PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel the need to respond to abled guests complaints or comments?

Lisab372
05-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I usually don't but on our last trip we had a complaint that pushing our DD12 in a wheelchair all day is no different than this particular guest pushing her baby stroller all day, and why should the parent who was not pushing the wheelchair be allowed to accompany them since it means I would be guaranteed a seat.

The bus driver was wonderful, and noticed our daughter's anguish at the thought of me not accompanying her on her seat (as DH always folds the chair and stands at the rear, this led her to believe she would sit alone) and told her never to worry about being separated from her family. After he seated us, the driver closed the doors and actually spoke to the rude guest in line, although we have no idea what was actually said.

My husband was very angry, and if he had not been the one on the wheelchair ramp while moving, I am sure there would have been a very different outcome.

DvcDoc
05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Would love to know what the driver said, I'll bet it was a jewel.

disney david
05-04-2012, 04:07 PM
It go to show their are great drivers at Disney but the very few bad ones over shadow the good ones. Please don't let anyone ruin your trip it not worth it their people who will say stupid comments. All that matter is you and your family have a great trip and your ds hets loaded safely. The other guest was proberly just jealous of you for the fact that you can enjoy your trip with out having to say comments to other people. Well at least you ha a great driver that stepped in and took control of the situation giving you and your family and great ride and giving that guest a good talking to.

SenecaWolf
05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
I use forearm crutches to get around and got an ECV while at Disney, there were 2 times there were comments made about my 2 kids getting on with me. But, let me mention that my DS14 was holding my crutches ready for me when I got off the ECV and my DD16 was there holding all our things. While heading out of the MK and a comment was made, the driver 'light heartedly' made a comment that anyone else was welcome to come up and assist me :love: My DD14 was always the first to give up his seat to someone with a child or an older person anyways.

My particular favorite was when you are quite plainly sitting in the ECV/WC box, the bus pulls up opens the door and lowers the ramp and someone runs over from the main line to get in the bus. Then they get upset when the driver stops them and explains that the ramp is for the scooter. I felt so bad for our one driver, this happened and she politely stopped them at the ramp and they called her all sorts of unpleasant things. (In spanish AND english even when getting off the bus) We had a really nice conversation when we got to DHS while she was getting the ECV unhooked and hopefully brightened her day a bit.

SueM in MN
05-04-2012, 10:58 PM
We have heard some of those comments over the years, but feel it is better to not engage the complainer.
You are not likely to change their mind and just might make them more angry. Once anger takes over, it is hard to predict or control what will happen.

I’m glad the buss driver took care of it. If you are somewhere else and a CM can handle them, that would be best. If they get out of control, they can even be kicked out of the park.

A Mickeyfan
05-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I have to chime in here for a moment.. sometimes it isn't even just able bodied guests it is also those with a disability that is different than yours.. :( they feel the need for you to explain why you "want" certain things.

utterrandomness
05-05-2012, 10:07 AM
My DD14 was always the first to give up his seat to someone with a child or an older person anyways.

But would your daughter get up for someone with an invisible disability who asked for a seat? I have a lot of problems with that kind of situation where people assume that because I'm not elderly and my mobility aid is attached to my leg I don't need a seat and even make comments when I ask. I'm sure your daughter would, because you seem like a great parent and your kids sound awesome and helpful, but not everyone would and it's something to watch out for.

bidnow5
05-05-2012, 10:44 AM
The only time I ever responded to a comment was when a guy grabbed his son by the hand picked him up and threw him in front of my scooter to get in front of me then started yelling at me for almost hitting him.

My children and now my grandchildren always give up their seat for an adult to sit

chloelovesdisney
05-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I would not respond to something said to/about myself, but I have said something to others on line talking about someone else boarding in a scooter.

SashaFarce
05-05-2012, 11:08 AM
My partner and I are both scooter users. On one trip where we had a scooter malfunction issue on our way out of the park my partner had to get off her ECV and push it in neutral on the ramp onto the ferry at MK. I was behind her and heard the people make snarky comments about how "IT'S A MIRACLE!" that she was able to walk.

I didn't want to get into a fight at MK... but anywhere else it would have been on.

SueM in MN
05-05-2012, 11:46 AM
My partner and I are both scooter users. On one trip where we had a scooter malfunction issue on our way out of the park my partner had to get off her ECV and push it in neutral on the ramp onto the ferry at MK. I was behind her and heard the people make snarky comments about how "IT'S A MIRACLE!" that she was able to walk.

I didn't want to get into a fight at MK... but anywhere else it would have been on.
And, then some of them come on discussion boards and comment about how they “know” the person they saw did not “need” it because they got off an pushed it - from a 30 to 60 second slice of time observation.
Almost like they are bragging for causing someone else pain with their comment. :sad2:

Lisab372
05-05-2012, 11:46 AM
That's the thing, too. DD is able to transfer, but certainly cannot stand unattended, nor make more than a few steps on her own. When people hear that she has CP, they say she looks fine. However, they don't know what they are looking for. You don't see the AFO's underneath her pants or inside her shoes, nor the fact that her limbs are thin as toothpicks inside her clothes and those are only a few of the issues that are physically visible. Not to mention all of the things on the inside.

SenecaWolf
05-05-2012, 12:14 PM
But would your daughter get up for someone with an invisible disability who asked for a seat? I have a lot of problems with that kind of situation where people assume that because I'm not elderly and my mobility aid is attached to my leg I don't need a seat and even make comments when I ask. I'm sure your daughter would, because you seem like a great parent and your kids sound awesome and helpful, but not everyone would and it's something to watch out for.

OOps I meant DS14, DD is 16 LOL But anyways, if someone were to ask for a seat they totally would give it up :) Unfortunately they have grown up seeing not only my visible disabilites but we have close family members with 'invisible' disabilities also such as fibro, lupus and RSD so they are aware there may be reasons for someone asking :)

A Mickeyfan
05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
The only time I ever responded to a comment was when a guy grabbed his son by the hand picked him up and threw him in front of my scooter to get in front of me then started yelling at me for almost hitting him.

