one. I have a sneaky feeling our next trip to Orlando to stay in our DVC, we will be doing day trips to Universal, Sea World, etc. We have never gone offsite for any other park but this is getting just too hard to handle with our budget. Seems like 20% increases each year, while our income doesn't even come close to increasing to keep up. Very sad...

ExcitedSam
05-19-2012, 02:43 AM
I just bought our tickets, 4x 6 day park hopper, phew! I wouldn't have been happy if I hadnt seen this thread.

I wonder if the Aussie 14 day pass will go up then? will make it even more of a steal. ATM it's about $254 on expedia. too bad we couldnt use it as we will be back in Anaheim, but not within the 14 day window.

ReidsMomma
05-19-2012, 02:52 AM
Thank you for this post! I was putting off buying our passes for July (in hopes that some special might pop up somewhere, I know, wishful thinking!). Bought them tonight instead, (3) 3 day park hoppers for us and (6) 2 day park hoppers for the relatives going with us. Saved us over $200! Sad though, we were planning on upgrading our 3 day hoppers to annual passes at the end of our trip (since the days we are there are blacked out) and before the difference was only like $20 more, now its $115! Don't know if that will be doable for us :sad:

FireflyJar
05-19-2012, 03:09 AM
deleted

intheflame
05-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Regarding the passports expiration dates:

I purchased my passes online on June 10, 2011 and did not use the passports until June 15/16. My passports expire on June 10, 2012.

I believed that the passports would not become "activated", until used, but for me that is not true.

I'm just stating my own experience, I'm not sure if this is an error.

Astylla
05-19-2012, 03:38 AM

I purchased my passes online on June 10, 2011 and did not use the passports until June 15/16. My passports expire on June 10, 2012.

I believed that the passports would not become "activated", until used, but for me that is not true.

I have read before of this error. From my understanding from many sources including directly from the statements on the vouchers we will be activating next month - it is SUPPOSED to be from first day of USE not purchase. However I have seen in threads where the system automatically used the purchase date instead. It is best to double check your passports before leaving the ticket booth , it could be a technical error.

Here is the exact wording from my Premium Annual Pass Email Voucher -

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/Tafft1/005-3.jpg

Jen&Trenton
05-19-2012, 03:53 AM
I believe that even if you already own an AP, the idea is you purchase as a new passport, and it will just get activated as a new passport # letting your old one expire. All you lose is the $20 discount.

Ok so just to be clear before I buy NEW APs...

I have a Premium AP that expires in July, to lock in I can go to the website and purchase NEW ones without a problem?

If yes, then I have 1 year to enter the parks with my ticket, or until Dec 31/12 to not be charged the increase?

:confused3

bumbershoot
05-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Actually, the problem is fewer people coming in from out of town means more money is needed per person.

The parks are busier than ever, but a good chunk are passholders, hence why the major increase there. Many passholders do not spend much money in the park, my recommendatio

So then they don't have longer tickets, like 10 days, and they don't have no-expiration, so those of us who like to stay longer are FORCED to buy APs, and then there are 3 more AP holders, and then.....

Whoever is thinking of these ticket schemes, while "blaming" AP holders for overcrowding and lines and not buying things etc, is NOT thinking it through.

They'll be going up too.

Sorry but it IS worth it if you go enough times!

But I dont get people who buy Premium passes but then only go a few times a year anyway?

Going enough times is easy if you live close. If you don't, you get hotel, air, transportation to and from two airports, food costs, tips, souvenirs, and all the other little things. It *adds up*.

We haven't gotten a Premium, since we've been able to schedule around the Deluxe's blackout dates (having a blackout on our travel day isn't a hardship), but the ONLY thing we think of when buying an AP is "how many trips do we have planned, and if you add up the tickets for those trips is it more or less than getting an AP". That's IT. Anything else is a bonus.

Mary, I got the email you sent out earlier today, and appreciated it!

We're still "safe" because we have APs (me through early December, hubby and son through early Feb), but after that...we might be in Darph's world of "I'm just not sure it's worth THAT amount of money". :scared: Glad we didn't buy DVC for Disneyland!

Disney Dreams
05-19-2012, 04:25 AM
So to be clear as a NEW AP holder: I buy the Deluxe tomorrow it will not expire until I use it on the first day. We are not sure if we will visit DL in Oct or will it expire next May? Thanks for your help...we were leaning towards getting APs anyway...this price increase has just made it more urgent to save $$.
Not quite. If you buy an AP VOUCHER it begins on the date of activation. If you buy an AP, it begins immediately.

So I'm a newbie, been lurking for a couple of weeks. I'm so glad I saw this!

We were going to go Sunday and buy the SoCal Select APs there, since I could use it on Sunday on the day I bought them even though it's a blockout day. Now I'm wondering if I buy the Select voucher tonight and not activate it til Sunday, can I use them on a blockout day or will I have to buy thos extra blockout day tickets?

If not, I'll be buying the SoCal AP with Sundays included since it is the same price now as the Select will be on Sunday.

This sucks!
Welcome out of lurking.

Okay, follow me here. If you buy an AP on a blockout day, you can get an Exception Pass that admits you on the day you purchased your AP even though that day is blocked out. When you purchase your AP you need to let the CM know you want to go into the Parks on that day.

If you buy a VOUCHER instead of the actual AP, I am not sure if you can enter on a blockout day because you are not buying the actual AP. I would call and ask on this one.

If you purchased the PASS, yes, it expires one year from date of purchase. If you purchased the VOUCHER, it would have expired one year from date of activation.

I have read before of this error. From my understanding from many sources including directly from the statements on the vouchers we will be activating next month - it is SUPPOSED to be from first day of USE not purchase. However I have seen in threads where the system automatically used the purchase date instead. It is best to double check your passports before leaving the ticket booth , it could be a technical error.

Here is the exact wording from my Premium Annual Pass Email Voucher -

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/Tafft1/005-3.jpg
What was described by the above poster was not an error. If what was purchased was the PASS, it --- well, read my comment to the quote one up from here. :)

Ok so just to be clear before I buy NEW APs...

I have a Premium AP that expires in July, to lock in I can go to the website and purchase NEW ones without a problem?

If yes, then I have 1 year to enter the parks with my ticket, or until Dec 31/12 to not be charged the increase?

:confused3
I am not sure if this is correct. Last time there was an increase, DH's AP was a certain number of days away from expiring (more than 60 I think - but not sure on my memory on that) and we were told that even if his pass expired, if he renewed within X number of days of the expired pass it would bridge to his old expiration date. I cannot remember the number of days, which is crucial to your scenario. I would call and ask.

- Dreams

Jen&Trenton
05-19-2012, 04:35 AM
I am not sure if this is correct. Last time there was an increase, DH's AP was a certain number of days away from expiring (more than 60 I think - but not sure on my memory on that) and we were told that even if his pass expired, if he renewed within X number of days of the expired pass it would bridge to his old expiration date. I cannot remember the number of days, which is crucial to your scenario. I would call and ask.

- Dreams

Thanks Dreams - I just tried to call but couldn't get through. Maybe there's a number to call internationally that is open 24 hours? I'm in the middle east right now... :flower3:

fctiger
05-19-2012, 04:35 AM
So then they don't have longer tickets, like 10 days, and they don't have no-expiration, so those of us who like to stay longer are FORCED to buy APs, and then there are 3 more AP holders, and then.....

Going enough times is easy if you live close. If you don't, you get hotel, air, transportation to and from two airports, food costs, tips, souvenirs, and all the other little things. It *adds up*.

We haven't gotten a Premium, since we've been able to schedule around the Deluxe's blackout dates (having a blackout on our travel day isn't a hardship), but the ONLY thing we think of when buying an AP is "how many trips do we have planned, and if you add up the tickets for those trips is it more or less than getting an AP". That's IT. Anything else is a bonus.

No I get all of that completely! Yeah the resort do make people buy Aps if they want more than just a few days basically! Trust me I understand. But the AP is meant for people who generally go to the park monthly or every few months minimum and USUALLY live close! I have an AP, only 3 in my life but because I live 30 mins away. If I lived outside of an hour, I doubt I would go more than 2-3 times a year tops, so I wouldnt get one.

My only point is Aps are designed for people who like and CAN go often! I do wish DLR had something more in the middle between multiday passes and APs. Like something where you can buy days in bulk like 10-20 days, used anytime just within a year! I think people would love those and it would cut down people who only buy APs because there isnt any other choice if they want to go more than 3 days a year and dont want to do it within 2 weeks!

Astylla
05-19-2012, 04:58 AM
Dreams - You are right , oops! That's what I get for posting after a nightmarish shift at the hotel..sorry about any confusion I may have caused there ><

Since we are on the payment plan in CA we did indeed get the vouchers that have to be activated hence why the wording is such. My apologies for confusing the above posters !

Disney Dreams
05-19-2012, 05:12 AM
Thanks Dreams - I just tried to call but couldn't get through. Maybe there's a number to call internationally that is open 24 hours? I'm in the middle east right now... :flower3:
There is no 24 hour line. You can send an email from this page (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/email/), but since you need an answer before Sunday (in USA), I don't know if they will get back to you in time. I have no idea what the response rate is.

I *think* the phone lines open at 8am Pacific time (it is 2am right now). They might be earlier, but I don't know as I have never called that early. :goodvibes

...But the AP is meant for people who generally go to the park monthly or every few months minimum and USUALLY live close! ... If I lived outside of an hour, I doubt I would go more than 2-3 times a year tops, so I wouldnt get one.

My only point is Aps are designed for people who like and CAN go often! I do wish DLR had something more in the middle between multiday passes and APs...
I respectfully, completely disagree with you.

