PDA

View Full Version : 5/15/12 - Crowds are Heavy; Lines are Long

Mugglemama
05-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I am surprised by how crowded it is. It's definitely sapping some of the fun out of this visit. Mon-Thurs last week were crowded, but it wasn't super stressful because lines were still short. Not so this week. It's more crowded than it was during my July 2010 visit. So much for careful planning...I thought with everyone's Spring Breaks finished, and end-of-schoolyear tests and obligations, that most people wouldn't be pulling their kids out of school for DLR. Evidently, my logic was seriously flawed, lol.

Our entire group has had their fill of rude, pushy, inconsiderate people (seems to be terribly abundant on this visit). We plan to cut out a day early and go to Six Flags instead.

DisneyMomma81
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Bummer, I'm sorry to hear things are so bad.

HappyHaunt
05-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Aw I'm sorry it's so crowded. It wasn't bad the first week of May when we were there. Maybe more people are trying to beat out the crowds in mid June with the opening of Cars.

blackjackdelta
05-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for your update.

Jack

Priory
05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Both last week and this week were predicted to be very light on touring plans. Between my sister's trip last week, and your report from this week, it seems seems to me that I might need to just completely ignore touring plans who had excited me with predictions of very low crowds next week when I am there.

Oh well. :confused:

blackjackdelta
05-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Both last week and this week were predicted to be very light on touring plans. Between my sister's trip last week, and your report from this week, it seems seems to me that I might need to just completely ignore touring plans who had excited me with predictions of very low crowds next week when I am there.

Oh well. :confused:

I find that TP is never accurate, you would have better luck contacting The Great Karnak.

Jack

Argento
05-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Another wrinkle on the crowd prediction front is the increasing prevalence of multi-track (year round) schools where there is always a part of the student body out of school, AKA "off track".

Huff
05-15-2012, 04:15 PM
I find that TP is never accurate, you would have better luck contacting The Great Karnak. Jack

TP has been fairly accurate for us at WDW but not even close at DLR. I don't think they have the stats for DLR built up like they do for WDW.

iminla
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
another reason could be that tonight there are having a special Fantasmic viewing for AP holders so that might have brought more AP's in the parks

steves1bear
05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks for an update. We arrive Sunday with Monday and Tuesday as our full day park days. Hmm, we're really going to have to take more time to plan. Was hoping for lighter crowds.

perlster
05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
The difference is that you could laugh at Carnac The Magnificent.

These prediction services can laugh at those who paid for them.

SeattleRedBear
05-15-2012, 04:24 PM
another reason could be that tonight there are having a special Fantasmic viewing for AP holders so that might have brought more AP's in the parks

I bet this is it. As AP holders who don't live in southern california, it pained me to see the announcement and not be able to get down. Was this a ticketed event?

DanT
05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I believe TP had 3/10 crowd levels for the entire week until Friday at 5/10.

Like Jack said, probably better to consult some tea leaves, tarot cards or your local fortune teller;)

Bungle
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Could be birthdays. Half the people I know, including my own kids, have birthdays this week!

ArchOwl
05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't know that slow days at DL exist anymore. The off season is so tiny now and the rest of the days are either busy, super busy, or barely able to move.

But I still can't wait to go back! :rotfl:

christinaspring
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
We were in the parks last night (Monday night) and I was surprised at how crowded it was. Although I have to say the line waits weren't TOO bad. Overall though, very crowded for a random Monday in May!

We're headed back tonight....guess I should be prepared for more of the same.

blackjackdelta
05-15-2012, 05:04 PM
TP has been fairly accurate for us at WDW but not even close at DLR. I don't think they have the stats for DLR built up like they do for WDW.

I have never been to WDW so I was only stating an observation for DisneyLand Resort.

Jack

nannyz
05-15-2012, 05:22 PM
So disappointed to hear about the rude people.
That is something I have noticed happening to DL slowly over the past 30 years.
if I encounter a lot of this on our trip this summer, it may be my last trip. Part of the greatness of DL has always been that it is a happy place -- not like the world outside the gates.