My children and now my grandchildren always give up their seat for an adult to sit

:eek: How can a parent even do that to their child is beyond me. They are going to chance their child getting hurt to jump in front of you.. that is just out right stupid.. sorry to say, but it is true. It amazes me what some people do sometimes and think nothing of the consequences that may end up happening.. :sad2: Would he throw his child under the wheels of a bus to make them stop for him too.....:rolleyes:

A Mickeyfan
05-05-2012, 12:25 PM
And, then some of them come on discussion boards and comment about how they “know” the person they saw did not “need” it because they got off an pushed it - from a 30 to 60 second slice of time observation.
Almost like they are bragging for causing someone else pain with their comment. :sad2:

no one should have to explain their problems.. ;) even those that are not visible to the naked eye.....:goodvibes no one should be told to deal with it.. it is just an unfair world sometimes.. all around... :upsidedow

and yes, we are all somewhat guilty of this to a certain degree, some are just more out spoken than others :sad2: Until we all "walk" in someones shoes, we cannot "see" what they must endure.. :flower3:

Nik's Mom
05-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I had some lady complain loudly and try to get me to leave the line with my stroller. She wouldn't shut up, so I finally had to tell her that I had a card that gave me permission to use it in the line due to my son's disability. That shut her up quick and her husband looked embarrassed. :sad2:

disneychic2
05-05-2012, 03:19 PM
When I see someone in a wheelchair it just makes me so grateful that I don't need one! I feel badly that so many people seem to resent people with special needs having the nerve to use the Disney buses. I think the vast majority of folks feel the way I do, but the idiots who can't keep their lips zipped, or worse, seem to stand out. Some people will just never get over their sense of entitlement or superiority or whatever makes them think that their needs should be met before others. I'm sorry you had this experience and hope it didn't ruin your day.:flower3:

jmartinez1895
05-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I had some lady complain loudly and try to get me to leave the line with my stroller. She wouldn't shut up, so I finally had to tell her that I had a card that gave me permission to use it in the line due to my son's disability. That shut her up quick and her husband looked embarrassed. :sad2:

We have had the same thing happen. I just ignore them now and if I have people come up ( not CM's but guest) and tell me that strollers are not allowed I just tell them thank you and go on about my way.
I used to feel the need to try and explain things because I did not want people to think badly of me or my children, but then i learned that it is almost pointless and I'm not going to ruin my vacation over them.

chloelovesdisney
05-05-2012, 07:26 PM
We have had the same thing happen. I just ignore them now and if I have people come up ( not CM's but guest) and tell me that strollers are not allowed I just tell them thank you and go on about my way.
I used to feel the need to try and explain things because I did not want people to think badly of me or my children, but then i learned that it is almost pointless and I'm not going to ruin my vacation over them.

I had some people also talking about my being in line with the stroller but I just smiled and ignored the comments when it happened. I didn't feel like explaining my need for it but would have if anyone actually asked me directly. Instead they just talked amongst themselves about it while I was standing right there.

scdak
05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
My elderly mother used a scooter for our recent trip for the first time, usually I push her in a wheelchair but I couldn't do that and push a 3 year old in a stroller so she agreed to the scooter, although she was terrified of using it. With some practice she learned to use if safely just fine but in large crowds she got so stressed that she preferred to walk slowly pushing the stroller for support and let me deal with the ECV, and there were comments! But NO one seemed to mind too much if I took it on and off the buses, all it took was seeing her try and how much time it took and and they realized if they wanted to get on the bus, it was much better to have me do it, I never heard a nasty comment but there might have been some. I will say that we made sure to avoid busy times as much as we could so that it wasn't an issue most of the time but that wasn't always possible. But as I have read so many times on the DISboards, most people would be HAPPY to not have to use wheelchairs or ECV's if they were able to do Disney without them! The people that make comments may some day be in the position to use them and they will have an eye opening experience.

ttintagel
05-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I was in an ECV outside the Country Bear Jamboree when a boy of about four looked at it and said, "I want one of those!" His grandmother (or mother, maybe) smirked and said, "Yeah, sure must be nice."

I smiled and said, "Yeah, it's GREAT having a broken foot! Wanna trade legs?"

The little boy laughed, but the woman looked suitably abashed.

stitchlovestink
05-05-2012, 11:34 PM

Not to start an argument, but how do you know that the person you are asking to give up their seat doesn't have an invisible disability of their own? And that can put them in a rather percarious position to have to either seem rude by not complying with your request or explaining their own personal business. I have my own hidden disabilities and if I was seated and you asked me... Honestly, I would not be very happy with you. Because if I don't honor you request, I appear rude. And then in order not to appear rude, I am almost 'obligated' to divulge a certain amount of personal information about myself that I may not care to share in that instance. I really am not saying this to you right now to be rude or start an argument, but just to share how the situation could very well happen. If I need to be assured of a seat, I wait for a bus that I will get a seat on, not board one where I 'hope' or 'anticipate' someone to give one up to me. I know that would be the nice thing. And it is great if someone OFFERS one up. But to ASK is a totally different ballgame. You don't know why they may need that seat! :goodvibes

utterrandomness
05-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Not to start an argument, but how do you know that the person you are asking to give up their seat doesn't have an invisible disability of their own? And that can put them in a rather percarious position to have to either seem rude by not complying with your request or explaining their own personal business. I have my own hidden disabilities and if I was seated and you asked me... Honestly, I would not be very happy with you. Because if I don't honor you request, I appear rude. And then in order not to appear rude, I am almost 'obligated' to divulge a certain amount of personal information about myself that I may not care to share in that instance. I really am not saying this to you right now to be rude or start an argument, but just to share how the situation could very well happen. If I need to be assured of a seat, I wait for a bus that I will get a seat on, not board one where I 'hope' or 'anticipate' someone to give one up to me. I know that would be the nice thing. And it is great if someone OFFERS one up. But to ASK is a totally different ballgame. You don't know why they may need that seat! :goodvibes

I would never ask a specific person, but I can definitely ask. You do not have to get up, nothing obligates you to do that. You could just say something like "sorry, I need the seat". How am I supposed to get what I need if I don't ask? No one would get up for me if I didn't ask, but I need a seat... Under your plan, I should stand and end up needing $400 more physio and more involved surgery, no thanks, I'd rather ask. Not everyone can wait for however many busses because they're too afraid of offending someone. My health comes before my social discomfort (which is considerable, by the way). I'm glad you have the leeway of waiting for a different bus, but you might want to consider asking. Please note that I keep saying asking, not demanding.