The are a LOT of AP holders who don't even live in CA, muchless within an hour of the Resort. If someone goes to the Parks 5 individual days, spaced out, in one year --- they are better off getting a Premium Annual pass. It's even sooner if you consider the parking and accompanying discounts. We have friends who live in AZ. They come to So Cal several times a year. They always plan one extra day to spend a day at Disney. They are a perfect example. They do not live locally, but they would be crazy not to have an AP, mathematically. There are endless people in their situation.

Locals and AP holders are not synonymous.

Dreams - You are right , oops! That's what I get for posting after a nightmarish shift at the hotel..sorry about any confusion I may have caused there ><

Since we are on the payment plan in CA we did indeed get the vouchers that have to be activated hence why the wording is such. My apologies for confusing the above posters !

Eh, happens to the best of us. Sleep deprivation can do fun things. :upsidedow

Hope you get to catch up on some sleep soon.

- Dreams :wizard:

Disney Dreams
05-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Nothing to see... moving right along.

And a smile for your time. :wizard:

fctiger
05-19-2012, 05:38 AM
I respectfully, completely disagree with you.

The are a LOT of AP holders who don't even live in CA, muchless within an hour of the Resort. If someone goes to the Parks 5 individual days, spaced out, in one year --- they are better off getting a Premium Annual pass. It's even sooner if you consider the parking and accompanying discounts. We have friends who live in AZ. They come to So Cal several times a year. They always plan one extra day to spend a day at Disney. They are a perfect example. They do not live locally, but they would be crazy not to have an AP, mathematically. There are endless people in their situation.

Locals and AP holders are not synonymous.

Again, I get all of that trust me! I have friends who live on other continents who have APs! My very first AP I wasnt even living in America at the time myself! But I only bought it because I was back visiting in L.A. and it made more sense to buy it as I was going to be at the resort for about a week and the Deluxe pass at the time was the SAME price as a 5 day pass (wow remember THOSE days lol) and I was coming back again before the end of the year anyway and used it some more! I wouldve been nuts not to, so I'm not remotely suggesting only people who live close to the park are the only people who buy them, not at all!

But my point, my REAL point is most people who buy them and lives far away is because they usually think they can come out ahead if they know they are going to go to the park at least twice in the year! And thats fine, but APs in general are designed for people who likes to go to the parks often. Sure anyone can buy them, but the idea is if you are buying a Deluxe pass where you have 320 days to use it, then you most likely you are going to go a few times a month! If you know you are only going to go maybe 8-10 days a year, then in general there is no reason to buy a pass with all that time on it unless you feel thats the only option. And thats my beef with it since its more for convience than anything if you live far away and I get that completely! And my point is they shouldnt HAVE to buy an AP just so they can justify going to the resort just twice a year! But they feel like they are forced to as the other poster said and thats what bothers me about it! There should be more ticketing options out there! More flexibility in how you can use them, etc! My issues arent with the people who buy them certainly, its with Disney for not giving them any more choices when they can give SO much more!

Thats why I do wish Disney would make something more in the middle where people dont have to feel they need to buy a Deluxe or Premium pass if they want to do 2 or 3 vacations in the year but dont want to keep buying 3 day passes everytime OR buy an AP and just try to get all of their money out of it.

But I suspect thats basically the point. They WANT people to buy those APs as much as possible, even if they end up using them less time than they are worth. One of my best friends who is from Texas and ALSO has a PAP, buys one practically every year but is lucky if he actually makes it out twice a year to use it! He only used it for a week last year! I suspect that happens to many out there who buys them, but then plans or life changes on them.

Oakley7
05-19-2012, 08:38 AM

Mary
MouseSavers.com

APs (and any ticket) are not activated until you use them for the first time.

Vouchers are good for 1year from purchase. The calendar year has nothing to do with them

nannyz
05-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Just bought our 6-day hoppers. Now I don't feel so bad that this was going to be our last trip for a while.

nunzia
05-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Sorry but it IS worth it if you go enough times! People only see the sticker price, which is a shock, but if you are already going once a month for a year you will already pay for the pass on your 5-6th trip alone and thats for the premium. If its for the other passes, its only 3-5 visits.

So no it IS worth it if you use it! And when you think about the discounts (and free parking with the premium) you still save waaaay more in the end, even with the steep up charges.

Now if you buy a pass and goes very few times a year then no its not worth it. But I dont get people who buy Premium passes but then only go a few times a year anyway?

I get the Deluxe and only go twice a year for the most part and it is worth it. As long as it is less than double whatever the price would be for tickets two different times it works for me. My DH is only going once so I'll let his AP expire and just buy him a 5 day hopper today before prices go up. My AP doesn't expire until September and I've just gotten confused reading all this about how to get around paying the increase so will just pay the new price. I'm not surprised at all...the massive AP holders, especially in the California categories, really do crowd the parks and that will only get worse with CarsLand opeing, so I don't blame them for trying to ease the crowding a bit along with increasing revenue.

OctoberDisney
05-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Not quite. If you buy an AP VOUCHER it begins on the date of activation. If you buy an AP, it begins immediately.

If you purchased the PASS, yes, it expires one year from date of purchase. If you purchased the VOUCHER, it would have expired one year from date of activation.

What was described by the above poster was not an error. If what was purchased was the PASS, it --- well, read my comment to the quote one up from here. :)

- Dreams

I purchased passes online NOT vouchers. On my confirmation email AND on each ticket that we turn in to exchange for our APs, it says "expires one year after FIRST ENTRY". It doesn't say 1 year from date of purchase.

cmwade77
05-19-2012, 10:13 AM
You need to buy the gift voucher and must redeem it within 1 year; however, the annual pass will expire 1 year from the date you redeem the voucher, so if you go in October, it will expire 1 year from then.

PinkBudgie
05-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Ok, now I'm confused. I can't decide if I should buy the gift vouchers or not. We are going in July and plan to go July 2013. We can't have the APs expire in May. Is there a downside to buying the vouchers?

NStramler
05-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Ok, now I'm confused. I can't decide if I should buy the gift vouchers or not. We are going in July and plan to go July 2013. We can't have the APs expire in May. Is there a downside to buying the vouchers?

The passes expire 1 year from the first day you use them, not a year from the day you buy them. Meaning, next July you would need to come earlier than you do this year because they will expire 1 year from the day that you first use them. Example: you use the pass July 10, 2012... it will expire July 10, 2013

kelmac284
05-19-2012, 10:35 AM
I think this is really sad. I think Walt would be distressed if he knew that they are soon going to make it SO expensive that a lot of people won't be able to afford it. I know for me I had a Deluxe AP since 06 and then it just got to be so expensive that I let it expire a year ago. Then when they came out with the monthly payments I decided to get a premiere for this year because we were making 3 trips. I am GLAD I did and glad that we will GET those trips because they literally are making it to where we will not be able to even afford parkhoppers anymore.

I am on a very limited income and with the economy am lucky to have a job at all but have not had a raise in 10 years. My ex husband not only had no raises but took a 10/hr pay CUT and that is when he is not laid off. To me the economy has not rebounded at all and yet EVERYTHING is going up. Gas, airfare, everything. I honestly don't see how people can afford to do anything. I guess like a lot of stuff only the rich will be able to go pretty soon. So sad! :(

lwilkison
05-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Sorry, didn't see there was already a thread

There are a few threads! No worries! We are all thinking the same thing! :scared1: ;)

Meriweather
05-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Just got home from a vacation and saw this.
Just bought our Deluxes.....we go in Dec.

sierranevada
05-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Again - a big THANK YOU to this thread! I am going with a group of friends in July - 11 people total and 2 have passes. So between the 9 PH tickets we have to buy, we saved about $360! Plus I am going to buy my premium voucher since mine expires in Aug and I will be going back in Sept. Another $150 saved!!

:dance3:

jumparound
05-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Are you a California resident? You could use the monthly payment plan.

I am, and am thinking about just buying passes right now and canceling the 3 day park hoppers I already bought. Does anyone know how much it costs to cancel ticket purchases through getawaytoday?

Mousequake
05-19-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a trip already planned and booked for September that has 6-day Park Hoppers. I had already planned on upgrading to APs while I was there, so I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for me. If I pay $379 now for a Deluxe Pass voucher today and activate it in September, I would have a full year until September 2013 to use it. If I wait to upgrade the 6-Day Park Hopper that I have with my current package when I get there in September, I'd be paying a total of $469 for the same access to the park, through September 2013.

For some reason, probably because it's early in the morning and I haven't had coffee yet, I'm having trouble determining the best course of action. If I was considering upgrading our tickets in September to APs, it doesn't make any financial sense to wait, right? I should jump on it today before the prices go up and then downgrade my September vacation package to hotel only?

Tiny Little Seed
Boo! I just posted a (tactful, but not-so-flattering) comment on the Disney blog. It's awaiting moderation. :rolleyes: We'll see..

Looks like maybe this will finally be the price increase that shrinks the number of AP holders (starting with me).

Teki
Thats a bummer when I have to spend more to get in I have less to spend on stuff in the parks :sad:

letitsnow
I just got off the phone with guest services for AP. I asked if I can renew my pass before the prices go up. I checked online and it is too early to renew. Lily (cast member) stated that as long as I renew before July 1st I will be able to lock in the current price without the increase.

You can renew your AP 40 days prior to expiring.

MychaelP
05-19-2012, 11:52 AM
How late tonight can we buy them online? Can't get through on the 714 phone number

cmwade77
05-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Just got home from a vacation and saw this.
Just bought our Deluxes.....we go in Dec.