DisneytheKid
05-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the abundance of rude people. I suppose when we go over New Years there wont be any surprises with the crowd level!:scared1:

CrazyDuck
05-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Our entire group has had their fill of rude, pushy, inconsiderate people (seems to be terribly abundant on this visit). We plan to cut out a day early and go to Six Flags instead.

Good choice.... no pushy people there! :lmao:

Disneylandfan1
05-15-2012, 06:56 PM

Yes, May 14th and 15th, as well as Mon 21st and Tues 22nd are the AP Fantasmic anniversary parties for AP holders. That's probably why it's so busy yesterday and today.

Mary Jo
05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
I find that TP is never accurate, you would have better luck contacting The Great Karnak.

Jack

You are dating yourself, sir. ;)

I'm so sorry to read that you've been running into rude people. :( I hope it changes for you and that the rest of your trip is better.

Twinkledust
05-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Compared to the last couple of years the crowds are definetly getting larger! Anyone who says that the economy is not improving (slowly...which was predicted), has not been to DL recently.

I'm sorry to hear about the rude people. Makes me try, all the more, to be super nice and helpful when I'm in the parks. It's my hope that everyone has a magical experience!:wizard:

Mary Jo
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM

;)

It's a different crowd there, for sure. I once asked a group of teens to please not smoke pot (in the park at 3pm) so blatantly since my young children were right there. Meantime I was thinking, "please don't hurt me." lol

They obliged & moved away. :)

NStramler
05-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Also remember that a lot of schools take the kids to Disneyland as a end of the school year trip. I know our school is taking all of the 8th graders tomorrow. I think this is adding to the crowds....

Priory
05-15-2012, 07:13 PM
So, I am looking at a number of apps where people in the parks submit wait times for today, and honestly they don't look that bad. At least not beyond my personal realm of expectation. I am wondering if the Fantasmic AP people are making the walkways feel busier, but perhaps not overwhelming lines and waits?

jetskigrl
05-15-2012, 07:48 PM
We are getting ready to head down there for the AP event. I figured it would be pretty busy until after 10:00 and they start closing things down for the day guests.

I'm more worried about the crowds on the 91 :lmao:

4th Gen Disney Fan
05-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Is there a Grad Night tonight? That might be the case as well. That's why I planned my trip around those days.

fctiger
05-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Wow that sucks! I suspect it has something to do with the AP and the Fantasmic event as well, but really who knows?

Kind of crazy its exactly one month today before the REAL chaos begins. I mean if its busy now and Memorial day is around the corner, I suspect there will be very few true slow days now.

niklynn1
05-15-2012, 08:40 PM
We will be there right between Memorial Day and when Carsland opens. I am REALLY hoping that will be a somewhat slower week. :thumbsup2

mooshka1
05-15-2012, 09:08 PM
So sorry to hear about the rude pushy idio.... *ehem*people.. :sad2:
I agree I was surprised at some of the things that go on, but hope you are making the best of things and try to enjoy!

4th Gen Disney Fan
05-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Just checked. Today's not a Grad Night, but the rest of the week is...:sad2:

hootey
05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
We were there for the first week of april, it was crowded the entire week. I know how you feel. Luckily for us, everyone was in a good mood due to spring break...:cool1:

Mugglemama
05-15-2012, 09:55 PM

We're going to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo (it's an aquarium and zoo in addition to a theme park), the crowd dynamic there is very different than SF Magic Mountain (which I grew up going to several times per year). I've never personally encountered pushy, rude people at SFDK.

Mugglemama
05-15-2012, 10:08 PM
So, I am looking at a number of apps where people in the parks submit wait times for today, and honestly they don't look that bad. At least not beyond my personal realm of expectation. I am wondering if the Fantasmic AP people are making the walkways feel busier, but perhaps not overwhelming lines and waits?

FP line for GRR at 5 pm was 30 minutes...TOT was about the same...lines in bathrooms are 8-12 people long. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but those qualify as "bad" lines for me, personally.

HockeyMomNH
05-15-2012, 11:22 PM
We are here at DL for our first ever trip and we are shocked at the crowds so far. We have really had to rely on fast pass to get things done. We waited in line for space mountain for 50 minutes on Sunday night. It was posted as 30.