Mom2six
05-05-2012, 11:57 PM
I would never ask a specific person, but I can definitely ask. You do not have to get up, nothing obligates you to do that. You could just say something like "sorry, I need the seat". How am I supposed to get what I need if I don't ask? No one would get up for me if I didn't ask, but I need a seat... Under your plan, I should stand and end up needing $400 more physio and more involved surgery, no thanks, I'd rather ask. Not everyone can wait for however many busses because they're too afraid of offending someone. My health comes before my social discomfort (which is considerable, by the way). I'm glad you have the leeway of waiting for a different bus, but you might want to consider asking. Please note that I keep saying asking, not demanding.

I agree with you that there is nothing wrong in asking, generally, if someone would be willing to give up a seat because you are in pain. There might be plenty of people willing to do that, but who wouldn't know if you didn't mention your need. Maybe no person will give up a seat, but it doesn't really hurt to ask - if you aren't targeting a specific person, which might make him or her uncomfortable.

utterrandomness
05-05-2012, 11:59 PM
As I stated in my original comment, I would never ask a specific person.

stitchlovestink
05-06-2012, 12:06 PM
I agree with you that there is nothing wrong in asking, generally, if someone would be willing to give up a seat because you are in pain. There might be plenty of people willing to do that, but who wouldn't know if you didn't mention your need. Maybe no person will give up a seat, but it doesn't really hurt to ask - if you aren't targeting a specific person, which might make him or her uncomfortable.
Again, not to argue or meant to be rude, but I guess the difference between us is that I take responsibility for my own comfort and don't expect others to do that for me by giving up the seat they waited for. I would use appropriate means at the bus stop (aka wheelchair, scooter, rollator or whatever device I needed so that I could wait for a bus so that I knew I could sit without asking for a seat as there isn't a guarantee someone will give theirs up, then what do you do?) or I would use my own transportation. Trust me, been thru surgery that caused more damage than it fixed...did months of PT...and have permanent damage. Have Seen several Dr's now that have told me that my issue is 'not fixable' and will probably get worse. It's not fun. So I have to take responsibility for 'me' and be prepared. Yes it would be wonderful if the rest of the world were perfect but when people look at 'me', they don't see anything wrong... and I don't feel like having to explain my life to them. Yes, it sucks. But it's my responsibility, so I will accept it as these are the cards I have been dealt now.

But just out of curiosity, what would you do if someone didn't give their seat up?
Not that it is any of my business but, would you be able to ride standing up?

crashbb
05-06-2012, 12:24 PM
As I stated in my original comment, I would never ask a specific person.

How does that work? You just randomly announce, from the front of the bus, that you need a seat and hope that someone will stand up?

A Mickeyfan
05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I was in an ECV outside the Country Bear Jamboree when a boy of about four looked at it and said, "I want one of those!" His grandmother (or mother, maybe) smirked and said, "Yeah, sure must be nice."

I smiled and said, "Yeah, it's GREAT having a broken foot! Wanna trade legs?"

The little boy laughed, but the woman looked suitably abashed.

I would love a broken foot.. that will heal.. wanna trade my eyes for your broken foot...my eyes only will get worse... ;)

utterrandomness
05-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Again, not to argue or meant to be rude, but I guess the difference between us is that I take responsibility for my own comfort and don't expect others to do that for me by giving up the seat they waited for. I would use appropriate means at the bus stop (aka wheelchair, scooter, rollator or whatever device I needed so that I could wait for a bus so that I knew I could sit without asking for a seat as there isn't a guarantee someone will give theirs up, then what do you do?) or I would use my own transportation. Trust me, been thru surgery that caused more damage than it fixed...did months of PT...and have permanent damage. Have Seen several Dr's now that have told me that my issue is 'not fixable' and will probably get worse. It's not fun. So I have to take responsibility for 'me' and be prepared. Yes it would be wonderful if the rest of the world were perfect but when people look at 'me', they don't see anything wrong... and I don't feel like having to explain my life to them. Yes, it sucks. But it's my responsibility, so I will accept it as these are the cards I have been dealt now.

But just out of curiosity, what would you do if someone didn't give their seat up?
Not that it is any of my business but, would you be able to ride standing up?

I think the difference between us is that I'm willing to take responsibility for my health in a slightly different way. Not everyone has the capacity or the time to wait until there's a bus with empty seats.

Just out of curiousity, what happens to you when you don't have time to wait? Do you just give up on things you wanted to do because you're convinced that other people are more important than you? Your needs are important and you can ask for things that you need. You don't have to force anyone to get up, but you can ask.

You're right, it's none of your business, particularly as you basically called me a spoiled child for taking control of my situation.

utterrandomness
05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
How does that work? You just randomly announce, from the front of the bus, that you need a seat and hope that someone will stand up?

Yes, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have no problem explaining why I need the seat, and people are generally decent.

goofieslonglostsis
05-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Yes, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have no problem explaining why I need the seat, and people are generally decent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nowhere did Crash put in any judgement about "wrong" or "right". Crash simply asked a question. Why using that word and even underlining it to draw all attention to it? Might very well be me, but for me it comes across kinda....... overly defensive. As I read the post, I can read all kinds of options in there. Not in the least place somebody who wants to enlighten themselves in order to be able to apply gained knowledge where needed for themselves or others.

I think the difference between us is that I'm willing to take responsibility for my health in a slightly different way. Not everyone has the capacity or the time to wait until there's a bus with empty seats.

If that is ones need, that is a real shame but for those situations one should really reconsider if using the Disney transportation is fitting their needs or whether it is time to consider other forms of transportation.

Just out of curiousity, what happens to you when you don't have time to wait? Do you just give up on things you wanted to do because you're convinced that other people are more important than you?

