PDA

View Full Version : Akershus/Tusker House--Mickey Waffles?

kkandaj
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
DS is allergic to milk, soy, eggs and nuts. Anyone know if TH or Akershus will have safe Mickey waffles? TIA!

clanmcculloch
05-03-2012, 01:21 PM
We've gotten allergy safe Mickey waffles at Tusker House. I've heard that Akershus doesn't have them but we've never been so I don't know for sure.

What nuts? I believe that when we had breakfast at TH they were using the Bob's Red Mill gluten free mix. Are you ok with their nut statement (same facility or maybe even line with an explaination of their cleaning practice I think)? We were free of all of those things except soy though I don't know if there was any soy in them since one of my kids can't use soy milk (other unidentified ingredient in soy milks; she's fine with some soy products).

kkandaj
05-03-2012, 01:42 PM
We've gotten allergy safe Mickey waffles at Tusker House. I've heard that Akershus doesn't have them but we've never been so I don't know for sure.

What nuts? I believe that when we had breakfast at TH they were using the Bob's Red Mill gluten free mix. Are you ok with their nut statement (same facility or maybe even line with an explaination of their cleaning practice I think)? We were free of all of those things except soy though I don't know if there was any soy in them since one of my kids can't use soy milk (other unidentified ingredient in soy milks; she's fine with some soy products).

Thank you! DS avoids all nuts (blood tests show extremely high for pn and some tn's, though he's never eaten a nut--his other reactions to egg, soy and dairy have all been life threatening so the allergist is not comfortable with any nuts at this time), but we are comfortable with Bob's Red Mill gluten free mix. I was wondering what they made them from. Will Disney still serve them to him since the label says "processed or made in a facility", etc? I know that he would LOVE these!!!

I'm kind of nervous about the options at Akershus. I'm hoping I'm not paying $30 for some bacon and fruit. Though he would probably eat $30 worth of bacon if I'd let him.:lmao:

clanmcculloch
05-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Chefs absolutely do give you the option of what you consider safe or not. I still remember arguing with a chef over whether or not pineapple is a citrus fruit because he didn't want to serve it to my kids and I KNOW it is in a totally different plant family (lots of people who avoid citrus do so because of acidity but my kids react to actual citrus fruits, not acidity, as evidenced by their enjoyment of the fact that I add Apple Cider Vinegar to lots of dishes and I've turned my 14yo on to white vinegar on french fries, a truely Canadian delecacy LOL). They honestly will leave it up to you. Frankly, I've never actually had a chef mention the nut warning on the mix which when I think about it should concern me though it doesn't (one of my kids avoids a couple types of tree nuts but I think the BRM warning is on specific nuts and not these ones and I trust BRM with their explaination of their cleaning process).

I won't book breafast at Akershus because I don't want to pay that kind of price for bacon and fruit. I think they may (maybe) serve Van's waffles but I can buy a box of those at home for $2.50 if I watch the sales so I know my kids won't want that at WDW. You know, I bet my kids would eat $30 worth of bacon at today's prices. LMAO!!! Between pineapple and bacon, they'd be happy. Throw in a few grapes and they'd be over the hill happy. I'm still not paying that price for such limitted options though.