PDA

View Full Version : How should I handle this stroller issue?

Delaney21
05-06-2012, 08:48 PM
We are leaving for my DS's Wish trip in 3 days!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Of course we waited until the last minute to try to figure out the stroller issue and it didn't go as planned.

We have 3 kids that need strollers - 13 month old twins and my 5 year old wish kid, who needs a stroller also. We had planned on having him use the single stroller, but today we had him test it out and he was too big for it. He can fit in the double stroller. So we aren't sure the best way to do this.

Possible configurations:
#1 - 1 twin in the single stroller, 5 year old and other twin in the double
#2 - twins in the double stroller, try to find the 5 year old a special needs (bigger) stroller to rent
#3 - twins in the double stroller, 5 year old in the free Disney stroller we could get

Downsides/Questions:
#1 - We need to get the stroller as a wheelchair sticker and I'm not sure how they would feel about having it on a double stroller.

#2 - I'm having trouble locating a SN stroller - any ideas?

#3 - He's about the size of an average 4 year old...are the Disney strollers big enough? Will he be comfortable in it?

What do you think would be best? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Betty Rohrer
05-06-2012, 09:05 PM
on my grandsons Wish trips, we were able to get double as the free stroller at Disney, Universal and SeaWorld. did not have to do ahead of time. Are you bringing a double for twins at airport. you will need something to to get from arrival gate to get luggage and car rental. if staying at Give Kids The World, their help can not go past TSA to help you. that was the hardest part of trip for us.

MaggieMollyMom
05-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Hi, I would rent a SN stroller and bring the double for the twins. You can rent from one of the rental places that are talked about on here. Or just rent a City Mini if he's the size of a 4 yr old. We have Britax B-Agile strollers for our twins (2 singles) and the city mini is similar (ours holds up to 60 lbs, as do the city minis, i believe). I don't think the Disney strollers look too comfortable, especially with some special needs. good luck and have a wonderful time!!!

Lilyzmom
05-06-2012, 11:21 PM
My daughter is five years old and has down syndrome. She weighs 45 pounds and is 42 inches tall. She fits great in the new city mini gt. the weight limit goes to 65 pounds so we can use it awhile. I like it because her feet can't touch the ground and push herself around.

TinkNH
05-06-2012, 11:27 PM
My 4 yr old fit just fine in the Disney strollers in every park..if that helps at all...

MaggieMollyMom
05-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Strange question...did your family have a Tiny Light photo shoot? I just read your PTR and the pic looked sort of familiar to me!

SueM in MN
05-06-2012, 11:57 PM
We are leaving for my DS's Wish trip in 3 days!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Of course we waited until the last minute to try to figure out the stroller issue and it didn't go as planned.

We have 3 kids that need strollers - 13 month old twins and my 5 year old wish kid, who needs a stroller also. We had planned on having him use the single stroller, but today we had him test it out and he was too big for it. He can fit in the double stroller. So we aren't sure the best way to do this.

Possible configurations:
#1 - 1 twin in the single stroller, 5 year old and other twin in the double
#2 - twins in the double stroller, try to find the 5 year old a special needs (bigger) stroller to rent
#3 - twins in the double stroller, 5 year old in the free Disney stroller we could get

Downsides/Questions:
#1 - We need to get the stroller as a wheelchair sticker and I'm not sure how they would feel about having it on a double stroller.
As long as the stroller is no longer than 48 inches and no wider than 30 inches, it will fit in places where wheelchairs fit.
WDW has no problem with giving a stroller as a wheelchair for a double stroller. We are on vacation right now and have seen several double strollers being used as wheelchairs.
#2 - I'm having trouble locating a SN stroller - any ideas?

#3 - He's about the size of an average 4 year old...are the Disney strollers big enough? Will he be comfortable in it?

What do you think would be best? Or does anyone have any other ideas?
At his age and size, he should not need a special needs stroller. The regular park rental ones would work.
Disadvantages would be:
- you would only have it at the park
- they are firm plastic, and while not uncomfortable, they are not padded
- they are low to the ground, so children are close to ground level.

Advantages would be:
- you would only have to transport your own double stroller
- they are made for bigger children and are easy to push
- if you have any concerns about your child’s contact with surfaces, they are easy to wipe off.

newdrama12
05-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Maybe GKTW would have a stroller that they could loan for the week. Might give them a call and see if they could check and see or you could rent one for a company here in FL and have it delivered to GKTW, so that it is waiting for you when you check in. That way, you will be able to use it outside of the parks. I know Orlando Stroller Rentals will deliver to the Village.

goofieslonglostsis
05-07-2012, 07:01 AM
SN stroller all the way! It might be bigger somewhat, but it being for only one also means easier to move around in difficult lines, stores etc. It will be easier to go off and do stuff with just him and one parent while the other stays with the twin for their rest. If even for one moment on the whole trip, that time alone will be SO special when having young twin siblings and the "norm" being that solo attention is when needing it healthwise.

Also it is easier to sell to him being a big boy. It looks different, it IS different. It is for his needs (much more comfort) and while the 'general" public wont see the difference most of the times, those of us in the "know" do. That in itself can be very valueble for both him and yourselfs, those moments of interaction and "getting it".

Also this way the twin isn't splitted into 2 different strollers. At that age they might see one thing as "better" than the other. Want what the other has. No such thing when both of them are in the same double stroller. Also; no option to pester your older brother when he needs his rest but you as a youngster see your time to hit, push, cry, nag or whatever.

Delaney21
05-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Thank you all so much for the input! Everyone had different examples and ideas that I hadn't thought of and it was very helpful! We decided to rent a stroller since we are staying longer than just the wish trip because even if we got the free stroller at Disney or one from GKTW, we would still need to rent one for the additional days. It was only $30 more to rent it for the entire time.

I also liked the reminder that it would be good to have the twins in the separate stroller so we can go off and do things with Mitchell by himself and the twins can stay with someone else (we have 2 additional people going, I wouldn't leave them with someone random!). :lmao:

We decided to go with the Bob Revolution, which is bigger and therefore would be more comfortable for Mitchell, without going to a SN stroller.

Thank you all again!

Strange question...did your family have a Tiny Light photo shoot? I just read your PTR and the pic looked sort of familiar to me!

No, we haven't done a Tiny Light photo shoot, but we are often told that we look familiar to people. I guess we just have those common faces :goodvibes

SueM in MN
05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Thank you all so much for the input! Everyone had different examples and ideas that I hadn't thought of and it was very helpful! We decided to rent a stroller since we are staying longer than just the wish trip because even if we got the free stroller at Disney or one from GKTW, we would still need to rent one for the additional days. It was only $30 more to rent it for the entire time.

I also liked the reminder that it would be good to have the twins in the separate stroller so we can go off and do things with Mitchell by himself and the twins can stay with someone else (we have 2 additional people going, I wouldn't leave them with someone random!). :lmao:

We decided to go with the Bob Revolution, which is bigger and therefore would be more comfortable for Mitchell, without going to a SN stroller.

Thank you all again!

No, we haven't done a Tiny Light photo shoot, but we are often told that we look familiar to people. I guess we just have those common faces :goodvibes
That stroller should work well for him. They look very comfortable.