Simple; I have taken my precautions where needed when I know beforehand this might be a realistic problem. Either I arrange transportation that has no risk of me waiting for a bus -or 5- or I accept the consequences of my choice to use transportation that indeed might result in me waiting. Not because I'm convinced others are more important than me, but because I'm convinced my need does not trump someone else. No seat available would result in me waiting a turn, I would never get on and basically get into a "make or break situation" where others can easily feel unfair responsibility for my health. Nowadays that option has long been past. No wheelchair spot is not getting on. And no, never would it even cross my mind to ask someone else to fold up a foldable manual chair when that is a technical option (and can be stored in such a way one more wheelchair could get on that would need to be tied into place), including when they have transferred to a regular seat.

And even more importantly; I have no control over something as Disney transportation. For all I now lightning strikes the proverbial 3 times in a row and all goes wrong that can go wrong and more. When I know my time is very limited, it's a lot more productive for me to take control and my responsibility where I can. Including opting for other transportation if it comes as tight as not being able to wait one more bus.

Your needs are important and you can ask for things that you need. You don't have to force anyone to get up, but you can ask.

In theory; true. Asking is very important. However in this situation I'm not one that considers this my norm. Not only because I would find myself lacking in taking my own responsibility, but also because I do not want to run the real risk of forcing that upon or even just creating a sentiment with anybody else that they'ld have to make place for me. Or indeed; be deemed rude. My needs end where that of someone-elses (might) begins. Even more so at WDW, where we know there is a relatively high percentage of those with all kinds of needs. Because it is such an accessible and special place. Because we all KNOW when busses will be overflowing, we all know how bad the situation gets at those moments etc. etc. etc.

You're right, it's none of your business, particularly as you basically called me a spoiled child for taking control of my situation.

Might that perhaps also be yourself reading it is such? Interpretation is a huge part of communication. Might also be a good chance it is not (just) SLT considering you a "spoiled child", it might very well be communication dynamics.

goofieslonglostsis
05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
As far as the general subject goes. I'm noticing a lot of possible communication hurdles. For instance when somebody looks or talks. It is easy to be sensitive to this subject, even more so when it's not yourself but a loved one with a need. With said sensitivity it is a lot easier to view each look as "see, they are looking at me because of -fill in something negative/judgemental". Might be, but it also might be somebody checking out a chair/stroller or whatever aid because they have a eureka-moment (cool aid/ never knew it, but that might work for Gran/Suzie/Tom). Might be because they love something you're wearing. Might be that special smile. Might be a hundred things. When you might be used to a 100 stares resulting in let's say 65 being negative, those 35 others are more easily put into the negative category by the way our brain works.

I'm lucky in the sence that I tend to be ignorant to looks, comments and what not unless I'm not my regular selve and have a bad day. I am so consumed with my/our goal and focus I simply don't even notice looks and comments. It has been a huge lesson. My parents, loved ones, friends are not so oblivious and notice it. After stare 100 when for instance going shopping many friends will feel beyond uneasy and feeling judged. Some times that is correct. Others; not so. Result; they feel worse than factually needed. Because I tend to be so oblivious, many times have resulted in later finding out why a stare or rumour happened. Both me and others were and are happily surprised with how many are not what we might think they are.

Also have learned that my own posture is a big influence. When I'm not owning my aid and situation, almost like embracing it and radiating out that "this is totally normal, nothing to be noticed", sure enough other people will pick up on my own unease with it and I do get more stares and comments. Did a trial once with my OT when she didn't believe it and reckoned it would be how I considered things. She followed me while shopping using an aid I'm very uneasy with and don't want to use versus my normal ease with my regular aid. She was amazed to notice the same. Has done this with other clients also to empower and found the same thing.

In a real bad mood? Oh boy......... poor me and poor rest of the world. :headache:

In cases where there are meant judgemental stares and comments? Humor is the best medicine. For myself as it brushes things of and turns it into a positive moment and it's the easiest way others open up to the idea that they might need to adjust their opinion or educate. If need be I'll be the first to go totally overboard with that to make sure the point does not get missed. My weird sence of humor and others seem to react to it in a very positive way. Sometimes it will have no influence what so ever on the other(s). As it happens in life. But as said the positive for me is a lot better than drifting on the negative and it tends to result in some nice interaction with others when around.

I am also the one that would speak up when hearing rumour, see pointing towards me but avoiding me like the plague so to say. I'll have a look, scale folks in and either go on my nutty selve of overdoing it and going so overboard with it that the "hint" gets across. Others love to get involved with such a sketch. Other times I'll simply put on an open smile and say "it's OK to ask me something if you want to, it's a lot easier to ask me about me as others don't know my business". Whether I'll answer the question and with what details is another thing, but it has lightened up situations many times. If beyond obvious judgemental? Not going to bother educating, but do use my humor in my own head so to say. In a very rare of such case when all the odds come together (beyond bad humor, beyond bad day, beyond unacceptable comments etc. etc.) I might not be so nice. Snap or stare back or comment back. Not only makes me feel worse eventually but hardly ever helps.

Kids are the best "weapon" ever in this! And there are loads of them at WDW. Kids are open, honest, have no idea of political correctness or whatever. They'll simply make a comment, look or ask. Love that additude and always "reward" it when aware. Will answer questions in an appropriate way, talk with them on their level or engage a look connecting to whatever they are looking at and how. They will simply accept what is or ask more questions if they don't understand yet. Fine by me. Sure enough, most of the times one such kid will result in me seeing lightbulbs going off over the heads of many other adults or teenagers in line. Score so far still results in kids looking (and pointing and screaming about me) more often than not because they have a positive sentiment. Love the fabric of my chair, love something I wear, love my wheels that light up, love my Animal-joystick, you name it. Not just that, but also can't count the times anymore where before you know it such a kid will "correct" or educate an adult or other child when they notice a stare, comment or whatever.