Hey Meriweather, long time, no see or talk, be sure to say hi when you come. At least if we aren't in Disney World......LOL.

cmwade77
05-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Boo! I just posted a (tactful, but not-so-flattering) comment on the Disney blog. It's awaiting moderation. :rolleyes: We'll see..

Looks like maybe this will finally be the price increase that shrinks the number of AP holders (starting with me).

So did I, but it was rejected, I have tried rewording it and reposting, we'll see if that makes it through.

rentayenta
05-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Is it legal to buy AP vouchers now but not activate them until our trip which won't be until next year?

dnamertz
05-19-2012, 12:02 PM
May 20th... SUNDAY!

The prices go up May 20th, but how long are tickets at the old prices vaild until? We're going in 2013...can I buy tickets today at the current lower price, and still use them in 2013?

mmlover74
05-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I just got off the phone with a CM and she said that if I buy the AP the expiration date will not go into affect until first day of entry using them. The voucher has to be used by the end of this year to avoid paying the difference.

rentayenta
05-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I just got off the phone with a CM and she said that if I buy the AP the expiration date will not go into affect until first day of entry using them. The voucher has to be used by the end of this year to avoid paying the difference.

So me buying APs now with a first use of next year won't work. Buggar!

michelleh1
05-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I am, and am thinking about just buying passes right now and canceling the 3 day park hoppers I already bought. Does anyone know how much it costs to cancel ticket purchases through getawaytoday?

I called when I bought our tickets last month and was told it was $15 to cancel. Unless you bought the peace of mind plan for $10, then there's no additional charge.

MommyLove
05-19-2012, 12:17 PM
omg, so glad I checked the DIS last night. We're planning on going in Oct. I was going to buy hoppers so we could get a Magic Morning, then upgrade to Premium AP's (a year of DL for our family!)

But for a family of six with five needing tickets, the difference for the Premiums would be $750!!! :scared:

Looks like we'll have to forgo the MM and I'm buying the AP's today. Wasn't quite ready financially to do it today, but man... a $750 if we don't... :faint:

We haven't been able to go in years because we couldn't afford it. I'm going to count our blessings that we can start going again and that we can get the AP's today at the last minute's notice like this. :worship:

Jen&Trenton
05-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Also just got off the phone with a CM. Since my AP doesn't expire until July he suggested I purchase vouchers which will expire from the date of entry. He mentioned that if I entered after Dec 31/12, I would be charged the difference upon entry. I asked if purchasing online is as safe as over the phone and he said phone. So I began giving him info then it was cut short since United Arab Emirates (for the billing address) didn't come up in his system! It does online thankfully so that is what I ended up doing.

Yay! So excited to have an AP for another year (from the date of entry) at this price! :flower3:

cmwade77
05-19-2012, 12:31 PM
omg, so glad I checked the DIS last night. We're planning on going in Oct. I was going to buy hoppers so we could get a Magic Morning, then upgrade to Premium AP's (a year of DL for our family!)

But for a family of six with five needing tickets, the difference for the Premiums would be $750!!! :scared:

Looks like we'll have to forgo the MM and I'm buying the AP's today. Wasn't quite ready financially to do it today, but man... a $750 if we don't... :faint:

We haven't been able to go in years because we couldn't afford it. I'm going to count our blessings that we can start going again and that we can get the AP's today at the last minute's notice like this. :worship:

If you ar staying onsite, you can still get MM on the hotel days. Also prior to September, you can get a MM at each park with an AP.

mabdallah
05-19-2012, 12:31 PM
So glad I bought our tickets early, we bought our package for this August in Feb so our 4 day park hoppers sound like a great deal now. I am also glad that through this board I was able to let my parents know to buy there 3 day park hoppers last week becuase of the rumors of ticket increase, I saved them some money!!!!:cool1: Thanks disboards for all the planning help, could not do it without you!!!

Sherry E
05-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I, too, was stunned by the price hikes.

Don't get me wrong - I knew all along that we'd be seeing another price increase before Cars Land opens. In fact, as soon as the prices went up last year in June - instead of in August, which was the expected time - I knew that it meant that the prices would go up around the same time this year, just in time for the masses to descend upon DCA for the unveiling of all the new stuff. (Although I expected the increase to happen in June and not in May.)

I even figured that Disney would increase the increase, as it were... I assumed they would go from, say, a $40 or $50 price hike on the Premium and Deluxe AP's to, perhaps, something like a $60/$70 increase. Maybe even $75 for the Premium. It would still hurt the ol' wallet, of course, but because of all the new things that are poised to debut at DLR in just a few weeks, I thought it was likely.

I just about fell on the floor in shock when I saw that the Premiums are going up by $150, and the Deluxe by $90. Actually, I don't even know what to say about it that hasn't already been said in this thread! Frankly, some of what I said and thought (to myself) can't even be repeated on the DIS!:rotfl:

I know Disney is a massive entity in the business world, and they know how to make strategic decisions and raise prices on everything while still reeling in the adoring fans who eat it all up (that would be us). So I am sure there must be a method to their madness in raising the prices soooo much all at one time, rather that kind of doing it in stages over time.

This kind of huge increase in the AP prices only makes sense to me - in my non-business-oriented mind - if Disney were not going to increase its prices at all for another 2 or 3 years. IF they skip an increase next year and don't raise the prices again until 2014 or 2015, then tomorrow's price hikes would seem reasonable to me. But...how many of us really think that Disney is not going to raise its prices again for another 2 or 3 years? It's highly likely that there will be some sort of increase every single year, as there has been every year for a long time.

My AP doesn't expire until November, so it will carry me through a couple of Halloween Time visits, thankfully. But, my annual DLR trip in December - which is what I look forward to every year, and which is my true priority over all other Disney trips - will be affected. I'm not sure I'll be able to renew the Premium AP. I may have to downgrade to the Deluxe (and take the lower food discounts) or go with a Hopper. I'm not in a position to get a voucher for a new AP now, unfortunately. I will have to just play it by ear and sort it all out in another few months.

mmlover74
05-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Thank you to posting this, I was able to talk Hubby into buying APs sooner rather than later.

PinkBudgie
05-19-2012, 12:44 PM
The passes expire 1 year from the first day you use them, not a year from the day you buy them. Meaning, next July you would need to come earlier than you do this year because they will expire 1 year from the day that you first use them. Example: you use the pass July 10, 2012... it will expire July 10, 2013

Yes, this is what we normally do but people are making think it works differently now. :confused3 That's where I got concerned.

Sherry E
05-19-2012, 12:45 PM
I just merged another couple of threads into this one - same exact topic/discussion; no real need for several separate threads.

limace
05-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Whew! Thank God I stalk these boards and get the Mousesavers emails, especially since we need 6 day hoppers. Bought mine today! Now my husband can't change his mind about our trip :). Or I guess he can, and I'll leave the toddler home with him and bring a friend!

Susie63
05-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Is there any info on 7 day passes for Canadians? We are going in February and I was going to upgrade 7 day PH's to AP's. I am hoping to go again in October for my 50th Bday :upsidedow
If my plan works out and I do get to go twice....16 days in the parks with an AP works out to about $30 a day.I think that is a real bargain.Even at 11 days it is $43 a day.
Considering that the local fair charges $15 a person to ride the ferris wheel and tilt a whirl...:clown:

Halloweenqueen
05-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Our APs expire in September. We were planning one more trip in August, then we were going to let them expire and renew in October. Now I doubt we will even go in October. New deluxe AP price times seven is just crazy.

Looks like we will stick to annual trips after this year. :sad:

NewbieMouse
05-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Mary
MouseSavers.com

I want to make sure I have this right re: booking packages and ticket increases. Since I read on here that package prices are normally locked in for the year, I called Disney and they said that they WOULD be affected! They told me if I booked the package today (and my dates weren't within 30 days), as long as I paid my $200 deposit my price would be locked in. But if I booked tomorrow, the package prices will be higher due to the increase.

Normally I know it is cheaper to book separately, but I had been debating a Fairfield package as it's the one hotel where I actually find package prices better than booking separately, and if you go through Costco you get the free character dining and $20 gift card + extras.

Now I'm totally confused. And a little depressed - it's getting so expensive!

Belle Ella
05-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Jeepers, creepers! Going as often as I do the prices for the AP's are still a bargain, but putting down that much all at once or even the newer monthly amount I just could never pull off right now. Glad I don't have to worry about it for quite a while. But I'm pretty sure this will make it harder for my family to come down to visit me later this year.

FoodLover
05-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Since I read on here that package prices are normally locked in for the year, I called Disney and they said that they WOULD be affected! They told me if I booked the package today (and my dates weren't within 30 days), as long as I paid my $200 deposit my price would be locked in. But if I booked tomorrow, the package prices will be higher due to the increase.

That has never been the case in the past. Of course with Disney, everything is always "subject to change at any time."

Package prices are published annually and Disney has contracts with various vendors (Costco, AAA, Southwest Vacations, Alaska Airlines Vacations, etc.) at specific prices for the calendar year. Brochures are out there, printed with 2012 package prices. They really can't very well tell Costco "oh sorry, those contractually agreed-upon 2012 prices are going up now."

So I can't 100% guarantee it, but it has always been the case in the past that the package prices did NOT go up until the next calendar year, even if ticket prices went up.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

FoodLover
05-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure I'll be able to renew the Premium AP. I may have to downgrade to the Deluxe (and take the lower food discounts) or go with a Hopper.

I really think your example illustrates the whole point of these increases. Disney is raising prices partially to keep down the demand. DLR is already pushing the limit on crowds, and Cars Land is going to really test the capacity.

So if you go less often but pay more for each visit, that accomplishes Disney's goals... it keeps the crowds manageable and increases profits. Frustrating, but the parks only have so much capacity and it seems like the demand is practically limitless!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

ArchOwl
05-19-2012, 01:33 PM
I, too, was stunned by the price hikes.

