PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Weekend, really busy?

nsiordia
05-17-2012, 12:23 PM
We've never gone during major holidays but got a great deal at HOJO for the Sunday before Memorial day so we will be there Sun/Mon.

Do you think it will be crazy?

nsiordia
05-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Anyone?

DizMe
05-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Sorry you're not getting any answers. I've not been to DLR on Memorial Day weekend in many years (pre-FP days!) so my answer is probably irrelevant. I did want to give you some sort of response and hopefully others with recent experience can chime in.

The crowds were so bad the Saturday I went that after spending a couple of hours just trying to force our way through the masses of people, my sister and I chose to give it up and we left.

I have no idea how things usually are now, but at that time, the DLR officially launched the summer hours that weekend and the crowds were intense--the worst I've ever seen in all the many many times I've been.

bumbershoot
05-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I have possibly outdated info. :) DS's birthday is often over that weekend, and we spent his 4th and 5th birthdays at Disneyland b/c it's so hard to have people attend a birthday party over that weekend!

Both times we arrived over the weekend and stayed through the week (we homeschool so we can go during "off" times). From what I read each time leading up to the weekend, and from what we experienced, it gets busier and busier approaching the weekend, it's busy on the weekend, and then the parks empty out as Monday goes on, as people catch their flights to get home before school starts again.

But...he's approaching 8 now, so it's not new info, and maybe vacation habits have changed.

longtimedisneylurker
05-17-2012, 06:10 PM
We last did Memorial Day weekend in 2008. The weather was very pleasant. We thought it just seemed like a typical busy weekend. Bear in mind, we usually go during spring break, Thanksgiving break, and summer. Memorial Day weekend reminded me of summer in terms of crowds and weather.

rtfelt
05-17-2012, 07:09 PM
I've never actually gone on Memorial day because we always have a church picnic on that day, but I have gone MANY times the Friday before. Generally the Friday before a Monday holiday is lighter than other Fridays. Some of the "lower" AP are blocked out, and many people from out of town for the holiday haven't arrived yet.

disneegrl4eva
05-17-2012, 07:56 PM
im thinking its going to be pretty bad...if you read on one of the threads here you will see people have been talking about grad nights and how the parks have been this past week...http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2926775..the further we get into the month, the more schools we are going to see participating. Add that with usual memorial day crowds and I think its safe to say its gonna be packed!!