PDA

View Full Version : Updated! Tell me about Cocina Cucamonga at DCA!

christinaspring
05-15-2012, 03:32 PM
5/16 Update: Tried it and we were very unimpressed. Didnt like the Monterey Tacos at all (the sauce had a very "strange" taste IMO. I really couldnt even eat the beef one (luckily DH didnt think it was THAT bad). And the citrus chicken was good, but considering the rice and beans were very "eh", the meal wasnt worth almost $14. I'd have tried it eventually cuz it was on my list, but we definitely wont be back!

Anyone eaten there before? How's the food? Prices? Atmosphere? Do they serve chips and salsa, alcohol? We're thinking about driving down for dinner after work tonight. Thanks in advance!

longtimedisneylurker
05-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Here's a menu:
http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_cuca.htm

Haven't tried this place myself yet. As for atmosphere, it's located in the same area as the Pacific Wharf Cafe and the rice bowl place. I believe there is also some sort of drink stand, but since I don't drink alcohol I've never paid attention to what is served there. These locations all share a large outdoor seating area. No indoor seating although some of the tables and chairs are under cover. The Mariachi Divas pass through and perform for the diners periodically, but that may only be during the daytime.

christinaspring
05-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh ok. So its counter service, not a sit down restaurant?

longtimedisneylurker
05-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh ok. So its counter service, not a sit down restaurant?

Correct.

ArchOwl
05-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Anyone eaten there before? How's the food? Prices? Atmosphere? Do they serve chips and salsa, alcohol? We're thinking about driving down for dinner after work tonight. Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't expect much. It is a window where you order food and then you find your own seating on Pacific Wharf. The food is barely passable Mexican, honestly you could find much better in almost any place in LA. There is beer available there and a margarita stand in the wharf area.

I think Mexican is one of the cuisines that Disney doesn't do a great job with. The Pacific Wharf Cafe is much better in my opinion, probably because the bread is fresh. I also prefer the Boardwalk Pasta place, you can watch them making your food and ask for fresh stuff.

I wouldn't make a special trip for Cocina Cucamonga.

Girimama33
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
DH and I ate there last month and really enjoyed it (for a CS spot). There was a beer and margarita stand close by too.

FourM's
05-15-2012, 04:07 PM
DH and I actually love the food there and we live in an area with a large hispanic population and with some wonderful Mexican restaurants. I would compare it to the food at Rancho Del Zocalo over in Disneyland. The tacos monterrey and citrus chicken are delicious with good sized prortions. Give it a try some time.

nannyz
05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Where I live we have access to superb, authentic Mexican food so I am probably not a good one to ask about this restaurant. But it's OK -- not bad. I much prefer Rancho del Zocalo for atmosphere.

pixiewings71
05-15-2012, 06:19 PM
We like it OK, we prefer Rancho Del Zocalo but Rancho Cucamonga is good, it's not great but it is good. There is a beer truck and a Margarita stand right next to it so you can get a drink while your food is being prepared. It is CS, and yes, the Mariachi Divas do walk around and perform, they are pretty fun to watch.

ImDMous
05-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Rancho Del Zocalo is definitely better for atmosphere. If you're looking for a good mexican sit down, we like going to the place in DTD, Tortilla Joe's. They have great margaritas and chips and salsa.

ladeeesquire
05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
We just ate there last month for the first time. I was unimpressed. The food was edible but not much more and I thought pretty pricey. Tortilla Joe's in DD is definitely tasty (for sure try the albondigas soup!) but expensive. I know its disney but its hard for me to pay $15 for a burrito. We've never gotten to Rancho del Zocalo. Its on my list of places to try though!

pixiewings71
05-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Tortilla Joe's not agree with my system, it makes me need to use the restroom multiple times the next few days.....I won't eat there again, we've tried twice and had the same negative results both times. the food was good, but the after effects were not!

taaren
05-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Near as I can tell its exactly the same food as Rancho Cucamonga, :confused3 just in DCA instead of DL. Decent food, portions definitely large enough to be split, but yes, extremely expensive 'cause its Disney. Oddly, for the last several trips, whenever we were thinking about eating there again it started raining and we ended up with the bread bowl from the faux-Fisherman's Wharf next door to warm up instead. :cold:

Beca
05-16-2012, 06:20 AM
How's the Asian food at the wharf? I've always wanted to try it.

Thanks!!
Beca

Elk Grove Chris
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
The Asian food is leaps and bounds better than the Mexican food. The Thai Coconut Curry is my favorite dish in all of CA.

ScooterL
05-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Unlike the previous poster, I don't like the Asian place at all - but I really enjoy the Chicken Tamales (with tomatillo sauce) at Cocina Cucamonga. Most of the Cocina menu is the same as Zocalo, but Cocina has the tamales and Zocalo has fish tacos and cheese enchiladas. And Zocalo has better atmosphere, but the ordering process at Cocina is less chaotic.

pixiewings71
05-16-2012, 01:07 PM
How's the Asian food at the wharf? I've always wanted to try it.

Thanks!!
Beca

I very much like the Asian food at the Luckey Fortune Cookery. I like the chicken or beef with teriyaki sauce and I usually get an order of Edamame as well.

Beca
05-16-2012, 01:13 PM
I very much like the Asian food at the Luckey Fortune Cookery. I like the chicken or beef with teriyaki sauce and I usually get an order of Edamame as well.

Thanks!! I have always wanted to try it, but just never seemed to be able to do so (WOC dinner packages or character meals have always taken our "meal" slot). We are "slummin'" this trip (NO ressies for sit down, although we will probably do Storytellers once or twice, LOL!!), so I will DEFINITELY give it a try!!

Thanks so much!!!
Beca

longtimedisneylurker
05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
5/16 Update: Tried it and we were very unimpressed. Didnt like the Monterey Tacos at all (the sauce had a very "strange" taste IMO. I really couldnt even eat the beef one (luckily DH didnt think it was THAT bad). And the citrus chicken was good, but considering the rice and beans were very "eh", the meal wasnt worth almost $14. I'd have tried it eventually cuz it was on my list, but we definitely wont be back!

Thanks for the update. This is actually about how we felt about Rancho del Zocalo the time we tried it, and I suspected this place was just more of the same.