SenecaWolf
05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
:sad1:Oh dear, I was just trying to say that my son would be polite and give his seat and it seems to have blown up into something more :crazy2:

cosine4
05-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I fall into the category of "but you don't look sick", and am very self conscious about comments and stares. Through suggestion of family I have started to look at things from a forced different perspective "maybe they are just curious", "maybe they are trying to help" (prime example of the stroller as a wheelchair comments), "maybe they are just looking at ME and not my disabilities". Obviously there are many cases where someone is being truly rude, and those I try my hardest not to respond or let it get to me. Being self conscious this is very tough for me to try to look at these perspectives before getting torqued off, but I am trying.

When I was able bodied, I would give my seat to anyone who I thought needed it more than I did. Not because of societal norms, but because I wanted to. This many times was elderly, mothers with young children. Now that I can no longer stand on a bus, I too wait until there is a seat available before boarding. Now, I am extremely uncomfortable with all of the comments about "able bodied men" not giving up their seats for "...whatever...", I get glares and comments. I now much prefer using my own transportation because of these issues.

kaytieeldr
05-08-2012, 04:04 AM
I've experienced public transit bus drivers and train conductors making similar announcements voluntarily on my behalf.
Bus driver: "this bus isn't moving until this woman has a seat!" (five or six people stood)

utterrandomness
05-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I've experienced public transit bus drivers and train conductors making similar announcements voluntarily on my behalf.
Bus driver: "this bus isn't moving until this woman has a seat!" (five or six people stood)

I'm always a bit bemused by that situation, don't get me wrong, I'm always impressed when a bus driver stands up for me because it doesn't happen often, and I know I'm a little overweight, but I don't think I'm big enough to need 6 seats... :rotfl2::confused3

Love Tink
05-08-2012, 09:27 AM

Boy, I try to be a compassionate person, but that would really make me angry.

My husband is physically disabled (back), and if a bus is standing-room only, we decide on a case by case basis whether he can manage to stand for that ride or whether we want to wait for the next bus.

There's always another bus.

utterrandomness
05-08-2012, 09:42 AM

My husband is physically disabled (back), and if a bus is standing-room only, we decide on a case by case basis whether he can manage to stand for that ride or whether we want to wait for the next bus.

Yes, we know, it's incredibly rude to ask for someone to get up. We get it. We're terrible people for even considering asking for a seat.

By the way, I believe in the case you quoted, the poster was talking about public transit, not disney transit, you know, the kind of transit that has signs like this: http://www.grt.ca/en/accessibility/resources/Priorityseating.jpg. As in, dedicated seating for people with disabilities that people who don't have disabilities are supposed to give up for those who do.

clanmcculloch
05-08-2012, 09:56 AM
I really do think there's a huge difference between WDW transportation and public transportation. Where I grew up, public transportation is partially public funded meaning tax dollars. That alone makes a huge difference. In addition, at WDW there are limitted starting point to a route while public transportation there is a continuous loop. At WDW, if you wait for another bus then typically you'll be the first person on that next bus meaning you'll get a seat. With public transportation even if you wait for 10 more busses chances are they'll have approximately the same number of people already on it so you'll never end up with a bus unless you wait hours for completely off peak travel periods and in some cities that concept hardly exists. You can't compare WDW transportation to real world.

The trip we took where DH had a hernia causing doubling over pain if he had to use the muscles required to keep him balanced on a moving bus, we did not ask people to give up his seat to him. We had the option to wait for another bus if there was standing room only. I didn't feel that it was right to put others in the position of having to explain why they wouldn't give up their seats that they were just as entitled to as we were. We had the option to wait. We were typically on busses which were not standing room only because I'm a huge advocate of using touring plans so typically there weren't crowds but the few times there was standing room only we would just wait for another bus.

disney david
05-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Yes, we know, it's incredibly rude to ask for someone to get up. We get it. We're terrible people for even considering asking for a seat.

By the way, I believe in the case you quoted, the poster was talking about public transit, not disney transit, you know, the kind of transit that has signs like this: http://www.grt.ca/en/accessibility/resources/Priorityseating.jpg. As in, dedicated seating for people with disabilities that people who don't have disabilities are supposed to give up for those who do.

Disney also has signs posted on the windows letting guest know the same thing all disney buses meet ada requirements.

utterrandomness
05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Disney also has signs posted on the windows letting guest know the same thing all disney buses meet ada requirements.

Then why, pray, are you all so convinced that people who ask are the devil incarnate?

crashbb
05-08-2012, 10:12 AM

I was under the impression, that those were legally binding (for lack of a better term) in that a bus driver could not force someone to move out of those seats for someone else. I know it has been discussed here before.

disney david
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I was under the impression, that those were legally binding (for lack of a better term) in that a bus driver could not force someone to move out of those seats for someone else. I know it has been discussed here before.

they legal have to put the signs on the bus i think the only seats they can make someone move is the seats that have the tie down points under them. Your right about the other seats only thing they can do is ask for you to move but they can't make you get up.

disney david
05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Then why, pray, are you all so convinced that people who ask are the devil incarnate?

i never said that people that ask someone to give up their seat are evil but i do understand why some people might not want to ask.

utterrandomness
05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
i never said that people that ask someone to give up their seat are evil but i do understand why some people might not want to ask.

Yes, the attitude that you're asking for something completely unreasonable that you get from almost everyone, that's why people might not want to ask.

I would never demand that someone get up, or force them to do so, but I will continue asking, even if other people with disabilities consider me a complete jerk for doing so.

stitchlovestink
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Completely Agree! :thumbsup2

I really do think there's a huge difference between WDW transportation and public transportation. Where I grew up, public transportation is partially public funded meaning tax dollars. That alone makes a huge difference. In addition, at WDW there are limitted starting point to a route while public transportation there is a continuous loop. At WDW, if you wait for another bus then typically you'll be the first person on that next bus meaning you'll get a seat. With public transportation even if you wait for 10 more busses chances are they'll have approximately the same number of people already on it so you'll never end up with a bus unless you wait hours for completely off peak travel periods and in some cities that concept hardly exists. You can't compare WDW transportation to real world.