Don't get me wrong - I knew all along that we'd be seeing another price increase before Cars Land opens. In fact, as soon as the prices went up last year in June - instead of in August, which was the expected time - I knew that it meant that the prices would go up around the same time this year, just in time for the masses to descend upon DCA for the unveiling of all the new stuff. (Although I expected the increase to happen in June and not in May.)

I even figured that Disney would increase the increase, as it were... I assumed they would go from, say, a $40 or $50 price hike on the Premium and Deluxe AP's to, perhaps, something like a $60/$70 increase. Maybe even $75 for the Premium. It would still hurt the ol' wallet, of course, but because of all the new things that are poised to debut at DLR in just a few weeks, I thought it was likely.

I just about fell on the floor in shock when I saw that the Premiums are going up by $150, and the Deluxe by $90. Actually, I don't even know what to say about it that hasn't already been said in this thread! Frankly, some of what I said and thought (to myself) can't even be repeated on the DIS!:rotfl:

I know Disney is a massive entity in the business world, and they know how to make strategic decisions and raise prices on everything while still reeling in the adoring fans who eat it all up (that would be us). So I am sure there must be a method to their madness in raising the prices soooo much all at one time, rather that kind of doing it in stages over time.

This kind of huge increase in the AP prices only makes sense to me - in my non-business-oriented mind - if Disney were not going to increase its prices at all for another 2 or 3 years. IF they skip an increase next year and don't raise the prices again until 2014 or 2015, then tomorrow's price hikes would seem reasonable to me. But...how many of us really think that Disney is not going to raise its prices again for another 2 or 3 years? It's highly likely that there will be some sort of increase every single year, as there has been every year for a long time.

My AP doesn't expire until November, so it will carry me through a couple of Halloween Time visits, thankfully. But, my annual DLR trip in December - which is what I look forward to every year, and which is my true priority over all other Disney trips - will be affected. I'm not sure I'll be able to renew the Premium AP. I may have to downgrade to the Deluxe (and take the lower food discounts) or go with a Hopper. I'm not in a position to get a voucher for a new AP now, unfortunately. I will have to just play it by ear and sort it all out in another few months.

I believe that Disney may very well want to thin the ranks of AP holders and tip the balance in favor of more tourist types. No better way to do that then raise the prices dramatically. I think they will wait and see what impact the price hike has. If it does thin the herd, then they will have accomplished their goal and we may see moderate hikes. If the price hike doesn't change the mix of visitors to DL, then we may see more aggressive price hikes in the future.

I think we are seeing Disney "get real" about the impact APs have on the parks as seen during OMDD and other events. Also just the typical issues surrounding APers during the course of a week and how they impact park operations. Lots of people thought the AP was a great deal, maybe too good of a deal. Now we will see if a price hike changes that view.

Dizneydaz
05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
I am in total shock as to the price increase! OMG. Our AP exp in Dec. and I haven't renewed yet. Last year I got the Premium. This year NO WAY! $1298 for just DD12 and me? Today it's $998 which means $300 more. That's insane!

Side note-I did get DD and I AP to Knott's in Feb. for $69/each. What a great value that is now (and yes I know KBF doesn't compare to DLR but it is a fun park in it's own way-especially if you go off-season when it's empty)

So now I'm looking at getting the Deluxe (today) for $857 (with parking on one) vs. paying $1067 starting tomorrow. Inc. of $210, or 24%. 24%!!!! So starting tomorrow, the Deluxe AP with parking on one will cost more than a Premium AP does today. :sad::confused3

I just called my DSis (pass exp. 6/23) to let her know to get her AP today.

Thanks once again to the boards to let us know how to save a little Disney money. Glad I came on today. I've been working M-F and haven't been online as much.

While I understand why Disney is doing this and it may reduce the crowds at DLR as less and less people get AP, it still stings!

pudinhd
05-19-2012, 01:56 PM
I have been on hold with AP guest services for 15 minutes. Has anyone been able to find out the time difference needed between annual passes so that the new AP isn't a renewal with the old expiration date? :confused3

NewbieMouse
05-19-2012, 02:01 PM
That has never been the case in the past. Of course with Disney, everything is always "subject to change at any time."

Package prices are published annually and Disney has contracts with various vendors (Costco, AAA, Southwest Vacations, Alaska Airlines Vacations, etc.) at specific prices for the calendar year. Brochures are out there, printed with 2012 package prices. They really can't very well tell Costco "oh sorry, those contractually agreed-upon 2012 prices are going up now."

So I can't 100% guarantee it, but it has always been the case in the past that the package prices did NOT go up until the next calendar year, even if ticket prices went up.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Thanks for responding, Mary. I think I'm going to forget about the package and just bite the bullet and buy my tickets today, as I'm so-so on the Fairfield. Maybe I'll get one with my air miles to take the sting off a little bit; I really hadn't planned on shelling out for the tickets this soon. I'm going to check package prices tomorrow, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

But, my annual DLR trip in December - which is what I look forward to every year, and which is my true priority over all other Disney trips - will be affected.

I hear you, Sherry. We are going on year 3 of what I had hoped would be an annual Christmas Disney trip, but these prices are just getting out of hand. :sad:

KCmike
05-19-2012, 02:02 PM
I was expecting an increase, but not like that one. I renewed minutes ago just to beat the increase on Monday and it expires in 2 weeks anyways.

How's it going Sleepless Knight? Haven't seen you post in awhile?

Showpony
05-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Sadly I think when our AP's expire in October we also will have to revert back to yearly trips. I can't justify a $90 increase for 2 deluxe AP's. I truly believe that Disney is outpricing us 'little people'. It's so expensive now just to take a family even for one day, and that makes me sad. It used to be a relatively inexpensive vacation for people but now it's just getting out of reach. I understand that it's a business, but seriously?? Raising prices every year $50, $60 or $90 for passes?? Way too much for ny blood. :sad:

mmlover74
05-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I bought the Deluxe APs and was told by 3 different CM that the AP will start from the first day of use...I hope that clarifies for someone else. I was confused earlier.

Sherry E
05-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I believe that Disney may very well want to thin the ranks of AP holders and tip the balance in favor of more tourist types. No better way to do that then raise the prices dramatically. I think they will wait and see what impact the price hike has. If it does thin the herd, then they will have accomplished their goal and we may see moderate hikes. If the price hike doesn't change the mix of visitors to DL, then we may see more aggressive price hikes in the future.

I think we are seeing Disney "get real" about the impact APs have on the parks as seen during OMDD and other events. Also just the typical issues surrounding APers during the course of a week and how they impact park operations. Lots of people thought the AP was a great deal, maybe too good of a deal. Now we will see if a price hike changes that view.

I agree with all of your points (and I agree with Mary above). I think you hit the nail on the head.

It's funny you used the term "thin the herd," because that was exactly one of the ideas that ran through my mind last night, after hearing about the huge increases!:rotfl2: I thought that same thing, "They're thinning the herd!" (Albeit, I think they're doing it in a slightly passive-aggressive way, i.e., 'Here, everyone, come see all of the wonderful new things at the Disneyland Resort, but...only if you can afford to get in after we jack up the prices to stratospheric heights!':rotfl2:)

Yep - it is going to be very, very interesting, indeed, to observe how much of an impact these price hikes will have on AP purchases (of any level) and on crowds, and in what amount of time. For example, will there be significant drop-offs in AP purchases and AP holders by the end of Summer? Or by Christmas? Or by the end of the year? Will the crowds during October suddenly get lighter (they have been pretty substantial since 2008) and go back to making Fall an off-peak season? Will the holiday crowds still be huge?

I'm not thrilled about the prices but I am very curious to see how this will all play out and if Disney will succeed in thinning the herd!

Oh, and another thing - for these kinds of prices, DLR had better go back to sticking a giant candy corn or two in DCA during Halloween Time!:rotfl: DCA needs to be included in the Halloween festivities once again. DLR had also better not remove another single thing from the New Orleans Square holiday decorations, as they seem to do every year. And for the love of everything holy, I hope they give us back our old ToonTown Christmas trees and get rid of the hideous plastic monstrosities that were there last year.

MommyLove
05-19-2012, 02:14 PM
If you ar staying onsite, you can still get MM on the hotel days. Also prior to September, you can get a MM at each park with an AP.

We're staying at the Park Vue and not going until October. So no MM's for us. At least not for the October trip. Or the January trip when we stay at HoJo. But we do hope to stay at DH some time in 2013. :scratchin

pudinhd
05-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I finally reached someone over the phone and we bought the premium AP vouchers. It was really stressful because we weren't even sure we were going to renew, but definitely didn't want to pay the $649. Not to mention that we didn't renew at the Fantastmic event with a $20 discount!

To answer my own question, if you don't want the AP to be renewed and want a new AP, you need to wait until after 30 days to activate the new pass.

The CM entered a date for will-call pick-up and said we need to tell them we are not activating the passes that day if we don't want the time frames to start.

Thanks so much to everyone that posted questions and answers!! :)

Dizneydaz
Here's what it says when you make your AP purchase (which I just did)

A new Annual Passport expires 1-year from the first date of entry into a Disneyland Resort Theme Park. A Renewed Annual Passport expires on the anniversary date of the original Passport

If you order it online as a new AP it won't be a renewal, as far as I can see. My DSis just bought her new AP and her existing expires on 6/23. So the next time she goes after 6/23 she will use her printed e-ticket for admission.