I was at WDW last summer on 4th of July week and it felt less crowded than this.

We have not encountered many rude guests at least. Lots of over the top PDAs though. :rolleyes:

Disney Dreams
05-16-2012, 12:24 AM
I think it's a matter of perspective. I've been looking at Wait Times throughout the day and it has not been that busy. Not February, but for mid-May, not bad at all.

FP line for GRR at 5 pm was 30 minutes...TOT was about the same...lines in bathrooms are 8-12 people long. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but those qualify as "bad" lines for me, personally.

In my opinion, when it's been close to 80 degrees all day long is not a long wait. I wouldn't have minded getting a cold splash earlier this evening.

Sorry the crowds have some rude ones amongst them. That's no fun.

- Dreams

mommamonster
05-16-2012, 12:38 AM
We're going to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo (it's an aquarium and zoo in addition to a theme park), the crowd dynamic there is very different than SF Magic Mountain (which I grew up going to several times per year). I've never personally encountered pushy, rude people at SFDK.

Oh, have fun at DK! We go every summer for my husband's company BBQ event. We are usually there on a Saturday in July every year, and despite the large crowds, we have always enjoyed our time and never run into any rude or pushy people either. My kids loved the Thomas town, until they changed it last year. Other than that little disappointment, we love that park.

JaxsonsMom
05-16-2012, 12:47 AM
I always find this time of year a little crazy - most colleges are getting out and you seem to find a different type of group at the parks... Sorry the parks are a little crowded for you - but you aren't alone!:goodvibes

mouseymommy
05-16-2012, 12:59 AM

My good friend work there as a vet tech! I have always wanted to get up there to see her. Have fun, it sounds like a great place.

Mugglemama
05-16-2012, 02:42 AM
I think it's a matter of perspective. I've been looking at Wait Times throughout the day and it has not been that busy. Not February, but for mid-May, not bad at all.

In my opinion, when it's been close to 80 degrees all day long is not a long wait. I wouldn't have minded getting a cold splash earlier this evening.

Sorry the crowds have some rude ones amongst them. That's no fun.

- Dreams

with all due respect, I've been trekking through the parks all day and it *has* most definitely "been that busy". You can see from other posts by people who've been in the parks that I'm not imagining it. Not sure what wait times you're viewing, but a 30 minute FastPass line on a non-holiday, non-summer weekday seems unusual as far as my experiences go.

Mugglemama
05-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Oh, have fun at DK! We go every summer for my husband's company BBQ event. We are usually there on a Saturday in July every year, and despite the large crowds, we have always enjoyed our time and never run into any rude or pushy people either. My kids loved the Thomas town, until they changed it last year. Other than that little disappointment, we love that park.
Thanks! We might get AP's for DK instead of DLR next year...it's close to home and we love seeing the sharks, dolphins, and killer whale. :)
I always find this time of year a little crazy - most colleges are getting out and you seem to find a different type of group at the parks... Sorry the parks are a little crowded for you - but you aren't alone!:goodvibes
When I thought I'd chosen well by sandwiching our visit between Spring Breaks and end-of-schoolyear testing/obligations, I didn't consider college students. We seem to be encountering mostly families, but I'm going to try to remember to pay attention tomorrow to see if there seems to be a lot of college age kids.
My good friend work there as a vet tech! I have always wanted to get up there to see her. Have fun, it sounds like a great place. Thanks! Hope you make it to see your friend at DK soon! The aquarium alone is worth the (online) admission price, IMHO.

markinmt
05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
I was in the parks last week and Wednesday was lighter than Thursday and into Friday. One thing I noticed that I didn't care for was that Disney is now allowing the Grad Night kids into the park all day long, not after the park closes which used to be the case.

Didn't really notice the high school seniors until about 8 p.m., but having them all in the park at night ruined Disneyland after dark for us. We are used to closing the park and walking on rides for the last hour or so, not the case on Thursday and Friday. Alice was 50 minutes, almost an hour for Pan, and that was 60 minutes before the park closed to the public.