The trip we took where DH had a hernia causing doubling over pain if he had to use the muscles required to keep him balanced on a moving bus, we did not ask people to give up his seat to him. We had the option to wait for another bus if there was standing room only. I didn't feel that it was right to put others in the position of having to explain why they wouldn't give up their seats that they were just as entitled to as we were. We had the option to wait. We were typically on busses which were not standing room only because I'm a huge advocate of using touring plans so typically there weren't crowds but the few times there was standing room only we would just wait for another bus.

Bolding is mine....
that is exactly what I was trying to explain. YOU are choosing to be responsible for YOURSELF! NOT Expecting others to be responsible on your behalf! Because you don't have the time or really what it boils down to is wanting to wait for another bus. If that is such an issue then disney's internal transportation system really isn't right for that individual. They should look into renting a car. I and many others (as you can see from other posts on this thread) see this as rude/inconsiderate and it does give disabled guests a bad reputation. And then 'we' (general) wonder why disabled guests get such a bad rap. Well, because of 'demands' (I use this term loosely as it isn't really a true demand but there isn't really a true reason that has been given why the guest cannot wait for the next bus) such as this. Everyone getting on the bus is tired and wants to sit.

Yes, the attitude that you're asking for something completely unreasonable that you get from almost everyone, that's why people might not want to ask.

I would never demand that someone get up, or force them to do so, but I will continue asking, even if other people with disabilities consider me a complete jerk for doing so.

And this helps 'our cause' at Disney so much. I don't think you're a jerk. I just don't understand why you cannot wait for the next bus? Why do you think your time is any more important than anyone else's at Disney? Everyone has the same 24 hours in their day. I don't think others are more important than me, but I also don't think I am more important than them! :goodvibes

Just out of curiousity, what happens to you when you don't have time to wait? Do you just give up on things you wanted to do because you're convinced that other people are more important than you? Your needs are important and you can ask for things that you need. You don't have to force anyone to get up, but you can ask.

cm8
05-08-2012, 11:58 AM

::yes::, it has been hashed out on the Disabilities board:headache:
here are some if you want a good laugh and read popcorn::

*****Warning***** some of these threads may cause you to laugh, cry or cut someone :lmao: Proceed with caution:rolleyes1

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2840769&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2775275&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2772309&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2809119&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2857980&
highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883281&highlight=handicapped+seating+on+buses

I suspect that this thread will most likely end up how the majority of them were:rolleyes1

kaytieeldr
05-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Understood. This wasn't at WDW; it was a unique situation where ordinarily a tram runs between the subway station and a parking garage, but it was broken so they used buses instead. Since there aren't usually buses available for this purpose, there was no way to know when the next one would be along - so the driver wanted me to fit.

Lisab372
05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
It seems that my original question has been misunderstood. I realize that not everyone can see or understand the needs of a disabled person, but how do you handle the complaints and comments of others?

Our DD is loaded onto the bus with her chair but we always help her to transfer so that the bus seat does not have to folded down in order to accommodate others to sit. On a full bus my DH always stands with the chair away from others and also removes the leg lifts to avoid hitting other riders. I will also occasionally stand, however only directly in front of DD to be sure that she stays in place during the jerky ride. I feel that although we are loaded first to ensure a seat for our DD we are still considerate of other guests.

How do you handle people who rudely make public announcements that we are getting preferential treatment unfairly? If I explained our situation to everyone who seemed upset, our vacation time would be greatly reduced and certainly not enjoyed.

disney david
05-08-2012, 02:02 PM
It seems that my original question has been misunderstood. I realize that not everyone can see or understand the needs of a disabled person, but how do you handle the complaints and comments of others?

Our DD is loaded onto the bus with her chair but we always help her to transfer so that the bus seat does not have to folded down in order to accommodate others to sit. On a full bus my DH always stands with the chair away from others and also removes the leg lifts to avoid hitting other riders. I will also occasionally stand, however only directly in front of DD to be sure that she stays in place during the jerky ride. I feel that although we are loaded first to ensure a seat for our DD we are still considerate of other guests.

How do you handle people who rudely make public announcements that we are getting preferential treatment unfairly? If I explained our situation to everyone who seemed upset, our vacation time would be greatly reduced and certainly not enjoyed.

please don't feel like you have to do that your dd could stay in her chair and be tied down. that why they have tie down points it be safer for her so please don't feel like you have to transfer so not to take seats she has the right to use the tie down. And don't feel like your taking a seat your not you are taking a spot that your entitled to use so your dd can ride safely on the bus just like everyone else can. Sorry i know it your choice and what ever you choose is fine i just don't want you to think you have to do it.

stitchlovestink
05-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Hi Lisab372! Wow! :hug: to you and your DD!! I think by your post you are doing everything JUST RIGHT!! :thumbsup2
Yes, not everyone can see or understand the needs of a disabled person. I think those that "rudely make public announcments that you are getting preferential treatment" are being just that...Rude! And honestly, I think the bulk of those around you know the honest truth which is that those 'complainers' are just that...loud mouth complainers looking for something to complain about. You know in your heart you are not getting preferential treatment, please don't let 'those' people or their comments ruin your vacation. I would say, IMO, it would probably be best just to ignore the comments as no matter what explanation you try to offer, it will probably not be 'good enough' to the person making the public service announcement thereby only adding fuel to the fire. I can only imagine how difficult and hurtful it must feel. Please try not to let inconsiderate people and their comments ruin your trip. Most of the people around you are well aware by the equipment you are using for your daughter that this is not preferential treatment but a necessity for the safety of your daughter. Hugs to you! :goodvibes

SueM in MN
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM

How do you handle people who rudely make public announcements that we are getting preferential treatment unfairly? If I explained our situation to everyone who seemed upset, our vacation time would be greatly reduced and certainly not enjoyed.We have heard the same kind of rude comments, so I know exactly how it feels. My DD can't get of her wheelchair to transfer to a seat, so if we use the bus, we have no choice but to use the wheelchair tie down spot.

Sometimes people make very mean, hurtful comments. We choose not to comment back because our comments will not make those people understand and could just lead to an uglier situation.