I did ask when I got my AP in Dec. 2010 and they told me that if it's within 30 days it will be a renewal but I think you can still buy a "new" one.

kailuagirl
Shucks!! I was just telling DH that DD and I should get AP's since we are going to go at least 2x this year and once without him. No way will we be able to get them now. So sad :( That is a huge and I mean huge price increase. That's really crazy.

MommyLove
05-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Oh, and thank you Mary from Mousesavers for all your awesome help and info. Made a crazy situation manageable and helped me figure out what to do!! :thumbsup2

GrandBob
05-19-2012, 02:18 PM
it still stings!

I think you misspelled that. You did want it to end with a 'k', right? :rotfl2:

Sherry E
05-19-2012, 02:30 PM
...I hear you, Sherry. We are going on year 3 of what I had hoped would be an annual Christmas Disney trip, but these prices are just getting out of hand. :sad:

That's right, NewbieMouse - this will already be your 3rd holiday trip in a row (I still remember when you did your first DLR Christmas season trip!)!

And that's the thing - once people visit DLR during the holidays for the first time, often they want to make it a tradition (as I have done) and go every year, because it's so wonderful and special. That tradition is difficult to keep up with the prices the way they are!

For me, I always have a trip to Goofy's Kitchen worked somewhere into my DLR trip (on the last trip there were two trips to Goofy's but another DIS'er was kind enough to treat me to one of those meals), as well as at least one meal at Storytellers and usually Carnation Cafe (when it was open). In other words, we do mostly table service meals (only a random counter service meal here and there). The Premium AP's 15% discount comes in really handy for those meals. Somehow the 10% discount that comes with a Deluxe just doesn't seem all that helpful! I know it's only a 5% difference, but still, every little bit counts.

mvf-m11c
05-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Oh, and another thing - for these kinds of prices, DLR had better go back to sticking a giant candy corn or two in DCA during Halloween Time!:rotfl: DCA needs to be included in the Halloween festivities once again. DLR had also better not remove another single thing from the New Orleans Square holiday decorations, as they seem to do every year. And for the love of everything holy, I hope they give us back our old ToonTown Christmas trees and get rid of the hideous plastic monstrosities that were there last year.

I agree with you Sherry that the DLR better deck out the resort with more decorations for the Halloween and Christmas season this year and don't cut back after the price increase. The last few years DL have been cutting back on the decorations and would be nice to see NOS and TT with there original decorations. The price increase this year is just crazy and I do feel better that I renewed my AP yesterday before the price increase tomorrow.

mybestieismickey
05-19-2012, 02:39 PM
So lame. Glad we got our APs in April, but I think this may be the last year for us for awhile. And we only have 2 passes to worry about paying for. I really feel for larger families.

The sad thing is that DH and I are exactly the types of tourists that DLR may be trying to attract. We visit only 2-3 times per year from out of state, eat nearly every meal in the parks, hotels, or DTD, and can't resist buying at least a little something each time. Why not, right? With the AP we get a discount. No matter that I already have a closet full of Disney tees and more mouse ears than any one person can justify. Heck, we don't even ride all that many rides when we are there.

Maybe I will be better disciplined in July and save the spending money for an extra trip before the year is up. Get that per park day cost down as low as I can :thumbsup2

ladeeesquire
05-19-2012, 02:58 PM
The price increase is making my premier passes we bought last year for 750 (or was it 780??) look like a bargain!

papamouse1
05-19-2012, 03:03 PM

:thumbsup2 Makes sense...

rosie2283
05-19-2012, 03:41 PM
So I am relatively new to the whole "Disney Pass" thing. We are making our second annual trip this November to Disneyland after falling in love with it last October.

I was going to purchase 6 day parkhoppers as I did last time and add days to it this year as we are going for a longer period of time. With them discontinuing the 6 day parkhoppers, are we still able to purchase extra days on the 5 day? Am I correct when I thought I read that it is $5 each extra day? I semi-looked at the annual passports but being from out of the country it will not pay for us to have them.

TYIA!!

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/lhd77kwm3tes90l1.png (http://distickers.com/ticker/)

MommyLove
05-19-2012, 03:48 PM
So... I purchased the AP vouchers online an hour ago. I see via my online banking that the charge has hit the account. But no email from Disney yet. Not worried... just wanted to give an update.

rosie2283
05-19-2012, 03:54 PM
So I just check flightcentre.ca and they are still offering up to 8-day parkhoppers for $234/$215 with pricing valid until May 22, 2012. Now just to wait and see if they still will offer that many days and how much of a jump the prices are going to take!!

OnTheRoadAgain
05-19-2012, 03:56 PM
So... I purchased the AP vouchers an hour ago. I see via my online banking that the charge has hit the account. But no email from Disney yet. Not worried... just wanted to give an update.
I bought PHs about 1/2 hr ago with a gift card. Balance on the card has gone down, but no tickets have shown up. I assume they are busy processing all of the orders, but the email said they would show up within minutes.

I am wondering how long I need to wait until I call customer service. Is anyone in the same boat as me since last night? How long did it take?

Astylla
05-19-2012, 04:03 PM
I bought PHs about 1/2 ago with a gift card. Balance on the card has gone down, but no tickets have shown up. I assume they are busy processing all of the orders, but the email said they would show up within minutes.

I am wondering how long I need to wait until I call customer service. Is anyone in the same boat as me since last night? How long did it take?

When we ordered ours last month - it took about half an hour to arrive via email also. With the news of the increase I wouldn't be surprised if there is a flood of orders causing some backup. I would give it a reasonable amount of time to process - say 24 hours before really worrying. That's just my opinion however :)

cpster
05-19-2012, 04:06 PM
So... I purchased the AP vouchers online an hour ago. I see via my online banking that the charge has hit the account. But no email from Disney yet. Not worried... just wanted to give an update.

I purchased an AP gift voucher this morning maybe around 10:30 am and just noticed that the e-ticket has finally shown up in my email. I was really worried because my order confirmation page went blank before I even had a chance to jot down the confirmation number. When I did online chat, the CM said that it could take up to 2 hours. I'm not sure if mine made it under the 2 hour mark. Also, it has an expiration date of 12/31/2012 in case anyone is wondering.

OnTheRoadAgain
05-19-2012, 04:07 PM
When we ordered ours last month - it took about half an hour to arrive via email also. With the news of the increase I wouldn't be surprised if there is a flood of orders causing some backup. I would give it a reasonable amount of time to process - say 24 hours before really worrying. That's just my opinion however :)
I can do that. Glad I am not in a rush... like at a hotel or home in So Cal, trying to save money online and wanting to go in the next 24 hours!

OnTheRoadAgain
05-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I purchased an AP gift voucher this morning maybe around 10:30 am and just noticed that the e-ticket has finally shown up in my email. I was really worried because my order confirmation page went blank before I even had a chance to jot down the confirmation number. When I did online chat, the CM said that it could take up to 2 hours. I'm not sure if mine made it under the 2 hour mark. Also, it has an expiration date of 12/31/2012 in case anyone is wondering.
Thanks for the info.

Astylla
05-19-2012, 04:16 PM
With all the talk of the increases and the "is it worth it" back and forth I just wanted to add my personal opinion. Even with the price hike , to DH and I , yes it would be worth it. We love Disney - and all things Disney and since we do live in California it makes it feasible to enjoy the parks on a regular basis. I realize that not everyone has such a luxury and even so we live 6 hours away so it's not just a day trip for us either. What it comes down to for us , personally is what we get out of those Annual Passes. Some people like to do other types of activities - we love Disney and we are in no way rich and we have everyday struggles too like most others , but for us it's one of those things we treat ourselves to because we only live once and we want to enjoy it as much as possible. The monthly payment options definitely helps us out obviously but even when we didn't have AP's we made yearly trips to DL and never thought twice about the prices.

The reality is as much as it may not be pleasant , is that it is still a business and with that comes costs to be covered. That could be one of many reasons for an increase and yes while unfortunate it is necessary. Was the increase too much ? Maybe. Maybe not. It comes down to each person individually to determine if it's worth it to them. I know it probably sounds "easy" for me to say such as we do not have a family to incur extra costs and every situation differs obviously. I just hope people can still enjoy themselves regardless if they go once a year or multiple times.

Kittyskyfish
05-19-2012, 04:16 PM
I bought PHs about 1/2 ago with a gift card. Balance on the card has gone down, but no tickets have shown up. I assume they are busy processing all of the orders, but the email said they would show up within minutes.

I posted on another thread about this issue. Last night I purchased etickets and received a confirmation email but no ticket email (the email containing the .pdf etickets) arrived yet.

The same thing happened back in February - the confirmation email came but no etickets. At that time, I called Ticket Inquiries and the service rep told me they were having problems with some of their emails (containing .pdf files - meaning, the emails that contain etickets) disappearing if they were sent to ATT accounts. It seems that ATT's filtering system considers the email unsolicited and potentially harmful because it contains a .pdf file, therefore ATT blocks the email. In my case, it never even showed up in my spam folder. (I wish ATT could do the same for all those Cialis and Viagra emails...:confused3)

What I had to do back in February (and again this next trip...*grumble grumble*...) is to take my purchase confirmation email, my photo ID, and the credit card used to purchase the tickets and go to the ticket window to get my park passes. An extra step but be assured if you paid for it, you'll get your passes. It'll either eventually show up in your email system or you'll pick them up at the ticket window by the main gates. :)

arthur06
05-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Reading these boards cost me $900 this weekend.

Just bought our 5 day hoppers for our November trip.

Was hoping to buy 2 this month and 2 next month with a couple of bonus checks, but the price increase moved up the purchase.