I love the Grad Night tradition, but I don't think it is fair to the general public nor the students to cram everyone into the park. Hopefully Disneyland gets enough complaints to push grad night back to the way it was for the past 49 years.

All that said, Disneyland is still my favorite place to be, crowded or not.

Pixiafurie
05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Well, I guess we can agree that Disney is anything but predictable! :)

Hopefully, the rudeness doesn't carry through the summer!

EmmersIsTheMommy
05-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Rudeness could be directly related to crowd size. LOL

I'm sooo crossing my fingers for less people. And happier people. ROFL

Feistygirl916
05-16-2012, 11:49 AM

Ooh, favorite park in California (besides the original Mouses house!) :thumbsup2

MrsPinup
05-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Wow, the crowds surprise me. I have been watching MouseWait and the lines are posting under 20 minutes and even TSMM was only at 30 minutes. Those lines seem heavenly compared to my last few visits in February and March when most rides were over 30 minutes and TSMM was well over an hour.

dumbodame
05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Our trips to DL are always taken during the busy times....August, Candlelight weekend, etc.

We love the crowds. Sure....the more people that are in the parks, the more opportunity there is to encounter rude and pushy people. I ignore that kind of behavior and don't let it ruin my fun...it's not worth my time or energy to let that kind of stuff get under my skin or to irritate me.

More people in the parks also gives us the chance to encounter more engaging and terrific people. We have met some awesome people while waiting in line, or sharing a table in a busy restaurant. If a line seems too long...we go somewhere else...there is always something to do or to experience.

I agree with a previous poster that felt a 30 minute wait for Grizzly in 80 degree weather wasn't bad....but again, it's about perception.

I am sorry that you have met with unpleasantness during your time in the parks. I hope you enjoy your time at Six Flags.

christinaspring
05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
We were in DCA last night and it wasnt that bad at all. Ferris wheel wait was 20 minutes, TSMM was 30 (shortest I've seen so we finally rode it for the first time....CUTE!), grizzly river run was 20 minutes. So overall not too bad!

Of course this was DCA and not DL.

Shawn
05-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the report. We did a DL trip in May 4 or 5 years back and it was our best trip ever --- crowds were small and weather was great. We're planning our next trip and I was considering doing May again. Perhaps I'll move it to January or February.

jetskigrl
05-16-2012, 12:53 PM
We got to DLR at about 6:30 last night, walked into DL thinking it would be horrible and it was awesome. :thumbsup2 There was no outside line for Star Tours (people walking right in) and fastpasses still available for 7:30. The same for Space. Everyone was lined up for the parade so all the rides in Tomorrowland were walk on.

Lines did start to form a bit after the parade but it was still an extremely quiet night compared to what we usually see on the weekends. We were there for the Fantasmic 20th Anniversary event so we just enjoyed everything in Tomorrowland and then moved over to NOS (to sample the special food items, LOL).

NOS and areas around there were a bit busier, but I think that was due to all the people there for the event. The crowd for Fantasmic was big, of course, but the overall feel of the park was very light crowds. A very quiet night (in our opinion).

The highlight was walking out on Main Street with only a few people even near us at all and then seeing all the Fantasmic characters (with Mickey and Minnie front and center) at the train station waving goodbye to us. :wave2:

HydroGuy
05-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Not to dismiss any posts here about crowds, but it is not uncommon to see two people at the same park on the same day post two different things - one says it is terribly crowded and another says it is light crowds.

The best indicator is probably wait times for rides. When I see 30 minutes peak wait times for TSMM I think moderate but not heavy crowds. When I see 20 minutes peak I think light crowds.

Even so, if there are a lot of people in the parks they can feel crowded even though the lines are not that long.

Mugglemama
05-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Crowds are getting heavy again today. We've had a few instances of people shoving us out of the way to get ahead in line today (something we've encountered a LOT on this visit), but other than that,the rudeness is less pronounced today. So far.

kailuagirl
05-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Major bummers, so sorry :(

pilesoflaundry
05-16-2012, 03:09 PM

I haven't been to DL yet but we are planning our first trip. That sounds bad to me in May, comparing to WDW or sea world or any of the other places I have been. Maybe I've been spoiled by going to WDW during low times and having the additional parks to absorb the crowds but 30 minutes in May sounds awful!