Doesn't mean they don't hurt, but I don't see anything to gain from engaging most of those people.

clanmcculloch
05-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Please try to remember that you owe nobody any explaination of why you're using a chair for your DD. You are being a great parent who does what you need to do for your child. Do not engage hecklers/commenters/ignorant jerks who comment based on a fraction of a second view into your life. They're not worth it.

What bothers me I guess is the effect it has on the person being talked about. It's hurtful. While I wouldn't engage the commenter, if my child took notice I would certainly make a point of telling her that she is doing nothing wrong and has no other options but to use her chair and use the spot allocated for that chair. Explain that it's very unfortunate that people feel a need to comment about things that they don't understand and clearly that person doesn't understand your lives. Explain that it's important to remember that we don't know what's going on in other people's lives and that it's best to just assume that the person commenting is probably just going through some rough stuff themselves that makes them overly sensitive and therefore is lashing out at others around them and that their comments are really more about their issues than about DD (this may or may not be true, but it helps me to cope by thinking this way). :hug:

miami305
05-08-2012, 06:28 PM
There are obnoxious people in the world. Period. Disabled or not, you will still encounter rude people who have zero thought of consideration for others. Trust me! There are plenty of discussions on DIS about people giving parents with strollers the evil eye and nasty comments. Ignore the jerks. If not you, they would find something else to complain about. They have no other form of conversation.

I was raised that the able bodied always offer their seat to the elderly, disabled, pregnant, or mothers with very small children. It is common courtesy. It takes a cold heart to remain sitting in comfort while someone else struggles to stand.

utterrandomness
05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
There are obnoxious people in the world. Period. Disabled or not, you will still encounter rude people who have zero thought of consideration for others. Trust me! There are plenty of discussions on DIS about people giving parents with strollers the evil eye and nasty comments. Ignore the jerks. If not you, they would find something else to complain about. They have no other form of conversation.

I was raised that the able bodied always offer their seat to the elderly, disabled, pregnant, or mothers with very small children. It is common courtesy. It takes a cold heart to remain sitting in comfort while someone else struggles to stand.

Yes, and while you're judging people like me, remember that not all disabilities are visible. I need a seat, but I don't look like I do, and I get a lot of evil eyes for not jumping up so everyone older than me can have a seat.
I'm not saying that you're an obnoxious person, it just sucks when you can tell that people are judging you constantly because they perceive that you're a cold hearted witch.

tinkerpea
05-08-2012, 10:28 PM
We have encountered all sorts of problems when visting theme parks with our son who has ASD
Anyways i have a few different situations we have been in!

1.We was at a theme park in the UK and our son had a simular card to the GAC we was waiting at the exit for a ride that was pretty busy with our son and his twin brothers,the ride attendent came over and said do you have a VIP card or something we answered No its a card that allows us to get on from here due to my son,he answered WOW it must be great to get that and not have to que all day he doesnt even look "disabled" I replied that he wasnt phyisically disabled he has autism he turned around and said well that's even better!! lucky you to get a que jump card for only that!!:furious: I said yeh it's amazing we dont have to que because we have a child with autism.........

same day out and we are let on to the front of a ride, a girl around 10 shouts out to her dad i cant believe that women and her BRATT just got in on front of us they didnt even wait very long! im going to tell her she has to move. I turned around and said to the dad theres No need to tell us to move Im sure my son wont mind waiting so she can ride at the front! the dad said thats good I cant understand why you got on before us anyway(at this point my DH was looking pretty mad) I just told him I hope you never have to have a reason for your child to get this access and walked off to wait with my son!

At Disney we always get people telling us we are going the wrong way when walking up to que,or asking where they can go to get the pass we have,some people insist on trying to tell us over and over again about somethings that they feel we are doing wrong?

On the buses my mum uses an ECV and the driver always insists that we are to go on with her,well there is Me Dh and our 3 boys aged 6,6,9 we always feel embarassed to be let on 1st but the driver says if we dont get let on 1st then we may not get on the bus together at all! my boys always sit on my lap, and Dh has always been the 1st to get up for anybody who needs a seat even when a husband and wife are standing he always asks the wife is she would like to sit,we have gotten many dirty looks and comments about we should wait our turn we just ignore them!

Friendly Frog
05-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Do you feel the need to respond to abled guests complaints or comments?

Not so much a need as a desire. :lmao: (So far I have kept my mouth shut.)

I have seriously been considering making a "business" card for those getting into my business. It could be something educational and passively written that could be handed to a guest while I smile and keep on moving. I might make a couple for different occasions.

Some of the possible opening statements people might put on the card could be:

"I am sorry if I delayed you a bit so that I could ride the bus."-
It could go on to explain the important safety reasons why buses load the way they do and a reminder that you always exit last? It might also mention why it is important to transfer off of an ECV onto a seat? It might mention that they will be long gone and at the gate while you are still waiting to unstrap from the bus...or?

" I am not on an ECV because I am fat, I am fat because I am stuck on this darn ECV". "Actually, I am overweight because I have medical issues and I have limited mobility".-It could remind them that mobility or medical issues can cause a person to gain weight and how you have enough to deal with in life with out being labeled lazy too? Or that you WISHED that being lazy was the problem? Or maybe simply comment that your first choice of view in not other peoples tushes, or that the air down her is not better.. or what every you want to say? ( some people seem to think anthing over a size 6 is fat..geeze.)

"I have a medical reason why I must be on and off a mobility device...."

"My stroller is a qualified medical device the same as a wheelchair...""
I really don't get front of the line access". "Many times my wait is actually longer than yours...." or "I go to a new line to wait...." or.....

I think some people speak with out thinking. My hope would be to educate on what is really happening and maybe to embarrass them enough that they think first before making rude comments. If the comment impacted a child, I would remind them on the card how their comment could impact the child.

I think I might end every card with a statement something like "Life is not fair and I know that we all face struggles. I hope you never have to deal with the things that I am dealing with and I sincerely hope that you have a fun and blessed day today."

Who knows if I will really do this, but it makes me feel better just thinking about it. :rotfl:

Schmeck
05-09-2012, 06:07 AM
I usually don't but on our last trip we had a complaint that pushing our DD12 in a wheelchair all day is no different than this particular guest pushing her baby stroller all day, and why should the parent who was not pushing the wheelchair be allowed to accompany them since it means I would be guaranteed a seat.