Now we have the Grand Cal booked for the back half of the week and the hoppers bought. Just need to figure out where we want to be the first half of the week and SW to release there November travel schedule.

abouley
05-19-2012, 04:23 PM
I just purchased our annual passes and decided to go with Premium because I was afraid we wouldn't be able to get in the day I planned to visit for the first time since it's a blocked out day. These two items were taken from the terms and conditions and I think answered the two questions in my mind:

6.Each Disney's eTicket printed confirmation allows one entry at a DisneylandŽ Resort theme park turnstile to allow the exchange for an Annual Passport on the same day as entry . Present the standard DisneylandŽ Resort ticket you will receive at the turnstile with valid photo ID for processing at the Annual Passport Processing Center located in DisneylandŽ Park. Disney is not responsible for any loss or inconvenience caused by computer error, or unauthorized duplication or sale of Disney's eTickets. In the event that duplicate Disney's eTickets are presented for theme park admission, DisneylandŽ Resort reserves the right to refuse entry.

#6 to me suggests that I would have been fine having my first visit be on a blocked out day.

Twinkle Lights
05-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Ok, I read this entire thread and I still don't see the straight-up, no-nonsense answer to this question:

What is the difference between buying a deluxe AP online vs. buying a deluxe AP gift voucher online?

As far as I can see, they both have to be redeemed/activated by 12/31/12 (the voucher does NOT give you 1 year from purchase to activate). And both give you access to DL for 1 year from date of entry.

I have a Premier pass right now that expires 12/3/12. I need to buy a deluxe DL AP, which I am going to hold onto until mid December to activate.

Is there any actual difference for me in buying the AP vs. Voucher online? The only thing I read is that some people are experiencing glitches in purchasing the AP's which cause their purchase date to be their activation date. So in that case, the voucher sounds like a safer bet.

FoodLover
05-19-2012, 04:32 PM
6.Each Disney's eTicket printed confirmation allows one entry at a DisneylandŽ Resort theme park turnstile to allow the exchange for an Annual Passport on the same day as entry . Present the standard DisneylandŽ Resort ticket you will receive at the turnstile with valid photo ID for processing at the Annual Passport Processing Center located in DisneylandŽ Park.[/I][/I]

#6 to me suggests that I would have been fine having my first visit be on a blocked out day.

Possibly, but the system doesn't work the way it's laid out in #6 anymore. You don't go to an AP Processing Center. Based on my most recent experience (and if it has changed again, I'm sure someone will correct me), you give them your voucher at the gate and they give you an AP. If you don't already have a photo in the system, you then proceed to find a PhotoPass photographer who will take your photo and scan your new AP to associate the two. So that whole section is now outdated.

Typical of Disney to make everything as confusing as possible!

Frankly, no one really knows whether you can redeem an AP voucher on a blockout day. There may not even be a policy on it. It's entirely possible it's all at the whim of the CM working the gate that day.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

ultimate_ed
05-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Saw this hit the DIS Facebook feed earlier today and jumped. Needed three 5 day hopper adult passes and one child pass for our trip in August. I had been holding off on the purchase, but this warning pushed me to act.

So, thanks to the DIS, it looks like I avoided about a $170 surprise addition to my vacation budget for the summer. Although it may prove somewhat less if the Disneyland website keeps up the $20 discount for online ticket purchases, but there's no guarantee that will still be in place tomorrow.

I'm actually rather surprised that the effective date for this change was such that we actually had time to act on it. Was this a leak that made it's way out early, or doe Disney usually work their price increase notices this way?

ArchOwl
05-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Saw this hit the DIS Facebook feed earlier today and jumped. Needed three 5 day hopper adult passes and one child pass for our trip in August. I had been holding off on the purchase, but this warning pushed me to act.

So, thanks to the DIS, it looks like I avoided about a $170 surprise addition to my vacation budget for the summer. Although it may prove somewhat less if the Disneyland website keeps up the $20 discount for online ticket purchases, but there's no guarantee that will still be in place tomorrow.

I'm actually rather surprised that the effective date for this change was such that we actually had time to act on it. Was this a leak that made it's way out early, or doe Disney usually work their price increase notices this way?

There is normally a day and a half notice, so this is typical. Glad you saved money! :)

2boysmom1998
05-19-2012, 04:56 PM
I bought my 2 day park hopper in February through Travelocity. I just checked and they are showing up at the old prices.

Big jump all around on tickets this year, wow!

MAH4546
05-19-2012, 04:59 PM
The prices go up May 20th, but how long are tickets at the old prices vaild until? We're going in 2013...can I buy tickets today at the current lower price, and still use them in 2013?

No. Some people are erroneously posting that the vouchers expire one year from purchase. Vouchers expire December 31 2012. The value of the voucher doesn't expire, but if you redeem it after December 31, you need to pay the price difference.

sierranevada
05-19-2012, 05:07 PM
I am all set but a friend was wondering if she purchased the deluxe ap online today and did the monthly payment plan, is the first day of her pass till the first time she goes to the park and activates it at the gate?

The voucher does not give you the monthly payment option.

papamouse1
05-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Reading these boards cost me $900 this weekend.

Just bought our 5 day hoppers for our November trip.

Was hoping to buy 2 this month and 2 next month with a couple of bonus checks, but the price increase moved up the purchase.

Now we have the Grand Cal booked for the back half of the week and the hoppers bought. Just need to figure out where we want to be the first half of the week and SW to release there November travel schedule.

Sweet! What days are you going?

I have had the similar experience today..:) We are booked for Thanksgiving week with 2 days at GC and then 3 at DLH... then driving down to San Diego for Thanksgiving night. Never stayed at DLH so can't wait to see it after all the remodel. We decided to do the CityPass and spend one day at SeaWorld and one at Universal this trip. I went ahead and bought my CityPasses because I figure this price increase will cause them to increase their passes soon as well, so I feel your pain! There went $1100 that I wasn't planning on spending yet :cool2:

limace
05-19-2012, 05:18 PM
With all the talk of the increases and the "is it worth it" back and forth I just wanted to add my personal opinion. Even with the price hike , to DH and I , yes it would be worth it. We love Disney - and all things Disney and since we do live in California it makes it feasible to enjoy the parks on a regular basis. I realize that not everyone has such a luxury and even so we live 6 hours away so it's not just a day trip for us either. What it comes down to for us , personally is what we get out of those Annual Passes. Some people like to do other types of activities - we love Disney and we are in no way rich and we have everyday struggles too like most others , but for us it's one of those things we treat ourselves to because we only live once and we want to enjoy it as much as possible. The monthly payment options definitely helps us out obviously but even when we didn't have AP's we made yearly trips to DL and never thought twice about the prices.

The reality is as much as it may not be pleasant , is that it is still a business and with that comes costs to be covered. That could be one of many reasons for an increase and yes while unfortunate it is necessary. Was the increase too much ? Maybe. Maybe not. It comes down to each person individually to determine if it's worth it to them. I know it probably sounds "easy" for me to say such as we do not have a family to incur extra costs and every situation differs obviously. I just hope people can still enjoy themselves regardless if they go once a year or multiple times.

Sure, Disney can implement significant price increases every year and probably still get huge numbers of folks to come. Should they? I guess it depends on who you think their primary responsibility is to. I think Walt started the parks to both make money, and to share a dream he had, and I'm not sure he would have wanted to see it become a dream out of reach for many families-a dream come true only for Disney stockholders.

Disney's profits were up 21% last quarter (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/08/entertainment-us-disney-idUSBRE84718B20120508) DESPITE the huge bath they took on John Carter. This isn't a company struggling to get by in a recession; it's not a company feeling the pain that most American families are feeling. It's a company that seems to be taking every opportunity over the last few years to squeeze any possible nickel out of its fans-and Disney gets away with it because its product is so unique and its fans (myself included) are so crazy about it that, while we might ***** and moan, we keep paying.

Just my two cents, of course, but man, I've been listening to old podcasts from 2006 on, and it seems like this is a common theme every year. Disney continually raises their prices more than inflation and cuts back on amenities (like the holiday decorations).

arthur06
05-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Sweet! What days are you going?

I have had the similar experience today..:) We are booked for Thanksgiving week with 2 days at GC and then 3 at DLH... then driving down to San Diego for Thanksgiving night. Never stayed at DLH so can't wait to see it after all the remodel. We decided to do the CityPass and spend one day at SeaWorld and one at Universal this trip. I went ahead and bought my CityPasses because I figure this price increase will cause them to increase their passes soon as well, so I feel your pain! There went $1100 that I wasn't planning on spending yet :cool2:

We are going November 3-10.

We are booked at Villas at Grand Californian starting on the 7th. I figure we will be at DLR 4 days. I bought the 5 day hopper, just in case we decided to add a day at the end or just are antsy to go.

I am just trying to decide what we want to do the 3rd to the 6th? that seems to be the toughest call.

Karenann*
05-19-2012, 05:24 PM
For folks with Costco and WDT packages: I asked on line and chatted with Amy who said a deposit on a package would keep the pkg price at time of booking with no increase as the prices go up tomorrow.
When I looked at the conditions on the pkg it states package prices subject to change until paid in full. I called and confirmed with Erica who talked to a supervisor the unpaid pkg prices would go up when the prices increase tomorrow.
I paid off my 2 packages to be sure. 7 six day tickets for July so I'm not going to chance it.

THANK YOU DISBOARDS and Mary form MOUSESAVERS!!!!!

jilld11
05-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Don't know if this is the same in the states, but in Canada when you book with a travel agent, you only have to pay the 10% deposit and the rest needs to be paid 45 days in advance. I am a travel agent, but also planning to go in September w/4 day park hoppers, so I put my 10% down today (with a tour operator, not direct with disney) and my price is now locked in and I don't have to pay the full until August. This does have to be done today though, before the price increase.
Just a suggestion for my Canadian friends:)

Dizneydaz
05-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I am all set but a friend was wondering if she purchased the deluxe ap online today and did the monthly payment plan, is the first day of her pass till the first time she goes to the park and activates it at the gate?