We are here at DL for our first ever trip and we are shocked at the crowds so far. We have really had to rely on fast pass to get things done. We waited in line for space mountain for 50 minutes on Sunday night. It was posted as 30.

I was at WDW last summer on 4th of July week and it felt less crowded than this.

We have not encountered many rude guests at least. Lots of over the top PDAs though. :rolleyes:

This post is scaring me! I've been in WDW the week leading up to the 4th and it was awful but that was 2008 and that year was pretty bad for crowds.

We are only planning on going once to DL and I'm afraid I'm going to enjoy it a lot less than WDW because of the crowds/rude people (which I've heard in the summer is worse because locals use it as summer camp for their teens). I want to go but yet I don't know if I want to spend the money to be irritated...

JadeDarkstar
05-16-2012, 03:17 PM
i hope in 10 days it gets better and rude ppl make me soo mad i am not a nice person when ppl aren't nice to me. I know ive got a temper just try real hard not to bite there heads off.

I do hope the 89-90% wont kill my trip

Astylla
05-16-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm a firm believer it's all what you make of it. Since you can't control how others are you have to be in control of yourself. Growing up near WDW I always recalled very long lines and days without FP - Even on the "worst" of days I can't remember it ever really affecting me personally. I'm there to enjoy myself - and sure we have all encountered rude people but it's going to happen. I just refuse to let it ruin my day or trip , that's all.

Mugglemama
05-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Our trips to DL are always taken during the busy times....August, Candlelight weekend, etc.

We love the crowds. Sure....the more people that are in the parks, the more opportunity there is to encounter rude and pushy people. I ignore that kind of behavior and don't let it ruin my fun...it's not worth my time or energy to let that kind of stuff get under my skin or to irritate me.

More people in the parks also gives us the chance to encounter more engaging and terrific people. We have met some awesome people while waiting in line, or sharing a table in a busy restaurant. If a line seems too long...we go somewhere else...there is always something to do or to experience.

I agree with a previouss poster that felt a 30 minute wait for Grizzly in 80 degree weather wasn't bad....but again, it's about perception.

I dont think 30 minutes for GRR is bad, either....but I *do* think 30 minutes for the FASTPASS line is bad...which us what I explained we personally encountered.

The lines fluctuate throughout the day of course, but this was our experience.

The crowds aren't ruining our trip or anything. We're just ready to leave these big crowds behind. Even the kids have had enough DLR for now.:)

Mugglemama
05-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Not to dismiss any posts here about crowds, but it is not uncommon to see two people at the same park on the same day post two different things - one says it is terribly crowded and another says it is light crowds.

The best indicator is probably wait times for rides. When I see 30 minutes peak wait times for TSMM I think moderate but not heavy crowds. When I see 20 minutes peak I think light crowds.

Even so, if there are a lot of people in the parks they can feel crowded even though the lines are not that long.

I hear what you're saying...however, wait times listed Splash at 40 minutes a bit ago but the line wrapped all the way around to the exit of HM. Is that actually a 40 minute wait? I don't know personally, because I've never gotten into the Splash line when it's that long.

Oh, and anytime we've walked past TSMM in the past 3 days, we've never seen it listed under 50 minutes...and have seen it as high as 70 minutes on Monday.

CrazyDuck
05-16-2012, 03:50 PM
I hear what you're saying...however, wait times listed Splash at 40 minutes a bit ago but the line wrapped all the way around to the exit of HM. Is that actually a 40 minute wait? I don't know personally, because I've never gotten into the Splash line when it's that long.

It just looks long, because they haven't started weaving people in the queue... on a busy day Splash can get to 60-90 minutes and the line won't reach the exit on HM.

disneegrl4eva
05-16-2012, 05:25 PM
i hope in 10 days it gets better and rude ppl make me soo mad i am not a nice person when ppl aren't nice to me. I know ive got a temper just try real hard not to bite there heads off.