The bus driver was wonderful, and noticed our daughter's anguish at the thought of me not accompanying her on her seat (as DH always folds the chair and stands at the rear, this led her to believe she would sit alone) and told her never to worry about being separated from her family. After he seated us, the driver closed the doors and actually spoke to the rude guest in line, although we have no idea what was actually said.

My husband was very angry, and if he had not been the one on the wheelchair ramp while moving, I am sure there would have been a very different outcome.

I feel that it works both ways - shouldn't all families be allowed to stay together on the bus? Why should some get preferential treatment?

justtobeme2
05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I feel that it works both ways - shouldn't all families be allowed to stay together on the bus? Why should some get preferential treatment?

It's not so they can sit or stay together ON the bus it's so they can all be on the same bus, that's it. If able bodied people see they can't all get on the bus they can quickly decide to exit if they wish to wait for another bus. Not the same with disabled person in wc or ecv.

utterrandomness
05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Not so much a need as a desire. :lmao: (So far I have kept my mouth shut.)

I have seriously been considering making a "business" card for those getting into my business. It could be something educational and passively written that could be handed to a guest while I smile and keep on moving. I might make a couple for different occasions.

Some of the possible opening statements people might put on the card could be:

"I am sorry if I delayed you a bit so that I could ride the bus."-
It could go on to explain the important safety reasons why buses load the way they do and a reminder that you always exit last? It might also mention why it is important to transfer off of an ECV onto a seat? It might mention that they will be long gone and at the gate while you are still waiting to unstrap from the bus...or?

" I am not on an ECV because I am fat, I am fat because I am stuck on this darn ECV". "Actually, I am overweight because I have medical issues and I have limited mobility".-It could remind them that mobility or medical issues can cause a person to gain weight and how you have enough to deal with in life with out being labeled lazy too? Or that you WISHED that being lazy was the problem? Or maybe simply comment that your first choice of view in not other peoples tushes, or that the air down her is not better.. or what every you want to say? ( some people seem to think anthing over a size 6 is fat..geeze.)

"I have a medical reason why I must be on and off a mobility device...."

"My stroller is a qualified medical device the same as a wheelchair...""
I really don't get front of the line access". "Many times my wait is actually longer than yours...." or "I go to a new line to wait...." or.....

I think some people speak with out thinking. My hope would be to educate on what is really happening and maybe to embarrass them enough that they think first before making rude comments. If the comment impacted a child, I would remind them on the card how their comment could impact the child.

I think I might end every card with a statement something like "Life is not fair and I know that we all face struggles. I hope you never have to deal with the things that I am dealing with and I sincerely hope that you have a fun and blessed day today."

Who knows if I will really do this, but it makes me feel better just thinking about it. :rotfl:

I've often thought about doing something like this, mostly in response to people's questions about what happened to my knee, or why I need xyz accommodation even though I'm young. It's super passsive aggressive, but it saves time explaining and it might make them feel like they should be minding their own business (which they should).

These ideas are hilarious. If you do them, you should put pictures of some kind to go with the text, memes or something. :rotfl2:

Schmeck
05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
It's not so they can sit or stay together ON the bus it's so they can all be on the same bus, that's it. If able bodied people see they can't all get on the bus they can quickly decide to exit if they wish to wait for another bus. Not the same with disabled person in wc or ecv.

But that's not what the OP stated - he stated 'accompanying her on her seat', not that he wouldn't get on the bus. I took that to mean that the daughter was freaked that he wouldn't be right next to her. Many children have the same reaction, regardless of a disability.

I've been split from my family getting on buses - a few of us got on, some of us moved down the aisle a bit and got stuck back there, only to find out that the 2 family members behind me couldn't get on, the bus was full. (We love to do WDW with the inlaws!) The others couldn't get off, so our family was split. My daughters were very worried about Nana and Papa, as they had only been to WDW when it was the MK, many, many years ago. The girls thought Nana and Papa would get lost.

utterrandomness
05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
But that's not what the OP stated - he stated 'accompanying her on her seat', not that he wouldn't get on the bus. I took that to mean that the daughter was freaked that he wouldn't be right next to her. Many children have the same reaction, regardless of a disability.

I've been split from my family getting on buses - a few of us got on, some of us moved down the aisle a bit and got stuck back there, only to find out that the 2 family members behind me couldn't get on, the bus was full. (We love to do WDW with the inlaws!) The others couldn't get off, so our family was split. My daughters were very worried about Nana and Papa, as they had only been to WDW when it was the MK, many, many years ago. The girls thought Nana and Papa would get lost.

But I think the difference in this case is that people in wheelchairs board first, and how could they guarantee that the other members of the party would get on if they didn't all board at the same time. When your whole party waits in line together and gets on at the same time, it's very different from half a party getting on and just having to hope that the other(s) get on.

Talking Hands
05-09-2012, 07:25 PM
The majority of the time I just ignore comments. There was one time though that i really went off on a guy. He was in my face yelling at me that I had no right to use his taxpayer money to visit Mickey. Geez, I do not get diability, I work and pay my taxes as does my husband and I can visit Mickey if I want. Flat told him that he needed to mind his own business as I was not using anyone's taxpayer monies. Just money earned by my husband and I. I won't be getting government money for another 10 months when I turn 65 and go on Medicare and don't plan on going on social security until I get it with no penalty because I enjoy my job and want to continue working as long as I can even if it is physically painful.

SueM in MN
05-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I am closing this thread because it has deteriorated into something not so nice.

I deleted a number of posts which were attacking other posters. The poster of the attacking posts was given points.
I also deleted a number of posts which were responding to, quoting or answering the attacks.

Please keep in mind that all the Moderators on the DISBOARDs are unpaid, volunteers. We give our time and energy because we think we have omething to offer.
We DO have personal lives and sometimes our lives are busy ( in my case, I have a daughter with multiple disabilities and her needs come first).

If you see a problem post, please use the red outlined 'report' button on the left hand side, under the posters information. That will alert the Moderators of a problem the quickest.