PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a BP 8 yo trip to WDW?

Zhoen
05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi there,

I've read a lot on here and am definitely planning to do stroller-as-wheelchair for DD8... but it's a twin-stroller that DD5 will be sharing... do you think that will be an issue?

DD8 is recently diagnosed, and she is "mercurial" to put it mildly. Her symptoms seem to come and go and new ones are always popping up, so we're trying to plan for the worst, while hoping for the best...

Our plans:
- stroller as wheelchair for calming her anxiety
- she wears an ID bracelet in case she runs and gets lost
- lots and lots of expectation management
- lots and lots of breaks
- 2 to 1 adult/child ratio so we can split up if necessary
- bottle misters and those weird neck thingies to keep us all cool
- lots of glow bracelets for dark rides, for ROAKs, and to help us spot her in the dark...
- small snacks and fidget toys for waiting in lines
- and, if necessary, a toddler harness... she can go fast when she's freaking out...

Anybody got any great tips? She got lost at DL about 2 1/2 years ago, turns out she had just decided to go on a ride without telling anyone, but it was terrifying. These days she often runs of on-purpose when she melts down, so we're trying to prepare.

Betty Rohrer
05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
not sure harness will work if she runs as it can break esp with her size. rest looks like you are prepared and planning ahead.

SueM in MN
05-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Twin stroller will not be a problem as long as it is not longer than 48 inches and not wider than 30 inches.

Along with what you wrote( which are great plans), a touring plan will be helpful. Easywdw.com and touringplans.com are popular ones. Those will help youplan to be in the least busy places with the shortest waits.
Also making sure she knows what you plan to do next will be helpful - avoid surprises.

dntd
05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
You can buy older child harnesses which at 8 she may need like this one: http://www.childharness.ca/2strap.html . As long as you have support and lots of planning go ahead and have fun:)

Maggie'sMom
05-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I have a bipolar 8 (almost 9) year old DD. I haven't needed to use the stroller as a wheelchair (although if I'd known that was an option when she was 3.5, I might have), but DD isn't much for running off. It sounds like that is a much bigger problem for you so using the stroller would be a huge benefit.

My tips are this:

*Get to the parks at open and leave mid-day. Return in the evening when it is a little cooler and the crowds are less.
*Take a swim break. Water is really soothing for DD.
*Pack snacks (which you mention) and water in your park bag. Getting dehydrated or hungry can really affect DD's mood.
*You don't mention sensory issues, but if your DD has problems with noise, use earplugs or noise-reducing earmuffs. I highly recommend the Peltor Kids earmuffs.
*Have a plan but be flexible.
*Involve her in the planning so she has input and knows what's coming up.
*Keep as close to her regular sleep schedule as possible. I made a huge mistake a few years back of letting DD stay up much later than normal and it was a disaster.
*If your DD is on meds, make sure to pack them in your park bag if you will be at the parks when she is supposed to take them. Many of the meds work best when they are taken at the same time everyday.

gilesmt
05-22-2012, 07:39 PM
I remember those days well, what am I talking about we still have those days, but now she is 21 so we don't freak out anymore.

Since I am blind and first DD has CP, we never used a stroller for second DD with bipolar, which was actually worked for us since the more she walked the tired she got, because she could out run me always.

But other suggestions, lots of finger toys to keep her occupied in line, pipe cleaners, in the hope that she won't start telling everyone in line off like mine did. Also, mine was not so much running off, only once or twice, our problem was slipping thru an opening in line and getting on the ride before us, tell a cast member right away, they always made sure they held her at the other end for a few moments, which was very nice of them.

Find those little quirky things that work for her, my DD always wears a sweatshirt around her waist tightly while there, she tells us she feels tied down this way. We always take time to swim each days it helps herstay focus when in park. If she has eating issues make sure to remember them when making readies, my daughter will not eat food if it touches each other on the plate, we have been able to ask for extra plates so it don't touch, or at all you can eat, we go thru 15 plates.

My daughter is older now and because I am blind she always gets the earphones and device that is for blind, disscribing what is going on, it helps her tune out other stuff and she is able to focus in on what she wants. You put a deposit down but get it all back when you return the device.

Have a great time.