I do hope the 89-90% wont kill my trip

hahhaa Jade....im the same way...i will go off on people that act a fool :rotfl: but alas, i think you better mentally prepare yourself because you are going over Memorial Day week and more and more people are getting out of school and grad nights of course so its better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best:goodvibes

Mugglemama
05-16-2012, 05:35 PM
It just looks long, because they haven't started weaving people in the queue... on a busy day Splash can get to 60-90 minutes and the line won't reach the exit on HM.

I must be very unobservant, then. Because I just walked through the queue and it appeared that all available space in the standby line was filled in. Is there a part of the INDOOR portion of the line we don't see when walking through with FP's? :confused3

HydroGuy
05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Again, I do not want to dismiss the OP or anyone's claims. I am sitting here in Colorado and I am not there. I subscribe to Lines iPhone app which takes real time data from folks there and uses that to estimate wait times. I have found their real time data to be quite accurate over multiple trips to DLR and WDW.

Here is what Lines says now at 2:30PM (mid-day crowds) in SoCal for standby wait times :

DL:
Indy - 26 minutes wait
Space - 33 minutes wait
Splash - 36 minutes wait
ST - 39 minutes wait

DCA:
CS - 18 minutes wait
GRR - 29 minutes wait
SOC - 42 minutes wait
ToT - 30 minutes wait
TSMM - 40 minutes wait

This says to me moderate to heavy crowds. All the DCA wait times are approaching mid-summer wait times - maybe a little lower.

All the DL wait times are much lower than mid-summer wait times - about half.

I am not saying anyone in this thread is right or wrong. I am just saying what Lines says is happening right now for everyone's general information.

Best wishes to everyone at the parks this week and hope you have great experiences in spite of some of the differences from what you expected!

:wizard:

Disney Dreams
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
with all due respect, I've been trekking through the parks all day and it *has* most definitely "been that busy". You can see from other posts by people who've been in the parks that I'm not imagining it. Not sure what wait times you're viewing, but a 30 minute FastPass line on a non-holiday, non-summer weekday seems unusual as far as my experiences go.
I never said that you were imaging anything. What I was saying is that what you are describing does not mean the same thing to me as it seems to mean to you. For mid-May, I do not think what you are reporting is busy, especially when it's almost 80 degrees out and an absolutely gorgeous day. :goodvibes

Oh, and anytime we've walked past TSMM in the past 3 days, we've never seen it listed under 50 minutes...and have seen it as high as 70 minutes on Monday.
What you're sharing about TSMM is not unusual at all for a beautiful day.

This is exactly right when it comes to Splash. What CrazyDuck is saying about the perception of the line vs. the wait is very accurate. If they have to snaking ot appears to be shorter than if they just let it go all the way down to mansion without the back and forth.

Again, I do not want to dismiss the OP or anyone's claims. I am sitting here in Colorado and I am not there. I subscribe to Lines iPhone app which takes real time data from folks there and uses that to estimate wait times. I have found their real time data to be quite accurate over multiple trips to DLR and WDW.

Here is what Lines says now at 2:30PM (mid-day crowds) in SoCal for standby wait times :

DL:
Indy - 26 minutes wait
Space - 33 minutes wait
Splash - 36 minutes wait
ST - 39 minutes wait

DCA:
CS - 18 minutes wait
GRR - 29 minutes wait
SOC - 42 minutes wait
ToT - 30 minutes wait
TSMM - 40 minutes wait

This says to me moderate to heavy crowds. All the DCA wait times are approaching mid-summer wait times - maybe a little lower.

All the DL wait times are much lower than mid-summer wait times - about half.
Agreed.

I hope, regardless of crowds or lines, anyone lucky enough to be at DLR right now is having fun!

To some people $100 is a lot for dinner. To some people it's not. At DLR, whether a 20 minute wait is long or not is a matter of perception.