Yes. It starts the first day it's used. I bought my Deluxe AP earlier today, using the monthly plan, and it's no different.

I am still waiting for my e-tix to show up in my email acct. It's been about 3 hours so far.

papamouse1
05-19-2012, 05:41 PM
We are going November 3-10.

We are booked at Villas at Grand Californian starting on the 7th. I figure we will be at DLR 4 days. I bought the 5 day hopper, just in case we decided to add a day at the end or just are antsy to go.

I am just trying to decide what we want to do the 3rd to the 6th? that seems to be the toughest call.

If you are looking to book on DVC points, then the choice is obviously narrow. We have stayed at Paradise Pier and it is the lowest points of the Hotels, and honestly it is not that bad. You have to cross a major street to get to the parks but it is fairly close. You still get to use the private back entrance to DCA through the GC resort which is right across the street. The DLH is definitely more points, but much more themed and immersive like what you experience at WDW.
Hope you have a blast wherever you decide to stay :)

tinkermomma
05-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate having you guys for the heads up and answering questions.

TheZue
05-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Thank you for posting this. We ordered our lone AP for the discount & our three hoppers for our September trip. Still waiting on the email.

sierranevada
05-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Yes. It starts the first day it's used. I bought my Deluxe AP earlier today, using the monthly plan, and it's no different.

I am still waiting for my e-tix to show up in my email acct. It's been about 3 hours so far.

Thanks for the info.

I am going on a three hour wait also! Have a feeling their website is very back logged!

nunzia
05-19-2012, 06:15 PM
I really think your example illustrates the whole point of these increases. Disney is raising prices partially to keep down the demand. DLR is already pushing the limit on crowds, and Cars Land is going to really test the capacity.

So if you go less often but pay more for each visit, that accomplishes Disney's goals... it keeps the crowds manageable and increases profits. Frustrating, but the parks only have so much capacity and it seems like the demand is practically limitless!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

I agree..and really, it doesn't bother me..Disney is a business and was when Walt was alive and I STILL say for what you get ..the hours the parks are open..all the attractions, the shows, parades, beautiful surroundings, etc., it is really not a bad price to pay. That park hopper or AP is now getting us a basically new theme park with new longer hours, brand new entire LAND and shiny new entertainment as well. So I just paid $246 for DH to go for 5 days so that is under $50 a day..where else can you get all that for under $50 for what could be 12+ hours of fun? This doesn't bother me at all.

curiouslittleoyster
05-19-2012, 06:53 PM
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for starting this thread. Unfortunately, pass expired in September so I was not able to renew but I used Mary from Mousesaver's tip(Thank you, Mary!!) and bought 2 Gift Vouchers for APs for DH and I. We will be redeeming them before the end of this year. I'm still surprised at the increase. From $499 to $649! Wow!

cyclenut
05-19-2012, 06:53 PM
DW and I went down in person this afternoon and renewed our Premium passes. We skipped the price increase last year by buying early as well, which means we just delayed the inevitable. As we were buying this year I was commenting that we won't be renewing again next year and DW just looked at me like I was nuts or something.

Kids are older now and on their own to get passes, or not.

Prices all around us are increasing and Disney is no exception, but nobody I have talked to ever expected such a large increase.

arthur06
05-19-2012, 07:14 PM
If you are looking to book on DVC points, then the choice is obviously narrow. We have stayed at Paradise Pier and it is the lowest points of the Hotels, and honestly it is not that bad. You have to cross a major street to get to the parks but it is fairly close. You still get to use the private back entrance to DCA through the GC resort which is right across the street. The DLH is definitely more points, but much more themed and immersive like what you experience at WDW.
Hope you have a blast wherever you decide to stay :)

We are not looking at staying at PPH or DLH.

We want to do MT wax museum, walk of fame, Hollywood and some other things that are a bit farther from Disney. We just plan on staying somewhere closer to those attractions.

DebbieB
05-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Ordered a deluxe AP around 2:30pm eastern, got confirmation around 6:30pm.

MrsPinup
05-19-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't think this is true....After reading through the thread, both start on the first day of entry. :goodvibes

I purchased passes online NOT vouchers. On my confirmation email AND on each ticket that we turn in to exchange for our APs, it says "expires one year after FIRST ENTRY". It doesn't say 1 year from date of purchase.
Whew!

I agree...while I love the thought of fewer people in the parks, I do not want to be one of them. Add rising gas prices to the list and I may have to cancel some of my SoCal trips (or get my friends down there to let me bunk with them for a few nights :scratchin )

I just got off the phone with guest services for AP. I asked if I can renew my pass before the prices go up. I checked online and it is too early to renew. Lily (cast member) stated that as long as I renew before July 1st I will be able to lock in the current price without the increase.

You can renew your AP 40 days prior to expiring. Dang, I wish I saw this sooner! I expire 7/24.

I bought PHs about 1/2 hr ago with a gift card. Balance on the card has gone down, but no tickets have shown up. I assume they are busy processing all of the orders, but the email said they would show up within minutes.

I am wondering how long I need to wait until I call customer service. Is anyone in the same boat as me since last night? How long did it take? I am on the phone waiting right now, but they have a message playing when you first call, it basically says that due to high sales, wait times for emails are at 3 hours.

Luv ya Bridget! :lovestruc I decided to go for the Premium and I set up monthly payment options. Although, I am debating on whether or not to start using it when I go in late June just to have the extra discount, or use my DAP since it is valid through July. Decisions, decisions.

With the massive price hikes, I will never get the premium again and possibly not a DAP either. We may just have to settle coming once every few years after this new pass expires. :sad:

Twinkle Lights
05-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Called customer service to use multiple gift cards to buy our AP vouchers and they are now on callback! They couldn't even put me on hold! I tried to verify that they would call back TODAY but the CM would only tell me they would call back as soon as they could! Ack! :scared1:

They are definitely swamped with orders!! :scared:

sierranevada
05-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Luv ya Bridget! :lovestruc I decided to go for the Premium and I set up monthly payment options.

Back at ya sweetie! :wave: Wanted to make sure I had the correct info to give you!

MrsPinup
05-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I just spoke with a CM who also confirmed that it is the first day of ENTRY for when the new pass starts. Payments start right away, but not the ticket countdown :)

starshine514
05-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I just bought vouchers for my family and my parents. I guess we're in for one more year! I saved my order confirmation page as a PDF, since we don't plan on heading back until September, I can wait for the email...as long as it arrives at some point.

Ingrid0382
05-19-2012, 10:05 PM
I just frantically read through this entire thread and didn't see an answer to my question, but if I just missed it, I apologize.

We are visiting the parks next week and were planning on upgrading our SoCal Deluxe APs to Deluxe APs when we arrived. I just found out about the price increase and tried calling the AP line, but they're closed. The web site says upgrades cannot be done online. I'm just sick over the fact that it was going to cost us $330 dollars to upgrade all of our passes, but with the price hike it's going to cost $600.

Is there any way they'll honor the current prices, or is this a lost cause? I wanted to cry when I reached the recording saying the lines were closed. Our passes don't expire until December 19th, so I can't just renew.

I'm so frustrated and wish I had been more on top of this information. I feel like an idiot. It actually would have been worth driving to the parks today to take care of this at the ticket window if I had known sooner :(

disneymom0104
05-19-2012, 10:15 PM
So thankful for this thread! I just purchased our 6 day park hoppers for our Dec. trip. I am also incredibly sad they are potentially discontinuing the 6 day park hopper! Hopefully you will be able to add the 6th day to a 5 day ticket, but that could add more stress to the vacation until you get there and know for sure! I spent $984 for 3 adults and 1 child. I decided to just spend $12 more than aRes and get them from the DL website.

NStramler
05-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I just frantically read through this entire thread and didn't see an answer to my question, but if I just missed it, I apologize.

We are visiting the parks next week and were planning on upgrading our SoCal Deluxe APs to Deluxe APs when we arrived. I just found out about the price increase and tried calling the AP line, but they're closed. The web site says upgrades cannot be done online. I'm just sick over the fact that it was going to cost us $330 dollars to upgrade all of our passes, but with the price hike it's going to cost $600.

Is there any way they'll honor the current prices, or is this a lost cause? I wanted to cry when I reached the recording saying the lines were closed. Our passes don't expire until December 19th, so I can't just renew.

I'm so frustrated and wish I had been more on top of this information. I feel like an idiot. It actually would have been worth driving to the parks today to take care of this at the ticket window if I had known sooner :(

I do not think they will honor these prices after today.. Is it too late to take a drive to the park tonight and do it real fast? that is a lot of money... Did you try this number? 714-781-4400? That is the number I got them at last night.

BayAreaMom
05-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Ok, I read this entire thread and I still don't see the straight-up, no-nonsense answer to this question:

What is the difference between buying a deluxe AP online vs. buying a deluxe AP gift voucher online?

As far as I can see, they both have to be redeemed/activated by 12/31/12 (the voucher does NOT give you 1 year from purchase to activate). And both give you access to DL for 1 year from date of entry.

I have a Premier pass right now that expires 12/3/12. I need to buy a deluxe DL AP, which I am going to hold onto until mid December to activate.

Is there any actual difference for me in buying the AP vs. Voucher online? THhe only thing I read is that some people are experiencing glitches in purchasing the AP's which cause their purchase date to be their activation date. So in that case, the voucher sounds like a safer bet.

