PDA

View Full Version : ECV Question. TIA!

tina.tina
05-01-2012, 08:07 PM
I am planning a trip to WDW for me, DH, DS6, DD11, my parents, and my 11yo brother. My dad has had back surgery, DVT and Guillan-Barre syndrome, and also needs both hips replaced. He can't sit or stand for long periods.

Am I correct in thinking that a GAC is not something that will help him in this situation because Disney's policy regarding these issues is that a person with these issues should get an ECV?

If so, I believe my dad needs to use an ECV in WDW. He is stubbornly refusing and says he can sit on a bench if he gets tired. But I know he can't do this in line. I hope using FPs and taking breaks will be enough but I really wonder if our trip will be much easier for him physically with an ECV. I know that the ECV will also be very inconvenient in other ways and I'm sure that's part of why he doesn't want one.

I would really appreciate some advice from someone who is in this position. Does he need an ECV? If so, any suggestions for convincing him?

ttintagel
05-01-2012, 09:13 PM
The average WDW guest walks eight miles a day. It's a long time between benches, and they're often full. And, as you said, there are no benches in ride queues. He needs the ECV.

peemagg
05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
This past January we went with someone like your dad. She refused to use a scooter until I put it to her as a favor (I have my own personal one) and take it so I could stretch my legs. She took my scooter and then decided after one day without one, she needed one and didn't look back. She found that she had more fun when she was using it since she wasn't hurting.

See if there is some thing that you can do to put it as a favor to the rest of the group. That might make the difference.

Maybe if you can talk him into one, you could have him be the fastpass runner. Or if someone else in the group doesn't really need one, but has a reason that one could be useful for, do what I did.

Cheshire Figment
05-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are traveling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

SueM in MN
05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I wanted to point out that WDW’s suggestion for situations like this is to use a wheelchair or ECV because that is really the only thing that will help.
The distances walked between things are much greater than the distances in the attractions. GACs do not shorten the distance walked.
And, there is no place to sit in lines or preshows in most attractions. There is a list of attractions where you will stand in one of the posts on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

There are also fewer benches in the parks than most people realize.

Mrsjvb
05-02-2012, 09:15 AM
I
If so, I believe my dad needs to use an ECV in WDW. He is stubbornly refusing and says he can sit on a bench if he gets tired.

what benches?! seriously, I (attempted) to do this a few years ago in AK. literally went from spot to spot in search of a place to sit. there are NOT many benches and 98% of the time are already occupied. more than once by somebody changing their child in plain view( despite, once.. a RESTROOM being literally 10 feet away.. but I digress)

DH wanted to do the Roller coaster in AK.. and there was NO WHERE to sit and wait near the exit( or entrance) . I ended up half leaning against some rock while the African Storyteller did her thing..

I was MISERABLE and had to call it quits after a mere 3 hours.. probably a good 90 minutes longer than I should have attempted.

he needs either an ECV or a rollator if he needs a seat when he needs a seat.

ttintagel
05-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Here’s something to keep in the back of your head if he doesn’t change his mind: When I hurt myself on my last trip, my sister called Walker Mobility and they had a wheelchair waiting for me at the resort when I got back from the ER. I tried the manual wheelchair for a day and found that there were a lot more hills and ramps in the parks than I thought, called them back, and they brought an ECV to the resort first thing the next morning.

So, if he does get down there, tries to “tough it out,” and finds that it’s not working, the trip can be salvaged pretty quickly.