- Dreams

jakoky
05-16-2012, 06:02 PM
We were in the parks today and have to say we were shocked at how
busy it was. We got in line at noon for grizzly and it said 20
min and we waited at least 40-45. We went in Monday too and
found the crowds far less. Space mountain broke down while we
we were on it, thankfully we were almost at the very end
and
my daughter and I only needed to use a small step ladder
To climb off. Having an awesome time; but there are crowds!:)

DizFan13
05-16-2012, 06:13 PM
I am watching this thread attentively; we will be there on Friday, and I know that either way we will be thrilled and will have a wonderful time, but it is nice to be prepared for crowds. I have noticed an increase in crowds during what is generally considered off-time this entire past year, so it does not completely surprise me that it might seem shocking to some. I am still anxious to get there, grad nights, heavy crowds, and all!

Mugglemama
05-16-2012, 09:21 PM
I never said that you were imaging anything. What I was saying is that what you are describing does not mean the same thing to me as it seems to mean to you. For mid-May, I do not think what you are reporting is busy, especially when it's almost 80 degrees out and an absolutely gorgeous day. :goodvibes

What you're sharing about TSMM is not unusual at all for a beautiful day.

This is exactly right when it comes to Splash. What CrazyDuck is saying about the perception of the line vs. the wait is very accurate. If they have to snaking ot appears to be shorter than if they just let it go all the way down to mansion without the back and forth.

Agreed.

I hope, regardless of crowds or lines, anyone lucky enough to be at DLR right now is having fun!

To some people $100 is a lot for dinner. To some people it's not. At DLR, whether a 20 minute wait is long or not is a matter of perception.

- Dreams

20 minutes is not a long wait to me. Waiting 30 minutes to ride GRR or TOT when I have a FP in hand is, though. When we were done riding Splash, the sign at the beginning of the queue said 55 minutes. That does seem long to me for a non-holiday, non-Summer weekday. We only waited about 10 minutes with FP's though, which was great.

DH and kids waited about 30 minutes for BTMRR, 20 minutes for POTC, walked on to IASW early this morning. We never made it onto PP, as we never saw a line shorter than 30 minutes, even though we arrived in FL about 5 minutes after rope drop (but it was a MM so I wasn't surprised).

We didn't encounter nearly as much rudeness today, so that made the day sooooo much nicer. We've said goodbye to DLR for now and are back at the pool relaxing (although DD and her bf are still at the parks).

dlinne
05-16-2012, 11:01 PM

My family really enjoyed Discovery Kingdom. I was surprised at how mellow most of the lines were at DK in the summer in comparison to DL during Spring Break. There are some great animal shows. My daughter's favorite thing was going on stage to demonstrate how to pet a porcupine :)

Hope you all have a great time!

Priory
05-16-2012, 11:36 PM
DK sounds cool. I used to live there when it was Six Flags Marine World and it was an absolutely miserable place. Sounds much better now. I will always love that gorgeous view of the park from the rest area on I80 W. I will have to revisit someday.

Mugglemama
05-17-2012, 12:35 AM
My family really enjoyed Discovery Kingdom. I was surprised at how mellow most of the lines were at DK in the summer in comparison to DL during Spring Break. There are some great animal shows. My daughter's favorite thing was going on stage to demonstrate how to pet a porcupine :)

Hope you all have a great time!

Thanks! We've only encountered reasonable lines with most of the rides there, too.

DK sounds cool. I used to live there when it was Six Flags Marine World and it was an absolutely miserable place. Sounds much better now. I will always love that gorgeous view of the park from the rest area on I80 W. I will have to revisit someday.

I never saw it when it was Marine World, and I have to agree with many who worry for the mental well-being of the animals with the sounds and vibrations from the rides. However, it's one of the last places in the country to view an orca up close (which is a good thing - I'll be glad when no more are taken from the wild to be forced to perform...), and since we don't have time to fit in a trip to Sea World, and DK is calm, comparatively, and only 90 minutes from our house...we're looking forward to the change of pace from DLR. The whale at DK isn't really forced to do "tricks" to the extent that the ones at Sea World are, so that's a plus (in fact, I'm not sure the one at DK does any real "tricks" at all?).

FireflyJar
05-17-2012, 01:48 AM
deleted