I really wish I knew the answer...
My AP expires 6/6/12 and I do not want to "renew". I want a new AP in nov.
I was just too worried about the system treating my AP purchase today as an auto-renewal that i just bought the "gift vouchers". I figure this is the safest approach.

pixiewings71
05-19-2012, 10:18 PM

Depending on your situation and location I would just GO NOW and upgrade!! Otherwise you will have to pay the $600 instead of the $330. I had planned on buying 5 day hoppers for DD15 and myself and upgrading with the monthly payments when we got to the parks, but prices went up so much that it just didn't make sense to do it that way. Good luck!!

Well, I was going to wait and get parkhoppers and then upgrade, but this price increase pushed my hand....so today I ordered a DAP and PAP for DD15 and myself......I hope I am able to get my moneys worth out of them.....

I can't believe prices are so out of hand!! I won't be able to afford APs after this I suspect. :(

Thank You to everyone who posted this here and on FB, without you guys our trip would have really sucked.
Now I just have to wait for the email.......

Ingrid0382
05-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

We're 4.5 hours away from the parks and probably wouldn't make it after packing up a baby and putting gas in the car. I did try that number, they closed seven minutes before I called.

Thanks again, guys. My heart is pretty heavy knowing Disney is out of the question for us this summer at this point.

Girimama33
05-19-2012, 10:25 PM
What I am curious about is what is going to happen to the AP discounts that expire after 12/31 (merchandise mainly). It would be great if they increase it, but I doubt that will be the case. I hope they don't get rid of it all together to thin the amount of AP's.

ArchOwl
05-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

We're 4.5 hours away from the parks and probably wouldn't make it after packing up a baby and putting gas in the car. I did try that number, they closed seven minutes before I called.

Thanks again, guys. My heart is pretty heavy knowing Disney is out of the question for us this summer at this point.

I am sorry it won't work out for you. Please remember that if you are a CA resident, you can do the payment plan. Also, the day you upgrade you can enter the parks even if it is a block out day.

ArchOwl
05-19-2012, 10:34 PM
What I am curious about is what is going to happen to the AP discounts that expire after 12/31 (merchandise mainly). It would be great if they increase it, but I doubt that will be the case. I hope they don't get rid of it all together to thin the amount of AP's.

I don't know for sure, but the Disney Parks Blog announcement mentioned the discounts and said they added value to the pass. If they took away a perk and raised prices, that might be harder for some to swallow.

Ingrid0382
05-19-2012, 10:35 PM
I am sorry it won't work out for you. Please remember that if you are a CA resident, you can do the payment plan. Also, the day you upgrade you can enter the parks even if it is a block out day.

Thanks, Arch Owl :)

We're on the payment plan already. My understanding was that if we decide to upgrade, we have to pay the full price difference on the day we upgrade and our monthly payments still stay the same. So no matter what, we still have to pay $600 for the upgrade.

I'm already putting the down payment on passes to activate when ours expire in December. I'm grateful for being able to at least do that.

OnTheRoadAgain
05-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Ingrid,
Post your problem as a brand new thread. I would bet that a lot of DIS experts are not keeping up with this VERY long and somewhat redundant thread. I think there is something you can do tonight, I just don't know what.

longtimedisneylurker
05-19-2012, 10:42 PM

The merchandise discount started back in 2009 (I think) and has been extended and extended. You comment about it expiring 12/31; a few months ago the expected expiration was 5/31. Before they this 10% off discount, there was only a 10% discount for premium card holders (now 20%) and no merchandise discounts for any others. With the way they have raised prices across the board on merchandise and now with the huge AP price increases and with how long these merchandise discounts have stuck around and passholders have come to expect them, I wouldn't be surprised if the merchandise discounts just stick around indefinitely as "added value" for the passes. They can always just raise the base price of the merchandise and pad their profits that way. People will still buy since they're getting a "discount".

ArchOwl
05-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks, Arch Owl :)

We're on the payment plan already. My understanding was that if we decide to upgrade, we have to pay the full price difference on the day we upgrade and our monthly payments still stay the same. So no matter what, we still have to pay $600 for the upgrade.

I'm already putting the down payment on passes to activate when ours expire in December. I'm grateful for being able to at least do that.

Oh, I see. Yes, you are correct. To upgrade you would pay the difference upfront. You can't add the difference to the existing payments. I am sorry. I don't see a way around it. You can't buy a voucher or do anything online. I hope something works out for you and you are able to make it over the summer. :)

abbie13_15
05-19-2012, 10:46 PM
We already have our 6 day pass but was going to try to add a 7th day at the ticket counter. Should we count this out. Need to start planning out our days.

Ingrid0382
05-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks again, guys :lovestruc

Post your problem as a brand new thread. I would bet that a lot of DIS experts are not keeping up with this VERY long and somewhat redundant thread. I think there is something you can do tonight, I just don't know what.

I feel awful starting another thread, I'm sure everyone is totally spent (no pun intended) on this topic. I'm guessing it's safe to assume I missed out and we'll be looking for other things to do this summer, unfortunately.

Seriously, you can't beat this place when it comes to people being helpful and supportive. Thank you all so much!

ArchOwl
05-19-2012, 10:52 PM
We already have our 6 day pass but was going to try to add a 7th day at the ticket counter. Should we count this out. Need to start planning out our days.

I wouldn't count it out. It is worth asking about. Several people have reported getting pixie dust and not having to pay the difference between the price they paid and gate price. I would ask. Have fun! :thumbsup2

disneymom0104
05-19-2012, 10:53 PM

I do not know for sure (hopefully the experts will weigh in)- but my guess is that if you added a 7th day, you would pay the difference in the ticket you have and the new ticket prices and then pay the 7th day on top of that.

We were debating adding a 7th day to our trip in Dec, but after seeing the new prices, there is no way we will, if what I posted above is correct.

disneydenisel
05-19-2012, 10:54 PM

I feel your pain :sad:. I thought for sure that they would wait until June sometime to increase prices, and that I would have more time to wrap my head around whether to buy APs for my family, hoppers, renew my AP, etc. With the short notice, I decided at 1am this morning to upgrade my AP and buy hoppers for everyone else. I was hoping to buy hoppers and then upgrade to APs there if we thought we were going back for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but now the upgrade price when we get there in June will be out of the park outrageous, so no way.

I know that there is no way to upgrade a ticket online. All you could do is buy vouchers for new APs that you can use when your current ones expire on December 19. I read somewhere that the vouchers for APs are good for 12 months, but the one I bought last year read December 31, so I don't know for sure. I was angry then. I wanted to hold onto that voucher and use it in 2013, but I ended up using it earlier. If you are going back after your current APs expire and before the end of the year, then I would get AP vouchers. But somehow verify the expiration of the voucher.

Ugh! :(

longtimedisneylurker
05-19-2012, 11:05 PM
But somehow verify the expiration of the voucher.

Ugh! :(

The vouchers expire 12/31/12. Verified by phone with CM, experiences posted by others, and my own experience this morning.

azdisneylover
05-19-2012, 11:07 PM
I was shocked, and then cried because a I have had to change a trip 4 times, and now cancel indefinitely because of the price gouging Disney is doing. I thought maybe a few bucks increase on APs, since Disney has been raising prices yearly, but the gouging on both ticket and AP prices are nothing but greed kicking in. The economy is horrible and families that have been saving for one or more years to pay for a vacation, not to even mention to upgrade to APs to make it less expensive for another vacation, are now priced out of a Disney vacation all together. I am one of those people right now. I have sent Disney 2 emails and I will go to the Disney blog and voice my opinion there too. I am now looking at other places to spend our hard earned and saved money. Knotts Berry Farm is one of them. Shame on them for raising all tickets prices. If they truly wanted to limit APs then don't raise the price of regular admission. That is bad business. It may look good on their P$L with all the rush for AP and ticket sales, but in the long run, but it won't last.
Congrats to all who have managed to get locked in on current prices.

profa
05-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Thank you for this thread. I read this last night and purchased our 3 day park tix for the end of june today. This thread may have saved me $250! I also msged my friend going in July and she bought hers. We both purchased through entertainment.com and I have found them to have the best rates. 2 adults/ 3 kids not park hoppers - 980 w/ taxes and such.

mrsheppo
05-19-2012, 11:45 PM
I bit the bullet and ordered 4 day PH for our November trip. Saved about $120.

Pesky
05-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Given I'm not looking until next December, I definitely will be screwed by this price increase and likely next. Well, that may make the 3-day, 4 day or 5 day decision MUCH easier...:sad:

Part of me wonders if this isn't a bit of crowd control, kind of a way to keep the AP levels down a bit. An ultimately economically elitist way, but still a way and likely effective at that.:scratchin

starshine514
05-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Part of me wonders if this isn't a bit of crowd control, kind of a way to keep the AP levels down a bit. An ultimately economically elitist way, but still a way and likely effective at that.:scratchin

I believe that it is. We complain about how crowded the parks are, but if the parks are to be less crowded, they need to decrease demand by raising prices.

Our APs (our first ever) expired a couple of days ago; we just bought vouchers today that we'll activate in September. We're so happy to get another year, but this will likely be our last year with APs for quite a while.

AngieMouse86
05-20-2012, 12:44 AM
I had a question about upgrading to the Premier Pass (forgive me if it's been answered, I tried looking through all the posts already and calling Disneyland direct is just endless ringing).

My mom's pass expires in September and we're going to WDW in July. She had planned on upgrading her Premium pass to a Premier sometime before we leave (to take advantage of discounts and such).

Under the new ticketing prices, is the Premier pass being afforded the 'lock in' rate of $749 if you upgrade before July, thus being able to only pay the $250 difference or will she be paying the $350?

Thanks for any info!