PDA

View Full Version : When flying with a scooter.....?

PFW
05-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Have you ever taken a spare battery and how did you have to handle it? Was it stored with the scooter or were you allowed to take it onboard?

Disney4us2
05-17-2012, 11:31 PM
I flew with mine twice. Didn't bring a spare battery (don't have one). I gate checked the scooter. The battery went on with the scooter. Didn't have any battery problems. Just charged it up at night or when back in the room during the day.

Cheshire Figment
05-17-2012, 11:31 PM
I have never taken a spare battery. Especially since an ECV uses two batteries and both should be replaced at the same time. (Some, such as the Pride Go-Go have a battery pack with two batteries.)

I will drive mine to the gate, put the charging unit in the basket and remove the basket and put it in a tote bag and take in onboard. When I get to my destination I will put the basket back on and the charging unit (and its case) back in place and drive off.

nobodies36
05-18-2012, 09:09 AM
We have flown with a spare battery pack (infact I asked the question myself on here a few years back). We have flown with two ECVs (pride go gos) and a total of four battery packs and have had no issues. They were just taken with the ECVs. We have also flown with a connection and they give the ECV and the spare battery back for the connection (or you can have the who thing sent through as well) and obviously I fly internationally.

Hope this helps you and anyone else who was curious.

peemagg
05-18-2012, 09:23 AM
I have flown with mine on several trips now and I have never taken the battery off the scooter. I just gate check it with the scooter and it all comes back to me just the way I left it when I get to my destination. As long as your battery is a gel battery, there is no need to take it off the scooter. If it isn't a gel battery, then it does need some special handling, and the airline will want it removed. Most batteries now though are gel batteries for scooters.

I have never needed a spare battery. I take my charger with me and I don't leave the key with the airline. That goes with me. This way it can't be accidentally left on.

PFW
05-18-2012, 09:44 PM
My batteries are AGM Sealed lead battries. Yes, there are 2 that come in a battery box. I was considering getting a spare battery box w/ batteries for my trip. I have a Zip'r Scooter and the manual says it has a range of 10 miles. But, I'm on the heavy side so assume I would get less miles on a charge. If I do decide to get the spare I'll put it in a tote bag to be gate checked with the scooter.
I had already planned on having a tote bag handy to put the basket and charger in to take on the plane with me.
Thanks for everyone's advice :moped:

Buckimion
05-19-2012, 08:01 AM
My old Stuck Mini Beep (built like a '57 Buick) had a single lead acid battery that was placed inside a foam padded cardboard box. Here is both about to be loased. (That single battery would last an entire day at Disneyland.)

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx312/Buckimion/Disney/IMAG0019.jpg